The Official " The Origin of Love " Charts & Sales around the World Thread

suzie

That's incredible, it is not even an official single. :thumb_yello:

Do you think it could have done well in other french speaking countries, if it has been released as single? Or maybe you have a different taste in Quebec?

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think it could have done well in other french speaking countries, if it has been released as single? Or maybe you have a different taste in Quebec?

No wonder mika only releases singles only in French after.....

Karen still going up ! #10 to #4, and now #3 ! :wub2:

http://www.ckoi.com/musique-decompte-franco.php

That's wonderful news! Karen is a brilliant song. I like it even better than EMD/Emily, even though I've never heard it in English.

Its well constructed and has the feel of a story-song even when its in French. I hope it gets to #1 and he brings out an English version for us non-French-speakers.

I have no idea ! Maybe... or maybe not ! I don't know about our taste but EMD was really popular too. Radios seem to like MIKA's french songs.. but they are not playing his english songs. :sneaky2:

And a lot of person didn't know it was a song by Mika before I told them.

Karen still going up ! #10 to #4, and now #3 ! :wub2:

http://www.ckoi.com/musique-decompte-franco.php

This is just so great !!! :blush-anim-cl: "Karen" is a masterpiece, and I don't need the song in english, even I don't understand much of the french language :blush-anim-cl: But I have seen the song translated into english - and know the story about this girl from Bistro 82, Rue de Martyr ...

Love,love

mb

• 2 weeks later...
Francechart.png

from SNEP (Syndicat National de l'Edition Phonographique)

France sales statistics so far..

there must be something wrong with the numbers of the sales of TOOL, he got platin in France which means he sold over 100 000 albums there and when someone congratulated him he said he sold more than 130 000.

there must be something wrong with the numbers of the sales of TOOL, he got platin in France which means he sold over 100 000 albums there and when someone congratulated him he said he sold more than 130 000.

I think it's from very reliable source... You can check the sales till 31th October here http://www.actu.snepmusique.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/DISQUES-DOR-2012_site.pdf and can see TOOL didn't reach 50,000 till then. so that number till Dec 16 is quite make sense. But we can get to know exact number maybe next year.

Edited by Yuna

I agree with you, we have always heard that LICM sold more than 1.5 million and TBWKTM around 400.000 if not more. Also it was said that EMD sold more than Relax which is not the case with these figures :dunno:

I think it's from very reliable source... You can check the sales till 31th October here http://www.actu.snepmusique.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/DISQUES-DOR-2012_site.pdf and can see TOOL didn't reach 50,000 till then. so that number till Dec 16 is quite make sense. But we can get to know exact number maybe next year.

Platin in France is definitiv 100 000 albums and he got Platin in France.

here you can see how many sales you need in which country.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldene_Schallplatte

I think I've read somewhere that he has sold around 500,000 copies :dunno:

100,000 copies is a very low threshold for a platinum album in a country of 65 million people. That used to be the number for awarding platinum in Canada when the population was 30 million. It has been adjusted to 80,000 because of poor sales in the record industry but we still have barely more than half the population of France.

Where was Mika awarded the platinum album for TOOL. Are we sure it was real? :mf_rosetinted: It doesn't look like SNEP has updated their certifications database since 2011 so maybe their sales figures aren't accurate either.

100,000 copies is a very low threshold for a platinum album in a country of 65 million people. That used to be the number for awarding platinum in Canada when the population was 30 million. It has been adjusted to 80,000 because of poor sales in the record industry but we still have barely more than half the population of France.

Where was Mika awarded the platinum album for TOOL. Are we sure it was real? :mf_rosetinted: It doesn't look like SNEP has updated their certifications database since 2011 so maybe their sales figures aren't accurate either.

Germany has not so much more population ( 86 million people ) than France and here the sales have to be 300 000 albums for platin. I don´t understand their systhem :wink2:. Mika got Platin during his last gigs in France and I think Melgine ( it was one of the choir girls and he told her he sold 130 000 in France )congratulated him.

Edited by Sabine64

Mika got Platin during his last gigs in France and I think Melgine ( it was one of the choir girls and he told her he sold 130 000 in France )congratulated him.

Mika tells people a lot of things about his achievements. :naughty: But if he received the platinum disc then obviously it hit 100,000 even according to SNEP so maybe their numbers are not up to date on their site.

He was awarded Platinum after the 2nd gig in Paris, Doriand tweeted about it https://twitter.com/Doriandavecund/status/268679428350025728/photo/1/large

:blink:

It should be in there. Why isn't it in there? If I understand correctly, the first link is actually the list for the whole year up to end of October. Mika should at least be in the first category for 50000 albums...

It should be in there. Why isn't it in there? If I understand correctly, the first link is actually the list for the whole year up to end of October. Mika should at least be in the first category for 50000 albums...

One theory is... SNEP and the local record label count the album sales differently so TOOL is not platinum based on SNEP's counting.. :blink:

For example, the Lable may count sales based on their stock releasing, and the Charting company might count actual sales record of retail shops.

the Platinum disc is given by Local record company I think .. (Barclay or Universal music)

Edited by Yuna

One theory is... SNEP and the local record label count the album sales differently so TOOL is not platinum based on SNEP's counting.. :blink:

For example, the Lable may count sales based on their stock releasing, and the Charting company might count actual sales record of retail shops.

the Platinum disc is given by Local record company I think .. (Barclay or Universal music)

I don't know how it works anywhere else but the Canadian Recording Industry Association issues the certification here and they are based on reported sales from the record label. But the record label has to certify that they've shipped that many copies and they don't reasonably expect them to be returned by the retailers who purchased them. I don't know if things have changed in the past years with digital sales but that's how it used to be.

I think it may be only the certifications issued in October, not up to October. So it may have happened in September. I wouldn't think that's likely because it takes time to process certifications (so the album could achieve 100,000 sales in September but it won't necessarily be certified in September)...but I can't find the September listing so maybe it's there. :dunno:

I don't know how it works anywhere else but the Canadian Recording Industry Association issues the certification here and they are based on reported sales from the record label. But the record label has to certify that they've shipped that many copies and they don't reasonably expect them to be returned by the retailers who purchased them. I don't know if things have changed in the past years with digital sales but that's how it used to be.

I searched how Billboard chart and US charts work, and it says..

Billboard got sale data from Nielsen Soundscan System, and that system count the real sale records all over the country (retailers -> customers) and that's the data for Billboard chart system. But Billboard issues Gold-Platinum certies base on data from Recording Industry Association of America. (RIAA) RIAA sends the data based on their stock releasing. (Each Record Label -> Retailers)

Billboard says, they issue Gold/Platinum certies based on RIAA data because Nielsen Soundscan System data is much less than RIAA. Nielsen doesn't count returned ones and CDs still on the shelves of each retail shop and promotional CDs.

I think it's similar in France too. TBWKTM got 4X platinum in Korea by Universal music, the label company, but when I checked the annual record report Mika was not listed in 4X platinum cuz it's base on Real sale amount. Mistery solved :mf_rosetinted:

Edited by Yuna

I searched how Billboard chart and US charts work, and it says..

Billboard got sale data from Nielsen Soundscan System, and that system count the real sale records all over the country (retailers -> customers) and that's the data for Billboard chart system. But Billboard issues Gold-Platinum certies base on data from Recording Industry Association of America. (RIAA) RIAA sends the data based on their stock releasing. (Each Record Label -> Retailers)

Billboard says, they issue Gold/Platinum certies based on RIAA data because Nielsen Soundscan System data is much less than RIAA. Nielsen doesn't count returned ones and CDs still on the shelves of each retail shop and promotional CDs.

I think it's similar in France too. TBWKTM got 4X platinum in Korea by Universal music, the label company, but when I checked the annual record report Mika was not listed in 4X platinum cuz it's base on Real sale amount. Mistery solved :mf_rosetinted:

Hmmm...but isn't SNEP the French equivalent of the RIAA? I still don't think there should be a discrepancy in the album certification and the record sales according to SNEP regardless of how SNEP is determining their numbers. And everyone who is issuing certified discs (whether it's the record label or Billboard or whoever) should be using the same certifying body I would think... :dunno:

As far as I was aware a gold disc is not legitimate if it's not based on the RIAA or CRIA certifications in the US and Canada. Whether the RIAA or CRIA's numbers are legitimate is another matter...

I think we finally have the correct sales figures for France. Unfortunately it is to be found in an article about flops this year. They consider TOOL as a flop taking into account Mika's huge popularity with LICM :huh:

http://www.chartsinfrance.net/actualite/news-83597.html?p=6

So it's 71.000 copies sold; he got Platinum because 100.000 have been shipped but not all sold.

Also, most people commenting on this article are saying that Mika lacked promo this time.