NEW VIDEO! Talk About You

dcdeb

The music industry has changed since MIKA entered it in 2007. It's not very easy to earn a lot of money, by selling records, anymore. The artists need to find other arenas to get their money, and it's totally normal to get sponsors! Imo, MIKA has become more of a business man the last years :wink2: He knows his market value, and he uses it. What's wrong with that?! I think most of the artists, both in the music industry and the sports market, do the same, if they get the right opportunity - and I don't think they loose their artistic integrity because of that!! It's the product they deliver that counts, if it's music albums, concerts or sporty results! :) When it comes to the car in the video, I think it's wise to use a BMW i3, because it's an electric one, good for the environment. I think MIKA would be more kind to the streets of London, by driving such a little genious, than the old one he has used since he got his lisence :naughty:

Anyway - what counts to me, is that MIKA continues to make good music, and it really looks like he does! :yes: I'm very excited to get a full album 15th June... :fisch::wub:

Love,love

me

Pretty much sums up what I think!

The music industry has changed since MIKA entered it in 2007.  It's not very easy to earn a lot of money, by selling records, anymore.  The artists need to find other arenas to get their money, and it's totally normal to get sponsors!  Imo, MIKA has become more of a business man the last years :wink2:   He knows his market value, and he uses it.   What's wrong with that?!  I think most of the artists, both in the music industry and the sports market,  do the same, if they get the right opportunity -  and I don't think they loose their artistic integrity because of that!!  It's the product they deliver that counts, if it's music albums, concerts or sporty results! :)   When it comes to the car in the video, I think it's wise to use a BMW i3, because it's an electric one, good for the environment.  I think MIKA would be more kind to the streets of London, by driving such a little genious, than the old one he has used since he got his lisence :naughty:  

Anyway - what counts to me,  is that MIKA continues to make good music, and it really looks like he does! :yes:   I'm very excited to get a full album 15th June... :fisch:  :wub:

Love,love

me 

Indeed. Any artist that wants to be big right now is commercial. They do commercials and use product placement, I'm afraid that it's just the way that the music industry has changed over the years. It changes fast, this is indeed something that can come up in five years. In 2007, product placement wasn't big. Now, everyone does it. Yes, it's to get money, but it's also to get known. Those companies can now mention his music, his video, and distribute it to their audiences.

At least it's not like Avril Lavigne, who started her video for Rock 'n Roll with: "Oh, my new Sony phone is ringing," while continuing to pull it out of a glass of water to demonstrate how water-proof that phone is.

By the way, I don't understand how he suddenly lost his 'artistic integrity' either.

Edited by Manon14
  • Like 2

The music industry has changed since MIKA entered it in 2007.  It's not very easy to earn a lot of money, by selling records, anymore.  The artists need to find other arenas to get their money, and it's totally normal to get sponsors!  Imo, MIKA has become more of a business man the last years :wink2:   He knows his market value, and he uses it.   What's wrong with that?!  I think most of the artists, both in the music industry and the sports market,  do the same, if they get the right opportunity -  and I don't think they loose their artistic integrity because of that!!  It's the product they deliver that counts, if it's music albums, concerts or sporty results! :)   When it comes to the car in the video, I think it's wise to use a BMW i3, because it's an electric one, good for the environment.  I think MIKA would be more kind to the streets of London, by driving such a little genious, than the old one he has used since he got his lisence :naughty:  

Anyway - what counts to me,  is that MIKA continues to make good music, and it really looks like he does! :yes:   I'm very excited to get a full album 15th June... :fisch:  :wub:

Love,love

me 

I didn't know it's an electric car. Thanks for telling :thumb_yello: I know very little about cars.

I wish everything in this world was less commercial. Good quality acoustic recordings would be enough for me. Those are the ones I usually later watch. I rarely watch music videos after they are introduced. But I can live with product placement, I'm just happy he is back and making music  :wub: And I like the colorful houses a lot. Very much his style. 

Not everyone is doing it. And the ones who are are doing it to become obscenely wealthy and not just to finance their albums - Calvin Harris is now reportedly worth £70 million. Does he really need to keep flogging Armani underwear for any other reason than to amass an even greater fortune? He has been paid $1 million a night just to DJ. Why does he need corporate sponsorship to keep working as a musician/producer/DJ? He already has enough money to do what he wants every day for the rest of 5 lifetimes.

But keep telling yourselves it's some kind of necessary evil and keep on believing that it's the music industry's or a record company's fault that TAY is not even in the top 100 in France. Keep on blaming lack of promotion even though Mika's been on TV for hours every week in front of millions of people and really couldn't ask for more exposure to French pop music fans for himself and this song.

Blurred Lines made $16.5 million in PROFIT alone. Now try to imagine what people like Adele and Ed Sheeran and Sam Smith are making when they have albums and not just one single. Successful music makes plenty of money, unsuccessful music doesn't. Nothing has changed much in that respect.

The key here is "for whatever reason". The reason is money and I don't accept this nonsense about how he needs to do this in order to make music and tour. It's not true. I don't care how he lives his life, I just don't accept the propaganda.

That's what he said though. Why are you saying it's not true?

I don't believe that - at all. I don't believe that sticking a BMW so obviously and incongruously into his video is what he wants. There is no independence or artistic freedom to be gained from taking money from a corporation that sells cars instead of a corporation that sells albums.

Anyway it doesn't matter. He is free to take money for ruining his videos and I am free not to watch them.

Of course he has to compromise, but maybe he just chose what was the lesser evil to him

KT Auleta uploaded her film "Talk About You" to VIMEO.

You can download the file.

I can't if I click here, but I can on vimeo :biggrin2:

Thank you so much Eriko :huglove::flowers2:

Edited by crazyaboutmika

Of course he has to compromise, but maybe he just chose what was the lesser evil to him

Artistic integrity is a heavy expression but when you compromise to a point that the artistic result is not as you'd like it to be, then I guess you could say that you (partly) lost your integrity. So it all depends on Mika's own feeling about the video. I have no idea what he really thinks about it. I remember he twittered that he was happy about it just after the recordings. To me that's hard to believe but that's very subjective and based on the mere fact that I myself am not at all impressed or moved by the result.

Since he used to make things that I love and that were different and since the commercial influence is pretty obvious in this video, in a way I'd rather like to think that for some reason (money? lack of focus?) he compromised too much. If not, then I have to accept that his present artistic ideas are not what I like and I'm a bit sad about that. I was very happy when I discovered Mika and I had a wonderful time the last few months listening to his earlier songs and watching all the clips here at MFC. But I can't be enthousiastic about his new songs and video's. I miss something but it's hard to explain what it is. I could use words like originality or sincerity or intensity but in the end it's just my feeling and nothing more than that.

Edited by Pascale

That's what he said though. Why are you saying it's not true?

Because other singers who have sold less albums than Mika has do not need to do it. I don't know what more evidence is required to demonstrate that it is not necessary to turn your work into an advert for cars and watches in order to make an album and go on tour than the fact that other people are making albums and touring all the time without making car ads. :dunno:

I don't even see any reason to believe that Mika has gained independence from his record company in all of this because they seemed as involved as ever while he was making the album to me. Why did he have to meet with them, play them the record, etc. if they are not supporting or no longer have any say in it?

Is Mika really so hard done by where his record company is concerned compared to other artists? Is Sia selling more music than Mika for no other reason than that she gets better treatment from her record company? Or could it possibly be because she moved to the US several years ago to focus full time on breaking the US market, that she didn't get held back by her own ego and agreed to feature on the records of artists more popular than her to get exposure on radio instead of bad reality TV, that she has written a brilliant record, that she made one of the most interesting videos of the year, that she refuses to use her own face to sell her music, muchless random products?

The problem with Mika is maybe that he's less commercial, as he's always said, because his music is peculiar. I don't know about other artists, but circumstances may be different. Maybe he's happy with the career he has, why not? He's done product placement before, from BBB to Popular and as far as I can remember it was no big deal, so I guess the real problem this time is that it was so badly done that you can't turn a blind eye to it. But Last Party video left (almost) everyone enthusiastic, many people are saying they like his new music, so it's not as if he's screwing it all up. He can make good things and even make one bad thing in the process. He's human after all, he's not perfect.

• Like 2

I love the new vid and I guess we will see the set on stage foor the new tour

But I hate the second commercial... The car is really too much...

I'm not sure he needs that money :(

The problem with Mika is maybe that he's less commercial, as he's always said, because his music is peculiar.

The problem is the music is not good enough anymore. Nothing was more "peculiar" than Life in Cartoon Motion and yet it was extremely successful in the UK and France. The new music is not. Again I am not sure what more evidence one needs that people don't like it than that they are not buying it. You can't blame the general decline of record sales because chart positions are relative and not based on absolute numbers - if people in France loved this song it would be high in the charts whether that means selling 5000 copies or 5 million copies. You can't blame lack of exposure because he has been in front of 8 million viewers on the Voice for two years.

You can't survey a small group of hardcore fans on MFC or social media and determine people like the music. Especially since the community desperately and aggressively tries to censor and drive out so-called negative opinions. The proof is in the record sales. And I, for one, will not be buying this song or anything else I've heard yet on this album with the exception of Last Party.

Does Mika care? Is he happy with what he's doing? I don't know. But I am just tired of hearing that he is not responsible for the consequences of his artistic and business choices and it's always someone else's fault.

I'm so not saying he's not responsible for the consequences of his choices, I'm just saying that he turns to sponsors to get money exactly because he's not selling well anymore. I don't need proofs, I get your point. His music's not good enough anymore? Okay, but clearly that's the kind of music he wants to make, as I said, if that's what makes him happy, why not. Then, if people like it, they'll buy it, if not they won't. I just don't think he makes music to please others, he makes it for himself and if it doesn't sell well, he finds other ways to get the money he needs to keep going

• Like 5

christine, without commenting on your general point, but imo "good enough" music is just a point of view, not a fact that can be measured in record sales. with all that rubbish that gets on the charts, i seriously doubt whether charts success / record sales has anything to do with how good or bad music is. ;)

• Like 5

I'm so not saying he's not responsible for the consequences of his choices, I'm just saying that he turns to sponsors to get money exactly because he's not selling well anymore. I don't need proofs, I get your point. His music's not good enough anymore? Okay, but clearly that's the kind of music he wants to make, as I said, if that's what makes him happy, why not. Then, if people like it, they'll buy it, if not they won't. I just don't think he makes music to please others, he makes it for himself and if it doesn't sell well, he finds other ways to get the money he needs to keep going

This is like some kind of homeopathic recipe - doing exactly the things that will degrade his art and call into question his credibility as a songwriter and a musician. It is not a solution, it just drives away the people who were still supporting his music before the sell-out. Is Talk About You something he made to please himself? I find that difficult to believe. I think he was hoping for a hit song which is why he chose not to bin it even though he's forced to give 7 other people credit for writing it.

christine, without commenting on your general point, but imo "good enough" music is just a point of view, not a fact that can be measured in record sales. with all that rubbish that gets on the charts, i seriously doubt whether charts success / record sales has anything to do with how good or bad music is. ;)

I said it was a measure of whether people like it or not. It's only my opinion that it's not good enough but if people liked it they would buy it. I don't think there's any debating that point :dunno:

I don't mind the watch or the car but for God's sake, burn the suits! I liked the part of him wearing normal clothes best.

:yeah:

I love the idea of that video! I think it's fun, different, colrful. :) But I also agree about the commercial thing... It doesn't fit in the video. And I miss a bit of jumping and crazyness  :dunno:  But apart from that, I think it's good  :wink2:  It made me smile while watching it  :thumb_yello:

Is Talk About You something he made to please himself? I find that difficult to believe. I think he was hoping for a hit song

We don't know that and I think we will never know. It could very well be that he's extremely happy with the song. He certainly looked happy and proud when he talked about it in the Voice documentary.

I find that difficult to believe as well but that's because I find it hard to accept that someone that has made music that I find great, now makes music that I find very mediocre. By the way I feel very hesitant saying such things here not because people are censoring me or driving me out (not yet!!) but because I feel like I'm spoiling other peoples pleasure. For longtime fans as yourself, it's different of course but being a new member I don't feel at place when I'm too negative. It is a Mika fanclub and not a Mika criticclub. Yet until now I'm staying and I write posts because I love thinking and talking and reading about Mika and I find it very interesting how he is developing. And as I said I'm still a fan of his personality (and a huge fan of his older music)

• Like 1

The whole video is amazing, I like it.

The greatest part in this Video is the choreography with the umbrellas, is fantastic. It makes me remember the live performance of "I see you". a little bit.

We don't know that and I think we will never know. It could very well be that he's extremely happy with the song. He certainly looked happy and proud when he talked about it in the Voice documentary.

I find that difficult to believe as well but that's because I find it hard to accept that someone that has made music that I find great, now makes music that I find very mediocre. By the way I feel very hesitant saying such things here not because people are censoring me or driving me out (not yet!!) but because I feel like I'm spoiling other peoples pleasure. For longtime fans as yourself, it's different of course but being a new member I don't feel at place when I'm too negative. It is a Mika fanclub and not a Mika criticclub. Yet until now I'm staying and I write posts because I love thinking and talking and reading about Mika and I find it very interesting how he is developing. And as I said I'm still a fan of his personality (and a huge fan of his older music)

Personally, I think Mika is like a mini-wheat... he has a very sweet side, like the one he displays in Talk about you, and a very dry one, like with Last party. I like both of his sides, but I prefer the dry one.

Still, I enjoy this song and this video and I hope it will get the exposure it deserves.

• Like 2

I like the video. Watching Mika singing almost makes me forget that I don't like the song!

I'm not shocked by the Valentino suits, they are part of the character now and I think he's cute wearing that. 

I'm looking forward to my first gig! 

Exactly. Very interesting point. Why does he (feel the) need to do this? He must have more money now then when Grace Kelly was made and that video was simple but gorgeous without any commercial "extra's". I don't understand it. Is he afraid to end poor and forgotten and therefore saving all he can now? He said he was very happy with the video. Does that really include the car scene?

I'm just not very upset about it because I've only discovered Mika at the end of last year. My feelings about him have been sudden and intense but they are relatively new and therefore not so deep. So there's only light disappointment but no indignation.

I just can't figure out how it's possible that he is so happy with the music and video's that he is making at the moment. I can understand that after all those heavy years of touring, writing and promoting his records, he needed a break and change. He obviously enjoys participating in the tv shows and he seems to love coaching other singers. I watched all the recent Voice episodes and found him endearing and very kind. If he wants that now instead of concentrating on writing more interesting music, i'm perfectly okay with that. And if he likes wearing Valentino suits and going to fashion shows with his designer friends, I wish him many happy events (as if he cares what I think about it anyway). Anyway he seems more relaxed and happy then when he was younger (not in his tv singing performances though, i miss the joy and intensity of earlier years).

But i don't quite get his artistic choices at the moment. In my opinion, they are as far away from his first two cd's as his present movements from his former explosive dancing. However, although his new style is not my cup of tea and promoting cars and watches isn't the change I was hoping for, I still like the fact that he is changing and not running around forever in his old cloths or curls. So I'm very curious to find out what Mika will be like in about 5 (or 10 or 15) years. And I'm looking forward to my first Mika concert even if he will be wearing a Valentino suit.

That's well said. I was around in 2007 and to be honest, Mika was big in the UK, but he was not always well respected. He was, "that camp Grace Kelly singer". I don't think many people thought he'd really last the distance. They were more concerned about his sexuality than his great music. So though we may think that Mikaworld was better then, it did have it's drawbacks.

I prefer the Last Party and Popular Song videos, to the TAY video, but putting aside whether we like the placement of the watch and car, or the suits, It doesn't matter as much as the song being a hit.

Also, to be honest, I never really bought into the musician who would sooner be poor, or not appeal to to many people, rather than become more commercial. That used to actually get on my nerves because I wanted Mika to be as big and long-lasting as other popstars, like Gary Barlow. I did not want him to disappear, or just be known to just a few fans worldwide. I wanted world domination, and I still do. So if that meant going on reality shows or doing something else to achieve that goal, I was all for it (of course I would have preferred him to do it in the UK or the US)

His choices may not always be our cup of tea, but it's his decision. All I hope is that it pays off for him and gets him back in the UK, and world charts where he belongs.

I also think that it's a good idea, using the scenery from the TAY video in the tour. It links it all in together, and explains, to me anyway, why he used the cut outs of the buildings on his video.

So I'm okay with what he's doing. I hope it works out for him and his fans, especially the UK ones.