• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can imagine my friends rolling on the floor and laughing with tears if I would tell them: ok,attention,please,from now on,you have to call me Da Beautiful Freak or Mikafreak! :teehee:

This new freak-is-a-label-to-wear-with-pride thing is a very novel concept (or I've been living under a rock for 40 years :naughty:). The only time I've heard the meaning of freak altered amongst my peers (and even people 10 years younger) is when they are talking about sex.

Yes if someone said in the 1980s that they were a Michael Jackson freak that's exactly how I would take it. That they just mean that they are more fanatic than the average person about Michael Jackson. But in this era where fandoms are nicknaming themselves - Little Monsters, KatyCats, etc. it makes it sound like you're calling yourself a Freak with a capital F if you know what I mean.

And if people want to do that they can go ahead but it's not something I would choose to associate with Mika or MFC myself.

I believe the hippies in the 60s started the phrase "let your freak flag fly" so it's not that new. Counter cultures are generally proud of not fitting in. I wouldn't say you've been living under a rock at all, just that you sound like you fit in so you haven't looked at it from a different perspective. I'm completely clueless about what it's like to be normal. :aah:

I'd also say it isn't a recent phenomena that fandoms are giving themselves nicknames, but as more people interact on the internet, more people outside of fandoms end up finding out about them. I'm a Trekker, an X-Phile, a Whedonite, a Whovian, a Peaks Freak, a Potterhead. :teehee: Personally, I've never taken fandom names all that seriously.

There are definitely things fans do that I wouldn't want associated with Mika, though. It is what it is. :naughty:

I wouldn't say you've been living under a rock at all, just that you sound like you fit in so you haven't looked at it from a different perspective. I'm completely clueless about what it's like to be normal. :aah:

I don't think I'm any more or less "normal" than most people I guess. I look at fitting in as a skill you learn as a child and it doesn't necessarily reflect how you think or feel. If I just did and said whatever I wanted I'd probably have a hard time getting along in the world and even holding down a job. If I had my way I'd be wearing pajamas 24 hours a day for example. :teehee:

In my experience conformity was strictly enforced by other children from about the ages of 10-14. And then once you get past the first year of high school people start valuing individuality. I really find it difficult to imagine Mika struggling so much with his peers at the age of 16 or 17 and sometimes wonder if it's a hangover from the trauma he experienced at the age of 9 because he didn't know better than to not wear a bow tie at school. :naughty: But of course I am not a boy, I am not gay, I was not in high school in the late 90s and I didn't go to a posh private school in London. So it's impossible to put myself in his shoes.

Basically my high school years were like your average John Hughes movie where everyone was cliquey but at the same time they all interacted and no one was really tormented. But perhaps I was just extremely naive and I had no idea what was going on in boy's locker rooms, etc. Also I found things really intense when I was about 11 or 12 and everyone was struggling with this new social order of leaving childhood so maybe this is happening later now because no one lets their kids out of their sight anymore.

I'd also say it isn't a recent phenomena that fandoms are giving themselves nicknames, but as more people interact on the internet, more people outside of fandoms end up finding out about them. I'm a Trekker, an X-Phile, a Whedonite, a Whovian, a Peaks Freak, a Potterhead. :teehee: Personally, I've never taken fandom names all that seriously.

Yeah that's where I've definitely been living under a rock. I've never been part of a fandom and never really knew about it until fairly recently - except for Trekkies. :naughty:

Well that's the other thing, I don't identify with it anyway. The internet has a way of making one feel a freak for having a normal childhood, being fairly social and conforming to society because that's what humans do to feel like they belong. I mean I guess I have fairly radical ideas that don't make me fit in on a certain level. I am an atheist, I don't like babies, I think working is for suckers, etc. but I don't feel the need to spend my life railing against it.

It makes me sad for Mika that he still expresses what sounds like a deep sense of unbelonging because the qualities that made him not fit in as a child are what make him such an interesting adult.

That's how I felt even with British English. My parents used to watch Coronation Street and I couldn't understand half of what was going on. It's not just the accents but the vocabulary and the cultural references. I didn't even realize how much of it I was mssing until after I'd lived in the UK. Your mind has a way of just filtering out what you don't understand - at least I find that with television.

Could it be then that many people don´t understand the word "gay" and they filter it out of their minds? That would explain why many still think he is bi...

:lmfao:

And now, seriously... It´s a good explanation. For my exam, I have been told I should NOT use "americanism" cause I´m applying for a Brittish English certificate. And now... I´m not sure if the English I know is more American or Brittish... LOL *ready to screw it up*. I´ll try to remind it´s braces instead of suspenders. I´m pretty sure it´ll be usefull :mf_rosetinted:

Could it be then that many people don´t understand the word "gay" and they filter it out of their minds? That would explain why many still think he is bi...

Oh dear I really can't believe this. Although I saw a very long and interesting discussion on a gay blog about Mika and sexuality in general that I think dated from the time when the bisexual story came out. There were many bisexual men saying that bisexuals often come out as gay because it's easier since there is so much pressure and biphobia within the gay community. Maybe if Mika had been more unequivocal when the bisexual story came out I could entertain that possibility (that he's just saying he's gay because he's in a long term relationship with a man and everyone insists you label yourself as gay in that situation). But he was so obviously skirting the issue in 2009 and now he is being very clear so I tend to believe him now. :naughty:

And now, seriously... It´s a good explanation. For my exam, I have been told I should NOT use "americanism" cause I´m applying for a Brittish English certificate. And now... I´m not sure if the English I know is more American or Brittish... LOL *ready to screw it up*. I´ll try to remind it´s braces instead of suspenders. I´m pretty sure it´ll be usefull :mf_rosetinted:

I can barely remember which is which sometimes. Some words you would never say in Canada - like braces for suspenders or lift for elevator. But there are other words that just aren't as common but I expect other Canadians to get the meaning - like dodgy or knackered. But with the last group I sometimes can't remember if they are even Britishisms or not. When I grew up most of my friends were either born in Britain or their parents were but I would think the latest gemeration are fully Americanized and would find these words old fashioned, if they knew them at all.

I believe the hippies in the 60s started the phrase "let your freak flag fly" so it's not that new. Counter cultures are generally proud of not fitting in. I wouldn't say you've been living under a rock at all, just that you sound like you fit in so you haven't looked at it from a different perspective. I'm completely clueless about what it's like to be normal. :aah:

There are definitely things fans do that I wouldn't want associated with Mika, though. It is what it is. :naughty:

I used to be a "Beauty". That doesn't mean I'm beautiful, I've always been just as ugly as ever. But I was a fan of a TV show in the 80's, that not many on here will remember because they wern't born yet.

It was a TV version of the story of Beauty And The Beast. It starred Linda Hamilton as the beautiful Catherine, and Ron Perlman as the Lion-man Vincent. Male fans of the show were called "Beasties". It was really great and involved Catherine's world, which was Manhatton, and Vincent's domain, which was the tunnels under Manhatton. If it ever comes on TV again it's worth a look as it was really brilliant, and Vincent had the only head-of-hair that is as gorgeous as Mika's.

There's a re-make of the show, but it's rubbish.

Oh dear I really can't believe this. Although I saw a very long and interesting discussion on a gay blog about Mika and sexuality in general that I think dated from the time when the bisexual story came out. There were many bisexual men saying that bisexuals often come out as gay because it's easier since there is so much pressure and biphobia within the gay community. Maybe if Mika had been more unequivocal when the bisexual story came out I could entertain that possibility (that he's just saying he's gay because he's in a long term relationship with a man and everyone insists you label yourself as gay in that situation). But he was so obviously skirting the issue in 2009 and now he is being very clear so I tend to believe him now. :naughty:

I can barely remember which is which sometimes. Some words you would never say in Canada - like braces for suspenders or lift for elevator. But there are other words that just aren't as common but I expect other Canadians to get the meaning - like dodgy or knackered. But with the last group I sometimes can't remember if they are even Britishisms or not. When I grew up most of my friends were either born in Britain or their parents were but I would think the latest gemeration are fully Americanized and would find these words old fashioned, if they knew them at all.

Oh yes, sorry, I forgot to add the :mf_rosetinted: right after that "gay" issue :aah:

I can´t distinguish among American and British not even in the accent. In fact I find odd to understand anyone who is not Mika :mf_rosetinted: And now I´m serious. Maybe it´s just cause I´m used to listen to him, but I understand almost the 100% of he says, but then, I watch a film (either American or British) and I don´t get a f*ck :mf_rosetinted:

I still have time since the exams are on May and June... LOL

Oh yes, sorry, I forgot to add the :mf_rosetinted: right after that "gay" issue :aah:

I can´t distinguish among American and British not even in the accent. In fact I find odd to understand anyone who is not Mika :mf_rosetinted: And now I´m serious. Maybe it´s just cause I´m used to listen to him, but I understand almost the 100% of he says, but then, I watch a film (either American or British) and I don´t get a f*ck :mf_rosetinted:

You know, when Mika refers to his accent as an airport accent, he is totally right... Generally, he has regional (either US or UK) in his accent or vocabulary. Also, i find he adjusts his speaking whenever he's in the UK... That's probably why you can understand him.

If I can give you a tip, when you listen to an english movie, put the english subtitles as well, it will be easier to follow:thumb_yello:

I can understand Mika's French better than other people's too.

Rosa we would have a hard time communicating. All I ever heard in South Africa was "What??" "What??" and they are English speakers. :naughty:

Rosa we would have a hard time communicating. All I ever heard in South Africa was "What??" "What??" and they are English speakers. :naughty:

Thanks Mika for being so easy to understand:wink2: he speaks slower in french than a native french speaker and his french us also somewhat international!

You understood me!

(Thanks for posting the collumn ^^)

To anyone interested in checking more about Henry Darger

http://www.folkartmuseum.org/darger

Btw, looking at some of his works I found this one, seems like it was the main inspiration for the Yasmine's artwork for this collumn

y1pykvaayi5xmsdvghrmb5yw43c2tjuiianfkiyrwzefyown8vmpvtuwunzlrfrcijort9ysgwmzjw.jpeg

DaWack-ELAB.jpg

If I can give you a tip, when you listen to an english movie, put the english subtitles as well, it will be easier to follow:thumb_yello:

My TV has only the option of Spanish subtitles LOL

Actually I had some a hard time talking to Rose... Hi Rose!! :bye::huglove: and even Kath and Vicky... I´d say I understand better to all those non-English speakers, I mean, people who their first language in not English. Of course, I know it´s because we all use a plain English with less slang or common saying, I know that, but I also think that we have a more "international" accent.

I understand Rox quite fine, but again, she´s french :aah:

You understood me!

Most of the times!! :aah: And when I didn´t I just pretended :mf_rosetinted:

My TV has only the option of Spanish subtitles LOL

Actually I had some a hard time talking to Rose... Hi Rose!! :bye::huglove: and even Kath and Vicky... I´d say I understand better to all those non-English speakers, I mean, people who their first language in not English. Of course, I know it´s because we all use a plain English with less slang or common saying, I know that, but I also think that we have a more "international" accent.

I understand Rox quite fine, but again, she´s french :aah:

Most of the times!! :aah: And when I didn´t I just pretended :mf_rosetinted:

What about when you rent DVDs? I can choise between french, english and spanish...

• 3 weeks later...