Celebrate - First single radio listening! + Discussion & Lyrics

it'd be blind policy anyway!!!! wtf?

to prevent Mika from having a worldwide success?

I could not get it, if it were true.

It wouldnt prevent anything. It is just a matter of having it before than the rest. thats how labels work now. it happened here in Spain when we bought the rights of Number 7. A serum from Boots in UK. Its long and hard to explain but think of it... all in this world works this way.

Now they launch Iphone4 and you can preorder it in amazon or wherever... Its all about "I have it before you". And maybe this way many people would buy the single to French sites instead of waiting for a release in their countries.

But if the song is about to be a hit,it will. No matter when or where it is released first...

All I can hear is:

Being hurt like this forever

would lead nowhere

looking at his lips in the video, i don't think he sings "would lead nowhere"... but with the line before you might be right... maybe it's "being hurt like this forever, for me no way!"? :dunno:

It wouldnt prevent anything. It is just a matter of having it before than the rest. thats how labels work now. it happened here in Spain when we bought the rights of Number 7. A serum from Boots in UK. Its long and hard to explain but think of it... all in this world works this way.

Now they launch Iphone4 and you can preorder it in amazon or wherever... Its all about "I have it before you". And maybe this way many people would buy the single to French sites instead of waiting for a release in their countries.

But if the song is about to be a hit,it will. No matter when or where it is released first...

i wish it was possible, but you can't buy mp3 downloads on the french amazon site if you don't live in france. :aah: and it's obviously not released as a cd single. :dunno:

what i understand since lovebox is "be and act like this forever, for me no way!" - does that make sense? :dunno: i tried to focus on his face for this part in the first and second verse while filming celebrate, maybe someone can try to read from his lips. :naughty: (you can watch the video in hd quality on youtube)

[YOUTUBE]eayDyzD9OMw[/YOUTUBE]

Nice video it was very focused in the beginning :naughty:

Well it's hard to say if anything make sense if you don't know the meaning of the song, what Mika is trying to say with it. But I can hear "be and act like this forever, for me no way!" If I concentrate on it, but my brain wants me to hear "being hurt like this forever, while lead nowhere!" so no matter how much I try to hear something different i still hear "being hurt like this forever, while lead nowhere!"

looking at his lips in the video, i don't think he sings "would lead nowhere"... but with the line before you might be right... maybe it's "being hurt like this forever, for me no way!"? :dunno:

I don't know :dunno: I suck at reading lips so I'm the last person to ask :aah: But it's kind of frustrating to not know what he sing, and everyone has their own theories. This is the lyrics site's one:

Be an outlaw this forever, with me away

Don't think it make sense but maybe something is right? :dunno:

Nice video it was very focused in the beginning :naughty:

]

sorry, i was dancing. :naughty::aah: actually i filmed it mainly because of that lyrics part that drives me nuts because i don't understand it. :aah: i wanted to ask mika about it after the show, but of course forgot. :doh:

in that other french interview he said the song is about a break-up. what i thought of when i heard the lines "i wanna go home (...) where the trees i planted grow" was this one interview of him where he said that because he was always travelling since he was a kid, he doesn't have this one place that is home for him, he doesn't have that tree under which he had his first kiss (or something along those lines)... so my thoughts were that the song is about change being his "home" - that's why the lines i suggested made total sense to me. but well, if he says it's about a break-up, then i guess i'm wrong. i would've liked it though if that had been the topic of the song. :teehee:

edit: just read your new post... hasi told me in london that she also understands something about outlaw. pfft, i really think we should just ask mika what he's singing! :aah::roftl:

i wish it was possible, but you can't buy mp3 downloads on the french amazon site if you don't live in france. :aah: and it's obviously not released as a cd single. :dunno:

True. I dont know....

sorry, i was dancing. :naughty::aah: actually i filmed it mainly because of that lyrics part that drives me nuts because i don't understand it. :aah: i wanted to ask mika about it after the show, but of course forgot. :doh:

in that other french interview he said the song is about a break-up. what i thought of when i heard the lines "i wanna go home (...) where the trees i planted grow" was this one interview of him where he said that because he was always travelling since he was a kid, he doesn't have this one place that is home for him, he doesn't have that tree under which he had his first kiss (or something along those lines)... so my thoughts were that the song is about change being his "home" - that's why the lines i suggested made total sense to me. but well, if he says it's about a break-up, then i guess i'm wrong. i would've liked it though if that had been the topic of the song. :teehee:

edit: just read your new post... hasi told me in london that she also understands something about outlaw. pfft, i really think we should just ask mika what he's singing! :aah::roftl:

I would had never ever guessed that the song was about a break-up :aah:

Me neither :blush-anim-cl:

In fact, I thought both new songs sounded quite happy :teehee:

Whatever the story behind, I really like it!

well, i realized that there was a sad note to the lyrics, because of the "once i get up i feel better, then i pull myself together" part - but i thought it was because of longing for a feeling of home, not because of a break up. reading the translation of the french interview again though, i guess it can be both - i mean, you also say "i feel at home when i'm with someone" - so after a break-up you lose this feeling, makes sense. :wink2:

I would had never ever guessed that the song was about a break-up :aah:

Me too! I thought it's hard to understand how Rain can be a break up song, but this is a whole new level :aah:

Cath, if you pay attention to MYH lyrics, you realize it is not a happy song :wink2:

Mika's tracks with 'Happy' in the title seem to be never happy :naughty:

btw which Mika song is really happy, carefree? :aah:

well, i realized that there was a sad note to the lyrics, because of the "once i get up i feel better, then i pull myself together" part - but i thought it was because of longing for a feeling of home, not because of a break up. reading the translation of the french interview again though, i guess it can be both - i mean, you also say "i feel at home when i'm with someone" - so after a break-up you lose this feeling, makes sense. :wink2:
yes, I had the same thought

I would explain Celebrate more as a reaction to a break-up, than as a song about a break-up though

Me too! I thought it's hard to understand how Rain can be a break up song, but this is a whole new level :aah:
Rain lyrics were clear to me, just the word 'Rain' doesn't make much sense here

There's been a lot of criticism of this song but I think actually the fact that you can't understand those lyrics is probably the worst. :sneaky2:

I would take what Mika said in that French interview with a grain of salt. The Fryars story was nonsense. He made it sound like he discovered Fryars on the internet, went to listen to some songs in his parents' house and then took him to Miami to record with Pharrell all within the space of a week. He has known Fryars since at least September 2009 so this timeline is totally implausible. Also maybe Mika came across Ben on the internet, but you know I came across Mika on the internet too. :mf_rosetinted: Ben was already getting press and being compared to Mika years ago (2007 or 2008 I think?) so it's not like he was just some high school kid who put his videos on YouTube to show his aunties, like Justin Bieber, or something. :naughty:

His breakup story/writing Underwater never made any sense either because two days later he was at the Queen exhibition saying he was in love. I think there is more to Celebrate than just "I broke up with someone so I wanted everyone around me to cheer me out of my misery." I hope he is going to be a little more forthcoming on his songwriting when he starts giving in depth written interviews in English. I still sense that he struggles to express anything but the simplest ideas in French when he is speaking off the cuff. I don't think he's got his "script" ready for this album yet. :naughty:

There's been a lot of criticism of this song but I think actually the fact that you can't understand those lyrics is probably the worst. :sneaky2:

I would take what Mika said in that French interview with a grain of salt. The Fryars story was nonsense. He made it sound like he discovered Fryars on the internet, went to listen to some songs in his parents' house and then took him to Miami to record with Pharrell all within the space of a week. He has known Fryars since at least September 2009 so this timeline is totally implausible. Also maybe Mika came across Ben on the internet, but you know I came across Mika on the internet too. :mf_rosetinted: Ben was already getting press and being compared to Mika years ago (2007 or 2008 I think?) so it's not like he was just some high school kid who put his videos on YouTube to show his aunties, like Justin Bieber, or something. :naughty:

His breakup story/writing Underwater never made any sense either because two days later he was at the Queen exhibition saying he was in love. I think there is more to Celebrate than just "I broke up with someone so I wanted everyone around me to cheer me out of my misery." I hope he is going to be a little more forthcoming on his songwriting when he starts giving in depth written interviews in English. I still sense that he struggles to express anything but the simplest ideas in French when he is speaking off the cuff. I don't think he's got his "script" ready for this album yet. :naughty:

the story about never driving his old car makes any sense either! :aah:

let's wait for more exhaustive interviews in English :naughty:

Cath, if you pay attention to MYH lyrics, you realize it is not a happy song :wink2:

Mika's tracks with 'Happy' in the title seem to be never happy :naughty:

btw which Mika song is really happy, carefree? :aah:

happy may not be the appropriate word, hard to explain... And yes I realize that Make you happy is not a happy love song :mf_rosetinted:

But in some strange ways, I do find a new "maturity" in those lyrics. ANd that suits what he said that he wrote from the perspective of a man, not a boy or a teen. THat I think is quite obvious in those 2 songs

Haha, i understood that :naughty: But you talked to him? *jealous* To bad you didn't remember to ask him...

Which interview was that? :blink: But if it's about a break-up I think "my" lyrics fits, but then I don't understand why he sings "I want the whole world to celebrate"? Well I thought the song is about, as some have suggested in this thread before, he being away from his family a lot when he wrote TBWKTM. And that's why he sung "I wanna go home" but then "being hurt like this forever, will need nowhere" don't make sense then :dunno: But at least we know it's a love song :teehee:

Yeah, everyone should ask him the next time he tweets :aah:

happy may not be the appropriate word, hard to explain... And yes I realize that Make you happy is not a happy love song :mf_rosetinted:

But in some strange ways, I do find a new "maturity" in those lyrics. ANd that suits what he said that he wrote from the perspective of a man, not a boy or a teen. THat I think is quite obvious in those 2 songs

I think I know what you mean, at least I could say something similar. I understand there's some sadness behind the lyrics, but somehow I see these songs really happy too. Like in MYH, there's a more mature way to see things, believing in the future and being optimistic and trying to solve things (and not seeing things as something desperate or final). Difficult to explain. Does this make any sense?

I thought it was a happy song too, but then I started to listen to the lyrics and no, I don't think it's a happy song (even if I want to dance to it :naughty:) I find it quite depressing just as well as MYH. When he sings about the fact that he wants to go home, he sound rather sad to me.

I think I know what you mean, at least I could say something similar. I understand there's some sadness behind the lyrics, but somehow I see these songs really happy too. Like in MYH, there's a more mature way to see things, believing in the future and being optimistic and trying to solve things (and not seeing things as something desperate or final). Difficult to explain. Does this make any sense?

Yes I think the idea is to lift yourself out of the heartache and resolve the problems of the past by looking forward to a happy future. I get the impression Mika is the type to wallow in his misery a bit and this is the turning point. Time to turn it around and make things better.

yes it does! Two minds are better than one they say :wink2:

I can't say I really feel that, and I wonder how much of these songs is by him, and how much is by others

well, I guess I'll wait for the whole album, in order to make myself a clearer opinion; to tell the truth, I'm a bit confused atm

Yes I think the idea is to lift yourself out of the heartache and resolve the problems of the past by looking forward to a happy future. I get the impression Mika is the type to wallow in his misery a bit and this is the turning point. Time to turn it around and make things better.

very well said! I agree with you

Haha, i understood that :naughty: But you talked to him? *jealous* To bad you didn't remember to ask him...

Which interview was that? :blink: But if it's about a break-up I think "my" lyrics fits, but then I don't understand why he sings "I want the whole world to celebrate"? Well I thought the song is about, as some have suggested in this thread before, he being away from his family a lot when he wrote TBWKTM. And that's why he sung "I wanna go home" but then "being hurt like this forever, will need nowhere" don't make sense then :dunno: But at least we know it's a love song :teehee:

Yeah, everyone should ask him the next time he tweets :aah:

he came to meet us after his lovebox gig, yes. :wub2: in fact i did even remember that i wanted to ask him about the lyrics, but i was struggling with the words... couldn't remember the line "i say only if it's better" at that moment, so i first had to think of another way of formulating my question before talking any rubbish, and when i was finished thinking, he was already gone. :lmfao: i'm just too slow. :blush-anim-cl:

the interview is in the news board, a french video interview with cherie fm, the translations are there too. :thumb_yello: