• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would fire someone who wears perfume too because it gives me a blinding, nauseating headache. :aah: I have to cover my mouth and nose as I run through the main floor of department stores because it can make me ill in a matter of one or two minutes of exposure. I think all these nasty perfumes should be illegal in the workplace. And the celebrity endorsements are laughable. I went to a drugstore yesterday and there was a creepy life sized cardboard cutout of Justin Bieber blocking the entrance, trying to flog his scent. :shocked:

Not sure what Mika means about smells being the hardest to recall. I am an aural person but I still have strong smell recall and I would think most people do as it's such a primitive sense and integral to eating and just generally staying alive. Every time he mentions the plastic dolls I feel slighly nauseous because I remember exactly what they smell like and I find it disgusting. :naughty:

It says page doesn't exist!

Maybe Team Mika only posted it to Italy? When they were giving out Star Academie tickets the note was for people who apoke French on Canada so no one else saw it.

EDIT: Thanks Mari.

I would fire someone who wears perfume too because it gives me a blinding, nauseating headache. :aah: I have to cover my mouth and nose as I run through the main floor of department stores because it can make me ill in a matter of one or two minutes of exposure. I think all these nasty perfumes should be illegal in the workplace. And the celebrity endorsements are laughable. I went to a drugstore yesterday and there was a creepy life sized cardboard cutout of Justin Bieber blocking the entrance, trying to flog his scent. :shocked:

Not sure what Mika means about smells being the hardest to recall. I am an aural person but I still have strong smell recall and I would think most people do as it's such a primitive sense and integral to eating and just generally staying alive. Every time he mentions the plastic dolls I feel slighly nauseous because I remember exactly what they smell like and I find it disgusting. :naughty:

I so love this smell :aah: I remember smelling toys when I was child because of this smell... LOL

Do anyone of you know this toy?

tarta-4_uac.jpg

It´s called "tarta de fresa" (strawberry cake) and I remember having that doll when child, and the wonderfull smell it had lasted for decades!! I swear!!

perfums and strong odors make me ill as well :aah:

Mika, I don't agree with you this time, it was a nice and interesting read though

tarta-4_uac.jpg

It´s called "tarta de fresa" (strawberry cake) and I remember having that doll when child, and the wonderfull smell it had lasted for decades!! I swear!!

i think it's called strawberry shortcake here and my dolls did not smell like that, they smelled like processed petroleum. :naughty: I generally hated dolls anyway and preferred stuffed animals. No surprise I grew up to have pets instead of children. My mind was set even at the age of 3. :naughty:

i think it's called strawberry shortcake here and my dolls did not smell like that, they smelled like processed petroleum. :naughty: I generally hated dolls anyway and preferred stuffed animals. No surprise I grew up to have pets instead of children. My mind was set even at the age of 3. :naughty:

:lmfao::lmfao:

In my defence I´ll say I hated both, dolls and stuffed animals. I liked bricks of construction the most :mf_rosetinted:

And I think here plastic dolls smell like petroleum too... but I like it. I love the smell of gas when I go to the petrol station :aah:

:lmfao::lmfao:

In my defence I´ll say I hated both, dolls and stuffed animals. I liked bricks of construction the most :mf_rosetinted:

And I think here plastic dolls smell like petroleum too... but I like it. I love the smell of gas when I go to the petrol station :aah:

gosh here too! I love the smell of petrol and money :teehee: Whenever I have new money I always smell them, and rub them near my ears so that I can hear the crunchy scumptious sound of it :naughty:

I so totally agree with Mika about scents and the powerful memories that they conjure up for us. I can't say I would ever go so far as *collecting* smells, but I definitely find them fascinating.

I attended a demonstration last year at a food & wine festival that was conducted by the curator of "olfactory art" at New York's Museum of Arts and Design. He put together a "dinner" of smells -- we didn't actually get food, we got samples of the various smells that would have made up a dinner, and he talked about how those smells were created. We were also given synthetic smells to compare to natural smells, and he talked a great deal about what went into the "design" of perfumes. It was really very interesting, especially to someone who loves food -- the aromas are such an important part of eating, not to mention cooking. Yes, I'm a bit of a smell geek, too. :rolls_eyes:

I so totally agree with Mika about scents and the powerful memories that they conjure up for us. I can't say I would ever go so far as *collecting* smells, but I definitely find them fascinating.

But doesn't he say that smells are the most difficult to recall? Sounds like he's trying to make out like he has some bizarre relationship with smell that most people don't.

gosh here too! I love the smell of petrol and money :teehee: Whenever I have new money I always smell them, and rub them near my ears so that I can hear the crunchy scumptious sound of it :naughty:

LOL I don´t feel like a weirdo, thanks :aah:

But doesn't he say that smells are the most difficult to recall? Sounds like he's trying to make out like he has some bizarre relationship with smell that most people don't.

Yes, but I think he is wrong here. I do remember my mom´s smell perfectly and she died 17 years ago, so.... I´m sure every mom here remembers perfectly the smell of their kids when they were babies. For me, that is the most special smell ever... :wub2:

I would fire someone who wears perfume too because it gives me a blinding, nauseating headache. :aah: I have to cover my mouth and nose as I run through the main floor of department stores because it can make me ill in a matter of one or two minutes of exposure. I think all these nasty perfumes should be illegal in the workplace. And the celebrity endorsements are laughable. I went to a drugstore yesterday and there was a creepy life sized cardboard cutout of Justin Bieber blocking the entrance, trying to flog his scent.

Not sure what Mika means about smells being the hardest to recall. I am an aural person but I still have strong smell recall and I would think most people do as it's such a primitive sense and integral to eating and just generally staying alive. Every time he mentions the plastic dolls I feel slighly nauseous because I remember exactly what they smell like and I find it disgusting.

I bet if you went to a drugstore and bumped to a creepy life sized cardboard cutout of Mika in Hugo Boss campaign, you would take a picture with him. :mikacool: Btw I find that Boss perfume a bit :bleh: I hope Mika doesn't use it. :aah:

LOL I don´t feel like a weirdo, thanks :aah:

Yes, but I think he is wrong here. I do remember my mom´s smell perfectly and she died 17 years ago, so.... I´m sure every mom here remembers perfectly the smell of their kids when they were babies. For me, that is the most special smell ever... :wub2:

He is definitely wrong. I still remember the heavy perfume that my teacher use to wear. She was using some rose perfumed air freshener for the classroom too. :sneaky2: It was a nightmare of smells. She was a stiff person that used to beat "naughty" children's palms with a stick.:sneaky2: I was a good pupil, beaten only once, no consequences (I think:aah:) She was in love with Mohamed Ali, and had poster of him posing stabbed with some arrows, inside a closet in school. That closet smell of paper and cardboard and my mind connects this smell (as I work in school now, it's quite often) with a picture of Ali. :naughty:

One of my favorite smells from childhood was a smell when you open a metal box with coulour pencils. I still have stabilo box that I use as a child and opening it from time to time. I swear it's an instant time machine that brings me back to my childhood room.

You are so right. The smell of my kids when they were babies :wub2: Actually the smell of any baby is awesome. :teehee:

Edited by nenartus

I so love this smell :aah: I remember smelling toys when I was child because of this smell... LOL

tarta-4_uac.jpg

Oh I remember Strawberry shortcake... but I didn,t like her smell... fake strawberry smell LOL

Well, he says that they are the "hardest to remember" -- and then clearly goes on to describe what he remembers his mother smelled like. So he DOES remember the smell.

I think I know what he's trying to say, even if he didn't really explain it particularly clearly. It's such an abstract thought, and it's how I feel about scents, as well. I took it to mean that you can think about what something smelled like, and in your head you can sort of imagine the smell... but you can't *actually* smell it, so it's always just a little out of reach. For example, my old dog Bud had a particular smell -- as most dogs do. :naughty: And I thought I'd never forget it. In my mind, I can remember what he smelled like, and how it made me feel to snuggle with him, but I can't quite REALLY smell it -- it's this *memory* of how I felt when I was smelling that smell, not a real smell in the here and now. I can't quite capture the exact smell, I can't recreate it. And yet, if I ever were to smell it again, I'd recognize it in an

instant! Hmmm, this is harder to articulate than I imagined, but as I said, I think I get what he's trying to say. :dunno:

All this smell talking reminds me of A la recherche du temps perdu (In Search of Lost Time or Remembrance of Things Past in english) by Marcel Proust, where the the taste of a madeleine cake dipped in tea inspires a nostalgic incident of involuntary memory. The narrator remembers having a similar snack as a child with his invalid aunt Leonie, and it leads to more memories of Combray, where the action is taken. I remember studying this book in English literature, long long ago when dinosaurs wandered the Earth...

The smell that remembers me most from my childhood are crayons and ink, as i used to spend the whole time drawing and painting...

Oh, and my granny's cooking...Even though soemtimes in restaurants i get the smell of her food, when food comes to the table it doesn't taste the same...:( I will never again eat that marvellous cooking again...

Edited by willywonka

Well, he says that they are the "hardest to remember" -- and then clearly goes on to describe what he remembers his mother smelled like. So he DOES remember the smell.

I think I know what he's trying to say, even if he didn't really explain it particularly clearly. It's such an abstract thought, and it's how I feel about scents, as well. I took it to mean that you can think about what something smelled like, and in your head you can sort of imagine the smell... but you can't *actually* smell it, so it's always just a little out of reach. For example, my old dog Bud had a particular smell -- as most dogs do. :naughty: And I thought I'd never forget it. In my mind, I can remember what he smelled like, and how it made me feel to snuggle with him, but I can't quite REALLY smell it -- it's this *memory* of how I felt when I was smelling that smell, not a real smell in the here and now. I can't quite capture the exact smell, I can't recreate it. And yet, if I ever were to smell it again, I'd recognize it in an

instant! Hmmm, this is harder to articulate than I imagined, but as I said, I think I get what he's trying to say. :dunno:

You explained it really well. I said that he was wrong, but you really can't REMEMBER the smell, or as you said recreate it, as you can remember the sound or picture. But the feeling when you smell something familiar is much intense then when you see a picture or hear a sound.

My memories of smells from childhood would be plastic dolls, crayons, and Play Doh. I do love those smells, but I can't say I really relate to this article . . . I've never been able to detect any "top notes" or "base notes" or whatever in perfumes! Am I the smell equivalent of color-blind? :aah:

Ingie, it's true. it's terrible, smells like cleaning solvents and air freshener.

I like SOME celebrity perfumes, such as Katy Perry's Purr and Dita von Teese's perfume, but this one was just terrible. It smelled very cheap even though it was rather expensive. I didn't even dare to smell Justin Bieber's perfume:teehee:

I took it to mean that it's hardest to remember (in general) but he has this extraordinary connection with smell (that generally others do not) and in fact it is so strong that it overpowers his connection with sound even though he's a musician.

I think I know what he's trying to say, even if he didn't really explain it particularly clearly. It's such an abstract thought, and it's how I feel about scents, as well. I took it to mean that you can think about what something smelled like, and in your head you can sort of imagine the smell... but you can't *actually* smell it, so it's always just a little out of reach.

That's not true for me. :dunno: I think memories of smell are stronger than anything because they have lingered throughout my lifetime even though I rarely give them any conscious thought. Mika mentions plastic dolls and I am grossed out because I can remember exactly what they smell like. I remember exactly what that powdery disgusting Oscar de la Renta fragrance smells like even though I haven't smelled it in 25 years. I remember exactly what grape erasers smell like even though I haven't smelled them in 35 years. But the teacher in my class when I had a grape eraser? I can't remember her face very well, just a vague sense that she was tall and brunette. I certainly can't remember her voice.