"The Origin of Love" - the pieces of a puzzle

nenartus

It is unbelievable that Universal keeps blocking their own artists' content. :doh:

Calvin Harris kept havimg his content blocked by a British performers' rights association and he was threatening to drive a monster truck into parliament in protest. :lmfao:

Stardust is very catchy but I do wish they'd consider releasing Overrated at some point as well, it screams out hit to me, but I'm happy if Underwater really will be a single. Some people think it's weak but in my opinion it's always sounded like it could be a huge hit (if promoted properly). It actually makes me feel a bit nervous because I appreciate the song so much that I wouldn't want it to flop in any kind of way. Not all that impressed by how Mika's been promoting this album but I know he's working hard, doing interviews and shows, but I just want this album to do great :aah: What would it take for Mika to have a successful number one (or at least top 10) album worldwide? A pr stunt? I know it doesn't really matter because I appreciate his music but I want more people to appreciate what a talented and unique artist Mika is, and not just be known as that Grace Kelly guy...

The label just says Includes... it doesn't say anything about singles.

The logic is that record companies promote albums with singles so on album stickers they name songs people will come across in the media most, i.e. future singles.

That's only France though. There may be different singles released in other countries.

The logic is that record companies promote albums with singles so on album stickers they name songs people will come across in the media most, i.e. future singles.

That's only France though. There may be different singles released in other countries.

Mt TBWKTM sticker had We Are Golden, BIOTG, Blue Eyes and Toy Boy on it.. :teehee:

Mt TBWKTM sticker had We Are Golden, BIOTG, Blue Eyes and Toy Boy on it.. :teehee:

yes, since WAG and BIOTG were singles, whilst Blue Eyes and Toy Boy were the songs you were likely to have heard already by the time the album was released :wink2:

Plus, they may as well have been singles later, had the album done better.

What would it take for Mika to have a successful number one (or at least top 10) album worldwide?

I think for him to make it in the US he has to work his tail off and he's just not willing to do what it takes. During the last half of his career he has spent a grand total of 7 days performing in public in the US. This is a country of 300+ million people. It is almost the size of all of western Europe. You have to be deluded to think that the work you do in Europe is going to count for anything in America. You put nothing in and you get nothing back. It's pretty simple. :dunno:

Yes that did occur to me. I would think all of Europe would be ideal for Stardust though. I guess we'll see!

I think for him to make it in the US he has to work his tail off and he's just not willing to do what it takes. During the last half of his career he has spent a grand total of 7 days performing in public in the US. This is a country of 300+ million people. It is almost the size of all of western Europe. You have to be deluded to think that the work you do in Europe is going to count for anything in America. You put nothing in and you get nothing back. It's pretty simple. :dunno:

Yes that did occur to me. I would think all of Europe would be ideal for Stardust though. I guess we'll see!

i agree with you. he has to spend more money on commercials in USA and make himself big there. and he will get so much more back, well if he doesn't want to be richer he can just keep on touring in Europe and try to get his singles to number one in Europe

i agree with you. he has to spend more money on commercials in USA and make himself big there. and he will get so much more back, well if he doesn't want to be richer he can just keep on touring in Europe and try to get his singles to number one in Europe

He should realize that, especially in the UK, singers are more respected if they've made it big in the USA. It's like, they've ARRIVED if they have done that. So he needs to get his music out there in the USA.

Maybe he will do a tour next year there. The problem is, there is only one Mika and a lot of places to be. I think if he could get himself on a big TV show in USA, like American Idol (if its still going strong) then he'd reach a lot of people with one appearance and he wouldn't have to do research on cloning techniques.

He should realize that, especially in the UK, singers are more respected if they've made it big in the USA. It's like, they've ARRIVED if they have done that. So he needs to get his music out there in the USA.

Maybe he will do a tour next year there. The problem is, there is only one Mika and a lot of places to be. I think if he could get himself on a big TV show in USA, like American Idol (if its still going strong) then he'd reach a lot of people with one appearance and he wouldn't have to do research on cloning techniques.

I totally agree with you! :thumb_yello:

But I like the idea of having several Mikas :naughty:

It doesn't necessarily follow that making it big in the US first will make you big in the UK. The Scissor Sisters struggled for a while in the US, it was after they made it big here and in Germany, that they started to get a foothold in the US mainstream. They have always said that they are grateful to the UK for getting them the recognition they needed to break properly in the US.

Not saying that Mika doesn't need to push his profile more in the US, but I don't think him being famous there means he's finally made it big. He's already big in a lot of other countries, and some with a bigger marketplace than the US.

It doesn't necessarily follow that making it big in the US first will make you big in the UK. The Scissor Sisters struggled for a while in the US, it was after they made it big here and in Germany, that they started to get a foothold in the US mainstream. They have always said that they are grateful to the UK for getting them the recognition they needed to break properly in the US.

just because you can make it big first in the UK doesn't negate the fact that US success is going to virtually guarantee success in the UK. In fact it virtually guarantees success in all English speaking countries and most of the west. So expending 5% of your effort on the one thing that could bring you 100% success seems...well...I guess it depends what you want. And the only conclusion I can come to is that he just isn't prepared to do what it takes. Better to be a knighted fish in a small pond than an opening act in the ocean if you catch my drift. :wink2::naughty:

Not saying that Mika doesn't need to push his profile more in the US, but I don't think him being famous there means he's finally made it big. He's already big in a lot of other countries, and some with a bigger marketplace than the US.

There is no bigger marketplace in the world for English western music. There are 311 million people in the US and you can throw in another 35 million from Canada because we are virtually one unit when it comes to entertainment consumption (think UK and Ireland).

I understand, but I'm just going by how the media seems to be here. I mean, Mika had that huge #1 in France, with EMD, and the British media couldn't care less. I remember when he won Best Male at the NRJs and one paper, can't remember which, had a big article about the NRJs and were concentrating on some woman who'd won an award. There was a big picture of her. In the article was a list of some others that had won awards, but surprise surprise, no mention of Mika. There was a list at the bottom of the article with all the winners, and Mika was on the list. But he got no special mention, even though he's thought of as a British popstar.

They didn't attempt to explain about his success with EMD. People reading probably wondered why Mika had won.

Yet, I do think, if the USA were to embrace him, he would at least get radio play in the UK again. I'm so worried that if he's not on the top radio stations his song won't be a hit, and that would be so tragic.

I've been tweeting @BBCR1 and asking fans to RT my tweets, but no one seems to have retweeted them so far. My twitter now is @Good&Golden

Edited by Marilyn Mastin