Hello from a New Freak!

ceebs

Hello, everyone. My name is Chris and I'm from Wisconsin, in the US, which is my only excuse for arriving late to this party. I have 13yo daughter, a 9yo son and a lovely husband.

The madness began for me with Popular Song. I had vaguely heard of Mika, but all I knew was that he was very good, and very unique. On the fateful evening, my daughter was playing some of her favorite videos on You Tube for me. She said, "Oh, here's one you should like." And played Popular Song. My immediate reaction was, "Oh my dear lord, who IS that". It took my about ten seconds to break up with my former musician dream man (Damon Albarn). I then proceeded to listen to, watch, and read everything I could about this amazing creature. The music-tthe first CD I got my hands on was TOOL, and while I love Popular Song, it really doesn't give you a great idea of what his voice can do. I listened in the car, and when he hits that high note in the first song, I nearly drove off the road.

Not only have I been blown away by the music, I am also so impressed with Mika as a person. His back story, intelligence, integrity, sincerity. He just seems like genuine, kind and completely unique person. A comment I keep on reading is, "I didn't think I could love this man any more, but......."

But you know what? It is very lonely being a fan in the US where he's basically known as the tall guy who sings with Ariana Grande. My kids don't want to ride in the car with me because I won't listen to any other music. My daughter just rolls her eyes when I show her cute pictures of Mel, and tell her interesting bits of trivia. I need to be with my people! I feel like I'm now part of a more brightly colored, cheerier world, and I'm looking forward sharing it with everyone!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, everyone. My name is Chris and I'm from Wisconsin, in the US, which is my only excuse for arriving late to this party. I have 13yo daughter, a 9yo son and a lovely husband.

The madness began for me with Popular Song. I had vaguely heard of Mika, but all I knew was that he was very good, and very unique. On the fateful evening, my daughter was playing some of her favorite videos on You Tube for me. She said, "Oh, here's one you should like." And played Popular Song. My immediate reaction was, "Oh my dear lord, who IS that". It took my about ten seconds to break up with my former musician dream man (Damon Albarn). I then proceeded to listen to, watch, and read everything I could about this amazing creature. The music-tthe first CD I got my hands on was TOOL, and while I love Popular Song, it really doesn't give you a great idea of what his voice can do. I listened in the car, and when he hits that high note in the first song, I nearly drove off the road.

Not only have I been blown away by the music, I am also so impressed with Mika as a person. His back story, intelligence, integrity, sincerity. He just seems like genuine, kind and completely unique person. A comment I keep on reading is, "I didn't think I could love this man any more, but......."

But you know what? It is very lonely being a fan in the US where he's basically known as the tall guy who sings with Ariana Grande. My kids don't want to ride in the car with me because I won't listen to any other music. My daughter just rolls her eyes when I show her cute pictures of Mel, and tell her interesting bits of trivia. I need to be with my people! I feel like I'm now part of a more brightly colored, cheerier world, and I'm looking forward sharing it with everyone!

From one American fan to another, WELCOME!

Oh, and playing MIKA in the car is the only way I can drive to work in the morning without screaming at the other drivers...

:welcomeani: Chris!

You may feel like a loner, but you're definitely not the only US person who has discovered and loves Mika. :wink2:

I'm here in the Washington DC area, and there are quite a few of us scattered around the country. Many of us have gathered here at MFC so you're absolutely in the right place! :thumb_yello:

Have fun getting to know everyone here, and make sure you go out and get Mika's first two albums! :naughty:

Thanks, everyone! I have quickly learned that Mika fans are very welcoming and very devoted.

Deb, I'm lucky enough that our library system has copies of all the albums, so I put holds on them to see how I liked them. It took me about 15 seconds to decide Very Much, and I told my husband, "Here's something you can get me for Christmas. " So right now all three are our basement Christmas stash, and it's killing me. Two of the cds I had were due (one had a hold on it so someone besides me in this city must be a fan:blush-anim-cl:) So right now all I have is TBWKTM. So between that and You Tube I'm managing! Favorite song? I don't have one, because it would be like picking your favorite child. But if forced, I would probably say WAG. Plus, I can't stop watching the video!

Thanks, everyone! I have quickly learned that Mika fans are very welcoming and very devoted.

Deb, I'm lucky enough that our library system has copies of all the albums, so I put holds on them to see how I liked them. It took me about 15 seconds to decide Very Much, and I told my husband, "Here's something you can get me for Christmas. " So right now all three are our basement Christmas stash, and it's killing me. Two of the cds I had were due (one had a hold on it so someone besides me in this city must be a fan:blush-anim-cl:) So right now all I have is TBWKTM. So between that and You Tube I'm managing! Favorite song? I don't have one, because it would be like picking your favorite child. But if forced, I would probably say WAG. Plus, I can't stop watching the video!

:blush-anim-cl: It's so amazing that you really could experience MIKA live for the first time, together with your whole fam!! :wink2: What a perfect start - hope you all will enjoy the best singer/songwriter in the world, for a long time... :fisch: Welcome to us at MFC !! :wub2:

Love,love

me

:naughty: I see now I mixed you with another brand new member, Claire with her mikafreak fam, sorry for that :wink2: But we're all alike - and we're equally lucky to have found MIKA - long time ago, or lately - so enjoy!! :fisch:

Love,love

me

Welcome to MFC family Chris :group_hug:

I also drove off the road when I played TOOL for the very first time :lmfao: and I got a fine for driving too fast while singing along to Elle Me Dit :floor:

You belong here :wink2:

I hope you've heard his first two CDs by now, you'll love them too :wub2:

Yes Mika is that sweet and amazing :wub2:

You've got to see him live first change you get :thumb_yello:

Have a very happy time sharing Mika love with us :huglove::mikalove:

Mamiam, no problem. I WISH I would have been able to see him with my family! I don't know what they would think about that though. Yesterday, though, my husband said, "I've got this song stuck in my head..... It goes lahdee dahdee dee...lahdee dahdee dee..." Yep, it was Love Today. Then I made him watch Grace Kelly on You Tube because he likes Queen. He found the similaritiy scary and actually liked the song, so there is hope.

Mamiam, no problem. I WISH I would have been able to see him with my family! I don't know what they would think about that though. Yesterday, though, my husband said, "I've got this song stuck in my head..... It goes lahdee dahdee dee...lahdee dahdee dee..." Yep, it was Love Today. Then I made him watch Grace Kelly on You Tube because he likes Queen. He found the similaritiy scary and actually liked the song, so there is hope.

:naughty: Sounds really promising!! :thumb_yello: My husband went with me to my first MIKA live concert, he prefered to sit on the balcony of the arena - while "wild horses couldn't keep me away" ( Rolling Stones ) from first row! :wub2: He too loves Queen, and had to admit afterwards, that MIKA had an amazing energy, and impressing voice - but I think I'm fan enough, for the both of us - in quantity ...:teehee:

Love,love

me

Hi Chris!

I'm Catherine, from Montreal, Quebec and I also discover Mika because of my daughter (she'll be 14 on Jan 1). I'm a bigger Mika fan now... I also have 12-year old twin boys and a hubby who all hate Mika with a passion:shocked:

Welcome aboard!

Hey there :bye: i'm Dee, i live in Nebraska. I know how you feel about feeling like a lonely Mika fan. Didn't realize how many of us there are until i joined MFC and realized we're just very widely scattered.

I loved what you said in your first post about Mika as a person and completely agree :thumb_up:

Thats great your library has all three of his CDs, mine only has LICM and TOOL (and that's only because i requested they buy TOOL :teehee: ) Maybe someday you'll meet the mystery person who put the cd on hold. i actually work in the library here and i'm always checking to see if anyone's checked his cds out, if not then i check them out just to help out his stats (so the library will be more likely to buy the next ones).

Anyway, i'm the world rep for the USA. So if you ever have any questions or need anything feel free to PM me and i'll be happy to help.

Here's a link to the American thread http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15763 if you want to chat with other MFCers from the USA.

Edited by kreacher

Oh I had a moment like that but I was in a club and not a car and I was listening to Mika's live voice, not a CD. Wait until you hear the real thing. You will really be blown away. :naughty:

:welcomeani:

Exactly.

I didn't talk for days after my first gig.

Hi Chris,

welcome here!!

I don't write that much, but I was impressed by your intro.

As Christine said, I'm waiting for your report after your first gig. you will be in confettis mode, probably speechless for days.

Forevah.

You'll let us know :wink2:

Myriam

Exactly.

I didn't talk for days after my first gig.

After my first gig I couldn't talk, eat, work, it was a totally PMD ( I was really depressed) and quickly I had to look for the nex gig I could afford to see him again :doh: But Chris, don't be afraid, go to a gig, enjoy it and come back to tell us everything :wink2:

I did not experience speechlessness or depression. It was just a lot of fun and I was incredibly impressed with Mika's ability to sing. There were many British singer songwriters doing promo tours in Canada at the the time so I was seeing them in small clubs and they were all amazing. But I sensed that Mika was an exception among this already exceptional group and that his voice and his presence were too big for the small club and he was going to be a star.

It's funny I just saw Katy Perry on the same tiny stage a couple of weeks ago. It felt like some kind of full circle moment because she is very tied to Mika in my mind and for several reasons I would not have been there if it weren't for him.

Anyway Chris I hope you get to experience a live show soon. Mika's US shows are always special. I think he loves performing for American audiences and gives something a little extra.