Interesting column!

A famous italian actress said: "don't cover my wrinkles that took me a lifetime to make them come to me." She was absolutely right! I think that a little bit of imperfection is the characteristic that distinguishes us from others. Sometimes we try to satisfy the needs of others for love and for sociality ... but it is not clear that the most important thing is to like ourself with our merits and defects!

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting column!

A famous italian actress said: "don't cover my wrinkles that took me a lifetime to make them come to me." She was absolutely right! I think that a little bit of imperfection is the characteristic that distinguishes us from others. Sometimes we try to satisfy the needs of others for love and for sociality ... but it is not clear that the most important thing is to like ourself with our merits and defects!

exactly :thumb_yello:

Just got my copy here's a quick translation, sorry for any possible mustake :teehee:

COSMETIC SURGERY? I HAVE NO BIAS, BUT I DEFEND WRINKLES

When I was a kid I was fascinated by people's wrinkles. I watched them wondering what they was caused by, I considered them a sort of compendium of person's life. It had become a sort of obsession as much that in family I was scold: "Do not stare at people and even touching them on the face".

I remind of the advertising campaign for a perfume I was a protagonist last year (Hugo Boss campaign).

That photo was the result of 8h shooting where an hairdresser army alternated to tame my hair to give to my head the desired shape.

Even my tie position was calculated at the millimiter by a committee of experts in marketing, After the retouching to the photos I liked that idealized version of myself: cool, cured, but very unreal.

Perfume spots often intentionally deviate from reality, but some really loses the boundaries between photography and illustration. If in the reality I had that face I'll look like an alien!

Imperfections make me who I am, recognizable to myself and to the eyes of my friends.

If a real dog, a puppy,found himself in front of a plush dog barks furiously because he sees another animal but it does not perceive the smell.

This causes anxiety and sometimes aggressiveness.

This comparison helps to understand that strange feeling you experience in front of a woman like Jocelyn Wildenstein, who had a plastic surgery to look like a cat.

It's an extreme case, close to the art, just like David LaChapelle's muse a tranny transformed in an "extreme Marilyn Monroe".

But beside this cases, why people often have no worries to submit to cosmetic surgery?

Everyone stare himself in the mirror and sometimes think we have something to fix, fill here and there, lift a sagging cheek or shrink a nose.

In the past considered an exclusive female interest, nowadays cosmetic surgery is used also by men,indeed, male sector is booming, but that doesn't make the headlines.

Instead when a popular woman submit to cosmetic surgery, even for a lil retouch, the news goes all around the world.

I think it dipends by the fact that women are more competitive.

In the female magazines are on top the list of worst dressed, of much more restored of the worst hairstyles.

A male magazine would never publish something like that. Men do not find satisfaction in criticizing other men physic's, but they care about appearance, neither more nor less of women.

In my opinion cosmetic surgery involves two major risks.

First of all it risks to be used as status symbol, to assert their wealth, many appreciate it, I don't.

Second point, taking inspiration by the perfect faces of the actress in the glossy magazines, there's a danger of chasing an ideal out of reality.

Who says that appearance doesn't count makes a huge mistake.

It's the face that we judge in a person and make us choose how to relate with her. And it's instinctive, crossing a person in the street with whom we will never have anything to do, analyze the appearance based on a complex set of parameters.

Wrinkles on the face, the appearance of a person reveals his character, his lifestyle, the world which he/she belongs to.

If cancelled it could give rise to strange reactions in the observer, even revulsion.

Dogs need to sniff to identify, we look in the face.

I know it seems to be repetitive I just had no time to search more synonyms :doh: anyway hope u'll enjoy it! :)

Francesca X

Grazie mille Francesca :huglove::flowers2:

That column is amazing, I think that every word written is truth, and I love the last sentence "Dogs need to sniff to identify, we look in the face." Wise words, wise words.

:shocked: UH! What's this? But I have to say that this women reminded me a little of... Madonna ... :aah: Think about it, I think that people who make plastic surgeries mainly all look the same. My opinion.

Wow this is fascinating Marilyn, thanks for sharing your experience.

Does this mean you would not recognize a photo of Mika's face if it was out of context? Like what if you'd stumbled across that blog the other day where the woman who took his photo didn't know who he was and he wasn't wearing anything we're familiar with?

I am very good at distinguishing voices so I think I could probably be able to work around this too but I still find it so hard to imagine!

I have seen pictures, out of context, of curly, brown haired, brown eyed men, and thought it might be Mika, but it hasn't been. Then I feel a fool.

It is hard, out of the context of where you'd normally see a pic Mika, eg, on MFC. It's hard to explain, but because I can register a face when I'm looking at it, I know Mika is a gorgeous guy, because I remember my reaction to seeing his face. But with him, and anyone else, it's hard to recognise someone out of context. Like if I usually see you in Church, I'll probably know you because I expect to see you. I go a lot by voices too, and I think that's why, when I first heard Mika's singing voice, I latched on to it, because I'm sensitive with hearing voices.

Incidentally, all the people I've liked on TV (for liked, read big crushes on them) have been unusual looking guys, like Mr Spock from Star Trek, and Vincent-the-lion-man from Beauty and the Beast. I've always enjoyed fantasy and Sci Fi, I think, because the alien/fantasy characters don't look the same as others do so they're easier to recognise. But when I was little we always watched westerns in black-and-white. One dark-haired cowboy looked like the next one, and I couldn't figure out who was who because I can't retain the face when I can't see it. My family used to despair of having to explain to me, and my sister said I wouldn't know John Wayne, from his horse!

Edited by Marilyn Mastin

Oh, I feel I'm starting to get some wrinkles. I blame Mika :lmfao:

Blame Mika works for everything :mikacool::naughty:

Interesting column!

Couldn't agree more!

Sometimes I dislike the beauty spots on my face but it wouldn't look the same wothout them :)

Btw my pleasure to translate the column u're all more than welcome! :huglove:

I found this piece quite riveting. I personally have a fine border when it comes to cosmetic surgery, and it was nice to he see has an opinion on it, also! I had never thought of dogs in this sense, and he is quite right!!! I will surely be keeping this saved on my computer for further use. Perhaps bring it up in one of my summer essays? "As the great man Mika once said...." :thumb_yello:

Thanks Francesca for translating and thanks Robertina for the scan:thumb_yello:

Very interesting article once again and the last sentence is very wise indeed! Totally agree with what he writes and needless to say I'd rather have wrinkles than a plastic and expressionless botoxed face.

Cant wait to read the original version of the article:biggrin2:

The illustration is brilliant as well, it captures so well the subject of the column!!

Also Marilyn and Nina thank you for sharing your experiences about prosopoagnosia.

Thanks Francesca for translating and thanks Robertina for the scan:thumb_yello:

Very interesting article once again and the last sentence is very wise indeed! Totally agree with what he writes and needless to say I'd rather have wrinkles than a plastic and expressionless botoxed face.

Cant wait to read the original version of the article:biggrin2:

The illustration is brilliant as well, it captures so well the subject of the column!!

Also Marilyn and Nina thank you for sharing your experiences about prosopoagnosia.

Your welcome.

i like so much the style of Mika´s writing cause is very similar to mine..This mean that he think about something and create all a world around this thought... like in Return of Puccinella and other histories...very personal and very atractive too.. i think that in his music too...this history remenber me and my fault in not recognize in the second before when i could or must to do...whe i saw any famous...

Perhaps for my unfaith or not hope in those famous..

and other time like said...

16vS0kTtrGc

i know is other history but ""return of puccinella"" had a big effect in me so i decided write something more ....

""the Return of Pulcinella""

This well done reflections on life. Before the life you give as a lesson.

But being a Pulcinella, or a mime, or a simple spectator is not anything to be welcomed and congratulated commended.

When a deadlock in your life te forced to observe from outside, and increase value it worth or more

These desires:

Happiness, friendship, love ....

Unbereable are sometimes ..

Like in a state of ill health.

Many poets speak of this state of necessity "

I like tooo "The dance movement of a FEW hundred people" that is observed for example. on a beach where you can practice outdoor Aerobics "

by unemployed people time waster With Nothing better to do "in festivals.

My personaly view: I like the part where you can talk with someone desperately to take your problems to light ... Yeahh ..

"For to try finding a real answer That is humanly impossible to ... This chase from answers in Itself is absurd .." "

Heh heh heh .. point of view .. I'm going to train in the world completaly divorced from around me "

It is characteristic of an artist or a poet does not it? Aldo Vison autism disease.

Many other artists or celebrities like MJ. dressed in clown costumes to go unnoticed or live these situations as normal ...

This is a humanly unbearable burden.

I'm giving my suport to you for that ...

Edited by mer

LOZZA posted the scan on their Facebook

385582_403483029690496_959882232_n.jpg

it´s a pity but it´s true all this words in our world..

"'IT´s the face that we judge in a person and make us choose how to relate with her. And it's instinctive, crossing a person in the street with whom we will never have anything to do, analyze the appearance based on a complex set of parameters.

Wrinkles on the face, the appearance of a person reveals his character, his lifestyle, the world which he/she belongs to.

If cancelled it could give rise to strange reactions in the observer, even revulsion.

Dogs need to sniff to identify, we look in the face."

But i´m not so much obsessive with this...

I've read the translation (thanks for the link :thumb_yello:). it's really an interesting topic :wink2:

there are two or three things I might criticize about his style (not judging on the translations, but on the original English versions) but I just don't feel like doing it now :aah:

I've used his columns in my class with some adult students before, and since plastic surgery was the topic of one on our previous lessons, I think I might use this text as well as an additional reading exercise :aah:

• 2 weeks later...