Emily / She Tells Me - Elle Me Dit in English

Why do you think that's an end of an era anyway?

Because Mama P hated picking out LGs and BGs I think and it was a hassle. I'm glad I got to do it and I hope he will involve us in his next shows as much as he did last tour, but I do not have my hopes up too high.

When I saw the set I was very proud of him, because it was really much better than the previous one and it was really cute to see how excited he was to bring it to some of those venues. I can't help it, it was so adorable and funny to see the set under the statue of Napoleon (even though my personal opinion is that I want to see him in a simple outfit). It can't be same when you see only videos but it really was quite special.

Totally agree with you! In Ajaccio the stage was really beautiful with the statue of Napoleon :blush-anim-cl: Even Mika seemed proud of what he had created.

oh well, that´s what I mean that the "feelings" are not the same when you see a gig live or on youtube... that was the feeling it gave me through the vids I saw... exactly the opposite as it was... like he was all time nervous less at a couple of minutes that he was comfy. Thanks for explaining!

It was NOT a normal gig and I can definitely tell who someone 2 metres from me is looking at. What I experienced is not a feeling, my explanation as to why he behaved like that is.:wink2: He was not nervous at all. He probably closed his eyes towards the end to sing at least the last 3-4 songs well. :dunno:

I am also pretty sure he chose to sing The Only Lonely One as he remembered that one vs the ones some of us were requesting. When he started to teach David the chords I asked him if it was TOLO and when he said 'yes' his eyes lit up. He was clearly pleased that his fans knew that one. The videos you saw were taken from a different direction and of course he was not looking at people sitting by his feet and behind him. He was most definitely at ease with his fans during the performance. He was simply not so much at ease when he realised he did not remember most of his songs. :teehee:

hey everyone, just got a reply from labelbarclay, I posted to twitter updates thread. Maybe you´d be interested :naughty:

@LuciiNa @labelbarclay don´t you know if @mikasounds will release Elle Me Dit in English too? he sang it on Das festival.. :)

1 hour ago Favorite Reply Delete

in reply to ↑

@labelbarclay @LuciiNa no idea right now

I wouldn't expect Mika's French label to know and especially tell if the song will be released in English or not. If it happens to be one, it will not be a single in France. I don't think EMD will ever be a single but I hope it will appear on next year's album.

Edited by suzie

Because Mama P hated picking out LGs and BGs I think and it was a hassle. I'm glad I got to do it and I hope he will involve us in his next shows as much as he did last tour, but I do not have my hopes up too high.

it had to be a big job for her / her team... alot of last minute stress, that's for sure

Then I fell sorry for all the hopeful young fans who's big wish is to get on stage with him.

Maybe he can find another way to get them up and dancing...:wink2:

Why do you think that's an end of an era anyway?

It might be their big wish, but it bloody bores the pants off me. I've been seeing it since 2007. Enough already. Enough by 2008 imo.

I don't think creating stress and chaos has ever been a reason for Mika not to do something. In fact it seems to be a prerequisite :naughty: I would hope he's going to drop the Day of the Dead thing because it's old news, but I think if he needs bodies in a show he is going to get whoever he can to fill those places, including fans. He didn't bring professional big girls with him on tour in North America in 2008 or 2009 and I don't think it's because he had a burning desire to give his fans a treat. I think he just needed big girls without the expense of having professional dancers on tour with him.

If he needs a dozen people to play a simple part in his show I think he would do it again. If it was such an aggravation in 2010 then they would have stopped it a long time ago.

I don't think creating stress and chaos has ever been a reason for Mika not to do something. In fact it seems to be a prerequisite :naughty: I would hope he's going to drop the Day of the Dead thing because it's old news, but I think if he needs bodies in a show he is going to get whoever he can to fill those places, including fans. He didn't bring professional big girls with him on tour in North America in 2008 or 2009 and I don't think it's because he had a burning desire to give his fans a treat. I think he just needed big girls without the expense of having professional dancers on tour with him.

If he needs a dozen people to play a simple part in his show I think he would do it again. If it was such an aggravation in 2010 then they would have stopped it a long time ago.

apart from the LG (Vero & Marie-Lune) in 2008, the BG were always hired & not fans. They were never hand picked by mama P. Not sure why :dunno:

oh i know :naughty:

apart from the LG (Vero & Marie-Lune) in 2008, the BG were always hired & not fans. They were never hand picked by mama P. Not sure why :dunno:

Those LGs were picked in advance by Team Mika. Mama P could have been involved for all we know because you had to send in photos. :dunno: Mika picked one of the BGs in Toronto in 2009 and John found the other (there was no marching them in front of Mama P, they took what they could get :naughty:). Anyway it is their choice to pick them on the spot instead of trying to arrange it in advance, so if it was too much of a stress there are other ways to sort it out.

Isn't he selling out full houses?

This question is more difficult to answer now since he has only been performing at festivals lately and it must have been difficult to attract a large number of people to his French shows without anything new from him (most of the Compiegne audience must have seen the same show last year, minus the wigs). So in a way I understand the urgent need to release anything in French before the show to promote the gig itself (EMD was probably planned for a much later release originally) but such hasty release can't have worked for this song.

He has never had that real take off as an artist, like some of his earlier party friends like Katy Perry, Adele and Lady Gaga. I'm a little sad about that because I think his musical talent goes wide above their (well maybe not Adele:teehee:).

I hear them on the radio all the time, very seldom Mika.:blink:

I'd like to know what Mika thinks about it - if he sees why it happened for them and not for him. It is by no accident and I think he could have done better. Maybe with the next album it will happen, although I don't think he will ever appeal to as wide an audience the artists you mention do.

Edited by suzie

:blink:It wasn't like that at all. I was there...

He kept eyecontact with some of us (those who decided not to sit close, as they were out of his sight) throughout the gig, even asking for help with the lyrics...etc :roftl: and then there was a point (I think after Toy Boy) when he started to sing with his eyes closed and not looking at us during the songs.

My feeling about it was that he reached a point at which he felt embarrassed by not knowing either the chords or the lyrics of the songs. To be honest, I was embarrassed for him, too. I never mentioned it before here as everyone there experienced the gig differently, depending on their view and their take on the performance and I don't want to get into arguments about this. I felt as if he was totally lost and not there in mind at all.

At the same time, it was absolutely the real him and there were points during where you could realise where his talent is. I was really glad and thankful that I was offered a chance to be there as it was a chance very few could ever have. It was like listening to him 'naked', if you know what I mean. I would definitely not compare this to any other 'official' performance of him.

Thank you for sharing this Suzie , I'm so moved reading you :tears:

I've seen the vids, but I understand better now...I think that's what we all love about Mika, the fact that he is as human as we are , a genuine human being with a wonderful voice and fabulous talent :wub2:

Those LGs were picked in advance by Team Mika. Mama P could have been involved for all we know because you had to send in photos. :dunno: Mika picked one of the BGs in Toronto in 2009 and John found the other (there was no marching them in front of Mama P, they took what they could get :naughty:). Anyway it is their choice to pick them on the spot instead of trying to arrange it in advance, so if it was too much of a stress there are other ways to sort it out.

i remember that competition, Vero wasn't going to try because she thought she was too late :naughty: good thing she did.

:naughty:

I'd like to know what Mika thinks about it - if he sees why it happened for them and not for him. It is by no accident and I think he could have done better. Maybe with the next album it will happen.

He seemed to think he couldn't launch in the States because of homophobia but there is a lot more to it than that. There is no doubt that if an artist is perceived as gay or effeminate or whatever that there are going to be segments of the population that will never be interested in them, but it hasn't stopped Adam Lambert from becoming a household name because the US is a huge country.

I don't think he wants the US market bad enough (and now the same thing is happening with the UK) and he's just not willing to do what it takes. I suppose that ultimately that's a good thing though because I don't like the direction that Katy Perry has taken and Gaga's talent is so obscured by all her gimmicks and nonsense rhetoric that most people don't even realize she has any talent.

I think Amy Winehouse and Adele are not pop stars as such and appeal to English speaking audiences because their music is jazz/soul/R&B based and that sound has its roots in the US and is more in line with today's R&B than 80s Euro pop.

This question is more difficult to answer now since he has only been performing at festivals lately and it must have been difficult to attract a large number of people to his French shows without anything new from him (most of the Compiegne audience must have seen the same show last year, minus the wigs). So in a way I understand the urgent need to release anything in French before the show to promote the gig itself (EMD was probably planned for a much later release originally) but such hasty release can't have worked for this song.

I'd like to know what Mika thinks about it - if he sees why it happened for them and not for him. It is by no accident and I think he could have done better. Maybe with the next album it will happen, although I don't think he will ever appeal to as wide an audience the artists you mention do.

I was looking at summer compilation CDs this afternoon and felt sad to see that Mika wasn't in any of them...Elle me dit should be there :sneaky2:

I was happy though when my daughter told me her teenage friends were saying that Elle me dit was this summer's hit :biggrin2::thumb_yello:

If there are no more BG and LG on stage picked among the fans , I'll never be one then :blink:

well, we never know what the future brings, but things have to move forward & i guess that would be a way... :dunno:

if i had to be , i would cry :aah:... & not of happiness :roftl:

i don't like being on stage infront of a crowd at all :no:

but you know, even if i was ok with being on stage, i wouldn't want to be because i don't get to see Mika's concerts often. Why waste my time back stage? i want to see the show :fangurl:

If i had a few concert scheduled then it would be ok.

well, we never know what the future brings, but things have to move forward & i guess that would be a way... :dunno:

but you know, even if i was ok with being on stage, i wouldn't want to be because i don't get to see Mika's concerts often. Why waste my time back stage? i want to see the show :fangurl:

That's why, I didn't want to be an LG in July, at the Balaton Sound Festival. But I did have a chance to be a Lollipop Girl. But I wanted to see the show, because I don't see Mika very often. That was the second gig that I saw.

me too.... can't waste time in backstage...gotta see the entire seconds of show in the venue!!

if there's 5 other me I could let one of me perform as BG on the stage :teehee:

one in seated...one in right side..one in left side... :mf_rosetinted:

I was on holidays without the Internet and I missed the news about English EMD and the whole discussion, just took some time to read back..

At first when I read that he performed it in English, I was disappointed :blush-anim-cl: Not because I'm French, not because I don't want him to sing in English or anything of this kind, it's just that for me it generally doesn't work when a song is translated/adapted in another language. I've never really liked Grace Kelly in French, although I've always appreciated Mika's effort in adapting it. Well I thought it would be the same for EMD.. It's a French song, I didn't think he should do it in English. But when I read the lyrics, it made sense to me, both literally and figuratively. It is not exactly the same song, for me they are different because the lyrics are different, even if they convey the same general meaning. There are some phrases or words I love in the French one, expressions or different meanings I love in the English one.. I can understand both languages (French as it's my native language and English, well I hope my English is correct) and it's lovely to be able to hear 2 versions as they kind of complete each other. Some feelings or explanations are added to what for me is the original song (French one) and that works well.

Now about the performance, I couldn't really enjoy hearing him singing it in English first of all because it was from Youtube and because watching him look at pieces of paper on the floor doesn't make it really convincing for me.. :teehee: But I'm sure it will sound great if recorded or performed later with more practice. I'm glad he kept some French bits (he did mention these bits sounded particularly French), and if this song is released in the UK I think it could stand out with such a chorus..

when I read the lyrics, it made sense to me, both literally and figuratively. It is not exactly the same song, for me they are different because the lyrics are different, even if they convey the same general meaning.

Yes, I also think that the English lyrics work differently with the music but equally well if not better. I wouldn't even be sure if this song was written in French first.. :teehee:

There are some phrases or words I love in the French one, expressions or different meanings I love in the English one.. I can understand both languages (French as it's my native language and English, well I hope my English is correct) and it's lovely to be able to hear 2 versions as they kind of complete each other. Some feelings or explanations are added to what for me is the original song (French one) and that works well.
:thumb_yello:

Now about the performance, I couldn't really enjoy hearing him singing it in English first of all because it was from Youtube and because watching him look at pieces of paper on the floor doesn't make it really convincing for me.. :teehee:

I only listened to the live recording 2 or 3 times at most for similar reasons you mentioned but because we have a well-recorded version in French, I can put the English lyrics together with the sound in my head, so that's where I play it :roftl:

But I'm sure it will sound great if recorded or performed later with more practice. I'm glad he kept some French bits (he did mention these bits sounded particularly French), and if this song is released in the UK I think it could stand out with such a chorus..

I used to think that he should also sing the chorus in English but actually, now I wouldn't mind if he kept it in French. However, due to the different feel the English version gives, I'd like to have it recorded differently. More modern, electronic sound with clear (undistorted) vocals, if possible.:teehee:

I don't think the chorus would work in English unless he came up with something entirely different. The French is a great hook. And the idea that she's not making any sense because she's screaming at him in French is hilarious. :roftl:

Thanks to everyone who contributed to putting together the song lyrics and to Tiibet for providing the first video of the only performance we have of the English Elle Me Dit (so far!) :flowers2:

She tells me can't you write a happy song

Get your ass to number one

You could try a little harder

She tells me you could be a millionaire

But you're so full of hot air

Gonna end up like your father

She tells me you can't leave your life to chance

Get a girl and learn to dance

Be a boy like any other

She tells me why you got so much to say

Are you stuck up, are you gay

Gonna end up like your brother