MIKA in Naples (Nutella's 50th Anniversary): 18 May 2014

dcdeb

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's sensible to be careful in every foreign city and I always try to avoid walking alone night time after gigs. Well, it's not always possible though and once I got a lift from a kind police who thought I shouldn't walk alone! I will never forget the face of the hotel owner when he came to open the gate and saw me coming by a police car, lol! :naughty:

I'm definitely going to be careful with my bag as my wallet was stolen in Milan (absolutely my own fault, I was kind of offering it keeping it openly in my pocket, I wasn't thinking :doh:) but it's hard to believe Naples could be that dangerous for real? I mean I will arrive to the airport and stay at a hotel literally next to the venue and my hotel already informed they can book a transportation from and to the airport at a fixed price if needed (probably a bit expensive but at least it's fixed and I know in advance how much it is). Something can always happen but that's what travel insurances are for.

However, I will definitely feel more comfortable with the other MFCers than alone so hope to meet you all there (maybe already on Sat?)!

Edited by tiibet

However, I will definitely feel more comfortable with the other MFCers than alone so hope to meet you all there (maybe already on Sat?)!

:aah: you are a troublemaker, aren't you?

I think you will be safe, don't worry, if your hotel is that close to the venue you won't even have to walk around. My hotel isn't close but I trust we'll walk in a cattle :naughty:

I'll be there on Saturday as well.

It's sensible to be careful in every foreign city and I always try to avoid walking alone night time after gigs. Well, it's not always possible though and once I got a lift from a kind police who thought I shouldn't walk alone! I will never forget the face of the hotel owner when he came to open the gate and saw me coming by a police car, lol! :naughty:

I'm definitely going to be careful with my bag as my wallet was stolen in Milan (absolutely my own fault, I was kind of offering it keeping it openly in my pocket, I wasn't thinking :doh:) but it's hard to believe Naples could be that dangerous for real? I mean I will arrive to the airport and stay at a hotel literally next to the venue and my hotel already informed they can book a transportation from and to the airport at a fixed price if needed (probably a bit expensive but at least it's fixed and I know in advance how much it is). Something can always happen but that's what travel insurances are for.

Yes this way is safe, just dont do sightseeing alone, ok :)?

Yes, some of us will arrive saturday (but late, if I remember right at 8:30 PM at the airport). I dont know if I'll arrive saturday or just early on sunday. But if you want Nina you can PM me and tell me where you'll stay so we can work something out with the other fans :)

this is quite alarming, but I won't trust them a lot if I were you.

They say the concert might not happen, because Art authorities might not give permission to use the Piazza for commercial activities. In the perfect Italian way, you are told to wait until the holidays are over (next monday) to know. :naughty:

They say the concert might not happen, because Art authorities might not give permission to use the Piazza for commercial activities.

Why don't the authorities worry about the armed robbery etc. instead of someone using the square for commercial purposes :rolls_eyes:

Why don't the authorities worry about the armed robbery etc. instead of someone using the square for commercial purposes :rolls_eyes:

maybe the organizers just haven't paid enough to the mafia yet to get the final ok. :mf_rosetinted: i've never been to naples, but i've always known it as *the* mafia city of (mainland) italy. dunno where i got that from, it's probably just one of the things you hear from people - and well, whether it's the mafia or not, from what i read here it's definitely organized crime. i think naples would be fascinating to visit, but i'd only dare to with a group - for example with mfcers, if there's a mika gig. :teehee: shame i can't go this time, but who knows maybe there'll be another chance in the future. :thumb_yello:

It takes probably 10 seconds or so to stop the concert: just the time to sign a letter saying "the concert can't take place here".

Stopping the robberies... it requires a long and deep education work above all, because to cut a long story short robberies are not always linked to the robbers' actual state of need, they are often the sign that loads of people do not recognize common laws and authorities. Italy is still a young nation from an historical point of view, 164 years have not been enough to eradicate thefts, robberies and criminal organizations but you can also say that no one really wanted to.

Anyway I live in Northern Italy and we also have our public safety issues.

And then there's the "commercial use" aspect: most of our monuments are state property, i.e. they are not meant to be sold or hired for profit purposes. In this case someone thinks that Nutella (or better Ferrero, the firm which sells Nutella and other chocolate stuff) will have a bigger profit using Piazza del Plebiscito and not another venue (let's say a stadium).

This is quite stupid, imo, because as you all have seen Naples has an horrific reputation as a town and this gig is a good chance to let people know it's a beatiful town, it deserves to be visited and it's not necessarily a dangerous place

maybe the organizers just haven't paid enough to the mafia yet to get the final ok. :mf_rosetinted: i've never been to naples, but i've always known it as *the* mafia city of (mainland) italy. dunno where i got that from, it's probably just one of the things you hear from people - and well, whether it's the mafia or not, from what i read here it's definitely organized crime. i think naples would be fascinating to visit, but i'd only dare to with a group - for example with mfcers, if there's a mika gig. :teehee: shame i can't go this time, but who knows maybe there'll be another chance in the future. :thumb_yello:

Unfortunately "mafia" is not the only criminal organization in Italy. Mafia is based in Sicily, while "camorra" is based in Naples (but we have even more, if someone wants more details we can add an Italian culture section to the new "learning italian" thread!), so what you say is not wrong.

I wouldn't visit Naples on my own, but I wouldn't be scared to do it with a group of people (also other mfcers, when there's a proper Mika gig!)

:blink: I've never been there but I always thought Naples must be a beautiful town. Isn't there this saying "see Naples first and then die"? Or is this just a Dutch saying?

No, I always heard that saying, too, mostly from my grandmother's family, which was originally from a small town on the Amalfi coast. It was very scenic, to be sure, but as I said before, we were worried about our safety there, and spent very little time actually IN Naples -- took daytrips from there to Amalfi, Capri, etc. Still, I would love to be going there again for this concert -- I know that MFCers will take care of each other, and as they say, there's safety in numbers! So stick together and enjoy Mika! :thumb_yello:

Stopping the robberies... it requires a long and deep education work above all, because to cut a long story short robberies are not always linked to the robbers' actual state of need, they are often the sign that loads of people do not recognize common laws and authorities. Italy is still a young nation from an historical point of view, 164 years have not been enough to eradicate thefts, robberies and criminal organizations

it doesn't take 164 years. It doesn't even take 10 years. New York cleaned up crime in the city in the 1990s as soon as they elected a mayor determined to clean it up.

but you can also say that no one really wanted to.

That is the only reason.

No, I always heard that saying, too, mostly from my grandmother's family, which was originally from a small town on the Amalfi coast. It was very scenic, to be sure, but as I said before, we were worried about our safety there, and spent very little time actually IN Naples -- took daytrips from there to Amalfi, Capri, etc. Still, I would love to be going there again for this concert -- I know that MFCers will take care of each other, and as they say, there's safety in numbers! So stick together and enjoy Mika! :thumb_yello:

I would love to go too but unfortunately I still don't feel comfortable in crowds since I had the embolism ... I need air to breath. :aah:

But I'm sure that MFCers will take care of each other ... that's one thing I like so much about MFC ... MFCers care about each other. :thumb_yello:

it doesn't take 164 years. It doesn't even take 10 years. New York cleaned up crime in the city in the 1990s as soon as they elected a mayor determined to clean it up.

That is the only reason.

Although I do basically agree with you I reckon this can't be done before Nutella's 50th :naughty:

Now I really hope some moron won't prevent thousands of people to have some fun only because he wants to show the whole world how powerful he is...

I was in Naples looooong time ago for one day and they told us before we went out of the bus to take care about our bags, take off any visible jewelry, avoid small alleys, watch out for the boys on motorcycles cause they can take off the bag from our shoulder and they are specially picking the tourists and so on. Still the same? :blink: Nothing bad happened to us but that sounded scary.

I went there too in the camping car with family and apart from paying twice the car park :sneaky2: the rest was ok but paying twice for a parking spot didn't make my husband happy so he drove straight back to France after that :aah:

But we went back to Italy later :wub2: but not to Napoli however :no:

Here's the solution, guys.

You're welcome. :mf_rosetinted:

scaphandre2.jpg

:lmfao:

It won't affect you that much, a fierce Mikafan can dance with any outfit.

Of course :fisch:

Have fun everyone who's going. :thumb_yello:

Yes I came here to tell all of those who are going to have a ball too :thumb_yello:

:blink: I've never been there but I always thought Naples must be a beautiful town. Isn't there this saying "see Naples first and then die"? Or is this just a Dutch saying?

We say that in France too :teehee:

I'm just really happy there will be a Mika gig soon :woot_jump: even though I can't go but still it's very good news :wub2:

Although I do basically agree with you I reckon this can't be done before Nutella's 50th :naughty:

Indeed. :naughty: I was not suggesting they clean it up in time for the gig, but that maybe they have bigger things to worry about than blocking a concert that will generate revenue for the city. In other words if they don't care about this out of control crime why are they bothered about this?

I'm just really happy there will be a Mika gig soon :woot_jump: even though I can't go but still it's very good news :wub2:

We can't go but we can enjoy the reports, pics and vids later. I'm already looking forward to that. :wub2:

Christine, you amaze me....don't you know this is NOT a rational civilized country?!? :naughty:

'vedi Napoli e poi muori', yes we've got the same :naughty: