Celebrate - First single radio listening! + Discussion & Lyrics

I don't think there was any radio until the 3rd week of July for WAG.

I guess the real question is why did they release it now in France, not why is it waiting until early September for the rest of the world. :dunno: Maybe they will release a French song in between? 3 full months seems like a long gap between the single and the album.

Can´t you as the mods ask TM why it is handled like they do? And maybe for the dates for the other countries?

Now, I feel as if everybody is despairing about the new album just because we don't like Celebrate... I'll admit Celebrate isn't my favorite Mika song by a long shot--it's fun and catchy but that's about all that can be said for it--but MYH is a work of art even if its tune isn't the greatest, and Elle Me Dit and Karen are just darn good songs in every respect (I'm as obsessed with both of those as I am with some of the great older Mika ones) so let's not lose hope! Mika's allowed to experiment, and he's allowed to have hits and misses and songs that are not what we expect from him. So this is a bit of a miss--big deal! One song doesn't define the whole album!

I don't think there was any radio until the 3rd week of July for WAG.

yeah, you're right, i mixed it up - the radio promo tour was in july, not june. :doh: i wonder whether he'll do some radio promo for celebrate while he's on the festival tour...

Can´t you as the mods ask TM why it is handled like they do? And maybe for the dates for the other countries?

I guess we can ask them to confirm the September 9th date but I really don't think they are going to tell us why. :wink2:

That makes perfect sense, Universal Music Group! Release a "summer hit" in Autumn!

:doh:

Sometimes I really do despair! But whatever! :mikacool:

that's just what I thought when I saw the news on another thread.. :no:

I guess we can ask them to confirm the September 9th date but I really don't think they are going to tell us why. :wink2:

I was feeling really happy until I found out about September 9th. This rules out Celebrate being played on the Olympic previews on TV, which was what I dreamed would happen. It also won't be a Summer hit!

What is it with this team of Mika's? Why don't they hire someone from the MFC? He'd have a hit in no time!

Guess it's not surprising since nothing is happening until September outside of the French market. :dunno:

Well they played celebrate on Swedish radio toady *happy* :boing:

http://sverigesradio.se/sida/gruppsida.aspx?programid=4067&grupp=13679

Listen at 44:48 :wink2:

After I sent my letter to some random person at Universal music Sweden and complained :teehee:

Edited by Lilasko

After I sent my letter to some random person at Universal music Sweden and complained :teehee:

Nice work! I think it might get some early airplay in French speaking Canada but probably not near me.

A review from Popdust

Mika’s comeback couldn’t be better-timed. Queen never went away, per se, whether in the rock or meme canons (their entire discography for the former, “Bohemian Rhapsody” for the latter), but it’s a particularly good time for Freddie Mercury devotees. Just this year, we’ve got fun.’s “We Are Young” and Some Nights, plus the entirety of Adam Lambert’s Trespassing. Mika was there before either; lead single “Grace Kelly” even mentions the guy. Pharrell never completely went away, either; he worked on Lambert’s album as well as (briefly) Usher’s Looking 4 Myself, among other collaborations this year. They’re natural collaborators.

Well. On paper, they are.

It’s hard to imagine what anybody involved in “Celebrate” was thinking. Pharrell doesn’t sound like Pharrell, which’d be remarkable and welcome if what he sounded like instead wasn’t the vaguely uplifting, slight groove you’d play after last call as clubgoers filtered out onto the streets. Mika, meanwhile, swaddles his voice in so much processing he ends up sounding like Adam Levine if he were whispering; he only gets to let loose on ad-libs buried deep in the mix, and the only thing Mika adds that a randomly selected male vocalist wouldn’t is that he doesn’t need pitch-shifting to become a tenor.

The whole thing ends up sounding like a subpar take of one of Adam Lambert’s weaker Trespassing singles. In fact, there’s a good chance Lambert turned this down. Hell, Usher may have turned it down. (If he did, try not to question why he went with will.i.am’s “Uptown Girl” leeching instead.) It might be best, no matter how annoying this practice usually is, for Mika and Pharrell to quietly bury “Celebrate” in favor of a real comeback single. They both deserve better.

(1 out of 5)

I was feeling really happy until I found out about September 9th. This rules out Celebrate being played on the Olympic previews on TV, which was what I dreamed would happen. It also won't be a Summer hit!

What is it with this team of Mika's? Why don't they hire someone from the MFC? He'd have a hit in no time!

Couldn't the song still be used even its not out yet as a single in the UK?

They def need an MFC'er or two!

It might be best, no matter how annoying this practice usually is, for Mika and Pharrell to quietly bury “Celebrate” in favor of a real comeback single. They both deserve better.

(1 out of 5)

Ouch!! :aah:

I don't know if anyone has dug up the lyrics subject again since the Lovebox performance but I was watching Jazzy's videos and I think the line at 1:15 is starting to sound to me like "we'll lead the way". :dunno: Any other ideas? :naughty:

[YOUTUBE]l9T0HsD8qV8[/YOUTUBE]

It has a summer feel, and the song is obviously ready . . . this makes no sense! It's almost like the record company doesn't want it to succeed (but that makes even less sense). :dunno:

All I can hear is:

Being hurt like this forever

would lead nowhere

This is what I'm hearing too.

The "release" of the song is likely only being delayed a few weeks so it's not that big of a deal IMO. WAG started getting radio play in July for a September release. The only thing I find odd about this is why it was immediately released in France the day it came out and 3 months before the album.

I still hope that the person who wrote that really didn't had a clue of what he was talking about :pray:

I still can't find an email for universal music. I tried to email a Radio but dah I couldn't, there was something wrong with the link :sneaky2: Facebook's pages are my only hope so far :pray:

Is that true?? :shocked:

http://top40-charts.com/news.php?nid=79274

Universal Republic this fall. Following up his multi-million selling worldwide smash 'The Boy Who Knew Too Much' (which debuted in every single iTunes top ten around the world), The Origin of Love is Mika's third album and will preceded by an EP this summer. The anthemic brand new single "Celebrate" is an epic slice of cool modern pop destined to be a global summer soundtrack, written by Mika, produced by Nick Littlemore from Empire of the Sun and featuring Pharrell Williams on vocals.

First I've heard of it...

and this?

There will be a US tour this fall. :fisch:

:lmfao:

Oh I'm sorry... I wonder if it's going to be like the US tour that happened in 2009/2010?

It’s hard to imagine what anybody involved in “Celebrate” was thinking.

It might be best, no matter how annoying this practice usually is, for Mika and Pharrell to quietly bury “Celebrate” in favor of a real comeback single. They both deserve better.

(1 out of 5)

Ouch indeed.

But it pretty much hits the nail on the head IMO.

Ah, thank you! :huglove:

I'm glad that Giel Beelen picked up the news...

It's a radio station with quite a lot of listeners, that's positive!

Giel Beelen kept his word and played Celebrate this morning on Dutch radio. He also mentioned TOOL will be out after summer.

:yay:

Oh ... and he liked the song. :thumb_yello:

The "release" of the song is likely only being delayed a few weeks so it's not that big of a deal IMO. WAG started getting radio play in July for a September release. The only thing I find odd about this is why it was immediately released in France the day it came out and 3 months before the album.

Somehow after the latest things happening in France, I think in some way or another, they have Mika by his balls, if you know what I mean :mf_rosetinted:

Maybe the contract he has with them requires some special attention :dunno: (from Mika to France, I mean) and Mika signed months (or even years :aah:) ago that he would benefit them by giving them a couple of singles before they were released in the rest of the World.

Ouch!! :aah:

I don't know if anyone has dug up the lyrics subject again since the Lovebox performance but I was watching Jazzy's videos and I think the line at 1:15 is starting to sound to me like "we'll lead the way". :dunno: Any other ideas? :naughty:

what i understand since lovebox is "be and act like this forever, for me no way!" - does that make sense? :dunno: i tried to focus on his face for this part in the first and second verse while filming celebrate, maybe someone can try to read from his lips. :naughty: (you can watch the video in hd quality on youtube)

[YOUTUBE]eayDyzD9OMw[/YOUTUBE]

Nice work! I think it might get some early airplay in French speaking Canada but probably not near me.

Thank you, don't think it was my work, but at least it was played on the radio! Hopefully it wasn't a one time only, and they will be playing it on the days this time! :aah:

This is what I'm hearing too.

I'm not the only one! :thumb_yello:

I still can't find an email for universal music. I tried to email a Radio but dah I couldn't, there was something wrong with the link :sneaky2: Facebook's pages are my only hope so far :pray:

I could find an email address either, so used Google and just picked a random one. No idea if it was the right one, but at least I sent an email :teehee:

And I still can't buy the single anywhere, so I'm going to send an email to Itunes as well, to see when they are going to start selling it. Everything is just really weird....