Big Chill Festival CANCELLED - August 3rd, 2007

Yoppappop

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

someone compared his schedule to another singer......To me that is pointless for so many reasons.

First of all, people are all slightly different,which means that what affects one may not necessarily affect another.

And secondly, has anyone actually compared how much more Mika gives in his gigs than other artists? It totally hit me when I watched Glastonbury. Some singers didn't even sing properly, they just half-hearted walked around sort of speaking to the mike!

Mika gives 200 % in each gig and he ends up sweating buckets.

I was not intending to make a comparison between Paolo Nutini and Mika. I just wanted to illustrate that the assumptions made a few months ago by his management team and probably Mika himself were not necessarily unrealistic (regardless of the eventual outcome). Other young British artists undergo the same hazing ritual as they try to break in the US while maintaining the success they've achieved in Europe. A few of them have slipped here and there but it's usually due to excessive alcohol consumption, not uncontrollable illness.

I realize that people are affected differently by such a physically stressful situation which is why I wonder if perhaps Mika is not cut out for this lifestyle. I hope that it was just a case of unfortunate timing that he got sick when he did and if they can plan out his tours in a more linear fashion he won't have a chronic problem dogging him for the rest of his career.

Not that it really matters, but just for the record Paolo Nutini sings his ass off. If you watch this performance you'll see he's sweat through his shirt halfway down to the elbows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuaDDPlAo2g

Same!! Plus let me remind you: NY is a free concert.

It has many artists playing, hence it 'smells' of festival...But still because it's the Us and national TV, I am sure that it's high on the priority list if he can even barely make it...

It's not a festival, at least not in the Glastonbury sense. It's a series of concerts that are put on every Friday during the summer. Mika is the only artist playing that week.

...well - diagonally read people's opinions and what the discussion has turned into....

1. Regarding the matter itself - I'd rather stick to my point of avoiding harsh outbursts while having no information on the matter of things (though I totally understand the people who do, only disagree with the form)

And once again - wld like to have at least a couple of lines - no matter where - Mikasounds, myspace-shedding some light on the evnts, or at least a brief apology.

2. It was really touchy to see someone's "enlightening" (and not being sarcastic or smth - I am seriously positive all the way)...well... again - do not agree with the form (see what it brought - and not only a thing happening with these particular group of people in this particular thread here ). Though at that point it might be useless and offending to point, since I believe the person had thought and made conclusions

3. I want to believe Avoca's project has been passed to the recepient!!!!!!

P.S.

Generally - sometimes it does look to me he has some big and general problem regarding the whole ENT thing, and a constantly recurring one. So simply taking a break, no matter how big it is just wont help...since these things will keep appearing....The management has to put his particular health needs into consideration and plan the events, and "take care" of him during the events....(after all-some opera singers keep covering their throat and such...I believe it has reasons other than plainly showing off....plus they mostly do not jump on stage half-naked and sweaty in the wind )

P.P.S. regading #2 of this post-have just read another long post in another thread....(sigh)

like mika?i think he should take the resonsibilty to at least tell the mods what is going on and they can report back to us:mf_rosetinted:

lol, you're so innocent. Mika would not be able to tell the mods what's going on...we know he reads this forum but we don't actually know 100% if he has an account on here, and whether he secretly posts or not. Even if he did and he PM'd a mod, if a mod suddenly created a new thread telling the "truth" about his illness, this is what would become of it:

1) People could think the mod was lying, as the mod would respect Mika's privacy and so would not post the user name for "proof". Even his user name wouldn't prove it was Mika or not, even if it said "MIKA". It's easy to lie and pretend.

2) As practically mentioned above, if a mod did recieve something of the like, there's no sure way of knowing unless Mika posted a video of himself sayign what's been going on.

3) Some diehard fans would search for Mika's account (if he has one) and his privacy/secret would be blown.

Not only that, not every Mika fan is on the forum. I understand that the fans should know the truth (he may well be ill but it doesn't make sense that he cancels festivals and does his own gigs. We have theories, but that's all they are) but if it was posted here other fans would be in the dark. The only way to tell each and every fan would be through the media. Good choice or not? I'll let you decide.

lol, you're so innocent. Mika would not be able to tell the mods what's going on...

Actually one of the mods is in contact with Mika's manager, so we may get an explanation from him via his manager. I don't know if it's going to be a satisfactory explanation, but the question will be asked.

I was not intending to make a comparison between Paolo Nutini and Mika. I just wanted to illustrate that the assumptions made a few months ago by his management team and probably Mika himself were not necessarily unrealistic (regardless of the eventual outcome). Other young British artists undergo the same hazing ritual as they try to break in the US while maintaining the success they've achieved in Europe. A few of them have slipped here and there but it's usually due to excessive alcohol consumption, not uncontrollable illness.

I realize that people are affected differently by such a physically stressful situation which is why I wonder if perhaps Mika is not cut out for this lifestyle. I hope that it was just a case of unfortunate timing that he got sick when he did and if they can plan out his tours in a more linear fashion he won't have a chronic problem dogging him for the rest of his career.

Not that it really matters, but just for the record Paolo Nutini sings his ass off. If you watch this performance you'll see he's sweat through his shirt halfway down to the elbows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuaDDPlAo2g

HA! thanks for the lead!! I'd never actually taken the time to actually watch Paolo, so it was a nice surprise to see how cute he is lol...:thumb_yello:

I quite like his songs so far so thanks for that.

You always learn something new.

I see what you mean about the sweating, but I still think that Mika moves and jumps around more (ie,more intensely) but it's true that this is not actually the point and it's more about how it affects people differently...

It's not a festival, at least not in the Glastonbury sense. It's a series of concerts that are put on every Friday during the summer. Mika is the only artist playing that week.

Yes, I agree. My choice of words was probably not the best (I blame it on being knackered after my looong post hehe).

I suppose that what I meant was that it was not the same as an 'official' Mika gig..I still think that he will NOT cancel this one unless he is totally unable to sing. My hunch (not that novel as everyone thinks the same haha)

Anyway thanks for taking the time to read and comment, that's one of the reasons why I love this forum and its people, everyone is open and willing to discuss things.

:winksmiley02:

Okay I've just spoken to Avoca on the phone, she seems to have survived recieving the fantastic news :mf_rosetinted:

She is extremely understanding and it is no problem at all for her that Mika cancelled this late, nor is it a problem that he can't take the time to explain why he has cancelled. After all he is a busy man and Avoca knows all about being busy, after spending months on the birthday project and trying to have time for her life at the same time, so no hard feelings at all :mf_rosetinted:

Get well soon Mika :wub2:

Kata your words sting!! Avoca can not be that understanding...we know how much work went into the birthday project...

Wow Kata that was extremely understanding!!!

Well I'm just really glad she's not that devastated!!!!

But I know Kata is one of the few people who really has felt what the word CANCELLATION feels like.

not even the second thought, but 1.5 thought..

smth is going on.....he sounded different in SYTYCD and + hoarse interview....

(+I personally get a sore throat each time on the airplane and the air is dry and hurts my nose to breathe....)

He seemed really really well on Monday in Tokyo, and his manager was doing a very protective job of keeping people back from him. Mika is the product he is taking care of. He doesn't want his head on the chopping block. Mika pays him too.

Oh Mika Mad....you did so well not to cry in front of your children...I am sure that I would have. I do hope that you manage to salvage something out of the weekend.

Lots and lots of love...to you and all the other MFCers xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Lots of love and hugs to Avoca and her family, Mika Mad and her family(...what a rotten job to have to tell your kids) and all the other MFCers at Big Chill.

I think there is more going on than we know about.

Definitely more than we know about. Mika is a perfectionist. I am sure he would not compromise the quality of his shows for anything and he would also not let down the fans he cares so much about.

All kinds of stuff happens. We are not privy to that. But it is really really sad for Avoca Mika Mad and all their kids etc. Big hugs from us.:sad: :sad:

Hello everyone.

We've all left the Big Chill early.

Thank you for all your kind messages telling us to have a lovely time and in some ways it was lovely.

I really enjoyed meeting Tia (and her fantastic little daughter), Babspanky (who is brilliant company even in adverse conditions!), Bexxy (who all the kids adored) and Avoca and her family (who are all on their way here to spend the night with us)

The whole Mika cancellation thing did put a huge downer on the whole event. It was hard not to think about how great it would have been.

If he was genuinely ill, fair enough and I hope that he gets better soon, but it would be nice to know the truth.

We didn't find out until a couple of hours before he was due on stage.

We could have been told a lot earlier. If they had told us a week ago, then I'll have flogged my tickets on Ebay because they were £130 each!

Even to have been told the day before would have been a lot better.

I am too tired and too fed up with the whole thing to write the rest of what I want to say.

Mika Mad.

Oh MikaMad, I feel like commenting yet don't know what to say :blink:

*HUG* and give avoca a biiig HUG from me, and the others too :huglove:

Thank you Violet Sky, Avoca should be here soon. I expect she'll be online herself later on. She took the news so amazingly well. Her family must have spent a fortune coming over and she couldn't give Mika the birthday card (which she had put together beautifully).

lol, you're so innocent. Mika would not be able to tell the mods what's going on...we know he reads this forum but we don't actually know 100% if he has an account on here, and whether he secretly posts or not. Even if he did and he PM'd a mod, if a mod suddenly created a new thread telling the "truth" about his illness, this is what would become of it:

1) People could think the mod was lying, as the mod would respect Mika's privacy and so would not post the user name for "proof". Even his user name wouldn't prove it was Mika or not, even if it said "MIKA". It's easy to lie and pretend.

2) As practically mentioned above, if a mod did recieve something of the like, there's no sure way of knowing unless Mika posted a video of himself sayign what's been going on.

3) Some diehard fans would search for Mika's account (if he has one) and his privacy/secret would be blown.

Not only that, not every Mika fan is on the forum. I understand that the fans should know the truth (he may well be ill but it doesn't make sense that he cancels festivals and does his own gigs. We have theories, but that's all they are) but if it was posted here other fans would be in the dark. The only way to tell each and every fan would be through the media. Good choice or not? I'll let you decide.

true.but he did tell sivan about the demos and stuff.i considered what you were getting at too.maybe he should explain it to his fans some other way.:mf_rosetinted:

Hello everyone.

We've all left the Big Chill early.

Thank you for all your kind messages telling us to have a lovely time and in some ways it was lovely.

I really enjoyed meeting Tia (and her fantastic little daughter), Babspanky (who is brilliant company even in adverse conditions!), Bexxy (who all the kids adored) and Avoca and her family (who are all on their way here to spend the night with us)

The whole Mika cancellation thing did put a huge downer on the whole event. It was hard not to think about how great it would have been.

If he was genuinely ill, fair enough and I hope that he gets better soon, but it would be nice to know the truth.

We didn't find out until a couple of hours before he was due on stage.

We could have been told a lot earlier. If they had told us a week ago, then I'll have flogged my tickets on Ebay because they were £130 each!

Even to have been told the day before would have been a lot better.

I am too tired and too fed up with the whole thing to write the rest of what I want to say.

Mika Mad.

im very srry!i hope u had a fun trip anyways!:biggrin2:

OH Mika Mad...and Avoca...I am so totally and utterly devastated for you....you are being so brave...I know you don't have any choice...but as you say MM...if you had had advance warning you could have tried to sell the tickets...that is a serious amount of money...plus all your other costs.

Well i am Back home now after such a BRILLIANT journey home :mf_rosetinted:

i only went and locked my car keys in my car while stopping for a loo break and i had to wait an hour to get rescued by the RAC :thumbdown:

Anyywayyss yup im dissapointed yup i will eventually get over it and yup i have the birthday project now in my care and hoping to somehow get it delivered to him at V festival (if he doesnt cancel it that it) :boxed:

Im very sunburnt tired and sore but what makes up for it all is meeting all the wonderful MFC members whom without im sure we would have all been reduced to tears :punk:

Hi Bexxy...a crappy journey ontop of it all...huh...what a bummer! I am glad that you found some solace in meeting the MFClubbers...but what an absolute arse it has been.

I bet that locking your keys in the car was the cherry on top of your trip!

:( So sorry!!!!

i only went and locked my car keys in my car while stopping for a loo break and i had to wait an hour to get rescued by the RAC :thumbdown:

Anyywayyss yup im dissapointed yup i will eventually get over it and yup i have the birthday project now in my care and hoping to somehow get it delivered to him at V festival (if he doesnt cancel it that it) :boxed:

Im very sunburnt tired and sore but what makes up for it all is meeting all the wonderful MFC members whom without im sure we would have all been reduced to tears :punk:

I really feel for you all. You're brave :wink2:

oh they say time will heal but right now im feeling really negative about it all who knows what is happening with Mika and his management and we could continue guessing Foever and eternity we may never know the truth and thats what hurts the most us fans being kept in the dark.

Can i just add it took ALOT of effort from everyone who went to the Big Chill from the MFC to actually set up camp it was a long trek from the car park to the camp site with all of our stuff i think it pretty much killed our Spirits ((sigh))

It was a wonderful festival though even without Mika it was such a great atmosphere everyone dressing up as fairies and stuff it was sooo layed back and colourful i think we pretty much spent three days just sitting, eating, drinking and laying in the sun listening to random Music :thumb_yello:

Oh everyones kids were great and soo well behaved considering :biggrin2:

oh they say time will heal but right now im feeling really negative about it all who knows what is happening with Mika and his management and we could continue guessing Foever and eternity we may never know the truth and thats what hurts the most us fans being kept in the dark.

Can i just add it took ALOT of effort from everyone who went to the Big Chill from the MFC to actually set up camp it was a long trek from the car park to the camp site with all of our stuff i think it pretty much killed our Spirits ((sigh))

It was a wonderful festival though even without Mika it was such a great atmosphere everyone dressing up as fairies and stuff it was sooo layed back and colourful i think we pretty much spent three days just sitting, eating, drinking and laying in the sun listening to random Music :thumb_yello:

Oh everyones kids were great and soo well behaved considering :biggrin2:

hey bexx :) glad u all had fun anyway! :thumb_yello:

Ah Bexx, sorry to hear about your car keys! I still feel bad for you all... but I am glad to hear that you had a great time with the other MFC members! :thumb_yello:

The Birthday Project will be safe in your hands, I really hope you will manage to hand it over!

Thta is good then that you managed to enjoy some aspects of it. it is such a shame though as you all spent so much money...not just on tickets but everything else as well and I totally agree with you...it wouldn't be so bad if you didn't feel that you were being kept in the dark.

i actually think that going to see mika shows is just an excuse to meet new and fun people ;)

right? ;)

I totally agree with you Sivan!!!

I may not get to see Mika next weekend but I do get to meet other people who are excited about him and his music as I am!! I just can't seem to convince my friends that Mika is amazing:thumbdown:

I think they are just jealous personally....:roftl: