2020: I Love Beirut, live stream concert, 19 Sept - REVIEWS

TinyLove_CJ

Listening to Danna’s and Mika’s cover of “It must have been love”. It’s like a warm hug from afar. A warm hug from Mika!

The emotional response I’m reading on here from everyone is enormous. And you are all right, what Mika wanted to achieve was exactly that. Empathy and awareness through beautiful music and collaborations. And a connection, not only with the people of Beirut, but with everyone of us as individuals. 

• Like 10

On 9/20/2020 at 3:39 PM, TinyLove_CJ said:

I've never heard of Laura Pausini before but her song at the colosseum was beautiful and it's certainly got me looking more into her music.

She is one of the greatest voices in the world imo and seeing the Colosseum at night feeling with her voice was absolutely stunning, such a perfect set :wub2:  

On 9/20/2020 at 3:39 PM, TinyLove_CJ said:

Origin of Love really made me feel the love, did you all see the message "I thank him very much" at the bottom of the screen? And the way Mika looked so intensely at the camera, I'm sure Andy was there.

LOL, that was an editing error, it was a part of the subtitle from the story of Michele Homsy :wink2: ( but your view is nice :teehee:)   Probably because they have been in a rush in the last minute and overlooked it:

Screenshot (89).png

Screenshot (90).png

• Like 3

14 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Listening to Danna’s and Mika’s cover of “It must have been love”. It’s like a warm hug from afar. A warm hug from Mika!

It was amazing. It made me realize once again that Mika's voice fits pefectly into a ballad  :cloud:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, krysady said:

LOL, that was an editing error, it was a part of the subtitle from the story of Michele Homsy :wink2: ( but your view is nice :teehee:)   Probably because they have been in a rush in the last minute and overlooked it:

Screenshot (89).png

Oh I loved this! Obviously it was an editing error but such a cute little mistake, I think. The beginning of the show was extremely emotional and this made me smile. Precious. 

The intro before the music started was incredibly poetic, he had the audience and everyone’s attention from the very start. His feelings towards this city were so clear and I got the feeling it’s good for him to embrace his Lebanese roots, it seems so important to him. 

I felt empathy for those people so strongly and I guess that was the biggest purpose of the night, to understand what the city is going through. I was also impressed by the way he did it, how elegant it all was, there was beauty in every meaningful detail, and how with all those stunning guests Mika was still the biggest star. It was totally his night.  So proud of him and his team. 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, tiibet said:

Obviously it was an editing error but such a cute little mistake, I think

It's funny, but you'd be surprised to know how many people on Twitter thought first that it was for real a message related to Andy and not a mistake :aah:  

Edited by krysady
  • Like 1

On 9/21/2020 at 8:37 PM, Starlight said:

I'm still overwhelmed and left speechless by this wonderful performance that Mika brought to us all. :wub2: My favourite part was definitely Promiseland and I don't think that I would change my mind again. :biggrin2:

I have noone favorite. All the songs, performances and andexperiences were amazing. It was a magical and touching gig. 💜💜

Edited by Mikasister
  • Like 2

On 9/22/2020 at 7:18 PM, krysady said:

It's funny, but you'd be surprised to know how many people on Twitter thought first that it was for real a message related to Andy and not a mistake :aah:  

I actually first thought it was some comment that had just been posted and youtube was showing it in the video for some reason. :teehee: When watching it for the 2nd time I didn't notice it, guess I was distracted that moment. When I read the report here in the first post, I believed that it was by Andy, shame it isn't... tho who knows - tbh I believe more that this was on purpose than that the open zipper during Ice Cream was accidental. :mf_rosetinted:

And that gets me to my report about the gig. I liked the start with Origin. Happy Ending made me cry for the first time, really beautiful. :wub2: AOW was awesome and shocking at the same time, with the videos - I wish he released that as a single and made a musicvideo out of that performance & little film. Tiny Love... it's my fave Mika song and him at the Grand Piano reminded me of the atmosphere during that song at the gigs, with the pink piano rising up, and our different fanactions for it, so I got very emotional when watching this for the first time, the longing for being at an actual gig gave me almost physical pain in that moment. :emot-sad: More crying for the story of the woman in Beirut (was it at that point? Not sure...), but at least then I was able to relax for a bit, as the Rufus Wainwright and Fanny Ardent parts didn't appeal to me. Also not when watching for the 2nd time. When I fist watched, I enjoyed these bits as a possibility to breathe and calm down, the 2nd time I tried to pay more attention and well, I guess I can say that it was "interesting". :teehee: Underwater was beautiful, I noticed that in the beginning the keyboarder played a wrong note and Mika changed the lyrics again (or forgot them) - and the backdrop of the theatre came up, I wonder whether this picture had been designed by them as well or if it was something from the theatre, but I suppose the latter. Anyway I enjoyed that. Then I think it was the story about the Mother and her boy? He was so cool about it, so what this story did for me was show the resilience of the Lebanese people - also that the video showed how life was continuing for them after the explosions, that they sorted their belongings, just like "life goes on", I liked that.

Mika and Danna Paola, Me Myself was nice, tho I had the impression that much of Mika's part (dunno about Danna as I haven't heard her sing that often) was playback from the original song, that bothered me a bit. But well it's a new song and he had so much to do to prepare that gig, he did really well for that. :thumb_yello: The Roxette cover was the biggest surprise for me, and along with AOW my favourite part of this concert. :wub2: It also made me cry, both times I watched the gig, because for some reason the lyrics made me think of Mika walking through the crowd during Big Girl on his tour, and all the love we all felt at those gigs, and I related the "it must've been love but it's over now, it was all that I wanted, now I'm living without" to that. I know all the lyrics to that song by heart, I've listened to it and sung it myself so many times in the past, and although in many cases I prefer the original version to the cover version, in this case I like Mika's & Danna's version better, I love what they did with it musically. A different vibe from the original, but so beautiful. :swoon: "But in and outside I turned to water, like a teardrop in your palm". :crybaby::crybaby:

Relax was good, as always, but it has never been one of my fave song at the gigs, so I guess i wouldn't have missed it either. ;) 

Promiseland, that was an interesting version and after listening to it a few times, I like it more and more and the part with the Arabic music got stuck in my head. The first time disappointed me a bit, because I've always loved that energetic instrumental part that has now been replaced by Arabic music, the sound of which is something I have to get used to. Also I missed the energy I'm used to from this song in the parts sung by the Mashrou Leila singer. The atmosphere with the candles and how they did it with the projections on the walls was beautiful though - so it's not like I didn't like it, but as I said before, if all I want while watching is to be at an actual Mika gig, it's no surprise that anything that disturbs my gig memories bothers me in some way at first. I still prefer the original version of Promiseland (even if I'm the only one), but I agree with everyone who says it should be released as a single, because anything that gets this song more attention is good! :wub2:

Only when I watched for the 2nd time, I could concentrate on what Etel Adnan was saying, and I liked that part.

Lollipop made me smile. It reminded me a lot of Casa Mika, with the choreographed performance and the little acting bit at the beginning. :wub2: I think somewhere around that time it was also the story of Baby George, and I had to laugh so much at the baby's reaction to the question whether they'd be going to see Mika one day, that was so cute! :lol3:

I liked Kylie as well, and I loved that Mika played Ice Cream, that one reminded me of the gigs in a positive way. Just that part about the zipper, as I said, I don't believe him that, and actually it bothered me that he pretended something like that, just because he knows many of his fans like it. It feels fake that way, and that's the last thing I want to see from Mika, anything that's fake. I got used to him acting on Casa Mika and for commercials and things like that where I can say, ok, that's part of the job, but this... well. Maybe I'm wrong and it was true, but y'know, exactly for Ice Cream? VERY hard to believe... :dunno:

Of the rest of the gig I especially enjoyed EMD, most of all Mika's introduction to it... He always used to say "she tells me dance even if you're sad", that's also what the song says, so it made a huge difference that this time he said "she tells me cry if you're sad but smile if you're happy". And I love this turn he took there, it's more like the message of "Blue", it's ok to be sad. :huglove: This message that life has good and bad sides and it's ok to show how you feel about it, instead of just saying "dance even though you're sad" or "love only gets you down". I can agree with that a lot more.

Also I really enjoyed the song he did with Louane, the atmosphere there in Paris was beautiful, with the sparkling Eiffel tower and Sacre Coeur in the background, and the song was beautiful as well, tho I didn't understand the lyrics. I also liked Laura Pausini's song and was amazed by the lightshow they had put up in the coliseum - as Mika said within just 2 hours, that's incredible!

After watching the gig for the first time it felt a bit like the end of a real gig, the sadness that it's over, and knowing this time 100% sure that Mika won't come out to meet fans after the gig also made me sad again. Maybe he managed to make those fans he retweeted feel a little like they had met him, I don't know, maybe it'd have changed something for me too if I had been one of them (but as I said, I didn't tweet much anyway, so I certainly wasn't focused on that), but anyway, it felt like the amazing part of the evening was over - but as I said, the MFC live afterwards helped me a lot, it really felt like meeting other fans after the gig and chatting with them about the concert, as we often do after a real gig.

Anyway, did the gig provoke emotion, as Mika had intended? Absolutely, 100%! He did a fantastic job with it and I'm very glad that even though he hadn't planned to sing and perform during the pandemic, we got this treasure. I hope we can watch it again soon, on DVD or in some other way. :wub2:

Now sorry, that was long, but as I don't have any other gig reports to write from the last few or in the next few months, I had things to catch up. :lmfao:

• Like 8

10 hours ago, mellody said:

Also I really enjoyed the song he did with Louane, the atmosphere there in Paris was beautiful, with the sparkling Eiffel tower and Sacre Coeur in the background, and the song was beautiful as well, tho I didn't understand the lyrics. 

Louane's lyrics say

"Do you ear me ?

Do you see me ?

What would you say if you were here ?

Are you sending me some signs?

What would you say if you were here "

Obviously talking to a missing person , probably her parents as she lost both of them within a few months at a very young age ( I think she was 17 or smth like that)

I have to say that when we got the guests list I was very surprised by this choice as I didn't imagine that they are kindda friends (not the same generation ,the same music and Louane was in "The voice" 1 or 2 years before Mika started )

Now I think that he wanted this particular song to be in his show more than louane herself

Edited by carafon
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, mellody said:

Just that part about the zipper, as I said, I don't believe him that, and actually it bothered me that he pretended something like that, just because he knows many of his fans like it. It feels fake that way, and that's the last thing I want to see from Mika, anything that's fake. I got used to him acting on Casa Mika and for commercials and things like that where I can say, ok, that's part of the job, but this... well. Maybe I'm wrong and it was true, but y'know, exactly for Ice Cream? VERY hard to believe... :dunno:

Totally agree, it was the only moment I didn't like from the show. Also it was not the right place for that, given the purpose of this concert. I mean it's funny when happens during the live gigs, I enjoy a lot these kind of spontaneous moments, but here it was clearly not the case  :aah:

After re-watching the show for many times, the Roxette's cover still remains my favorite moment :wub2: 

• Like 4

On 9/26/2020 at 11:17 AM, krysady said:

Totally agree, it was the only moment I didn't like from the show. Also it was not the right place for that, given the purpose of this concert. I mean it's funny when happens during the live gigs, I enjoy a lot these kind of spontaneous moments, but here it was clearly not the case  :aah:

It was also the only part that left me a bit sceptical about the reason why ...🧐

I think that also the fact that there was no crowd doesn't help to make it "no fake " whatever it was or not 

I mean when it happens on a regular gig there is a connection with the audience and he can react on a proper way more easily.

With just him and the cameraman joking  ,made it  not totaly appropriate to me too in this context

On 9/25/2020 at 11:40 PM, mellody said:

Only when I watched for the 2nd time, I could concentrate on what Etel Adnan was saying, and I liked that part.

Am I the only one who was quite in chock when she used the word "barbarie" when talking about the explosion?

I mean , in French it's a word  more used in the case it's a terrorist  attack .....

May it be possible that she doesn't believe that it's an accident ?:dunno:

On 9/22/2020 at 1:42 PM, tiibet said:

Oh I loved this! Obviously it was an editing error but such a cute little mistake, I think. 

Hum... I still find quite strange that this only little bit of a long interview ended up on THIS particular song by chance ,and no one realized that there was an editing mistake  :naughty:

I loved the whole concert and especially the first half ( don't know why but it's also the same thing for every single gigs he did ...)

The venues were beautifull , I loved the stuff in the Toscanian theater so much....obviously the painting but also the carpets and the lights that made me think aboud the "underwater" video

I loved the intro very much and was so pleased to have "any other worl" back .Not only it's one of my favourite from LICM but it perfectly fits to the situation .

Promiseland was a highlight , I loved this new arrangements very much and also the place where it was filmed in Beirut and the guys outfits

I also appreciated that the testimonies were only the people speaking and no one asking questions

I felt like they were free to say only what they wanted , with no one trying to get more just to make it "sensational" 

Edited by carafon
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, carafon said:

Hum... I still find quite strange that this only little bit of a long interview ended up on THIS particular song by chance ,and no one realizing that there was an editing mistake  :naughty:

I know! And particularly everything else being so very carefully considered! Not sure I buy it that no one spotted the error ♥️ Whether it was there totally accidentally or left on purpose, I thought it was cute.

About the other little accident and the situation with the cameraman, it didn't bother me at all. It reminded me of gigs. There are always accidents or "accidents" or things that might have been accidents once but are later repeated simply because they are fun and offer suitable joking moments with the audience. It's a part of the show and I thought they wanted to add a little bit similar spirit. Not that easy when the actual audience is behind their screens. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, carafon said:

Am I the only one who was quite in chock when she used the word "barbarie" when talking about the explosion

I mean , in French it's a word  more used in the case it's a terrorist  attack .....

May it be possible that she doesn't belive that it's an accident ?:dunno:

I've been reading many articles saying that the main cause that was leading to this catastrophe have been the corruption of the authorities who knew that there's a dangerous chemical materials since 6 years ago and did nothing to solve the problem. They got countless warnings to remove the ammonium nitrate from the port because it was a life threatening matter, but ignored them, so many Lebanese blame the authorities for attack against the population.

1 hour ago, carafon said:

Hum... I still find quite strange that this only little bit of a long interview ended up on THIS particular song by chance ,and no one realizing that there was an editing mistake  :naughty:

He said in the french interview that they were a few minutes away to fail to upload the video on Youtube and been in a huge rush the last hours before the live stream. So I am more than sure that this was just an editing error given the circumstances, at least this is my impression   :original:

Edited by krysady
  • Like 2