REPORTS/PICTURES/VIDEOS - MIKA@Liège, Belgium - Festival Les Ardentes - 10 July 2011

Blue Sky

Okay, nearly two weeks on, here comes the report. Actually, it's an epic tale which begins straight after the madness that was Compiegne.

So, we got back to the car, and started the drive to Belgium. Ingie was asleep within minutes, Luke soon followed, but I felt I should stay awake with Niko because I know how tough it is to do a long drive when you're tired and it helps if you've got someone to talk to as it keeps your brain active.

Anyway, towards the end of the journey, without even realising the words were coming out of my mouth I said 'But didn't he floo-' and then I stopped, realising I was talking out loud. What I was going to say was 'But didn't he flood his bathroom?' and at that moment, in my head, was the image of Mika treading on towels to soak up a load of water in his bathroom. I know it sounds silly, but it felt really weird, and thus had to share it with you all. (I was totally going to ask him if he'd flooded any bathrooms lately but then I forgot when he looked at me with those bloody eyes of his). :mf_rosetinted:

So we got to the hotel around 6am, and slept until midday, then headed into town because Ingie was on the brink of becoming a monkey woman and we were all hungry. We had lunch in a lovely little brasserie (when I say lovely, I mean it had free wifi) and we spent all our time on our phones not even looking at each other. We headed back to the hotel, and Luke and I went for a swim in the pool, which was empty bar us most of the time, which was awwwesome. Then we went in the sauna, but departed shortly after an old man in very restrictive speedos joined us. We got ready, and then headed down to the festival after a little trouble with a police car blocking the road, but sh*t like that doesn't faze us so it was fine.

We got to the festival around seven, and heading down the right hand side of the audience (Imma's side) with Ingie in the lead. She kept looking back the closer we got as if to say 'this is too easy!' but then suddenly we were at the barrier with a pretty good spot. There was a French fella sitting on the floor and I accidentally nudged him with my foot an apologised. He took the apology very well and didn't mention any sort of wife, elephantine or otherwise.

Anyway, I think we'd been there for about 45 mins or an hour, and we were sitting down, but because there wasn't enough room for all three of us to sit at the barrier, I sat down in the 2nd row, kind of. Then this woman lumbers over and just plonks her arse down on my bag, which I'd left there as a bit of a placeholder.

I'm not sure whether I was more concerned about the fact that her arse was now where my spot was, or the fact that my prescription sunglasses were in my bag and most likely shattered into a million pieces. (Thankfully they withstood the trauma and are still with me to this very day).

Naturally I jumped up, and said "You're sitting on my bag!" She moved her backside about an inch so I could tug it out, and before she got herself settled, I shoved my foot back into my space. Unluckily for me, this was the foot that Luke and his bloody stupid bed had fractured the night before Compiegne. She told me to move and I told her that it was my spot. She then kept elbowing the back of my leg, but it was okay because my knee was in her shoulder. Five minutes later she stood up (and the joke of the whole thing was was that there was plenty of room for both of us) and she kept elbowing me.

Then she repeatedly told me to move, that she'd been there since 3 o'clock - she hadn't been there since 7 o'clock, so what the f*ck does 3 o'clock matter to me? Then she turned to me and said "I will push you!"

This was what I had been waiting for. When dealing with somebody like that, you must ALWAYS goad them into making the first mistake. Once they get physically aggressive, every point they may have had flies out of the window.

SO. In my best bad ass Romford accent, I leaned forward a little bit and said "Go on then," cool as a bloody cucumber.

And then she pushed me. Granted, I hardly moved (surprising with the amount of weight she was able to put behind such an action) but the second she touched me, I called security over and told them she was pushing me, that she was being aggressive, and that she hadn't been there the whole time we had. She started jabbering away in French (probably not realising I could understand more or less every word) and saying that she'd only been to the toilet. I know festival food can be dodgy at times but more than 45 minutes for a toilet trip? Are you kidding me?

Anyway, the husband piped and said "Excuse me! This is my wife!" to which I replied "Er...well done?"

They then started appealing to the security girl again who just shrugged her shoulders and shook her head, making it quite plain that the old walrus didn't have a leg to stand on. Then the husband decided he ought to attempt some masculinity again and told me to stop. I said "stop what?" This went back and forth several times until finally I just said "No." Whatever I was supposed to stop was clearly something I was not willing to stop, as the only things I was doing at the time were standing, breathing, and raising my eyebrow at his ridiculousness.

Anyway, after that, all was fine and we had a lovely time.

Mika came on stage eventually, after much anticipation, and Relax started. It was mega. He came over to our side of the stage and as soon as he saw the four of us his eyes lit up. I know it sounds silly and self absorbed, but you CAN tell when it's you he's looking at, and the look on his face when he saw us made me feel like my organs were about to jump our of my skin. It was great.

The gig continued in the usual badass fashion. I took a load of videos because the lighting for photos wasn't that great, and also because he was on really good form. He didn't come to our bit too often (as we were pretty far over) but when he did his eyes were on us. (See the Kickass vid for further fangurliness, hahaah.) He sang his new songs, which were still stuck in our heads from the night before, and we sang along to Karen (though granted the only words we knew were 'elle est libre' and 'quatre-vingt deux') and YES, WE SANG ALONG TO BLAME IT ON THE WEATHER, SOMEBODY CALL THE POLICE AND HAVE US ARRESTED FOR CRIMES AGAINST MUNDANITY.

Anyway, the gig ended, and Niko said he had seen where the artist cars came out, so we all gathered on our side of the stage before heading off to hunt the boy down. I sent him a tweet (which was a bit optimistic) and also p*ssed myself off when I looked later because I'd left out a question mark and it made the whole thing sound weird. Lesson 1, don't tweet and walk.

We spent the following few hours sitting on bin bags (new ones, not salvaged ones) and doing a Big Brother style commentary on the night's events. We waited a hell of a lot longer than we did at Compiegne, but because of the people who were there it didn't really feel like waiting at all. Gradually, 60 dwindled down to 30, and after we saw Mrs P leave in the back of a Merc (she travels in style that woman) we thought we'd better get to our feet. Then nothing happened for a bit, and we ended up doing more Big Brother commentary, and more copying of Rose's accent (an endless source of megalolz). Eventually, Kath, who was on Mika watch, thought she spotted him getting into a car. I asked if he was wearing lovely knitwear and she said yes. I decided that that settled the matter and it was definitely him.

The car pulled over right next to where Ingie and I were standing, Ida was chucked out and then this brown and red curly head emerged, looked up with a massive grin on his face (which didn't match the expression of the friends he had just clambered all over to get out to us) and he said "What the f*ck are you all still doing here?"

He then went on to say that he had no idea that we were still here and if somebody had told him he would have come out earlier. It's a bloody good job I was in a great mood because if I had been as wet and miserable as I was at Porto, or as irritated as I had been at Compiegne, I would have told him to check his b*stard twitter every once in a while.

Anywho, Ingie and Luke spoke to him for a bit, then he got to me and I told him I'd recorded the new songs in Compiegne and at the gig that evening and asked whether it was okay to put them on youtube or not. I know after the secret LA gig a load of the videos were taken down so thought I'd better check with him. And also, my account is in good standing copyright wise, and I'd like to keep it that way. :mf_rosetinted:

He said "Oh yeah, go for it, put them up, they're already up there anyway." And then he took my arm and rubbed it a bit (sounds weird but if he did it to you you'd be in fangurl mode too) and said "But thanks for asking." And he smiled and I kept my cool externally but inside I was just a big old gloopy mess of joy.

After that, Ingie and Luke asked if they could get a video message for mf.net and he was all ready to do it but Ingie's camera refused to work. He was like "Sort your **** out! How many hours have you had to prepare?"

Of course I swept in and came to the rescue with Captain Lumix (yes, my camera's name is Captain Lumix, what the f*ck of it?) and he was talking to Dark Angel so I got a bit of that (video link is a few pages back, before sh*t got real cos we dared to sing) and then he was ready to do his message. He introduced himself, naturally, because nobody on a Mika fan site is EVER going to know who he is, the idea is utterly absurd. Then he stumbled over his words a bit (it was 4am and they had only had an hour's sleep the night before - breaking news from Ida!) and grabbed my hands and turned the camera towards Luke.

Honestly, I deserve some sort of medal for not going into fangurl mode when he was holding my hands. You'll notice that my filming remains on top bloody form, even after the unexpected contact. And his hands are so warm and soft (bitch must use clinique or some sh*t like that). It was mega at 4am. Just what the doctor ordered. (Yes yes, I know, I'm a bloody fan gurl. Suis je bovvered? Non. Parce que je ne suis pas bovvered!)

Anyway, he moved along to the others, then did his little game of naming where everyone was from. (He has to keep his brain active at his age you know). Then after a bit he came back to us, and Niko asked him if we could have a group picture with the four of us. Ida (who was knackered and wanted to get to bed) took Dark Angel's camera and told her to get in. Mika put an arm around her and the four of us squeezed in on our side, mostly because we were too tired to move. Anyway, photo was snapped, Mika was heading back to the car, but Niko said, gesturing towards the blob in his hair "Mika, what kind of colour is this?" Mika then did his yuck face and said "It's disgusting isn't it? If you look on the box it says revolting!"

I then said "WHY did you do it? Were you drunk?" And he looked at me, smiled a bit, and didn't reply. So basically, that's a yes (but we all knew that already).

Then he said it was so good to see all of his old friends again, and he was genuinely really happy, and it was so nice to see. We all said our goodbyes and he headed off into the night, in his attempt at being an enigmatic b*stard.

Naturally I turned to twitter straight away and said 'Worth the f*cking wait. F*cking love you @mikasounds' and then as soon as I'd posted it I looked at my time line and squealed, because underneath my tweet was his tweet, and it was the best way to end what was essentially a day of us being massively jammy bastards.

Fini

Holy mother of God, I was already laughing my a$$ off, but that "sui je bovvered" line nearly killed me! :floor:

You should have said to her "Were you in Allo Allo, miss?" :mf_rosetinted:

Fantastic report, really. Didn't imagine you as the fangurly type, I must say. But I guess we all have our moments, eh? :mf_rosetinted:

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay, nearly two weeks on, here comes the report. Actually, it's an epic tale which begins straight after the madness that was Compiegne.

So, we got back to the car, and started the drive to Belgium. Ingie was asleep within minutes, Luke soon followed, but I felt I should stay awake with Niko because I know how tough it is to do a long drive when you're tired and it helps if you've got someone to talk to as it keeps your brain active.

Anyway, towards the end of the journey, without even realising the words were coming out of my mouth I said 'But didn't he floo-' and then I stopped, realising I was talking out loud. What I was going to say was 'But didn't he flood his bathroom?' and at that moment, in my head, was the image of Mika treading on towels to soak up a load of water in his bathroom. I know it sounds silly, but it felt really weird, and thus had to share it with you all. (I was totally going to ask him if he'd flooded any bathrooms lately but then I forgot when he looked at me with those bloody eyes of his). :mf_rosetinted:

So we got to the hotel around 6am, and slept until midday, then headed into town because Ingie was on the brink of becoming a monkey woman and we were all hungry. We had lunch in a lovely little brasserie (when I say lovely, I mean it had free wifi) and we spent all our time on our phones not even looking at each other. We headed back to the hotel, and Luke and I went for a swim in the pool, which was empty bar us most of the time, which was awwwesome. Then we went in the sauna, but departed shortly after an old man in very restrictive speedos joined us. We got ready, and then headed down to the festival after a little trouble with a police car blocking the road, but sh*t like that doesn't faze us so it was fine.

We got to the festival around seven, and heading down the right hand side of the audience (Imma's side) with Ingie in the lead. She kept looking back the closer we got as if to say 'this is too easy!' but then suddenly we were at the barrier with a pretty good spot. There was a French fella sitting on the floor and I accidentally nudged him with my foot an apologised. He took the apology very well and didn't mention any sort of wife, elephantine or otherwise.

Anyway, I think we'd been there for about 45 mins or an hour, and we were sitting down, but because there wasn't enough room for all three of us to sit at the barrier, I sat down in the 2nd row, kind of. Then this woman lumbers over and just plonks her arse down on my bag, which I'd left there as a bit of a placeholder.

I'm not sure whether I was more concerned about the fact that her arse was now where my spot was, or the fact that my prescription sunglasses were in my bag and most likely shattered into a million pieces. (Thankfully they withstood the trauma and are still with me to this very day).

Naturally I jumped up, and said "You're sitting on my bag!" She moved her backside about an inch so I could tug it out, and before she got herself settled, I shoved my foot back into my space. Unluckily for me, this was the foot that Luke and his bloody stupid bed had fractured the night before Compiegne. She told me to move and I told her that it was my spot. She then kept elbowing the back of my leg, but it was okay because my knee was in her shoulder. Five minutes later she stood up (and the joke of the whole thing was was that there was plenty of room for both of us) and she kept elbowing me.

Then she repeatedly told me to move, that she'd been there since 3 o'clock - she hadn't been there since 7 o'clock, so what the f*ck does 3 o'clock matter to me? Then she turned to me and said "I will push you!"

This was what I had been waiting for. When dealing with somebody like that, you must ALWAYS goad them into making the first mistake. Once they get physically aggressive, every point they may have had flies out of the window.

SO. In my best bad ass Romford accent, I leaned forward a little bit and said "Go on then," cool as a bloody cucumber.

And then she pushed me. Granted, I hardly moved (surprising with the amount of weight she was able to put behind such an action) but the second she touched me, I called security over and told them she was pushing me, that she was being aggressive, and that she hadn't been there the whole time we had. She started jabbering away in French (probably not realising I could understand more or less every word) and saying that she'd only been to the toilet. I know festival food can be dodgy at times but more than 45 minutes for a toilet trip? Are you kidding me?

Anyway, the husband piped and said "Excuse me! This is my wife!" to which I replied "Er...well done?"

They then started appealing to the security girl again who just shrugged her shoulders and shook her head, making it quite plain that the old walrus didn't have a leg to stand on. Then the husband decided he ought to attempt some masculinity again and told me to stop. I said "stop what?" This went back and forth several times until finally I just said "No." Whatever I was supposed to stop was clearly something I was not willing to stop, as the only things I was doing at the time were standing, breathing, and raising my eyebrow at his ridiculousness.

Anyway, after that, all was fine and we had a lovely time.

Mika came on stage eventually, after much anticipation, and Relax started. It was mega. He came over to our side of the stage and as soon as he saw the four of us his eyes lit up. I know it sounds silly and self absorbed, but you CAN tell when it's you he's looking at, and the look on his face when he saw us made me feel like my organs were about to jump our of my skin. It was great.

The gig continued in the usual badass fashion. I took a load of videos because the lighting for photos wasn't that great, and also because he was on really good form. He didn't come to our bit too often (as we were pretty far over) but when he did his eyes were on us. (See the Kickass vid for further fangurliness, hahaah.) He sang his new songs, which were still stuck in our heads from the night before, and we sang along to Karen (though granted the only words we knew were 'elle est libre' and 'quatre-vingt deux') and YES, WE SANG ALONG TO BLAME IT ON THE WEATHER, SOMEBODY CALL THE POLICE AND HAVE US ARRESTED FOR CRIMES AGAINST MUNDANITY.

Anyway, the gig ended, and Niko said he had seen where the artist cars came out, so we all gathered on our side of the stage before heading off to hunt the boy down. I sent him a tweet (which was a bit optimistic) and also p*ssed myself off when I looked later because I'd left out a question mark and it made the whole thing sound weird. Lesson 1, don't tweet and walk.

We spent the following few hours sitting on bin bags (new ones, not salvaged ones) and doing a Big Brother style commentary on the night's events. We waited a hell of a lot longer than we did at Compiegne, but because of the people who were there it didn't really feel like waiting at all. Gradually, 60 dwindled down to 30, and after we saw Mrs P leave in the back of a Merc (she travels in style that woman) we thought we'd better get to our feet. Then nothing happened for a bit, and we ended up doing more Big Brother commentary, and more copying of Rose's accent (an endless source of megalolz). Eventually, Kath, who was on Mika watch, thought she spotted him getting into a car. I asked if he was wearing lovely knitwear and she said yes. I decided that that settled the matter and it was definitely him.

The car pulled over right next to where Ingie and I were standing, Ida was chucked out and then this brown and red curly head emerged, looked up with a massive grin on his face (which didn't match the expression of the friends he had just clambered all over to get out to us) and he said "What the f*ck are you all still doing here?"

He then went on to say that he had no idea that we were still here and if somebody had told him he would have come out earlier. It's a bloody good job I was in a great mood because if I had been as wet and miserable as I was at Porto, or as irritated as I had been at Compiegne, I would have told him to check his b*stard twitter every once in a while.

Anywho, Ingie and Luke spoke to him for a bit, then he got to me and I told him I'd recorded the new songs in Compiegne and at the gig that evening and asked whether it was okay to put them on youtube or not. I know after the secret LA gig a load of the videos were taken down so thought I'd better check with him. And also, my account is in good standing copyright wise, and I'd like to keep it that way. :mf_rosetinted:

He said "Oh yeah, go for it, put them up, they're already up there anyway." And then he took my arm and rubbed it a bit (sounds weird but if he did it to you you'd be in fangurl mode too) and said "But thanks for asking." And he smiled and I kept my cool externally but inside I was just a big old gloopy mess of joy.

After that, Ingie and Luke asked if they could get a video message for mf.net and he was all ready to do it but Ingie's camera refused to work. He was like "Sort your **** out! How many hours have you had to prepare?"

Of course I swept in and came to the rescue with Captain Lumix (yes, my camera's name is Captain Lumix, what the f*ck of it?) and he was talking to Dark Angel so I got a bit of that (video link is a few pages back, before sh*t got real cos we dared to sing) and then he was ready to do his message. He introduced himself, naturally, because nobody on a Mika fan site is EVER going to know who he is, the idea is utterly absurd. Then he stumbled over his words a bit (it was 4am and they had only had an hour's sleep the night before - breaking news from Ida!) and grabbed my hands and turned the camera towards Luke.

Honestly, I deserve some sort of medal for not going into fangurl mode when he was holding my hands. You'll notice that my filming remains on top bloody form, even after the unexpected contact. And his hands are so warm and soft (bitch must use clinique or some sh*t like that). It was mega at 4am. Just what the doctor ordered. (Yes yes, I know, I'm a bloody fan gurl. Suis je bovvered? Non. Parce que je ne suis pas bovvered!)

Anyway, he moved along to the others, then did his little game of naming where everyone was from. (He has to keep his brain active at his age you know). Then after a bit he came back to us, and Niko asked him if we could have a group picture with the four of us. Ida (who was knackered and wanted to get to bed) took Dark Angel's camera and told her to get in. Mika put an arm around her and the four of us squeezed in on our side, mostly because we were too tired to move. Anyway, photo was snapped, Mika was heading back to the car, but Niko said, gesturing towards the blob in his hair "Mika, what kind of colour is this?" Mika then did his yuck face and said "It's disgusting isn't it? If you look on the box it says revolting!"

I then said "WHY did you do it? Were you drunk?" And he looked at me, smiled a bit, and didn't reply. So basically, that's a yes (but we all knew that already).

Then he said it was so good to see all of his old friends again, and he was genuinely really happy, and it was so nice to see. We all said our goodbyes and he headed off into the night, in his attempt at being an enigmatic b*stard.

Naturally I turned to twitter straight away and said 'Worth the f*cking wait. F*cking love you @mikasounds' and then as soon as I'd posted it I looked at my time line and squealed, because underneath my tweet was his tweet, and it was the best way to end what was essentially a day of us being massively jammy bastards.

Fini

AWESOMEST report ever. :mf_rosetinted: Seriously.

Holy mother of God, I was already laughing my a$$ off, but that "sui je bovvered" line nearly killed me! :floor:

You should have said to her "Were you in Allo Allo, miss?" :mf_rosetinted:

Fantastic report, really. Didn't imagine you as the fangurly type, I must say. But I guess we all have our moments, eh? :mf_rosetinted:

You should have seen her after Edinburgh:naughty:

"HE READ MY CARD! HE REMEMBEEEERRREEEDDD":biggrin2:

You should have seen her after Edinburgh:naughty:

"HE READ MY CARD! HE REMEMBEEEERRREEEDDD":biggrin2:

:roftl::roftl:

As I said...we all have our :fangurl: moments.

Well...not me, obviously. :mf_rosetinted: Never have, and never will. *cough*

Hey, I stay cool to his face, but if there's been body contact then I exercise my right to fangurl for several weeks after.

And come off it Ingie, his dyslexic mind battled through the scrawled birthday card I gave him and then he made a reference to it four days later. That's enough to make anyone die of fan gurliness.

*resumes BAMF activity*

holy mother of god, i was already laughing my a$$ off, but that "sui je bovvered" line nearly killed me! :floor:

You should have said to her "were you in allo allo, miss?" :mf_rosetinted:

Fantastic report, really. Didn't imagine you as the fangurly type, i must say. But i guess we all have our moments, eh? :mf_rosetinted:

have you been eating garlic miss?

Hey, I stay cool to his face, but if there's been body contact then I exercise my right to fangurl for several weeks after.

And come off it Ingie, his dyslexic mind battled through the scrawled birthday card I gave him and then he made a reference to it four days later. That's enough to make anyone die of fan gurliness.

*resumes BAMF activity*

:roftl:

have you been eating garlic miss?

Say "good moaning", miss.

*resumes BAMF activity*

I thought it was quite endearing. I even have video evidence:naughty:

*points to your signature*

you need to update your signature.... it's outdated :mf_rosetinted::naughty:

I knooooow. I'm so bloody lazy. It seemed like such a good idea at the time, but it's too much maintenance! I'll do it now I think.

I knooooow. I'm so bloody lazy. It seemed like such a good idea at the time, but it's too much maintenance! I'll do it now I think.

Love the new signature.

Must get a report written for this!

+1 :teehee:

Jazzy, where/how did you get these sigs??? :wub2::wub2:

Thanks guyssss!

This one is all just made up of components from the album artwork, of which you get a massive file of with the itunes LP of TBWKTM, and there are also a few bits taken from google images such as the inkwell, the splatter and the stamp, and you just kind of stick them all together and...voila!

The last one though was a page from the exercise book he was selling on the last tour and I just kind of added some doodles and some stickers to make it seem a bit more school booky.

Ha, I feel like I'm on Blue Peter. Here's one I made earlier!

Thanks guyssss!

This one is all just made up of components from the album artwork, of which you get a massive file of with the itunes LP of TBWKTM, and there are also a few bits taken from google images such as the inkwell, the splatter and the stamp, and you just kind of stick them all together and...voila!

The last one though was a page from the exercise book he was selling on the last tour and I just kind of added some doodles and some stickers to make it seem a bit more school booky.

Ha, I feel like I'm on Blue Peter. Here's one I made earlier!

Brilliant!!! :clap: Thanks for answer me btw :biggrin2:

but I would have to do it in an itunes-less way in case I make a new sig for me (no, I don't have iphone, shame on me :mf_rosetinted:)

Loved your review and your pictures! He has indeed matured a lot:biggrin2:

Thanks for reading! :teehee: I have more pics from Liege, but I need to organize everything.

(I can't understand how it happened again. I have a new computer and a new hard disc, and I even have a new program for organizing my pics, but it's not working :aah: Everything is a mess again after just a few summer gigs :roftl: But I know I have pictures, somewhere.)

The energy of this gig was absolutely phenomenal and the audience was singing along all the time, even on Elle me Dit. That great connection between the crowd and Mika made the blame it on the girls/boys battle before BIOTG even more fun. Oh and the band introduction was definitely one of the funniest ever :)

He introduced Martin as "Señor Martín".

:biggrin2:

Archived