2009 - "Hugh Jackman recruits Mika for P.T. Barnum movie musical"

iadoremika

Published on Tuesday, Aug 4, 2009 By HitFix Staff

hjackman.jpg

Original movie musicals are a rare commodity these days, but 20th Century Fox is one of the few studios to jump at the prospect in the past decade with the Oscar-nominated "Moulin Rouge." Now, according to Variety, the studio is going down that road once again with stable star Hugh Jackman playing the legendary P.T. Barnum in "Showman."

"Dreamgirls'" Laurence Mark, Jackman and his longtime partner John Palermo will produce and Jenny Bicks ("Sex and the City") will write the screenplay for the original endeavor. The quartet worked together on this year's 81st Academy Awards and the trade describes the project as an "outgrowth" of their work together on the Emmy-nominated program.

The big surprise, however, is the studio and producers are entrusting 25-year-old singer-songwriter Mika, a barely successful commodity in the United States, to write the film's contemporary sounding book and score (what Rufus Wainwright wasn't available?). Something tells this writer this part of the equation will not turn out well.

In any event, the story will focus on Barnum's amazing ability to hype, promote and hoax audiences, his invention of the three ring circus and his romance with singer Jenny Lind.

The production is hoping to recruit Anne Hathaway for the Lind role by writing the part and songs with her in mind. Jackman, who is also pursuing a "Carousel" remake at Fox, also wants Hathaway to star in that new film as well. He might want to consider mixing it up a bit. There are other vocally talented actresses in Hollywood.

At this point, there is no director on board and production would be a minimum of a year away.

Hackman's next picture is Neil Marshall's thriller "Drive." Mika's second studio album, "We are Golden," hits the U.S. on September 21.

http://www.hitfix.com/articles/2009-8-4-hugh-jackman-recruits-mika-for-p-t-barnum-movie-musical

----------

Droopsy found another (more positive article :naughty:) here.

Mika says he's been approached by Fox Studios...article here. Found by Droopsy.

Edited by iadoremika

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy crap. I didn't even read the whole article. There's a shout out to my great great great great great grandma in there. Lol! For real! Jenny Lind, the Swedish Nightingale. I forgot about her thing with PT Barnum... I wrote like a 15 page research paper on her like two years ago.

Holy crap. I didn't even read the whole article. There's a shout out to my great great great great great grandma in there. Lol! For real! Jenny Lind, the Swedish Nightingale. I forgot about her thing with PT Barnum... I wrote like a 15 page research paper on her like two years ago.

WOW!:shocked: That's amazing that you can trace back that far!

And how exciting for Mana (and us) that Mika might write a musical/soundtrack!!!:biggrin2: (And may that stupid writer be proved wrong)

Wow, this is great - always thought Mika should, at some point, write a theatre musical, opera or a musical score for a film etc!

But why does the writer of the article think "this part of the equation will not turn out well"?? I can't think of anyone better suited to do it!! If this project goes ahead, Mika will have this guy eating his words! He's just as talented (if not more so, in my opinion) as Rufus Wainwright.

Such wonderful piece of news. :blush-anim-cl:

Who cares about the comment. If someone judges an artist's talent based on their commercial sucess in the US, I don't think we should even bother to be upset about it :cool:

:shocked:You're related to Jenny Lind? :shocked: Cool :biggrin2:

Edited by Naectegale

Jenny Lind is your great...grandma??? Wow, that's incredible, I have read so much about her, she was a world famous star by the time and then mostly forgotten in her own country, Sweden.

I would love to read your research paper about her, is that possible?:wink2:

Wow, this is great - always thought Mika should, at some point, write a theatre musical, opera or a musical score for a film etc!

But why does the writer of the article think "this part of the equation will not turn out well"?? I can't think of anyone better suited to do it!! If this project goes ahead, Mika will have this guy eating his words! He's just as talented (if not more so, in my opinion) as Rufus Wainwright.

Not so many people has discovered Mika geniality jet, the way we have, they think he's just an ordinary pop star!:biggrin2:

Who cares about the comment. If someone judges an artist's talent based on their commercial sucess in the US, I don't think we should even bother to be upset about it :cool:

Very true!:thumb_yello:

Anne Hathaway and Mika mentioned in the same article is enough to make me day, can't wait for cooperation between these two great personalities and artists!:wub2:

God I hope this is true!

Who the heck does that writer think he is! *fumes about what he wrote*

A musical by Mika would be amazing! Someone should tactfully explain to him who Mika is. It's not his fault he hasn't been that popular in America. They don't play his songs on the radio! Let's hope the writer gets the message when WAG comes out!

Oh my! I think this is brilliant! Almost more exciting than hearing that Mika's coming to Australia:shocked::teehee:

I love Hugh Jackman, I love Anne Hathaway, I loved their song together at the Oscars, I've always wanted Mika to do a film score or a musical and this would just combine it all beautifully. The best thing about it is that it would show all the doubters just what he's capable of.

Didn't someone ask Mika just recently about writing a musical? Or did I merely dream it?:aah:

Sounds exciting ... the journalist sounds a complete twit though .... If Mika does this ... cos' until' I hear it from him I won't believe it ... I hope he makes him eat his words ... it will turn out fantastic :wub2:

That would be great!!:biggrin2:Hope it's true.

Very well said.

Oh wow this is so fantastic!!! :biggrin2: :biggrin2:

I've been saying Mika should write a musical since I joined MFC. I was hoping he'd star in it but I guess Hugh Jackman is the next best thing. :wink2: I saw him in Oklahoma in London in the late 90s and even though I had no idea who he was I fell instantly in love. :mf_lustslow:

Mika might need some collaborative help on the lyrics, but I think the music will be better than all of these latter-day musicals. This writer will be eating his words.