MIKA @ Glasgow's ABC (UK) 16 December 2012-- Cancelled!

dcdeb

Just posted some of this in the Oldlings but will put it here too for what it's worth.

It's not for me that I am really sad/mad about it- I am going to London. It's for everyone else who only had the one gig and who either haven't seen him for a long time or not at all. And for everyone who has spent a lot of money on it.

I know it isn't easy to put your hands up and say ' I am really sorry but this gig hasn't sold as well as we had hoped' but I think people would have respected that more. To come out with some rubbish about laryngitis but to perform either side of it elsewhere just adds insult to injury. It if was a genuine cancellation due to sickness it would have been rescheduled . I am not saying that he isn't ill - but you are either well enough to perform or you aren't . It shouldn't be geographical.

A more truthful statement would have been - ' he has to cut his singing commitments and as this gig has not sold well its the one that gets the chop.'

But realistically that's not commercial is it.

I still think he could just arrange a little get together for mfcers where he could just on a stool and chat.:mf_rosetinted:

Well ... you know what we asked you to do. :mf_rosetinted:

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SO sorry for everyone who was attending this :hug love:

The sad thing is that cancelling shows, for whatever reason, makes people a bit nervous about booking tickets, travel, hotels etc. for future gigs.

As an artist who relies so heavily on his voice being in tip-top condition, obviously the best way forward from his point of view would be if the tours were scheduled with more breaks. Not just the odd day off between gigs (which isn't ever really a day off because it's usually spent travelling or doing bits of promo) but maybe two weeks on one week off, or a stipulation of no back to back gigs.

However it's a hugely expensive way of touring because you need to retain your band and crew, and obviously if you're far from home, you still have hotels and per diems to pay out and no gig money coming in for the days off. It only really works for an artist who's selling out massive venues where the income from bums-on-seats at huge shows is sufficient to pay for the luxury of days off. Sadly, income from gigs at venues the size of the Roundhouse or Manchester Ritz is not going to provide for that luxury.

So the solution is.... :dunno:

SO sorry for everyone who was attending this :hug love:

The sad thing is that cancelling shows, for whatever reason, makes people a bit nervous about booking tickets, travel, hotels etc. for future gigs.

As an artist who relies so heavily on his voice being in tip-top condition, obviously the best way forward from his point of view would be if the tours were scheduled with more breaks. Not just the odd day off between gigs (which isn't ever really a day off because it's usually spent travelling or doing bits of promo) but maybe two weeks on one week off, or a stipulation of no back to back gigs.

However it's a hugely expensive way of touring because you need to retain your band and crew, and obviously if you're far from home, you still have hotels and per diems to pay out and no gig money coming in for the days off. It only really works for an artist who's selling out massive venues where the income from bums-on-seats at huge shows is sufficient to pay for the luxury of days off. Sadly, income from gigs at venues the size of the Roundhouse or Manchester Ritz is not going to provide for that luxury.

So the solution is.... :dunno:

Yes sadly it looks his schedule was too tight for his voice and there was no possibility to give it enough rest. And on the other hand, it's just not possible to have the luxury of several days off, it's too expensive. Maybe the combination of festivals, different kind of smaller shows and private/corporate shows could work him just well or just accepting that sometimes there are cancellations during busy tours (not good promotion and not good for his voice, I assume, but of course don't know much about the voice issue in the long run).

However it's a hugely expensive way of touring because you need to retain your band and crew, and obviously if you're far from home, you still have hotels and per diems to pay out and no gig money coming in for the days off. It only really works for an artist who's selling out massive venues where the income from bums-on-seats at huge shows is sufficient to pay for the luxury of days off.

We talked about this a lot in 2007. Mika was plagued with problems for so long and even after a long period of rest before the Dodgy Holiday Tour that I thought he just didn't have the constitution for touring. That he was never going to be able to hack it and there was no solution because as you say it is cost prohibitive to get enough rest. But by early 2008 he was fine and has seemed to be okay other than a few colds here and there which everyone must have to deal with.

Perhaps this is just another run of bad luck although another TV show has just been announced for next week so I still think his voice problems are an excuse to cancel Glasgow. Like I said, in 2007 he was not even speaking it was so bad and here he is adding commitments, not saving his voice.

I think Mika isn't lying, he was ill and his voice isn´t well.

* Why do you think that isn't true?

Listening to his recent performances, it is clear that his voice isn't good. Seeing some recent photos, it´s clear that isn't physically well, he is very very thin.

If he has to cancel, I think it makes more sense to cancel the concert to affect fewer people and not a big concert, with more people affected.

I say this but I am sad, I have friends who were going to the concert, was his chance. I'm just trying to understand Mika.

After seeing his performance in Madrid, and in other concerts, I think it´s clear that Mika has no plans to cancel any concert. In Madrid it was a small and not crowded and he was very ill.

Not the same sing two songs on a TV show to do a concert two hours.

Examples:

minute:

X_factor_It2012.jpg

Sorry for my english,so bad:sad:

what i really dont understand is that according to the statement yesterday Mikas doctors advised that he 'dramatically' cut down on his singing commitments so, to me 1 concert is not a 'dramatic' cutback on singing especialy as he's doing 2 nights in a row!!! i would have imagined he cancel Glasgow and one of the English gigs and also Iceland to give his voice a real break. Have also heard he is now booked to do another tv appearance next week!!!:blink: just doesnt make sense to me. would have appreciated more honesty about the whole thing even a tweet form Mika apologising to his fans, especialy ones who were travelling from further afield. :wait::wait:

I feel really sorry for the fans who were looking forward to this gig, especially the ones who have forked out for travel and accommodation and for those who can't travel to see him anywhere else. :blink:

However I really feel for Mika. I absolutely believe that he has laryngitis. When he sang with us before the Munich gig he hurt his throat and was holding it as we've seen him do before. I almost asked if he'd warmed his voice up properly as he seemed to bounce in to the room and start from cold. But it seemed to be his business, not mine and I didn't want to seem as if I was mothering him - his own mother was there after all! :huglove:

If, running alongside his health problems, there are issues to do with the ticket sales, then I'm both sorry and amazed. These gigs have been at smaller venues anyway. Is it that he's been off the scene for so long? My son said he wouldn't have known he was back and with a new album if it hadn't been for me putting it on in the car. Plus, of course, the recession. It seems an obvious and easy cut back for people who are feeling the pinch.

What a mess.

Let's hope he recovers quickly :crossed:

I asked Mika why he had cancelled the Glasgow gig . He said that he had been told that he needed to cancel at least three commitments and he had cancelled one gig and two tv shows . He said he wàs really sorry. I said that I knew but there were a lot of very disappointed people and he said he knew and he was really sorry. He also spoke to Vicky about it.

I asked Mika why he had cancelled the Glasgow gig . He said that he had been told that he needed to cancel at least three commitments and he had cancelled one gig and two tv shows . He said he wàs really sorry. I said that I knew but there were a lot of very disappointed people and he said he knew and he was really sorry. He also spoke to Vicky about it.

Thanks Kath. Did you ask if it would be rescheduled?

thanks Kath.

Can we put it on a big banner for everyone to see please?:mf_rosetinted:

Thanks for asking Kath. :flowers2:

I have also just remembered he said that if he carried on like this he wouldn't have a voice at all next year.

Rescheduling the whole UK would have been REALLY better then :shocked:

Promo is lighter than gigs... He usually have to sing 1 or 2 songs/TV show ... If he had done that, he could have done everything in the long run.

Maybe insurances were also the problem... :'/

Anyway, I'm glad to hear he'll be back in Scotland :thumb_yello:

*even if we don't know when exactly*

Rescheduling the whole UK would have been REALLY better then :shocked:

Promo is lighter than gigs... He usually have to sing 1 or 2 songs/TV show ... If he had done that, he could have done everything in the long run.

Maybe insurances were also the problem... :'/

Anyway, I'm glad to hear he'll be back in Scotland :thumb_yello:

*even if we don't know when exactly*

IMO better to cancel entire UK tours, (rescheduling actually) and strongly focus on TV show appearance...that's very important to get over the ignorance in UK :sad: By canceling gigs he could've prepare amazing performance only for TV shows, do some more radios maybe.. to make UK ppl get to know him there again... and he can do gigs next year...

Ok...from September 2012 I never never neveeeeeeeeeeer understand what da hell his promo team is doing for him. Nothing make sense and every decision is very ridiculous.

Hi there, I have registered for the forum to add my own thoughts to the Glasgow cancellation discussion. I am 51 years of age, and have been going to concerts since I first saw Slade at the famous old Glasgow Apollo back in 1974. I have been lucky enough to see many bands that I rate to be 'the greats' - Led Zeppelin, The Who, Queen, Bruce Springsteen, and I have been a big U2 fan since I first saw them in 1980 at Strathclyde University for the princely sum of £1.75 ticket price.

I like a lot of varied music - modern rock bands like Band of Skulls and Silversun Pickups being amongst my favourite bands. When I heard Mika's singles on the radio, it encouraged me to dig into his album catalogue, and to attend his live shows in Scotland. I think the guy is insanely talented, a true showman, but behind the on-stage glitz and showmanship are truly memorable songs, played live by a band who really can rock out when needed. I would rate Mika's live shows to be up there with the very best I have seen, and he easily rivals Freddie Mercury or the late Michael Hutchence as a great front man.

In all my years of going to gigs, the amount of gigs that have been blown out are few and far between - perhaps five gigs in total since 1974. Most of those have been down to illness - but the bands in question cancelled entire tours or entire blocks of dates. I was very disappointed to read of the Mika Glasgow cancellation, and to hear that he was ill - and it could be serious for his future if he didn;t act now. I was therefore puzzled and actually angry when I found out that far from blowing out the four dates, it was only the Glasgow show on the 16th that was cancelled. I have friends in the medical profession, one of whom was club doctor to a Scottish Premier League football club for over 30 years. He has never, in his entire career, heard of a laryngitis case where a performer was able to sing at two consecutive concerts, cancel one concert a day or two later, then be well enough to pick it up again a mere two days later.

I must admit, I am extremely sceptical. I think the decision to blow out only the Glasgow gig is very suspicious, and leads me to think other motives must have come into play. I have read about possible poor ticket sales, or the Glasgow show simply being the 'easy option' to cancel. Now, I am not here to put the boot into Mika, nor am I about to burn his album collection in a hissy fit - but something just isn't right.

I think Mika and his management/advisors have badly let down his Scottish fans here. Also, the communication as to the reason for the cancellation leaves a lot to be desired - especially if additional TV appearances were added in. Some strange case of laryngitis indeed.

So, the way I see it, Mika has let down a lot of his fans, and there's a way to 'make it up' to his Scottish fans. Very simply - play a rescheduled Glasgow show in 2013, and put on a bloody good performance (as I think he almost always does anyway!). Glasgow - not Edinburgh. Get it on...

Everyone deserves a second chance. I have got a refund, I am not screaming and kicking and stamping my feet in disgust - I am however disappointed. Not in the cancellation itself - but certainly the circumstances surrounding it are pretty poor to say the least.

I look forward to seeing an announcement about a rescheduled Glasgow 2013 show on Mika's website. I will be watching throughout the year with keen interest to see it being announced. If it isn't rescheduled, that's your chance gone mate. Ball is in your court.

I have been lucky enough to see many bands that I rate to be 'the greats' - Led Zeppelin, The Who, Queen, Bruce Springsteen, and I have been a big U2 fan since I first saw them in 1980 at Strathclyde University for the princely sum of £1.75 ticket price.

I am so jealous. :aah: Especially about Led Zeppelin. I was only 11 or 12 when John Bonham died so that was never going to happen for me.

Anyway welcome to MFC. :welcomeani:

I hope Glasgow gets rescheduled and you'll be back to report on it.

I am so jealous. :aah: Especially about Led Zeppelin. I was only 11 or 12 when John Bonham died so that was never going to happen for me.

Anyway welcome to MFC. :welcomeani:

I hope Glasgow gets rescheduled and you'll be back to report on it.

If it is rescheduled, I'll be sure to report back on the gig. If it is anything like the previous Mika concerts I've been to, it will be superb.

As I said, I'm keeping my eyes open for an announcement, I really hope both Mika and his management team set up a rescheduled gig.

Hi there, I have registered for the forum to add my own thoughts to the Glasgow cancellation discussion. I am 51 years of age, and have been going to concerts since I first saw Slade at the famous old Glasgow Apollo back in 1974. I have been lucky enough to see many bands that I rate to be 'the greats' - Led Zeppelin, The Who, Queen, Bruce Springsteen, and I have been a big U2 fan since I first saw them in 1980 at Strathclyde University for the princely sum of £1.75 ticket price.

I like a lot of varied music - modern rock bands like Band of Skulls and Silversun Pickups being amongst my favourite bands. When I heard Mika's singles on the radio, it encouraged me to dig into his album catalogue, and to attend his live shows in Scotland. I think the guy is insanely talented, a true showman, but behind the on-stage glitz and showmanship are truly memorable songs, played live by a band who really can rock out when needed. I would rate Mika's live shows to be up there with the very best I have seen, and he easily rivals Freddie Mercury or the late Michael Hutchence as a great front man.

In all my years of going to gigs, the amount of gigs that have been blown out are few and far between - perhaps five gigs in total since 1974. Most of those have been down to illness - but the bands in question cancelled entire tours or entire blocks of dates. I was very disappointed to read of the Mika Glasgow cancellation, and to hear that he was ill - and it could be serious for his future if he didn;t act now. I was therefore puzzled and actually angry when I found out that far from blowing out the four dates, it was only the Glasgow show on the 16th that was cancelled. I have friends in the medical profession, one of whom was club doctor to a Scottish Premier League football club for over 30 years. He has never, in his entire career, heard of a laryngitis case where a performer was able to sing at two consecutive concerts, cancel one concert a day or two later, then be well enough to pick it up again a mere two days later.

I must admit, I am extremely sceptical. I think the decision to blow out only the Glasgow gig is very suspicious, and leads me to think other motives must have come into play. I have read about possible poor ticket sales, or the Glasgow show simply being the 'easy option' to cancel. Now, I am not here to put the boot into Mika, nor am I about to burn his album collection in a hissy fit - but something just isn't right.

I think Mika and his management/advisors have badly let down his Scottish fans here. Also, the communication as to the reason for the cancellation leaves a lot to be desired - especially if additional TV appearances were added in. Some strange case of laryngitis indeed.

So, the way I see it, Mika has let down a lot of his fans, and there's a way to 'make it up' to his Scottish fans. Very simply - play a rescheduled Glasgow show in 2013, and put on a bloody good performance (as I think he almost always does anyway!). Glasgow - not Edinburgh. Get it on...

Everyone deserves a second chance. I have got a refund, I am not screaming and kicking and stamping my feet in disgust - I am however disappointed. Not in the cancellation itself - but certainly the circumstances surrounding it are pretty poor to say the least.

I look forward to seeing an announcement about a rescheduled Glasgow 2013 show on Mika's website. I will be watching throughout the year with keen interest to see it being announced. If it isn't rescheduled, that's your chance gone mate. Ball is in your court.

Hi :bye: Always good to see a new face and there aren't that many of us from Scotland on the forum.

I totally agree with you. Disappointment is exactly the word. It just doesn't ring true. As you say -illness is not selective. Mika said on Thurdsay night 'we'll be back' but unfortunately unless things change dramatically I just can't see it myself. I don't think there is any doubt as to the reason why this gig was cancelled. Clearly he is struggling - and has probably being adviced to try and cut down a bit on commitments but it would have be reschedualed if it had been a genuine case of illness.

I would love to be proved wrong however. We don't see much of Mika in the UK at all these days....and even less in Scotland. I certainly hope that he comes back.