MIKA as a judge at "THE VOICE" France 2014

Sweetieval

So I took some time to translate that radio interview:

Coach for The Voice with Jenifer, Garou, Florent Pagny... Do you have some pressure?

Pressure? Well, I don't know. How can I have pressure for something I've never done?

We often have pressure for things we haven't done, wondering if we'll measure up to the event...

For me it's the contrary, I always have a lot of pressure for things I have already done, because it means it has to be better, worse...

For an album for example?

For an album there's always a lot of pressure.

Your resolutions for 2014?

Not eating salt because I'm very deaf and the more I eat salt the more deaf I become.

Really?

Yes it's true.

Deaf? Because of salt? It's the first time I hear this.

It's very strange. I didn't know what it was and then I realised. It's a disaster.

Especially for a singer!

Well, for everyone!

Yes for everyone but for a singer it's a catastrophe... So, not eating salt.

Take piano lessons.

Ok. I would have thought Mika can play the piano? You don't?

Well actually each time I've had a teacher; I used to have one and she almost got a nervous breakdown because I was so bad. And so I did everything by ear. I'm very dyslexic. But now, because I've worked a lot on dyslexia, I think I'm ready now. It's funny how the brain works. Because we can sort things out. It's like a big computer and we can adjust things. So I think I can learn reading music.

It wasn't possible before because of dyslexia.

Exactly. Now I'm 30 and I think my brain is ready. And it's very strange because for example I couldn't count, add up in my head, I always used my fingers, and now eventually I can do it

15 + 5?

20. It's funny because it almost sounds stupid but I'm so dyslexic that I do everything by ear and when I count it's with my fingers. So I think my brain is changing.

So how did you resolve dyslexia?

I found my own way to do things. For example, I couldn't have English lessons when I was in my English school, and each time I tried to write something like an essay it was a disaster, and then I found my own way and now I write for La Repubblica in Italy, things like that, constantly. I've found the 'brain mapping'. We found a way

A map of the brain

For myself.

A way to find by yourself.

Exactly. And when finally I manage to make a link between one thing and another and find a way to do what I wanted to do, I never forget. It becomes possible. It's crazy because I'm dyslexic and it takes me time but last year I decided to take part in a TV show in Italy and so in a month and a half, coming from nothing, I learnt Italian. And it was surprising. I started and a month and a half later I was on TV, speaking fluently.

Because you found the way in your brain

My own way. I haven't used one single pen in all the lessons I've had during a month and a half.

You do realise that you're special, still in 2014 like in 2013, 2012, like the 29 previous years? You're a bit different

The truth is I think there are so many people like me. It's a bit hard because when we can't do things in a normal way, people think we're stupid. But actually we're not stupid at all.

Your message for 2014 is that for people we can call 'different' there is a way to succeed; the proof is Mika.

No I'm not the proof at all. If I'm the proof, good luck!

So, you are here for The Voice, in France where you grew up. It was complicated for you, you said it, with dyslexia, school wasn't great, you have already told your story; does it have a meaning for you to arrive as the big star on The Voice at the same place where it wasn't easy for you a few years ago?

It's strange because I've always told myself when we left France in a kind of whirlwind that I would come back and it would be ok, it would go well. And so, for me it's always been a bit... People ask themselves; if he isn't French, why does he have this link? Because it's my childhood. It's always been a challenge for me : to come back. In a positive way. And when you say 'being the big star on a TV set', I don't know, I don't feel like the big star!

It's an event, Mika in the jury of The Voice, it's an event. You have already recorded selections, and we know the principle of The Voice, when all seats are turned, the chosen candidate has to choose the coach and it seems that it's for you that all candidates go to and it's a bit more complicated for your fellow coaches, Jenifer, Garou and Florent Pagny...

No!!

Are you aware that you've created a kind of positive emulation for the show because they all want to go to Mika?

I don't know if that's very positive actually! For them it was a bit of a disaster! But it's not true it wasn't like that.

Well that's what I've been told! But then it stimulated the other coaches in a way.

Actually what happened is that there were people for which the production told me later 'these 3 people didn't really want to go with you'. Very nice, thank you! Thanks for telling me! But apparently I convinced them because I heard things and I was thinking 'it's not possible!' and I thought of that like I was there to fight.

And you fought.

That's for sure! Almost physically actually.

Almost physically! A man like you, a worldwide star who's sold 10 million albums, who takes part in TV shows as a judge, it can seem strange. How come in Mika's path, at a certain point, in Italy you go to X Factor, in France to The Voice...

And in the UK we'll make TV, it will be very different but... In fact I made this decision last year. I thought, well, I take the control over my career. I don't want to wait for my record company, a record company which is now so huge, it's funny because it gets bigger and the teams are even smaller... And I'm very lucky because in France I have a very very beautiful team that hasn't changed a lot. And so I don't know I thought I'm an artist who has to work internationally. My tours last one year and a half and I have to work on each market. So I never stop. And also I need radio everywhere around the world. And I thought I'm not going to wait for someone to tell me 'go, you can promote your album', I'm going to do it myself. I'm going to go and even if I'm scared to do it, I'm telling you, actually I said I wasn't scared, that I didn't have pressure, but I was very scared. So I did things in Spain, I did things in Italy, now I do things in France, I'm going to do things in the UK and I even started doing more TV in the US. Simply because I told myself, if I want this, I'm not going to pretend I'm part of the old guard of artists during the 90s who could just say 'ok we make gigs, we make albums and that's enough', now we have to fight a bit more.

It's a new generation of artists

It's a bit the new guard

They take control and don't wait for everything from the music industry which is not in great shape.

It's not in great shape but it doesn't mean that people don't want music because frankly it's ridiculous to think that people have changed their minds about music. That's not it! It's just that for me it was independence in a very popular format like TV, we can find an artistic freedom really without changing. I said I can make TV and I can stay the same. And so it remains something positive. And that's very important.

Except that during that time, you don't write, you're not in the studio

No I am writing!

Because Mika the artist, when is it for? The next album?

This year. It's released this year.

Ah ok.

I've already started.

And the idea to settle down at some point, do you think about it or not at all? Like building a family, something like that

Yes a lot. Actually one year ago I was much more ready to do it, and then I realised, when I see that last year I was in London for 4 weeks, it's not cool, it's not fair, it's not responsible. It's completely not possible. But it's ok I've got some time! And I absolutely have this idea in my head to do it and I think it would be great.

What can we wish for you in 2014, you have everything.

Oh that's not true.

What's missing?

I'm always looking for songs. I'm always looking for ideas, for an interesting path.

I think you'll find it.

I'm going to look for it.

Go on looking for it, that's how we find it generally.

Exactly. Actually, no, it's when you look that you don't find anything and when you say you don't want to look for it you realise it's in front of you.

So you have the future ahead of you.

Maybe, like everybody.

In the meantime your future is The Voice, it's this weekend on TF1, good luck Mika.

But you can't say that! How can I start my year like this?

So I say 'merde', really?

There you go.

It's said.

It's said.

First of all the Bohemian Rhapsody cover was stunning!!!

All the judges did a great job and what can I say about Mika, his performance was absolutely brilliant:wub2::wub2:

Lovely interview on RTL too!!

It was heartwarming to hear him talk about the piano lessons and all the things he's already accomplished. So happy for him!!

What he said about wanting to do tv without changing really makes me smile!! Always believed that. Besides this is something he has already proved with Xfactor and I'm sure it'll be the same with the Voice.

Also loved how he confirmed once again that the new album will be ready this year! This is really exciting!!!

many thanks for the translation camille! :flowers2: i love that interviewer, he asked exactly the right questions. :naughty: so, TV in the uk this year? i'm not sure yet whether to look forward to that, or fear it. that italian ad for sky tv has prepared me for the worst. :sneaky2: if it's about music, or design, and especially if it involves his own music, it will be great. if he suddenly starts doing documentaries about wild animals, just because it sells, it can be in the uk or not but in that case i'd seriously fear for his sanity. or mine. :aah::teehee:

anyway, great to hear the 2014 album being confirmed again. :wub2:

Coach for The Voice with Jenifer, Garou, Florent Pagny... Do you have some pressure?

Pressure? Well, I don't know. How can I have pressure for something I've never done?

We often have pressure for things we haven't done, wondering if we'll measure up to the event...

For me it's the contrary, I always have a lot of pressure for things I have already done, because it means it has to be better, worse...

Not eating salt because I'm very deaf and the more I eat salt the more deaf I become.

Really?

Yes it's true.

It's very strange. I didn't know what it was and then I realised. It's a disaster.

Especially for a singer!

Well, for everyone!

Take piano lessons.

Well actually each time I've had a teacher; I used to have one and she almost got a nervous breakdown because I was so bad. And so I did everything by ear. I'm very dyslexic. But now, because I've worked a lot on dyslexia, I think I'm ready now. It's funny how the brain works. Because we can sort things out. It's like a big computer and we can adjust things. So I think I can learn reading music.

Exactly. Now I'm 30 and I think my brain is ready. And it's very strange because for example I couldn't count, add up in my head, I always used my fingers, and now eventually I can do it

15 + 5?

20. It's funny because it almost sounds stupid but I'm so dyslexic that I do everything by ear and when I count it's with my fingers. So I think my brain is changing.

I found my own way to do things. For example, I couldn't have English lessons when I was in my English school, and each time I tried to write something like an essay it was a disaster, and then I found my own way and now I write for La Repubblica in Italy, things like that, constantly. I've found the 'brain mapping'. We found a way

A map of the brain

For myself.

Exactly. And when finally I manage to make a link between one thing and another and find a way to do what I wanted to do, I never forget. It becomes possible. It's crazy because I'm dyslexic and it takes me time but last year I decided to take part in a TV show in Italy and so in a month and a half, coming from nothing, I learnt Italian. And it was surprising. I started and a month and a half later I was on TV, speaking fluently.

My own way. I haven't used one single pen in all the lessons I've had during a month and a half.

You do realise that you're special, still in 2014 like in 2013, 2012, like the 29 previous years? You're a bit different

The truth is I think there are so many people like me. It's a bit hard because when we can't do things in a normal way, people think we're stupid. But actually we're not stupid at all.

Your message for 2014 is that for people we can call 'different' there is a way to succeed; the proof is Mika.

So, you are here for The Voice, in France where you grew up. It was complicated for you, you said it, with dyslexia, school wasn't great, you have already told your story; does it have a meaning for you to arrive as the big star on The Voice at the same place where it wasn't easy for you a few years ago?

It's strange because I've always told myself when we left France in a kind of whirlwind that I would come back and it would be ok, it would go well. And so, for me it's always been a bit... People ask themselves; if he isn't French, why does he have this link? Because it's my childhood. It's always been a challenge for me : to come back. In a positive way. And when you say 'being the big star on a TV set', I don't know, I don't feel like the big star!

It's an event, Mika in the jury of The Voice, it's an event. You have already recorded selections, and we know the principle of The Voice, when all seats are turned, the chosen candidate has to choose the coach and it seems that it's for you that all candidates go to and it's a bit more complicated for your fellow coaches, Jenifer, Garou and Florent Pagny...

No!!

Are you aware that you've created a kind of positive emulation for the show because they all want to go to Mika?

I don't know if that's very positive actually! For them it was a bit of a disaster! But it's not true it wasn't like that.

Well that's what I've been told! But then it stimulated the other coaches in a way.

Actually what happened is that there were people for which the production told me later 'these 3 people didn't really want to go with you'. Very nice, thank you! Thanks for telling me! But apparently I convinced them because I heard things and I was thinking 'it's not possible!' and I thought of that like I was there to fight.

And you fought.

Almost physically! A man like you, a worldwide star who's sold 10 million albums, who takes part in TV shows as a judge, it can seem strange. How come in Mika's path, at a certain point, in Italy you go to X Factor, in France to The Voice...

And in the UK we'll make TV, it will be very different but... In fact I made this decision last year. I thought, well, I take the control over my career. I don't want to wait for my record company, a record company which is now so huge, it's funny because it gets bigger and the teams are even smaller... And I'm very lucky because in France I have a very very beautiful team that hasn't changed a lot. And so I don't know I thought I'm an artist who has to work internationally. My tours last one year and a half and I have to work on each market. So I never stop. And also I need radio everywhere around the world. And I thought I'm not going to wait for someone to tell me 'go, you can promote your album', I'm going to do it myself. I'm going to go and even if I'm scared to do it, I'm telling you, actually I said I wasn't scared, that I didn't have pressure, but I was very scared. So I did things in Spain, I did things in Italy, now I do things in France, I'm going to do things in the UK and I even started doing more TV in the US. Simply because I told myself, if I want this, I'm not going to pretend I'm part of the old guard of artists during the 90s who could just say 'ok we make gigs, we make albums and that's enough', now we have to fight a bit more.

It's a bit the new guard

They take control and don't wait for everything from the music industry which is not in great shape.

It's not in great shape but it doesn't mean that people don't want music because frankly it's ridiculous to think that people have changed their minds about music. That's not it! It's just that for me it was independence in a very popular format like TV, we can find an artistic freedom really without changing. I said I can make TV and I can stay the same. And so it remains something positive. And that's very important.

No I am writing!

Ah ok.

I've already started.

And the idea to settle down at some point, do you think about it or not at all? Like building a family, something like that

Yes a lot. Actually one year ago I was much more ready to do it, and then I realised, when I see that last year I was in London for 4 weeks, it's not cool, it's not fair, it's not responsible. It's completely not possible. But it's ok I've got some time! And I absolutely have this idea in my head to do it and I think it would be great.

Oh that's not true.

What's missing?

I'm always looking for songs. I'm always looking for ideas, for an interesting path.

I think you'll find it.

Exactly. Actually, no, it's when you look that you don't find anything and when you say you don't want to look for it you realise it's in front of you.

Maybe, like everybody.

In the meantime your future is The Voice, it's this weekend on TF1, good luck Mika.

There you go.

It's said.

It's said.

:thumb_yello: MERCI Camille - you're an angel :huglove: I love this radio interview, except from the fact that the interviewer seems not to be aware that MIKA had a happy childhood in Paris, and that his dyslexia /school problems started in London, so it came out a bit wrong here - but OK, he had the chance to correct it, and he didn't...:blush-anim-cl:

Re. his upcoming alb. it still sounds promising - I think we all have excited months ahead ...:wub2:

Love,love

me

Really?

Yes it's true.

Especially for a singer!

Well, for everyone!

Take piano lessons.

15 + 5?

A map of the brain

For myself.

No!!

And you fought.

It's a bit the new guard

No I am writing!

Ah ok.

I've already started.

Oh that's not true.

What's missing?

I think you'll find it.

Maybe, like everybody.

There you go.

It's said.

It's said.

Many many thanks :huglove: I am eating since 2000 without salt.. :doh::thumb_yello:

Mika, let me give you a big high-five.

I love this interview. Guess what sentence I love best in my British heart.

I also understand how he's struggled with his brain problems. I have calcium deposits in my brain which have caused me many problems. I find it impossible to copy a number down, if it's more than 3 digits. I can't key in numbers either, someone has to read out the number to me, or I get confused and make mistakes.

I forget how to do things I've done all my life and have to re-learn them. I am so glad Mika feels he has found a way to do things he couldn't do before.

many thanks for the translation camille! :flowers2: i love that interviewer, he asked exactly the right questions. :naughty: so, TV in the uk this year? i'm not sure yet whether to look forward to that, or fear it. that italian ad for sky tv has prepared me for the worst. :sneaky2: if it's about music, or design, and especially if it involves his own music, it will be great. if he suddenly starts doing documentaries about wild animals, just because it sells, it can be in the uk or not but in that case i'd seriously fear for his sanity. or mine. :aah::teehee:

anyway, great to hear the 2014 album being confirmed again. :wub2:

:lmfao:

Thank you for your translation Camille!

I didn't know dyslexic people needed their fingers to count. My dughter's dyscalculic and she's like that. I do agree with him when he says his brain functions differently and he needed tricks to do "normal" things. I experience this with my 10 year-old everyday ;)

Thanks for the interview! :)

Finally listened to it, it was a great interview.

But I'm slightly worried about what he will do in the UK (even if it is always great that he does something special there, I'm really happy for you UK fans :thumb_yello::thumb_yello::thumb_yello:), I hope not something as a Talent show again, I would love a music related program that he would be hosting for example :wub2: but in that case I don't really know how this would help promote his music...

Anyway, we will see :mf_rosetinted:, he seems to have many plans :wub2: and I'm sure he is clever enough to change his way of promoting himself if he understand that it finally deserves him and the music :thumb_yello:

uh! well from now on..no salt for me either I didn't know about that

Thank you for the translation:wub2:

:naughty: Voila - so MIKAs interview brings health to people - added to the fact that his music "makes us happy" :fisch: I think we all know that both sugar and salt, in big portions, are poison to our bodies, and re. sugar he already told us, in "Lollipop" :aah: Isn't he a magical man ?!:teehee:

Love,love

me

:naughty: Voila - so MIKAs interview brings health to people - added to the fact that his music "makes us happy" :fisch: I think we all know that both sugar and salt, in big portions, are poison to our bodies, and re. sugar he already told us, in "Lollipop" :aah: Isn't he a magical man ?!:teehee:

Love,love

me

He can eat or not eat whatever he wants, if he thinks it helps *his* health, but i surely won't be bothered. There are so many studies trying to tell you what you should or shouldn't eat or do, to support your health, and one study says the opposite of the other. My mum loves believing stuff like that, so from only eating sea salt via turning off the power in her flat at night to avoid electric smog, to not touching any aluminium for weeks because she had heard that was unhealthy for some reason, she keeps trying all sorts of ridiculous stuff. Each to their own, sometimes just believing can help. :teehee: but it's nothing for me.

He can eat or not eat whatever he wants, if he thinks it helps *his* health, but i surely won't be bothered. There are so many studies trying to tell you what you should or shouldn't eat or do, to support your health, and one study says the opposite of the other. My mum loves believing stuff like that, so from only eating sea salt via turning off the power in her flat at night to avoid electric smog, to not touching any aluminium for weeks because she had heard that was unhealthy for some reason, she keeps trying all sorts of ridiculous stuff. Each to their own, sometimes just believing can help. :teehee: but it's nothing for me.

:naughty: Totally agree - it's nothing for me either!:teehee: I eat and drink whatever I want, whenever I want - so also with exercise/training - I do it when I feel a need for it - otherwise not! :wink2: Everything we do - should have a positive impact, and be done with a happy hearth - that's what counts, in the long run, imo ...:blush-anim-cl:

Love,love

me

Thanks for the translation Camille. It is so helpful :flowers2:

I don't know about brain remapping that is suddenly opening up all these learning possibilities at the age of 30. I wonder if he should have been more concerned about the dyslexic label than gay or other labels in his life. I mean obviously learning in ways that are typical for other children was extremely difficult for him but it sounds like he also had a mental block of "I can't do this" and just accepted it in the end when it came to things like telling time or reading music which weren't as essential to functioning as reading English was. Now he has more confidence and no external pressure so it's becoming possible for him. I just can't imagine how someone who is so adept at languages and so adept at music could not learn to read music eventually if they were determined. Maybe that's just my own ignorance about the nature of this kind of learning disability but it will be interesting to see how he gets on.

On the specific issue of learning Italian, I think actually doing it by ear is the way that adults should learn a language and I wouldn't be surprised if that's part of the reason he picked it up so quickly and not despite it. I think all of this learning "using a pen" as he says contributes to the sruggle to pick up another language in adulthood and we should be mimicking the way young children adapt languages since they are so much better at it than we are.

Well I think there is something more concrete than that going on so he could be right. Excess sodium consumption leads to water retention and if salt/fluid is retained in the ear it can damage it. There can be a direct correlation and salt restriction is a treatment for it. I guess it depends what is causing his deafness. But I would hope that since he's a professional singer he is getting some medical advice from a specialist doctor. So if this is what they are recommending it might be necessary.

About the album and the songwriting, it all sounds very vague to me. Like he has not come up with any kind of concept or direction. So it's a long way off. I guess we'll see.

Thanks for the translation Camille. It is so helpful :flowers2:

I don't know about brain remapping that is suddenly opening up all these learning possibilities at the age of 30. I wonder if he should have been more concerned about the dyslexic label than gay or other labels in his life. I mean obviously learning in ways that are typical for other children was extremely difficult for him but it sounds like he also had a mental block of "I can't do this" and just accepted it in the end when it came to things like telling time or reading music which weren't as essential to functioning as reading English was. Now he has more confidence and no external pressure so it's becoming possible for him. I just can't imagine how someone who is so adept at languages and so adept at music could not learn to read music eventually if they were determined. Maybe that's just my own ignorance about the nature of this kind of learning disability but it will be interesting to see how he gets on.

On the specific issue of learning Italian, I think actually doing it by ear is the way that adults should learn a language and I wouldn't be surprised if that's part of the reason he picked it up so quickly and not despite it. I think all of this learning "using a pen" as he says is why it's a struggle to pick up another language in adulthood and we should be mimicking the way young children adapt languages since they are so much better at it than we are.

Well I think there is something more concrete than that going on so he could be right. Excess sodium consumption leads to water retention and if salt/fluid is retained in the ear it can damage it. There can be a direct correlation and salt restriction is a treatment for it. I guess it depends what is causing his deafness. But I would hope that since he's a professional singer he is getting some medical advice from a specialist doctor. So if this is what they are recommending it might be necessary.

About the album and the songwriting, it all sounds very vague to me. Like he has not come up with any kind of concept or direction. So it's a long way off. I guess we'll see.

This was my first thought too. I think every one has their own weak Points, some get water in the feet other get swollen fingers or swollen eyes and Mika maybe gets water in his ears and he told us he had problems with his eary for a long time. I think I´ll ask one of my doctors when I see one again about it :teehee:

I agree with you about the learning christine, my thoughts exactly.

about the salt tho, i could understand if he said he wanted to eat less salt. Maybe he does eat too much of it, i don't know. But no salt at all in my opinion not only is more or less impossible, as so much of the everyday food contains salt, but it also can't be healthy. The body doesn't need much salt, but as far as i know it needs some. Any radical diet like that falls under the category i talked about in my last post, and i'd be very surprised if any doctor had advised this. But like i said, that's just my opinion on it, and each to their own. ;) anyway, i hope it helps him, would be a shame if he became deaf! :(

Really?

Yes it's true.

Especially for a singer!

Well, for everyone!

Take piano lessons.

15 + 5?

A map of the brain

For myself.

No!!

And you fought.

It's a bit the new guard

No I am writing!

Ah ok.

I've already started.

Oh that's not true.

What's missing?

I think you'll find it.

Maybe, like everybody.

There you go.

It's said.

It's said.

Thanks for the interview, very nice! :thumb_yello:

It's the first time that I hear this connection between salt and deafness :shocked: so, I learned a new thing thanks to Mika :wink2:

about the salt tho, i could understand if he said he wanted to eat less salt. Maybe he does eat too much of it, i don't know. But no salt at all in my opinion not only is more or less impossible, as so much of the everyday food contains salt, but it also can't be healthy. The body doesn't need much salt, but as far as i know it needs some. Any radical diet like that falls under the category i talked about in my last post, and i'd be very surprised if any doctor had advised this. But like i said, that's just my opinion on it, and each to their own. ;) anyway, i hope it helps him, would be a shame if he became deaf! :(

I don't think he meant he would literally not consume any sodium at all. Doctors do prescribe restricted sodium diets for various conditions and as you point out it's virtually impossible to completely eliminate all salt so I doubt there's any danger of him not consuming enough sodium to function.

Anyway let's just hope he has a real doctor and is not taking advice from a quack or Cosmopolitan magazine. :naughty:

I agree with you about the learning christine, my thoughts exactly.

I have to restrict my salt intake, and the way it has been described to me is that food naturally contains salt, and we all need some. But it is the adding of salt that causes problems. It can cause fluid retention that can be dangerous, or debilitating. So if Mika eats healthy, and doesn't add salt, he'll get what he needs, and not the excess that would aggravate his ears.