2009 - MIKA@Passionkirche, Berlin! Gig reports, photos & vids!! June 1

happikali

P1060438-1.jpg

I’m VERY HAPPY. VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY HAPPY.

MIKA is the best. Aösdlfjsfdfnsöouir348vjlsdjf.

Aww that is awesome! :wub2::thumb_yello:

You made me even more excited for tonight [if that is actually possible :teehee:]!!!

I have just a short time to post a report but as most of you might be interested in receiving any news, let me put down my first impressions/thoughts.

To begin with, the setlist was as follows (NOT necessarily in order):

Lady Jane, Grace Kelly, Over My Shoulder, Billy Brown, Blue Eyes, Toy Boy, Stuck in the Middle, Blame it on the Girls, Happy Ending, Big Girl, Lollipop, Good Gone Girl, Love Today, Rain, Grace Kelly with piano only

...so , first thoughts:

He did not manage to start Lady Jane at the right pitch - not even for the second time - but from the middle he kind of tried to compensate it with more dynamics and exaggerated gestures (:naughty:) That was sooooo typical of him. I actually loved it .:blush-anim-cl:

The other song he messed up was Toy Boy (though I am not really sure why he stopped in the middle, ruining it), but because he ended the song the melody of the music box from Mozart's Magic Flute with a mischievous smile on his face, I forgave him. :wub2: ( If you don't know what I am talking out, you can find the link I posted a couple of months ago on the Toy Boy thread - Papageno's Ein Mädchen oder Weibchen ). I was so impressed that after the gig I even took the courage to ask him if he was inspired by that when writing TB...:teehee: (unnecessarily, really, since he did play that tune at the end, but I thought it was kind of nice to let him know that we appreciate teh effort... or at least I most definitely do:blush-anim-cl:)

Another favourite part of the show for me was him playing Over My Shoulder - it was almost unbelievable he performed it so well that towards the end he actually sounded better than on the original recording (A.M. sounded just the same but Mika's voice was stronger - such a pleasant surprise:thumb_yello: )

All his upbeat songs (GGG, BG, Lollipop, SMITM, BOTG) sounded absolutely brilliant - everyone was dancing and singing anf the atmosphere was simply undescribable. (I leave those for the other MFCers to report on them)...

Finally, I have to conclude that besides the really intimate atmosphere and the good vocal backing it was the fact that he is now increasingly reliant on fans to join in and sing that made it all feel so glorious...

A typical example of that Happy Ending (one of my favourites that night) .. He was leaving fans to sing the chorus while he was singing on top...

We sounded like a choir .... I want more of that - different parts of the audience singing different parts.. etc :thumb_yello:

Well, that's it from me now - will be back tomorrow only I guess..leaving for sightseeing in Potsdam now

Edited by suzie
..forgot to include Billy Brown in original report, though it was one of the best songs and he alsomade a funny comment to us

I have just a short time to post a report but as most of you might be interested in receiving any news, let me put down my first impressions/thoughts.

To begin with, the setlist was as follows (NOT necessarily in order):

Lady Jane, Grace Kelly, Over My Shoulder, Blue Eyes, Toy Boy, Stuck in the Middle, Blame it on the Girls, Happy Ending, Big Girl, Lollipop, Good Gone Girl, Love Today, Rain, Grace Kelly with piano only

...so , first thoughts:

He did not manage to start Lady Jane at the right pitch - not even for the second time - but from the middle he kind of tried to compensate it with more dynamics and exaggerated gestures (:naughty:) That was sooooo typical of him. I actually loved it .:blush-anim-cl:

The other song he messed up was Toy Boy (though I am not really sure why he stopped in the middle, ruining it), but because he ended the song the melody of the music box from Mozart's Magic Flute with a mischievous smile on his face, I forgave him. :wub2: ( If you don't know what I am talking out, you can find the link I posted a couple of months ago on the Toy Boy thread - Papageno's Ein Mädchen oder Weibchen ). I was so impressed that after the gig I even took the courage to ask him if he was inspired by that when writing TB...:teehee: (unnecessarily, really, since he did play that tune at the end, but I thought it was kind of nice to let him know that we appreciate teh effort... or at least I most definitely do:blush-anim-cl:)

Another favourite part of the show for me was him playing Over My Shoulder - it was almost unbelievable he performed it so well that towards the end he actually sounded better than on the original recording (A.M. sounded just the same but Mika's voice was stronger - such a pleasant surprise:thumb_yello: )

All his upbeat songs (GGG, BG, Lollipop, SMITM, BOTG) sounded absolutely brilliant - everyone was dancing and singing anf the atmosphere was simply undescribable. (I leave those for the other MFCers to report on them)...

Finally, I have to conclude that besides the really intimate atmosphere and the good vocal backing it was the fact that he is now increasingly reliant on fans to join in and sing that made it all feel so glorious...

A typical example of that Happy Ending (one of my favourites that night) .. He was leaving fans to sing the chorus while he was singing on top...

We sounded like a choir .... I want more of that - different parts of the audience singing different parts.. etc

Well, that's it from me now - will be back tomorrow only I guess..leaving for sightseeing in Potsdam now

thank you, Suzie :flowers2:

Thanks CottonCandy for the report and pictures !I'm glad you had a wonderful time :biggrin2:

It's nice to see Martin again and I think Rain sounds the same when I've been to Amsterdam last year where is the difference ?

And I wish there was a video where he sang Lady Jane.

Well, in this vid there were drums and a guitar.:blink:

In Amsterdam 't was just him on piano, not even violins or something.

Thanks for the reports and pictures, when I told my mom he did Over my Shoulder, which is her favourite song, she started to scream:biggrin2:

Can't wait til tonight!

One question: How late did the gig end?

Edited by xlindee

Thanks everyone

Ive kinda read through closed hands as I want London to be a suprise but its hard :roftl:

I think he can always surprise us... that's part of his charm :teehee:

Anyway, I am only back because there are important things I forgot to tell you about (I keep forgetting things as this is my 2nd night with less than 4 hours of sleep)

1., He did take time to sign and talk to people after the show - just make sure you all behave and stand in a queue

2., You have the chance to buy the EP at the gig for 20 EUR

3., Toy Boy was written by Mika and Jodie Marr. (Do w have a kind of apperciation thread on her already? If so, let's bump it!)

Anyway, I am only back because there are important things I forgot to tell you about (I keep forgetting things as this is my 2nd night with less than 4 hours of sleep)

1., He did take time to sign and talk to people after the show - just make sure you all behave and stand in a queue

3., Toy Boy was written by Mika and Jodie Marr. (Do w have a kind of apperciation thread on her already? If so, let's bump it!)

thanks again! :thumb_yello:

I am tired but so happy! My English is bad so I can't find right words, sorry. I just say it was perfect, and that he is really sweet. So sweet... I was hoping he would sing Relax, but we heard Lady Jane, Toy Boy, Rain and a really beautiful version of Over My Shoulder (it was beautiful!!), so I am so happy.

I have a few photos, I can show them when I get back home. I filmed something, here is Love Today (it is my all time favorite, so I wanted to film that one).

I am tired but so happy! My English is bad so I can't find right words, sorry. I just say it was perfect, and that he is really sweet. So sweet... I was hoping he would sing Relax, but we heard Lady Jane, Toy Boy, Rain and a really beautiful version of Over My Shoulder (it was beautiful!!), so I am so happy.

I have a few photos, I can show them when I get back home. I filmed something, here is Love Today (it is my all time favorite, so I wanted to film that one).

Thanks very much Tiibet!!

He is so cute :wub2:

thank you!!

I called Ingie during that one :teehee:

This is a great news! Hope HE'll do this in Milan too :blush-anim-cl:

Thanks for the link! :wink2:

Thanks!! Lovely :wub2:

Except the standing on the piano bit....I have a thing about this... I don't know, to me, musical instruments should be treated with respect, (and piano especially affects me cos I play it) so it makes me cringe to see him dancing on it..... but I guess, passionate artists.... *rolls eyes* :roftl:

The gig sounds wonderful!