Mika @ Piazza Duomo, Milan - June 07, 2011

Sarina

Sorry, but it still sounds funny...:roftl:

I don't need lessons in economy as I have studied it and it is not tv programmes I learned that no-one 'magics' money but claiming that a successful singer-songwriter who is worth £8million is financing his tours from private birthday parties sounds slightly ridiculous.:naughty:

I mean, do you really think that he is doing these shows so that he can finance his summer festival appearances?

Did I say it was for the summer festivals?

No.

I said it was for the tour, which he'll be doing next year, and obviously at some point this year he will start the planning for.

So he will need to make sure he has the capital to fund it, and obviously shows like the private ones go some way to going towards that.

He doesn't do them for fun, he does them to put money in the bank, so that he can go on to put on the tours.

If he didn't do them, then he wouldn't be putting on the fancy shows that he does, because what he makes from the tours wouldn't cover it, especially during this rececession. Especially as he hasn't put the ticket prices up much during it (the UK shows were the same price almost as the previous tour in 07, only went up £2), he could quite easily have hiked them up to £30-£35, which would have given him quite a comfortable profit margin, but he didn't.

My business may not be running great right now, but I do know about economics too, so I am aware of how things work:wink2:

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess he should have called it the Low Profit Festival instead. :teehee:

:roftl::roftl:

I´m not sure, but maybe many of the bands are "paying" to perform there :aah: :aah: This guy really told me that Mika was the most expensive musician of the festival. I hope he earns enough money to buy new clothes... I´m quite tired of his white jeans-white shirt-navy blue jacket :mf_rosetinted:

I talked to the guy of Low Cost festival, and I told him that fans were complaining about how expensive the tickets were, since here in Spain we´ve been seeing Mika for 30 euros, while the festival costs 40. Well, this guy told me "you think it´s expensive? let me tell you that I can´t pay Mika with what I´ll be earning from the day that he performs. He´s the lead attraction of the festival, and we need to make money to pay him, so, trust me, 40 euros is not enough!!!"

So I guess he´s beeing well paid for festivals. :mf_rosetinted:

Or that guy was a moaner :mf_rosetinted:

The festival here in Portugal lasts 3 days, and the daily tickets are 25 euros. There's Mika, there's Cranberries, Moby, Skunk Anansie, Manu Chao and other bands, who need to get paid too. I don't think Mika will make a lot of money from this festival, the same way he certainly didn't when he came to Coimbra... :fisch::naughty:

So my guess is, Mika is doing some festivals AND private events to get the money to record the album and do a big tour to promote it, for obviously, getting some profit too afterwards, for the other things he wants. :wink2:

We can't blame him, can we? If we want another tour like the Imaginarium Tour, and another freakin' awesome album, we just need to accept this kind of "public" appearances he makes. It's his job, remember? Let's not moan much. :aah:

Edited by Mary

yeah, I know that, maybe he only gets 25 euros from each ticket... but still, it´s a lot!! :aah:

I talked to the guy of Low Cost festival, and I told him that fans were complaining about how expensive the tickets were, since here in Spain we´ve been seeing Mika for 30 euros, while the festival costs 40. Well, this guy told me "you think it´s expensive? let me tell you that I can´t pay Mika with what I´ll be earning from the day that he performs. He´s the lead attraction of the festival, and we need to make money to pay him, so, trust me, 40 euros is not enough!!!"

Or that guy was a moaner :mf_rosetinted:

Usually the bulk of the ticket sales, last time I looked went to the venue, then the promoter, the the artist, so probably not.

Don't know how it works with festivals, like you say there, they probably pay a larger percentage to the artist.

I speak for myself and obviously I dont ruin my life for that =P

But about what you said...as I told before, I think we can't compare a private birthday gig with this one who was for an event, even if private because the situations are very different.

After that I want to specify again that I'm not disappointed because I wanted to go, but only because I wanted to show my support and I couldnt. That's all!

They're not different situations. Someone with a lot of money got their people to call his people. A date was set, monies exchanged, and he turned up and sang. The people at the event were guests of the host. They did not pay for their tickets. They are both private. They are both the same.

How can you show your support other than by going? His twitter account is still there for you to tweet him and say 'I am supporting you.' But other than that I'm not really sure how you'd go about it.

The festival here in Portugal lasts 3 days, and the daily tickets are 25 euros. There's Mika, there's Cranberries, Moby, Skunk Anansie, Manu Chao and other bands, who need to get paid too. I don't think Mika will make a lot of money from this festival, the same way he certainly didn't when he came to Coimbra... :fisch::naughty:

So my guess is, Mika is doing some festivals AND private events to get the money to record the album and do a big tour to promote it, and obviously, to get some profit too, for the other things he wants. :wink2:

We can't blame him, can we? If we want another tour like the Imaginarium Tour, and another freakin' awesome album, we just need to accept this kind of "public" appearances he makes. It's his job, remember? Let's not moan much. :aah:

I too think it depends on the people going to the festival. This Low Cost is not a big festival, so, if they need to pay the canon for the musicians, it´s not the same if they´re selling 40.000 tickets than if they just can sell 15.000.

Imagine that, Mika had 20.000 fans in Vigo, but in this festival there´ll be only 15.000 people. The venue is not that big, so, I guess this is the point.

If he didn't do them, then he wouldn't be putting on the fancy shows that he does, because what he makes from the tours wouldn't cover it, especially during this rececession. Especially as he hasn't put the ticket prices up much during it (the UK shows were the same price almost as the previous tour in 07, only went up £2), he could quite easily have hiked them up to £30-£35, which would have given him quite a comfortable profit margin, but he didn't.

Just because he's not making money hand over fist in the UK does not mean his tours are unprofitable. Perhaps the UK is being subsidized but not necessarily by private gigs, but other tours.

The tickets in Japan were $350 for 4 shows. Shows in Canada were up to $65 each. My first Mika gig was $15. A recession in the UK has not stopped him from increasing concert fees around the world since 2007.

I think he has probably taken a hit on certain tours in the past but I would think the festivals are also money making opportunities and that's the main motivation for anyone participating in them.

yes, in early 2007 he was making a loss for sure and perhaps also on some US tours - they were more like a means to promote himself there. However, these festival organisers must have offered him enough to fly over and break his intense and long term record making process. :naughty:

… that is exactly why he is not playing everywhere, only at some random places where organisers think his name will attract enough people to the festival and where they can afford to pay him.

:roftl: Ditto.

Regarding the planets, he made sure that we knew exactly how much they cost and that he'd be extremely unhappy if we f*cked them up. I think he's just tight. :lmfao:

:naughty: actually i remember Mika telling the "tout le monde en parle" host that his set was being built in Toronto "as we speak" i guess that didn't include the planets :aah:

I too think it depends on the people going to the festival. This Low Cost is not a big festival, so, if they need to pay the canon for the musicians, it´s not the same if they´re selling 40.000 tickets than if they just can sell 15.000.

Imagine that, Mika had 20.000 fans in Vigo, but in this festival there´ll be only 15.000 people. The venue is not that big, so, I guess this is the point.

Marés Vivas is a small festival too, the place takes up to 25.000 people, max. And believe me, it should take less, the festival is HELL when it's crowded! :aah:

This year, TMN turned it to it's main sponsor, and I'm guessing they only hired Mika because of that (TMN sponsored the gig in Lisbon and Sudoeste, and also used WAG in their TV spots), and maybe they said "look, here's the deal, you won't be paid as much as you did before, but we can guarantee it will be full, and you'll be headliner, bla bla bla", something like that. :wink2:

:naughty: actually i remember Mika telling the "tout le monde en parle" host that his set was being built in Toronto "as we speak" i guess that didn't include the planets :aah:

Pretty sure he was lying. The only other thing in the set was the sofa Bab and I were sitting on, sipping rooibos. :roftl:

I said it was for the tour, which he'll be doing next year, and obviously at some point this year he will start the planning for.

So he will need to make sure he has the capital to fund it, and obviously shows like the private ones go some way to going towards that.

He doesn't do them for fun, he does them to put money in the bank, so that he can go on to put on the tours.

If he didn't do them, then he wouldn't be putting on the fancy shows that he does, because what he makes from the tours wouldn't cover it, especially during this rececession.

Not necessarily. It's possible his label could be providing money to offset the costs of his shows as well. When it comes to a world tour, this can amount to hundreds of thousands of dollars. If that's the case with Mika, it would mean he's not footing the bill directly for every aspect of his tours.

Marés Vivas is a small festival too, the place takes up to 25.000 people, max. And believe me, it should take less, the festival is HELL when it's crowded! :aah:

that is almost the double of Low Cost :mf_rosetinted:

by the way, if Mika is too expensive, I know an irish guy who could sing Mika´s songs. :mf_rosetinted:

Seriously, I think Mika has a canon (I don´t really know if it´s the way you say it, it means that he worths xx and that is the amount he´s earning each time he performs) and he´s not changing it according to the possibilities of the festival... If you want him, he worths 300.000 euros. That´s all. That´s my opinion :aah::aah:

Not necessarily. It's possible his label could be providing money to offset the costs of his shows as well. When it comes to a world tour, this can amount to hundreds of thousands of dollars. If that's the case with Mika, it would mean he's not footing the bill directly for every aspect of his tours.

That link is interesting!! Thanx!!

Pretty sure he was lying. The only other thing in the set was the sofa Bab and I were sitting on, sipping rooibos. :roftl:

to be fair, i think he had the idea in his head... he knew the tour was going to be called 1955, he did mention a lost astronaut being in space when he was talking to Guy Laliberté's wife (he was in space at that time) etc.... but i think the details (such as planets) were just an idea that popped in his head after.

Just because he's not making money hand over fist in the UK does not mean his tours are unprofitable. Perhaps the UK is being subsidized but not necessarily by private gigs, but other tours.

The tickets in Japan were $350 for 4 shows. Shows in Canada were up to $65 each. My first Mika gig was $15. A recession in the UK has not stopped him from increasing concert fees around the world since 2007.

Did he not have to transport the set out there?

Or did he have a second set in reserve, I thought I saw somewhere that he had an A and a B set, one more transportable than the other, even so transportation costs to the Asian gigs can't have been cheap, unless he had another set built out there, which again is more money to shell out.

It all builds up.

I did mention that earlier, that the record company probably put some money up, but they have to recoup that money, usually from album sales like you said before. But as the last album didn't do quite as well as the first, as Jazzy mentioned, it must have been pretty tight this time around.

They're not different situations. Someone with a lot of money got their people to call his people. A date was set, monies exchanged, and he turned up and sang. The people at the event were guests of the host. They did not pay for their tickets. They are both private. They are both the same.

How can you show your support other than by going? His twitter account is still there for you to tweet him and say 'I am supporting you.' But other than that I'm not really sure how you'd go about it.

Yes they are IMO and I'll try to explain why again even if my english won't help me. Doesn't matter if people pay tickets or not..but if we're talking about a birthday party where only friends and parents are invited and it's organized by a singular person (rich or not..) not famous or something similar you can't compare it with an EVENT organized by a company where the guests are famous, it's a public thing, papers and tv talked about it..isnt the same thing at all.

About the support, I mentioned twitter like you said because it stills the most direct way to send messages and I only would like to say just a "good luck" or something like that to feel a part of something releated to Mika. I dont see the point of doing it now considering that he didn't tweet about it and we knew it thanks to a person who told us...how can you show support like that?

that is almost the double of Low Cost :mf_rosetinted:

by the way, if Mika is too expensive, I know an irish guy who could sing Mika´s songs. :mf_rosetinted:

Seriously, I think Mika has a canon (I don´t really know if it´s the way you say it, it means that he worths xx and that is the amount he´s earning each time he performs) and he´s not changing it according to the possibilities of the festival... If you want him, he worths 300.000 euros. That´s all. That´s my opinion :aah::aah:

:mf_rosetinted:

Yes, I know, but when there are contracts with sponsosrs and all, it may change, no? :dunno: Or it can be something like "Mika costs between X and Y" and then they negociate.

I'm saying this because it's a small festival, the promoter is not one of the "big" ones,...

I believe TMN has some sort of contract with Mika, the same way they now have with Scissor Sisters. And if it wasn't for them, Mika wouldn't come to Marés Vivas, because I believe their budget, specially now with this recession, is not very high. They were the only festival that didn't raise the daily ticket price... :wink2:

Anyway, I'm just glad he's coming here, for once I won't need to travel to see him, and it's on the cheapest festival we have here.

So thank you, Mika, whatever the reason you're doing this is. :mf_rosetinted:

:mf_rosetinted:

Yes, I know, but when there are contracts with sponsosrs and all, it may change, no? :dunno: Or it can be something like "Mika costs between X and Y" and then they negociate.

I'm saying this because it's a small festival, the promoter is not one of the "big" ones,...

I believe TMN has some sort of contract with Mika, the same way they now have with Scissor Sisters. And if it wasn't for them, Mika wouldn't come to Marés Vivas, because I believe their budget, specially now with this recession, is not very high. They were the only festival that didn't raise the daily ticket price... :wink2:

Anyway, I'm just glad he's coming here, for once I won't need to travel to see him, and it's on the cheapest festival we have here.

So thank you, Mika, whatever the reason you're doing this is. :mf_rosetinted:

I agree :mf_rosetinted:

In fact we were spending the money this summer in the spanish-portuguese fans meet,so... if you Mika just read our post about that meet up, and decided to go to Mares Vivas just to please us even if they don´t pay you, thank you :mf_rosetinted:

If you Mika just go to Mares Vivas cause you are earning a lot of money, thank you too.

:aah::aah:

Yes they are IMO and I'll try to explain why again even if my english won't help me. Doesn't matter if people pay tickets or not..but if we're talking about a birthday party where only friends and parents are invited and it's organized by a singular person (rich or not..) not famous or something similar you can't compare it with an EVENT organized by a company where the guests are famous, it's a public thing, papers and tv talked about it..isnt the same thing at all.

About the support, I mentioned twitter like you said because it stills the most direct way to send messages and I only would like to say just a "good luck" or something like that to feel a part of something releated to Mika. I dont see the point of doing it now considering that he didn't tweet about it and we knew it thanks to a person who told us...how can you show support like that?

Why would you need to show him your support like that?

I mean, he KNOWS we're here. We show him our support on a daily basis, by posting on MFC, promoting whatever he's doing, such as his columns or new collaborations, etc...

You could wish him good luck for everything, the same way you can tweet him everyday saying "I'm here, I support you", but honestly, I don't think it would change anything... :dunno: