Mika in French Press - 2014

BiaIchihara

As a no english native speaker, I'm used to appreciate how the language rythm fits with the melody since I was a child.

My issue with some of these French songs is that the rhythm and the lyrics don't match. The French version of GK is an abomination. Too many syllables crammed in and clashing with the melody. If Mika would collaborate with someone who could assist him in writing proper modern pop songs instead of something from 40 years ago with a forgettable meandering melody that goes nowhere I would feel very differently about it. But he's clearly collaborating with this no talent Doriand again so I am expecting more of the same lame music that is not even close to being on par or fitting in at all with his English album.

It's fine to say it will only be on the French version but that does me no good since it's the version Canada will be stuck with. Not to mention that he is probably going to fill up half his setlist at the Montreal Symphony with these songs which has made me seriously rethink going. That song he did for the last Montreal gig was awful and I am not spending 3 days in Montreal to hear more of that when he has so many better ones to choose from.

Same for me but I found him quite fascinating too. And funny and quite cute. Then I read wikipedia (:mf_rosetinted:) and discovered how interesting he was. And I finally read "accidental death of an anarchist" (or something like that, not sure of the translation), that confirms that he is interesting.

As one of you said, we know that Mika loves him, so I'm especially happy for him to be able to do a collaboration with someone he loves (I imagine how happy I would be to do a collaboration with Mika :teehee:)

I eventually had the chance to see Dario Fo live last January after he cancelled a show in my hometown last year, and I can confirm that he is an amazing actor and a funny, fascinating, cute old man. :blush-anim-cl:

Honestly I was quite suprised when I read Mika's XL column a few years ago, 'cause I think most of Italian singers of his age barely know who Dario Fo is.

Probably Daria Bignardi (the host of "Invasioni barbariche") was pretty surprised by Mika's knowledge as well, and I think she worked hard to arrange the meeting of the two also because of personal reasons concerning her husband's family (as you probably know the play "Morte accidentale di un anarchico" is based on real facts, in case someone of you is interested I'll try to explain the connection between the play and Daria's father in law)

My issue with some of these French songs is that the rhythm and the lyrics don't match. The French version of GK is an abomination. Too many syllables crammed in and clashing with the melody. If Mika would collaborate with someone who could assist him in writing proper modern pop songs instead of something from 40 years ago with a forgettable meandering melody that goes nowhere I would feel very differently about it. But he's clearly collaborating with this no talent Doriand again so I am expecting more of the same lame music that is not even close to being on par or fitting in at all with his English album.

It's fine to say it will only be on the French version but that does me no good since it's the version Canada will be stuck with. Not to mention that he is probably going to fill up half his setlist at the Montreal Symphony with these songs which has made me seriously rethink going. That song he did for the last Montreal gig was awful and I am not spending 3 days in Montreal to hear more of that when he has so many better ones to choose from.

I have nothing personal against Doriand but I do agree with you, he seems to take away Mika's mikaish side :naughty:

Probably Daria Bignardi (the host of "Invasioni barbariche") was pretty surprised by Mika's knowledge as well, and I think she worked hard to arrange the meeting of the two also because of personal reasons concerning her husband's family (as you probably know the play "Morte accidentale di un anarchico" is based on real facts, in case someone of you is interested I'll try to explain the connection between the play and Daria's father in law)

I didn't know that, tell us everything, Zia xD

(as you probably know the play "Morte accidentale di un anarchico" is based on real facts, in case someone of you is interested I'll try to explain the connection between the play and Daria's father in law)

Oh I didn't know it was related to Sofri, please tell us :wink2:

Mika just tweeted he's going to see Violetta soon. I trust him to be back in Milan.

As we know he's always late so it could be a late April fool :teehee: that "v soon" said by him sounds mmm... strange? :fisch: (joking, I think is coming back too...)

Guys, one thing is sure, he is RIGHT NOW in Paris :naughty:

Remember tomorrow is a live show of The Voice :wink2:

But maybe he will go a few days next week to Milan to see both Violetta and Dario (and others), before coming back to Paris for next Saturday

I am. Tell me like I was five.

I'm five too :blush-anim-cl:

I'd love to know :thumb_yello:

so here we go, even if I'm afraid you won't find anything romantic in this story...

On December the 12th 1969 a bomb exploded in Milan, causing the death of 17 persons. The police asked to a man called Giuseppe Pinelli, known as an anarchist, to go to the police place to be interrogated and kept him there for a few days without permission. He was completely innocent and finally died falling from a window. Subsequently the policemen stated that Pinelli threw himself out of the window committing suicide, while a large part of public opinion thought that Pinelli was tortured and accidentally fell during a "non-orthodox" interrogation.

The play "Accidental death of an anarchist" is about what happened in this police place, embracing the idea of abuse by police officers. One of these officers, Mr Luigi Calabresi, the highest in degree, was considered responsible of the death of Giuseppe Pinelli by some extremist political groups and murdered three years later.

In 1997 four people were judged resposible of the death of Mr Calabresi, and among these people were Adriano Sofri, who is Daria Bignardi's father-in-law (she is married to his son Luca, a journalist).

Adriano Sofri is widely considered a sensitive intellectual, he has always claimed his innocence and he obtained the support of many intellectuals, politicians and journalists.

I think Daria believes as well that her father-in-law is innocent and appreciated Mika's interest in this old and tragic Italian fact (even if i'm not sure of Mika's full awareness about the political depth of Fo's play) and wanted to acknowledge his deep interest in Italian culture and history.

Obviously this is only a summary and I tried to be as objective as possible, and just for the record Luca Sofri mentioned "TOOL" as one of the best songs of the year back in 2012 in his Vanity Fair column so I think Daria already knew about Mika before the whole X Factor thing :thumb_yello:

so here we go, even if I'm afraid you won't find anything romantic in this story...

On December the 12th 1969 a bomb exploded in Milan, causing the death of 17 persons. The police asked to a man called Giuseppe Pinelli, known as an anarchist, to go to the police place to be interrogated and kept him there for a few days without permission. He was completely innocent and finally died falling from a window. Subsequently the policemen stated that Pinelli threw himself out of the window committing suicide, while a large part of public opinion thought that Pinelli was tortured and accidentally fell during a "non-orthodox" interrogation.

The play "Accidental death of an anarchist" is about what happened in this police place, embracing the idea of abuse by police officers. One of these officers, Mr Luigi Calabresi, the highest in degree, was considered responsible of the death of Giuseppe Pinelli by some extremist political groups and murdered three years later.

In 1997 four people were judged resposible of the death of Mr Calabresi, and among these people were Adriano Sofri, who is Daria Bignardi's father-in-law (she is married to his son Luca, a journalist).

Adriano Sofri is widely considered a sensitive intellectual, he has always claimed his innocence and he obtained the support of many intellectuals, politicians and journalists.

I think Daria believes as well that her father-in-law is innocent and appreciated Mika's interest in this old and tragic Italian fact (even if i'm not sure of Mika's full awareness about the political depth of Fo's play) and wanted to acknowledge his deep interest in Italian culture and history.

Obviously this is only a summary and I tried to be as objective as possible, and just for the record Luca Sofri mentioned "TOOL" as one of the best songs of the year back in 2012 in his Vanity Fair column so I think Daria already knew about Mika before the whole X Factor thing :thumb_yello:

Thank you tesoro :huglove:

I believe he's innocent too :blush-anim-cl:

What a tragic story :tears:

Thanks again for explaining :thumb_yello:

I feel a little ashamed, I admit I don't know much of the "strage di piazza Fontana" events, so this was very interesting for me, thank you :huglove:

just for the record Luca Sofri mentioned "TOOL" as one of the best songs of the year back in 2012 in his Vanity Fair column so I think Daria already knew about Mika before the whole X Factor thing :thumb_yello:

Thank you for explaining, I didn't know the facts were connected, now it's clear :thumb_yello:

And I didn't know that Luca Sofri included Origin in the best songs of 2012, connoisseur :naughty:

Those were very difficult and complicated times for Italy.

However Sofri in an interview with Corriere della Sera and in his book, although continuing to proclaim himself innocent from the material point of view (of the murder of the commissioner Calabresi), he admitted a "moral" responsibility.

And I agree.I appreciate/appreciated his statement because at least he had the courage to do it.

There was a media campaign with very violent tones against Calabresi, and very shameful because, whatever happened in that room, the only sure thing is that Calabresi was not there.And then Luigi Calabresi was murdered outside his home in Milan by a group of two men, who fired a shot behind his back and one to the head.

All very sad.

Edited by charlie20

Never realised the story behind it was so tragic.

Thanks for the explanation :thumb_yello:

I'm pleased I could give my little contribution, I won't quote all your replies, anyway what's sure it that those were difficult times and I think we (including me, because I wasn't born at the time) can hardly imagine the pressure and the fear felt by Italian people in everyday life.

Innocent people died and whole families were completely destroyed, Pinelli has two daughters and Calabresi also had two blittle boys (and a third one on the way when he was killed), and this goes far beyond politics.

It's kinda sad, anyway, that students abroad know Dario Fo while in Italy schools simply ignore him: like it or lump it, he won a Nobel prize!

What I still remarkable is that Mika's teacher choose to study "Accidental death of an anarchist" and not other plays, more famous and lacking of strong political consequences, but maybe distance is exactly what we need in order to give a plain judgement on such a deep script.

Last thing, for Italian people who are eager to see "Morte accidentale di un anarchico": do you know that in the DVD one of the policemen is Claudio Bisio?

Now I think we should stop this discussion, at least here, before we totally go off topic

Those were very difficult and complicated times for Italy.

However Sofri in an interview with Corriere della Sera and in his book, although continuing to proclaim himself innocent from the material point of view (of the murder of the commissioner Calabresi), he admitted a "moral" responsibility.

And I agree.I appreciate/appreciated his statement because at least he had the courage to do it.

There was a media campaign with very violent tones against Calabresi, and very shameful because, whatever happened in that room, the only sure thing is that Calabresi was not there.And then Luigi Calabresi was murdered outside his home in Milan by a group of two men, who fired a shot behind his back and one to the head.

All very sad.

Thanks for your informations guys :thumb_yello: This is very interesting but, of course, tragic times.

When I started to read a bit about Dario Fo (only after Mika met him :mf_rosetinted:), I could find some of his books in my local library in France, translated, but the one that seemed to be the most famous was "accidental death of an anarchist" so maybe abroad he is more famous for this play than for other writings?

Thanks for your informations guys :thumb_yello: This is very interesting but, of course, tragic times.

When I started to read a bit about Dario Fo (only after Mika met him :mf_rosetinted:), I could find some of his books in my local library in France, translated, but the one that seemed to be the most famous was "accidental death of an anarchist" so maybe abroad he is more famous for this play than for other writings?

I think that usually "Mistero buffo" is considered Fo masterpiece and the past Fo himself user to play it in French, anyway it may be that accidental death of an anarchist is his mostra famous play abroad

don't know what you will read of this message anyway, I'm usino my mobile and the phone keeps changing every single word I type :sneaky2:

I think that usually "Mistero buffo" is considered Fo masterpiece and the past Fo himself user to play it in French, anyway it may be that accidental death of an anarchist is his mostra famous play abroad

don't know what you will read of this message anyway, I'm usino my mobile and the phone keeps changing every single word I type :sneaky2:

Thanks for your explanation!

We always learn something new with Mika fans:thumb_yello:

I'm pleased I could give my little contribution, I won't quote all your replies, anyway what's sure it that those were difficult times and I think we (including me, because I wasn't born at the time) can hardly imagine the pressure and the fear felt by Italian people in everyday life.

Innocent people died and whole families were completely destroyed, Pinelli has two daughters and Calabresi also had two blittle boys (and a third one on the way when he was killed), and this goes far beyond politics.

Thank you for telling us the story! :thumb_yello: