Mika @ Piazza Duomo, Milan - June 07, 2011

Sarina

Good to see him anyway.

Private is private as far as I am concerned and as has been said....it wouldn't be right (IMO) to talk about a private gig in advance.

Personally I think that Mika makes himself very available during the tours. He is under no olbligation to do so all of the time.

The Twitter debate could, and no doubt will, go on forever.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to see him anyway.

Private is private as far as I am concerned and as has been said....it wouldn't be right (IMO) to talk about a private gig in advance.

Personally I think that Mika makes himself very available during the tours. He is under no olbligation to do so all of the time.

The Twitter debate could, and no doubt will, go on forever.

Exactly! :wink2:

This thread is so funny..:teehee:

Yes I'm aware of the painting in Canada, but that's possible they were trying to save money, there has been a recession on (still on).

:lmfao:you can't be serious....What does the recession have to do with him asking fans last minute to paint his planets? :roftl:

He probably had this great idea last minute or did not plan with the time it takes to execute it, he accidentally met fans he trusted and he suddenly had the solution on his hands. :doh: If he had no money to pay people to do the job for him he would have simply asked his crew, used fewer planets for the first couple of shows or make people work on it until dawn. :dunno:

As for P Diddy and his moaning about the cost of his shows, it sounds more like a show-off to me. Tours of established artists are not about making an investment into sales later but about reaping the benefit of their fame (ie.they are making profit).

Mika is not on a mission to perform anywhere at any cost just to please fans. If tickets do not sell for particular shows, they get cancelled like Leipzig and Prague last year.

As far as I am concerned, he can earn the money the way he pleases and spend it all on chandeliers for his new house. All I am interested in is his new album and new shows. I don't think anyone missed out on anything by not attending this show, unless they have never seen Mika, of course.

Edited by suzie

After all the talking about this event there's one question I really want to ask!

Looking at the pictures and the bit of vid we've got, I got the feeling of sadness. Mika does not look happy on the pictures, I would say he has a sad look in his eyes! :shocked:

What do you think?

I don't think he looks sad or less happy, but performing to a crowd of fans must be very different than performing to a crowd of celebs/VIPs/whatever. He's probably more smiley, more energetic when the crowd is more...Mika-ish? :wink2: Maybe he was just concentrated in doing his job and nothing more. :wink2:

I'm so tired, I actually read this as 'new shoes'. It made sense, too. So I almost didn't notice my mistake. :doh:

:lmao:

No, I am not interested in his shoes. Neither the old, nor the new. The less focus on them the better.

I don't think he looks sad or less happy, but performing to a crowd of fans must be very different than performing to a crowd of celebs/VIPs/whatever. He's probably more smiley, more energetic when the crowd is more...Mika-ish? :wink2: Maybe he was just concentrated in doing his job and nothing more. :wink2:

Wanted to say the same. With his fans he is free and happy, and with VIPs he's just working.

:lmfao:you can't be serious....What does the recession have to do with him asking fans last minute to paint his planets? :roftl:

He probably had this great idea last minute or did not plan with the time it takes to execute it, he accidentally met fans he trusted and he suddenly had the solution on his hands. :doh: If he had no money to pay people to do the job for him he would have simply asked his crew, used fewer planets for the first couple of shows or make people work on it until dawn. :dunno:

As for P Diddy and his moaning about the cost of his shows, it sounds more like a show-off to me. Tours of established artists are not about making an investment into sales later but about reaping the benefit of their fame (ie.they are making profit).

Mika is not on a mission to perform anywhere at any cost just to please fans. If tickets do not sell for particular shows, they get cancelled like Leipzig and Prague last year.

As far as I am concerned, he can earn the money the way he pleases and spend it all on chandeliers for his new house. All I am interested in is his new album and new shows. I don't think anyone missed out on anything by not attending this show, unless they have never seen Mika, of course.

I'm well aware of how the business side works, and I read about, and listen to programmes about the state of the industry as it stands at the moment, and from what I'm hearing not many people are raking it in right now. You may think tours are running at a profit, but from what I've been hearing, a lot are just breaking even.

You say you are interested in his new shows, well he doesn't magic the money to pay for them out of thin air, hence why he does shows like this Italian one and the private birthday parties.

And Diddy wasn't moaning about the costs of the shows, it was a programme about how the business worked, and he was interviewed about how things were broken down, he explained what the money he was left with was spent on. It was quite enlightening.

A few years back I heard a similar interview with the groups Supergrass and The Flaming Lips, and they both said that the money they were getting from the merchandise, was pretty much their income, as the money from ticket sales paid for everything else.

So it's no wonder they take these big money private shows, to boost their income, and to help with paying for shows.

Well, as someone said before, he has 8.000.000... he´s not that poor as to need to take advantage of fans to make his set... :aah:

And about the gigs... well, maybe he´s not being rich because of what he earns on tour, but if you count 40 euros each ticket for 20.000 people going to the gig, I guess he´s not losing money either :aah:

Maybe every now and then he does a gig where there are less people, but if he´s in the middle of the tour, and he has scheduled another gig near that town (where he sold less tickets) he can perform there since anyway he needed to pay the hotel and stuff for everyone, so.... :dunno: sorry if I don´t make sense, it´s still hard to write long sentences :aah:

I'm well aware of how the business side works, and I read about, and listen to programmes about the state of the industry as it stands at the moment, and from what I'm hearing not many people are raking it in right now. You may think tours are running at a profit, but from what I've been hearing, a lot are just breaking even.

You say you are interested in his new shows, well he doesn't magic the money to pay for them out of thin air, hence why he does shows like this Italian one and the private birthday parties.

And Diddy wasn't moaning about the costs of the shows, it was a programme about how the business worked, and he was interviewed about how things were broken down, he explained what the money he was left with was spent on. It was quite enlightening.

A few years back I heard a similar interview with the groups Supergrass and The Flaming Lips, and they both said that the money they were getting from the merchandise, was pretty much their income, as the money from ticket sales paid for everything else.

So it's no wonder they take these big money private shows, to boost their income, and to help with paying for shows.

I really think he lost money in Parc del Princes... but the normal gigs... I think he´s earning money... he once said that since now people is not buying cds cause they are downloading songs from the net, musicians need to earn their living by performing live... we all know the set can be expensive and stuff, but he pays it once, and then uses it forever...

No, I am not interested in his shoes. Neither the old, nor the new. The less focus on them the better.

:roftl: Ditto.

Regarding the planets, he made sure that we knew exactly how much they cost and that he'd be extremely unhappy if we f*cked them up. I think he's just tight. :lmfao:

But we got $7 scoops of ice cream in NYC so it all evens out. :mf_rosetinted:

Well, as someone said before, he has 8.000.000... he´s not that poor as to need to take advantage of fans to make his set... :aah:

And about the gigs... well, maybe he´s not being rich because of what he earns on tour, but if you count 40 euros each ticket for 20.000 people going to the gig, I guess he´s not losing money either :aah:

Maybe every now and then he does a gig where there are less people, but if he´s in the middle of the tour, and he has scheduled another gig near that town (where he sold less tickets) he can perform there since anyway he needed to pay the hotel and stuff for everyone, so.... :dunno: sorry if I don´t make sense, it´s still hard to write long sentences :aah:

I think that figure is more his net worth, than what he has in the bank. That's what these polls are usually based on.

And he doesn't get that full 40 Euros, it's broken down, a percentage goes to him, a percentage to the venue, a percentage to the promoter. And out of his percentage, he has to pay for crew etc, so he doesn't get a great deal back after all that.

Like I said in my previous post, the merchandise helps with income, but the private gigs are where most of his money comes from, and then he seems to plough a fair bit of that back into shows.

I'm not saying he doesn't have a fair bit of money in the bank, just not as much as people seem to think.

It was a private event, and I don't recall anybody getting upset when he did the birthday party for that chick back in January (no matter how envious we might have been). I personally, didn't even get too upset when I wasn't allocated tickets for the fiat 500 launch, where the only way to get in was by winning, yet it was still a public thing. Disappointed, yes, but if you're at the point where it ruins your life because other people got to see him and you didn't, you really need to seek help.

I speak for myself and obviously I dont ruin my life for that =P

But about what you said...as I told before, I think we can't compare a private birthday gig with this one who was for an event, even if private because the situations are very different.

After that I want to specify again that I'm not disappointed because I wanted to go, but only because I wanted to show my support and I couldnt. That's all!

The thing is, Mika not saying a word on Twitter or anything IS pretty much in line with how he's been interacting (or not) with his fans over the past six or eight months. He hasn't even come back to share song titles/lyrics like he mentioned [...]

You're right..but I'm wondering what happened..interacting with fans is really important IMO.

Edited by Sarina

Sorry, but it still sounds funny...:roftl:

I don't need lessons in economy as I have studied it and it is not tv programmes I learned that no-one 'magics' money :wink2: So claiming that a successful singer-songwriter who is worth £8million is financing his tours from private birthday parties sounds slightly ridiculous to me.:naughty: I mean, do you really think that he is doing these shows so that he can finance his summer festival appearances? If so, then let me just say that I really don't think so.

Edited by suzie

I mean, do you really think that he is doing these shows so that he can finance his summer festival appearances?

I think he has probably taken a hit on certain tours in the past but I would think the festivals are also money making opportunities and that's the main motivation for anyone participating in them.

I think that figure is more his net worth, than what he has in the bank. That's what these polls are usually based on.

And he doesn't get that full 40 Euros, it's broken down, a percentage goes to him, a percentage to the venue, a percentage to the promoter. And out of his percentage, he has to pay for crew etc, so he doesn't get a great deal back after all that.

Like I said in my previous post, the merchandise helps with income, but the private gigs are where most of his money comes from, and then he seems to plough a fair bit of that back into shows.

I'm not saying he doesn't have a fair bit of money in the bank, just not as much as people seem to think.

yeah, I know that, maybe he only gets 25 euros from each ticket... but still, it´s a lot!! :aah:

Sorry, but it still sounds funny...:roftl:

I don't need lessons in economy as I have studied it and it is not tv programmes I learned that no-one 'magics' money :wink2: So claiming that a successful singer-songwriter who is worth £8million is financing his tours from private birthday parties sounds slightly ridiculous to me.:naughty: I mean, do you really think that he is doing these shows so that he can finance his summer festival appearances? If so, then let me just say that I really don't think so.

I think he has probably taken a hit on certain tours in the past but I would think the festivals are also money making opportunities and that's the main motivation for anyone participating in them.

I talked to the guy of Low Cost festival, and I told him that fans were complaining about how expensive the tickets were, since here in Spain we´ve been seeing Mika for 30 euros, while the festival costs 40. Well, this guy told me "you think it´s expensive? let me tell you that I can´t pay Mika with what I´ll be earning from the day that he performs. He´s the lead attraction of the festival, and we need to make money to pay him, so, trust me, 40 euros is not enough!!!"

So I guess he´s beeing well paid for festivals. :mf_rosetinted:

Or that guy was a moaner :mf_rosetinted:

Well, this guy told me "you think it´s expensive? let me tell you that I can´t pay Mika with what I´ll be earning from the day that he performs. He´s the lead attraction of the festival, and we need to make money to pay him, so, trust me, 40 euros is not enough!!!"

Guess he should have called it the Low Profit Festival instead. :teehee: