82, rue des Martyrs (Karen) - Discussion

I am talking about me. My parents spoke "valenciano" at home when I was little, (among them, I mean, they spoke in spanish when they talked to me) so I learnt that language due to listen to it every day. And even though I can speak it fluently, it´s not my language, I tried to speak valenciano to my son when he was born, and I just couldn´t!!! :boxed: I felt it unnatural!!! I still use that language to talk to people who speaks that, but I think in Spanish and I can´t imagine talking in english to my son. Not even if I move to Mika´s bassement!! When you have kids you want the best for them, and thinking about it, if they are going to grow up in Paris, they will learn french, so, the most clever thing to do, is to speak to them in english, which is your mother tongue, and besides, it makes kids learn two languages at once.

I guess we will never know how were things in Mika´s childhood, but even if he would spoke french at home, he almost forgot it when he became an adult :aah:

Yes Rosa, that is exactly what I meant in my last post about the unnaturality of it. It just doesn't work, as anyone who's been in that situation can tell you.

The only other possibility is that you have a situation like what I had when I was small, where I was exposed to Spanish and Catalan equally for most of my life, which meant I was effectively bilingual. But even then, if I have to choose one mother tongue that I think in first, it's still reverting to Catalan. And let me tell you, my Spanish is a lot better than Mika's french :aah:

Actually, I just had a thought. If Mika had spoken French to his family whilst in Paris, it would mean that he was never speaking English (as he went to a French school, had local French friends, etc). How would one explain the fact that his English is his 'best' language now?

If he had been brought up mainly on French til the age of 8, he would have carried a deficit in his English later on. It's the opposite.

Anyway I think am done discussing this- my head hurts now :aah:

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:lmao:

Though I can try if da man insists :mf_rosetinted:

Yes Rosa, that is exactly what I meant in my last post about the unnaturality of it. It just doesn't work, as anyone who's been in that situation can tell you.

The only other possibility is that you have a situation like what I had when I was small, where I was exposed to Spanish and Catalan equally for most of my life, which meant I was effectively bilingual. But even then, if I have to choose one mother tongue that I think in first, it's still reverting to Catalan. And let me tell you, my Spanish is a lot better than Mika's french :aah:

Actually, I just had a thought. If Mika had spoken French to his family whilst in Paris, it would mean that he was never speaking English (as he went to a French school, had local French friends, etc). How would one explain the fact that his English is his 'best' language now?

If he had been brought up mainly on French til the age of 8, he would have carried a deficit in his English later on. It's the opposite.

Anyway I think am done discussing this- my head hurts now :aah:

more than that. If he was speaking french to his family, he COULDN´T speak english now with them. Impossible. :aah:

If Mika had spoken French to his family whilst in Paris, it would mean that he was never speaking English (as he went to a French school, had local French friends, etc). How would one explain the fact that his English is his 'best' language now?

Yes, I also think the fact that he has a quasi-American accent is testament that he learned English from his parents. Normally you adopt the accent of your peers, not your parents. But since his peers were French he would have adopted his parents' (American) accent. I've got some friends who are a South African couple living in Germany and their kids are fluent in German and speak English with a South African accent even though they have never lived in SA.

more than that. If he was speaking french to his family, he COULDN´T speak english now with them. Impossible. :aah:

I know, I think the same :wink2:

Yes, I also think the fact that he has a quasi-American accent is testament that he learned English from his parents. Normally you adopt the accent of your peers, not your parents. But since his peers were French he would have adopted his parents' (American) accent. I've got some friends who are a South African couple living in Germany and their kids are fluent in German and speak English with a South African accent even though they have never lived in SA.

Yep, it's usually (always?!) like that. When we lived in Holland, we spoke Spanish with a Spanish accent, but when we lived in Argentina we suddenly started speaking Spanish with an Argentinian accent. Of course our Catalan was still untouched, as we were not exposed to a different type of catalan...

Skipping over the language issue, since to me, an American who only

has had several weeks' instruction in French and knows only some very

basic phrases, Mika's French sounds perfect :wink2:

But just to get back to discussing this song itself for a minute --

I really like it a lot, and feel compelled to say so, since I just finished

writing about how much I DISLIKE Blame it on the Weather. :aah:

I thought the fact that the lyrics of this song

are in French would turn me off, like Elle Me Dit, but for some reason I

find that the French actually works for me here. I enjoy the storytelling

aspect, and I like the story that's told -- it's the sort of story we might

expect from Mika, not that he's predictable, but it's the tale of someone

who walks to the beat of her own drummer, and he often writes about

that sort of person. Musically, I like the way it builds gradually (although I

cringe every time I hear the strings do the Coldplay

bit :teehee: ) and the driving beat conveys some emotion to me without

going nuts. I think Mika's voice is perfect in this -- really showcases his

range, and I especially love every time he reaches, "Elle est leeeeeeeeeeeee

berrrrrrr, elle est leeeeeeeeeeeee berrrrrrrrrrrr..."

Yes, overall, "Karen" is a win for me, which is a relief since it means

I have at least one new Mika song that I can appreciate until the next

album. :thumb_yello:

Definitely agree with you! And I know what you mean with the ''expectable'' side of Meeks. He has thing way of bringing bits of everyday life and people's life into his songs in such an unique manner. And he's done this a couple times before already, thinking of "Good Gone Girl", "Holy Johnny", "Billy Brown" and other songs in which he basically discusses about those certain people's life with the help of music. Just like he said in one interview: tell them this and they will punch you; put it in a song and they'll listen to it and say you're talented :lmfao:

I agree, Karen is perfect as it is, in french.

Can anyone post a link about those coldplay sounds you all are meaning?? now I´m curious :aah:

I agree, Karen is perfect as it is, in french.

Can anyone post a link about those coldplay sounds you all are meaning?? now I´m curious :aah:

Well, the very first chords of "Viva la Vida" are kind of similar with those chord from "Karen" when the song picks up a little with those beats!

(I'm pretty sure you've heard this song before though :teehee:)

Well, the very first chords of "Viva la Vida" are kind of similar with those chord from "Karen" when the song picks up a little with those beats!

:jawdrop:

ZOMFG!!!!!!!!!!!

IT SOUNDS EXACTLY LIKE THAT SONG!!!!! :shocked::shocked:

And yes, I know the song :aah: (in fact I can sing it along :aah:) but I never knew who was singing or which was the tittle of it. Thank you very much!!!!

Mika... :wags_finger: no no no.... don´t steal other song´s bits!!! :sneaky2:

:swoon: it sounds better every time you see it

Please find the lyrics I've corrected

Karen a 20 ans, Karen a rien d'autre

Et le temps file déjà entre ses doigts,

Accoudée au bar, Rue des Martyrs, au 82, Karen fait son bilan.

Elle voudrait une vie meilleure, que ses frères et ses soeurs,

Qui sont rentrés dans les rangs

(Chorus)

Karen dit que Paris c'est grand, qu'une autre vie l'attend, elle dit qu'on n’l'achètera pas.

Karen mise encore sur le rouge de ses lèvres et elle bouge sans comprendre pourquoi.

(OR elle dit qu’elle vaut mieux qu’ça - Liège version)

Karen s'en fout elle est libre, elle est libre.

Karen dit qu'elle sera une star, couche avec des connards, elle dit qu'elle f’ra des envieux.

Karen trinque toujours à la votre, chante les chansons des autres.

Chante ses rêves et les nôtres.

Chante au Bistro 82.

Karen a 30 ans, mais elle n'a rien d'autre à faire, même pas des enfants, même pas la poussière.

Elle vit chez sa mère, juste à deux rues du 82, un jour l'amour est venu.

Il a frappé à sa porte, elle a crié qu'il sorte, moi j’ouvre pas aux inconnus.

(Chorus)

Karen dit que Paris c'est grand, qu'une autre vie l'attend, elle dit qu’on l’achètera pas.

Karen mise alors sur le rouge de ses lèvres et elle bouge elle dit qu'elle vaut mieux qu'ca.

Karen dit qu'elle sera une star, couche avec des connards, elle dit qu’elle f’ra des envieux.

Chante au Bistro 82.

Chante au Bistro 82.

Chante au Bistro 82.

Karen a 50 ans, pas d'alloc pas d'argent, elle fume et tousse sur un petit lit blanc.

Elle se dit qu'elle passera boire un verre, au 82, mais elle mourra juste avant

Sur son vieux matelas pourri, ce chien de ressort, qui lui rentre dans les flancs.

Karen dit que la vie c'est dur, va tout droit dans le mur, elle dit qu'on ne l'arrêtera pas.

Karen mise alors sur le noir, ferme les yeux et se barre, sans comprendre pourquoi,

Karen s'en va, elle est libre, elle est libre.

Elle est libre, elle est libre.

Karen dit qu'elle sera une star, couche avec des connards, elle dit qu’elle f’ra des envieux.

Chante au Bistro 82.

Chante au Bistro 82.

Chante au Bistro 82.

Edited by skiwi

:jawdrop:

ZOMFG!!!!!!!!!!!

IT SOUNDS EXACTLY LIKE THAT SONG!!!!! :shocked::shocked:

And yes, I know the song :aah: (in fact I can sing it along :aah:) but I never knew who was singing or which was the tittle of it. Thank you very much!!!!

Mika... :wags_finger: no no no.... don´t steal other song´s bits!!! :sneaky2:

Oh look what I found :shocked:

http://youtu.be/VX1eJHE1K_s

Mika even stole the outfit of the singer: the same coat and look at the golden metal he has on his pant (the same that Mika received in France when he became "chevalier des arts et des lettres" :roftl: :roftl:

Come on that's pop music it looks a little bit but the chords and the rythme are not exactly the same :aah::biggrin2:

Please find the lyrics I've corrected

Karen a 20 ans, Karen a rien d'autre

Et le temps file déjà entre ses doigts,

Accoudée au bar, Rue des Martyrs, au 82, Karen fait son bilan.

Elle voudrait une vie meilleure, que ses frères et ses soeurs,

Qui sont rentrés dans les rangs

(Chorus)

Karen dit que Paris c'est grand, qu'une autre vie l'attend, elle dit qu'on n’l'achètera pas.

Karen mise encore sur le rouge de ses lèvres et elle bouge sans comprendre pourquoi.

(OR elle dit qu’elle vaut mieux qu’ça - Liège version)

Karen dit qu'elle sera une star, couche avec des connards, elle dit qu'elle f’ra des envieux.

Chante au Bistro 82.

Karen a 30 ans, mais elle n'a rien d'autre à faire, même pas des enfants, même pas la poussière.

Elle vit chez sa mère, juste à deux rues du 82, un jour l'amour est venu.

Il a frappé à sa porte, elle a crié qu'il sorte, moi j’ouvre pas aux inconnus.

(Chorus)

Karen dit que Paris c'est grand, qu'une autre vie l'attend, elle dit qu’on l’achètera pas.

Karen mise alors sur le rouge de ses lèvres et elle bouge elle dit qu'elle vaut mieux qu'ca.

Chante au Bistro 82.

Chante au Bistro 82.

Chante au Bistro 82.

Karen a 50 ans, pas d'alloc pas d'argent, elle fume et tousse sur un petit lit blanc.

Elle se dit qu'elle passera boire un verre, au 82, mais elle mourra juste avant

Sur son vieux matelas pourri, ce chien de ressort, qui lui rentre dans les flancs.

Karen dit que la vie c'est dur, va tout droit dans le mur, elle dit qu'on ne l'arrêtera pas.

Karen mise alors sur le noir, ferme les yeux et se barre, sans comprendre pourquoi,

Karen s'en va, elle est libre, elle est libre.

Elle est libre, elle est libre.

Chante au Bistro 82.

Chante au Bistro 82.

Chante au Bistro 82.

This is my favorite part of this song:biggrin2:

:swoon: it sounds better every time you see it

:blink:You mean the Coldplay song? as that 's what Cherisse linked... :teehee:

that sort of person.

It is funny because for me it works in completely the opposite way but I do understand how you feel.

To me, EMD is a silly pop song that I do not need to understand - I can whistle along to it, listen to it any time and probably even chant "pourquoi tu gâches ta vie (x3) danse danse danse" at a gig like I chant "We are not who you think we are."..etc..

However, for the song Karen it does bother me that I don't understand the lyrics as it really is a story that I need to follow to fully appreciate the way he sings the verses. (I understand that's just me though :dunno:)

Musically, I like the way it builds gradually (although I cringe every time I hear the strings do the Coldplay

bit :teehee: )

The Coldplay bit does bother me a great deal, too. Someone around him should really tell him how far he can go 'recycling' other artists' hooks as one day he will get into trouble. Maybe not with this one but if every other person on MFC spotted that, I don't understand how none of the people he works with dared to tell him. :no:

Edited by suzie

:blink:You mean the Coldplay song? as that 's what Cherisse linked... :teehee:

It is funny because for me it works in completely the opposite way but I do understand how you feel.

To me, EMD is a silly pop song that I do not need to understand - I can whistle along to it, listen to it any time and probably even chant "pourquoi tu gâches ta vie (x3) danse danse danse" at a gig like I chant "We are not who you think we are."..etc..

However, for the song Karen it does bother me that I don't understand the lyrics as it really is a story that I need to follow to fully appreciate the way he sings the verses. (I understand that's just me though :dunno:)

The Coldplay bit does bother me a great deal, too. Someone around him should really tell him how far he can go 'recycling' other artists' hooks as one day he will get into trouble. Maybe not with this one but if every other person on MFC spotted that, I don't how understand none of the people he works with dared to tell him. :no:

that is the dark side of having a nice english :mf_rosetinted:

in my case,I don´t mind, since if I don´t search for the lyrics, I barely understand 20 or 30 words in a whole song :aah: :aah:

Yeah, I love that too, his voice gives me goosebumps there:mf_lustslow:

I absolutely love this song!:wub2: I was kind of obsessed with it:blush-anim-cl:

I like it :blush-anim-cl: Not brilliant. But good tune, good story (well the gist of it that I understand, very Mika in that sense), Love the fact that this song is called Karen.. it could've been Sandra, but it's Karen... absolutely love the fact that there's a Blue Eyes in last album & now Karen (Karin), even if he didn't mean it that way I'd like to think that it is that way :aah: even though both stories really have nothing to do with their lives. I kind a enjoy not understanding the lyrics at first listen and just concentrate on the sounds .. then play guessing game... on what it could be about & then finding out what it really means..

I like it :blush-anim-cl: Not brilliant. But good tune, good story (well the gist of it that I understand, very Mika in that sense), Love the fact that this song is called Karen.. it could've been Sandra, but it's Karen... absolutely love the fact that there's a Blue Eyes in last album & now Karen (Karin), even if he didn't mean it that way I'd like to think that it is that way :aah: even though both stories really have nothing to do with their lives. I kind a enjoy not understanding the lyrics at first listen and just concentrate on the sounds .. then play guessing game... on what it could be about & then finding out what it really means..

Your name is Karen?:mf_lustslow:

It's funny because I always thought that Viva La Vida sounded like Rain P Zombie Mix.

no, it was the other way round. :cool:

It was Coldplay's tune originally, although someone already sued them for stealing it from some guitarist.

no, it was the other way round. :cool:

It was Coldplay's tune originally, although someone already sued them for stealing it from some guitarist.

AAAAh yes :) That's what I meant :original: Oh yeh, I heard about that! I might research into it actually. :teehee:

No my dear. Karin is Mellody on MFC.

Sorry folks I forget we have more ppl in here these days and assumed everyone understood who I meant :boxed:

Karin is also Blue on MFC. Or rather, Blue is Karin :wink2: