Mika in French Press - 2014

BiaIchihara

It's definitely good that we have those guidelines, CYA and all, but what impressed me about this group is that I think we are cool and respectful enough to not need them spelled out for us.:blush-anim-cl::group_hug:

I agree with all of you about the privacy, it would be horrible if I was in Mika's place...

I'm indeed so proud of MFC because they've made it clear since the begining.

And I haven't seen the pictures, I don't need to, and I don't want to either...

Also, some of us have been asked at various times by Mika's family or friends to keep private photos offline as much as we can -- we can't ignore a request like that.

Yes and this why I don't have to wonder how they feel about it. We already know.

In fact right now we are discussing about pictures showing two lads walking, to be honest those photos are quite innocent and there's no real evidence for the general public that Mika is with his boyfried, but secrecy has fuelled the fire, and now paps (and maybe tabloid readers) are eager to find salacious information even when there's nothing to be shown.

Anyway you older MFCers have been absolutely brilliant and devoted respecting Mika's privacy for such a long time, I think he can be absolutely proud of his fanbase :hi5:

Yes, the MFC have been very discrete. It is unusual for a fandom to completely comply with a celebrity wanting to keep things private.

I think it's because we've all admired the way he has conducted himself, by not trying to gain press coverage with his sexuality, or his relationship. It is a breath of fresh air in the sexually motivated celeb culture we have now.

Having said that, there's no harm in two people who are in-love, being seen as a couple. I hope they come to realize that being open about their relationship, is not going to jeopardize them in any way. In fact, it would stop the press bothering them.

Yes, the MFC have been very discrete. It is unusual for a fandom to completely comply with a celebrity wanting to keep things private.

I think it's because we've all admired the way he has conducted himself, by not trying to gain press coverage with his sexuality, or his relationship. It is a breath of fresh air in the sexually motivated celeb culture we have now.

Having said that, there's no harm in two people who are in-love, being seen as a couple. I hope they come to realize that being open about their relationship, is not going to jeopardize them in any way. In fact, it would stop the press bothering them.

It's up to them whether they want to go public or not, but it's good that Mika can rely on his fanbase loyalty

Having said that, I'm a married straight woman who lives an absolutely ordinary life, and I am aware that from this point of view I can speak easily 'cause no one is going to intrude into my privacy

And I think rules are important here, but they wouldn't work as well as they do if people didn't share their deep meaning

I love you all and I'm so proud of my MFC family :group_hug:

French press is becoming worse than ever lately , lots of trashy new magazines and a few older onces who didn't hesitate showing the French president with his new girlfriend a few weeks ago and now it's Mika's turn to be there :tears: ...I'm mad at those newspapers , I also wish Mika had given one "official" pic of them which might have withdrawn interest ...Mika never tried to hide himself but with The Voice being the most watched show and him being the most popular judges paparazzi got interested in following him ... I hope it stops now that the cat is out of the bag... :pray:

I think we all try to be decent human beings, you know? And I always try to put myself in the other person's place, and think how I would like to be treated.

I put myself in the other person's place. I know I wouldn't want to be stalked by paparazzi or even fans simply because of who my brother is, or who my boyfriend is. :dunno:

That's exactly how I see it. And the attitude towards this matter is one of the reasons I'm very proud to be part of this community (and regret I didn't decide to join years ago). I don't like to sound cheesy, but you are beautiful people. :blush-anim-cl:Ok I'm going to hide now.

That's exactly how I see it. And the attitude towards this matter is one of the reasons I'm very proud to be part of this community (and regret I didn't decide to join years ago). I don't like to sound cheesy, but you are beautiful people. :blush-anim-cl:Ok I'm going to hide now.

I love everyone here too!!! :huglove:

Nobody is going to translate the interview, please? :wink2:

Thank you in advance :flowers2:

I came here just to do this :naughty:

Thanks for the link dear Alba :huglove::hug:

The secrets wounds of Mika

Mika's thirty and it seems he's got everything going for him: a successful career, a very loving family, a happy love life...but it wasn't always so easy for the judge of The Voice. He's telling about his hidden cracks.

Relax, that is the perfect word to describe an interview with Mika. Even though it's taking place into a suite in a famous Paris palace where Mika stays each time he comes to Paris, Mika greets us in the simplest way, no posh manners with him.

"How are you?" he asks and he gives us a kiss as soon as we're in. "Have a seat" "Would you like something to eat? A macaroon? Those are insanely good, you've got to taste them!"

When he sits by us on the couch, he folds his (long) legs and answers to each of our questions with no exception.

An hour after the interview has started a press attaché shows up and stops us ..but Mika keeps chatting with us however. A precious moment with a wholesome frank young man whose personality is as unique and original as his extravangant suits.

Journalist: We know Mika as the coach of The Voice but we know less the man. Who are you Mika?

Mika: (Smiling) What can I say? I'm an immigrate with a French-American-Lebanese culture. I'm a mix of all that even if I was influenced a lot by my education in France....in our family there's only one thing we consider as a cancer, that s the fact of being jaded. So you have to keep in mind the idea that you can find absurdity funny , but that doesn't mean you have to act like a clown. You can smile but still see the dark side.

Journalist: Does this philosophy come from the fact that you were bullied at school?

Mika: Maybe...It's true that it wasn't easy nor for me nor for my family. Whatsmore we had to move many times which was a pain...All this made us strong and resilient which is helpful in daily life.

Journalist: Your father who was a diplomat was often away from home; do you bear grudges against him for that reason?

Mika: No, because we often had money problems. He had to earn money to raise five children. ...there were times when we had a cleaning lady , a private school, which was really great. And at other times we had nothing, and the seven of us lived in a two rooms apartment...it was hard for my mother but her attitude never changed. My father had to work, that's life...

Journalist: And today what sort of relationship do you have with him?

Mika: We have a very honest relationship and we are very close to each other.

Jounalist : Your brothers(XD there's an s crazy note ) , your sisters and your mother work with you. Why did you want them to be involved in your career?

Mika: Because I know that either with or without money , they'll do the job all the same. And since I love taking risks, that's better . (Laughing)

Journalist: You are very close to your family. The most difficult moment in your life was your sister's Paloma's accident which almost killed her three years ago, wasn't it?

Mika: Yes, it was hard...I don't speak much about it , and if I did lately (In Paris Match-added by the journalist) that's on her behalf. It was such an awful accident...(Paloma fell off a window and landed on a metal grid ten meters under-added by the journalist) But today she's going to have a baby, so it was important to let people know in a the most thoughtful way....

Journalist: What sort of a brother are you for Zuleika (23) , Fortuné (21), Paloma (32) and Yasmine (34)?

Mika: We have very animated chats! When we speak, we scream, but for us that's simply a talk, not an argument. That's how we communicate...I found out my way of doing has affected people in The Voice backstage: now everyone screams more!

Journalist: As a child where you more like an angel or a demon?

Mika: A mix of both. I was always scolded at school because I always did things my way. But that was a reaction to rules, not to the other pupils. I don't like rules very much....

Journalist: A bit like now..

Mika: A bit. (smiling)

Journalist: And as a teen? Where you a heartbreaker or a shy boy?

Mika: I was very shy! And I still am....except when I talk about music. But as an example, I hate going to parties. It causes me pain! I ask myself: "How am I going to talk to all those people?" I never stay or else I find a little corner where there's no one...Florent (Pagny-added by the journalist)is like me: we went twice to parties together and each time we both stayed in a corner drinking mojiitos. (Smiling)

Journalist: Are you close to Florent?

Mika: We really get on well together. I remember once with Florent we danced for an hour like we were sixteen after a shooting on the set in which that was a nineties music playlist. It was the first time the production team saw him dancing and having fun. (Laughing)

Journalist: Do you have a funny habit before you go on the set?

Mika: I brush my teeth! And I count the stairs to walk to the stage. Everyone makes fun of me because of this!

Journalist: What do you for good luck?

Mika: Actually, the number of stairs I count has to be uneven. I know it is silly. (laughing)

Journalist: Do you mind questions about your private life?

Mika: No, you can ask me anything. Hiding things is a pain and it's like playing a game. It's best to answer questions so you don't need to be afraid about anything. And if I decide not to talk about my private life, I simply don't.

Journalist: Isn't it easier as well now because you're used to it?

Mika: Yes and also because I am thirty. When I started around 22 or 23 I used to react in a different way. One changes....

Journalist: Where you already hurt by something that was written about you?

Mika; Yes , there has been difficult times...and there will be more! English press , in particular can be rough, and so can be American blogs. You read and you tell yourself: "How can they write such things without knowing me?" You have to learn how to take your distances ....

Journalist: Your coming out (made in 2012) was something about which the press talked a lot.

Mika: Actually, it was not a coming out, I simply made things more clear.All you had to do was listen to my lyrics to understand. The best proof is that my fans knew it already. (Laughing)

Journalist: What drove you to do it?

Mika: I undertstood it was better to be a bit more open about it, to demystify it. And I'm priviledged because people around me love me and it doesn't make any difference for them. I wasn't disappointed by many people, I was lucky....

Journalist: Did you tell your family long before that?

Mika: Yes, but it took time, it went through several steps. That's normal to do it this way...it is very important, it' s part of my identity. Do you realise that in some countries even the discussion we're having now is illegal! It's impossible to understand....

Journalist: Today you are in a relationship with someone. Are you still as much in love?

Mika: Yes, it's been years, but well, as all couples we have our ups....and your downs. (Smiling)

Journalist: What's more, it mustn' t be easy to be in a relationship with you living in between London, Paris, Los Angeles and Milano...

Mika: Sometimes it helps because a bit of distance is not bad in itself. It's easier to keep your own identity. Of course each partner needs to make more efforts too. Too much distance is awful. But it's not bad...

Journalist: And when do you plan to have children?

Mika: (Smiling) Having a child now would be silly. I live in four different cities alternately!

Distance with my partner is not a problem, but with children it would be a disaster. It wouldn't be fair to them. Today I'm not ready. It would be selfish and you can't behave in a selfish way with your own children.

Thank you, thank you!

Nothing terribly new, but a nice article just the same.

My mental picture of he and Florent dancing is really amusing me!

Thank you, thank you!

Nothing terribly new, but a nice article just the same.

My mental picture of he and Florent dancing is really amusing me!

I think Mika is speaking the truth there and being open :wub2: and it s official so that's good :thumb_yello: While I was translating I had a mental image of him because the interview made me feel like I was there :blush-anim-cl: really nice :mikalove:

You're very welcome Ceebs :huglove:

It reminded me that I also counted my steps for good luck when I was in high school so I'm a bit like Mika :naughty::swoon:

Edited by crazyaboutmika

Mika's thirty and it seems he's got everything going for him: a successful career, a very loving family, a happy love life...but it wasn't always so easy for the judge of The Voice. He's telling about his hidden cracks.

Relax, that is the perfect word to describe an interview with Mika. Even though it's taking place into a suite in a famous Paris palace where Mika stays each time he comes to Paris, Mika greets us in the simplest way, no posh manners with him.

"How are you?" he asks and he gives us a kiss as soon as we're in. "Have a seat" "Would you like something to eat? A macaroon? Those are insanely good, you've got to taste them!"

When he sits by us on the couch, he folds his (long) legs and answers to each of our questions with no exception.

An hour after the interview has started a press attaché shows up and stops us ..but Mika keeps chatting with us however. A precious moment with a wholesome frank young man whose personality is as unique and original as his extravangant suits.

Journalist: We know Mika as the coach of The Voice but we know less the man. Who are you Mika?

Mika: (Smiling) What can I say? I'm an immigrate with a French-American-Lebanese culture. I'm a mix of all that even if I was influenced a lot by my education in France....in our family there's only one thing we consider as a cancer, that s the fact of being jaded. So you have to keep in mind the idea that you can find absurdity funny , but that doesn't mean you have to act like a clown. You can smile but still see the dark side.

Journalist: Does this philosophy come from the fact that you were bullied at school?

Mika: Maybe...It's true that it wasn't easy nor for me nor for my family. Whatsmore we had to move many times which was a pain...All this made us strong and resilient which is helpful in daily life.

Journalist: Your father who was a diplomat was often away from home; do you bear grudges against him for that reason?

Mika: No, because we often had money problems. He had to earn money to raise five children. ...there were times when we had a cleaning lady , a private school, which was really great. And at other times we had nothing, and the seven of us lived in a two rooms apartment...it was hard for my mother but her attitude never changed. My father had to work, that's life...

Jounalist : Your brothers(XD there's an s crazy note ) , your sisters and your mother work with you. Why did you want them to be involved in your career?

Mika: Because I know that either with or without money , they'll do the job all the same. And since I love taking risks, that's better . (Laughing)

Journalist: You are very close to your family. The most difficult moment in your life was your sister's Paloma's accident which almost killed her three years ago, wasn't it?

Mika: Yes, it was hard...I don't speak much about it , and if I did lately (In Paris Match-added by the journalist) that's on her behalf. It was such an awful accident...(Paloma fell off a window and landed on a metal grid ten meters under-added by the journalist) But today she's going to have a baby, so it was important to let people know in a the most thoughtful way....

Journalist: What sort of a brother are you for Zuleika (23) , Fortuné (21), Paloma (32) and Yasmine (34)?

Mika: We have very animated chats! When we speak, we scream, but for us that's simply a talk, not an argument. That's how we communicate...I found out my way of doing has affected people in The Voice backstage: now everyone screams more!

Mika: A mix of both. I was always scolded at school because I always did things my way. But that was a reaction to rules, not to the other pupils. I don't like rules very much....

Mika: I was very shy! And I still am....except when I talk about music. But as an example, I hate going to parties. It causes me pain! I ask myself: "How am I going to talk to all those people?" I never stay or else I find a little corner where there's no one...Florent (Pagny-added by the journalist)is like me: we went twice to parties together and each time we both stayed in a corner drinking mojiitos. (Smiling)

Mika: We really get on well together. I remember once with Florent we danced for an hour like we were sixteen after a shooting on the set in which that was a nineties music playlist. It was the first time the production team saw him dancing and having fun. (Laughing)

Mika: I brush my teeth! And I count the stairs to walk to the stage. Everyone makes fun of me because of this!

Mika: Actually, the number of stairs I count has to be uneven. I know it is silly. (laughing)

Mika: No, you can ask me anything. Hiding things is a pain and it's like playing a game. It's best to answer questions so you don't need to be afraid about anything. And if I decide not to talk about my private life, I simply don't.

Mika: Yes and also because I am thirty. When I started around 22 or 23 I used to react in a different way. One changes....

Mika; Yes , there has been difficult times...and there will be more! English press , in particular can be rough, and so can be American blogs. You read and you tell yourself: "How can they write such things without knowing me?" You have to learn how to take your distances ....

Journalist: Your coming out (made in 2012) was something about which the press talked a lot.

Mika: Actually, it was not a coming out, I simply made things more clear.All you had to do was listen to my lyrics to understand. The best proof is that my fans knew it already. (Laughing)

Mika: I undertstood it was better to be a bit more open about it, to demystify it. And I'm priviledged because people around me love me and it doesn't make any difference for them. I wasn't disappointed by many people, I was lucky....

Mika: Yes, but it took time, it went through several steps. That's normal to do it this way...it is very important, it' s part of my identity. Do you realise that in some countries even the discussion we're having now is illegal! It's impossible to understand....

Journalist: Today you are in a relationship with someone. Are you still as much in love?

Mika: Yes, it's been years, but well, as all couples we have our ups....and your downs. (Smiling)

Journalist: What's more, it mustn' t be easy to be in a relationship with you living in between London, Paris, Los Angeles and Milano...

Mika: Sometimes it helps because a bit of distance is not bad in itself. It's easier to keep your own identity. Of course each partner needs to make more efforts too. Too much distance is awful. But it's not bad...

Mika: (Smiling) Having a child now would be silly. I live in four different cities alternately!

Distance with my partner is not a problem, but with children it would be a disaster. It wouldn't be fair to them. Today I'm not ready. It would be selfish and you can't behave in a selfish way with your own children.

:thumb_yello: Thanks a million for your translation ! :huglove: I think all the discussions and speculations we've had here at MFC, about his "strange" decisions, is answered by MIKA himself in two words: "one changes" :blush-anim-cl: Yes, exactly, that's what we all do throughout life!! Luckily he's a totally normal and healthy young man, who makes other choices and decisions now at the age of 30, than he did when he was 23 y.o. I experience just the same with my own two "kids" - who are at the same age as MIKA, 29 and 31 y.o. It's nothing mysterious about it at all. So in spite of the fact that most of us fell in love with "the old MIKA" seven years ago, we couldn't expect him to be "frozen" in that pattern forever ...:wink2:

I like this interview, and I feel it confirms, as so many times before, that MIKA is a reflected and wise young man - someone I look forward to follow, for a long time yet ...:wub2:

Love,love

me

Great little interview, just caught up on the last few days! Whew!

I loathe paps. Always have. Intensified after Princess Di's death. They kept me from pursuing a career in journalism. I never wanted to do it much after I saw how awful they can be.

There is such a freak show in modern celebrity journalism anyway that I don't bother to keep up with anyone but those I truly enjoy and admire and draw inspiration from. I don't know the latest on Kim and Kanye, would love to drop kick Justin Bieber into the Pacific and I'll be fine without all that information cluttering my life.

:thumb_yello: Thanks a million for your translation ! :huglove: I think all the discussions and speculations we've had here at MFC, about his "strange" decisions, is answered by MIKA himself in two words: "one changes" :blush-anim-cl: Yes, exactly, that's what we all do throughout life!! Luckily he's a totally normal and healthy young man, who makes other choices and decisions now at the age of 30, than he did when he was 23 y.o. I experience just the same with my own two "kids" - who are at the same age as MIKA, 29 and 31 y.o. It's nothing mysterious about it at all. So in spite of the fact that most of us fell in love with "the old MIKA" seven years ago, we couldn't expect him to be "frozen" in that pattern forever ...:wink2:

I like this interview, and I feel it confirms, as so many times before, that MIKA is a reflected and wise young man - someone I look forward to follow, for a long time yet ...:wub2:

Love,love

me

My thoughts exactly. He is evolving as a person. He's not so nervous about talking more openly. It's a lovely interview.

Thank you, Crazyaboutmika for the translation.

Thank you,Anne, for the translation! :huglove:

Love,love

me

That is also my point of view :thumb_yello:

Thanks so much my sweet friend :huglove::huglove:

Thank you, Anne! :huglove:

Love,love

me

I love what you said :wink2:

No one wants or expects Mika to never change. It is the direction he has changed to that is what some object to. If Nelson Mandela had become an oppressive dictator or Gandhi had taken up arms to fight or Michael Moore opened up a sweat shop or Meryl Streep started making porn no one would say "Well people change and evolve. Good for them."

When you admire someone for the principles they espouse and they stop practising them and in fact start doing the opposite of what you admired them for t is disappointing. It has nothing to do with not wanting a person to grow and evolve in a positive direction.

No one wants or expects Mika to never change. It is the direction he has changed to that is what some object to. If Nelson Mandela had become an oppressive dictator or Gandhi had taken up arms to fight or Michael Moore opened up a sweat shop or Meryl Streep started making porn no one would say "Well people change and evolve. Good for them."

When you admire someone for the principles they espouse and they stop practising them and in fact start doing the opposite of what you admired them for t is disappointing. It has nothing to do with not wanting a person to grow and evolve in a positive direction.

:hug: