MIKA @ Sadlers Wells, London - June 8 2009 - Gig Reports, Photos & Videos

Blue Sky

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only one thing scares me more than my sister, and that's the wrath of the MFC!:naughty:

MFC MFC, whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do when they come for you:mf_rosetinted:

Btw, how did the interview go?:roftl:

The stage invasion

From what I could see, it looked like Aurelien had asked to go up on stage - then more MFCers joined in, then others. I think it happened because we had seen that was what had happened elsewhere. Not too sure if it was actually what Mika wanted/intended. He certainly had to force his way out of the crowd at the end and did not look happy..

Poor Mika, he needs to say no more:mf_rosetinted:

The M&G

Well - the MFCers were having a nice chat and signing the flag when eventually it dawned on us that we ought to be at the stage door, by which time there was already quite a queue. So when Mika finally came out, most of the people he first saw were unfamiliar. And the security guys said no pictures or autographs - as if. Mika did work his way down most of the queue, but very quickly, just signing things and only actually chatting to a few people. He was there maybe fifteen minutes at most, which was quick considering the size of the queue.

And of course some people who hadn't been in the queue at all managed to get themselves at the front when Mika came along the line :sneaky2:

This is my London gig report:

I was the first person to arrive at Sadler´s Wells, at 3:00 p.m 5 hours before the show. The fact that I was finally going to see Mika in person after 3 years was still so surreal to me I was ironically not excited. I was so surprised that I didn´t have butterflies in my stomach or anything like that. When we (my two cousins that took me) arrived, an instinct made me open one of the doors next to the elevators just becuase. No reason at all, really I just felt like I wanted to go inside. And then guess who was in there.....yes..MIKA. I had just entered the stall area of the arena, stadium, or what else you want to call it. What I felt when I saw Mika sitting on that piano talking into the microphone is undescribable. The second I saw him I burst into tears and immeadiately covered my mouth to not make any noise. I sneaked in a little more and sat on one of the stall seats, just staring at him rehearse. I saw the entire set of the show and he was still wearing his normal clothes, big pants and a t-shirt. There was a few people there, but nobody saw me really. I saw Cherisse at the drums and ES DEVLIN!!! which I couldn´t believe because she is such a talented woman and I admire her so much, she´s so tiny.

Both my cousins were outside the door cracking it open a little to look inside very quietly. A few minutes later, a lady came and told us we couldn´t be in there. I should have stayed but it was obvious I was with them. I covered my mouth with my coat and the tears just kept running, I had just seen Mika in person. He wasnt a photo in my specially labeled Mika folder, or a video on youtube, it was really him,singing, talking, wakling, being beautiful. Those few minutes watching him were so incredible i was so extremely happy.

After that we sat in some red couches that were in the lobby. I was the only person there for Mika´s show that night. About two hours later I spotted some MFCers outside and kind of felt relieved. More and more people kept coming as hours passed, I bought the EP and looked through it for a good amount of time. My feet were in unbearable pain because I refused to sit down for most of the time. THEN it was finally 8 p.m and doors OPENED!! Finally. I went inside and took my 11th row seats that have a very nice story behind them, and patiently waited. I went to the stage and put the framed wedding photo of Mika and I there.

After the first performance there was intermission and I took my photo away because there was a lot of changing being done to the stage and I was afraid the cleaning crew would take it. The opening band, Blue roses, were really great and gave me chills. They played about four songs, then intermission, then a sneak peak of Mika´s stage set (which I had already seen!!!) then lights out and everyone sitting down. I wont go into detail about the show itself, but it was INCREDIBLE. I cried nonstop for about the first 15 minutes whilst simultaneously screaming out every single lyric of every single song. Nobody around me knew any of the words, so I bet i got tons of weird stares since I was singing/screaming and dancing/jumping in my seat. There was a point when everyone in stalls stood up, thats when i ran to the front of the stage, i was one person behind from the stage.

I don´t remmember what song Mika was singing but I was singing along and jumping with one arm out to him with my eyes still so teary. He got close to the edge of the stage and looked at me and smirked because I was a wreck, then reached his arm out and grabbed my hand. How can I describe what i felt when he did that? I can´t.. it was that amazing. He is really gorgeous up close, and even from 11th row. The atmosphere was incredible throughout the entire show. When it finished, I was not at all dissapointed, I was so excited. I knew that wouldn´t be the last time I would see Mika, it was the best first time ever.

The meet and greet was a fraction of the time it took to wait for it to happen. I was pretty close to the beginning of the que. I was freezing cold and my feet were numb but i held on to my EP and just waited as long as I had to. It felt like I waited for ages until Cherisse came out and i yelled "OH MY GOD CHERISSE" and everyone was cheering , she didnt walk down the que but I saw her from far, she is soooo tiny. After about another 10 minutes MIKA finally came out and that´s when my heart really started racing. My cousins were on the other side of the street waitting for him to come out so they can run over and take pictures. I could see his hair walking above everyone else´s heads. When he finally got to me, he seemed so overwhelmed and exhausted I didn´t ask for an autograph. I said to him " can I just have a hug? " and he said " a hug? sure! ", then you can guess what happened next. I hugged Mika Penniman. I never thought I would be able to say that and not be lying. I followed him down the que until I got close enough to give him the marriage photo that i printed and framed for him. I handed it to him and said " i made this for you ", he saw it for a bit and laughed (!!!!!) then looked at me and said " are we getting married? ", while in shock that he just spoke to me, I laughed and jokingly said yes. He used the frame for the rest of the que to help sign other people´s things.

I am still digesting everything that happened to me last night and I know it won´t hit me until a few days. Im so thankful for everything . I came to London from Florida and all the effort and money and time that has been put into this journey was all for Mika, and he has made everything worth it. Even though he doesn´t know it, and he might never, he has made my life complete. This is so much more than " I love mika he´s so cute and talented ", he really is an enormous part of my life and the most inspirational person I have ever met. If i can tell him anything at all I would thank him for all the efforts he makes in his career, and thank him for being so devoted, and especially thank him for changing my life.

The only real goal Ive ever had was to meet Mika, and I reached it.

This was more of a personal report than an informative one really. Thanks for reading and thanks to everyone who was there last night because you all made everything so exciting and memorable. Especially thanks to all the MFCers who went, you are all so friendly and I really admire it. Thanks to Marie-Therese for being so generous. Also thanks to the tall blonde kid who jumped on stage first, that really made my night.

awwwww I really really love your report!!!!!!!! It's the same that "happened" to me last week in Berlin...that was my first concert and I waited for it 2 1/2 years...I was like nervous as you described it!!! :mf_lustslow::stretcher:

haha u were there at 3 pm?? I was there at 2 pm xD I was sitting outside and waited for Sasje and Leator! (Two other friends form the German Mikafanclub)

Yes...this is a thing that's really fascinating me...we all are a really big family and so thanks to Freddie who organised all this and brought the forum into live! :mf_lustslow::thumb_yello:

In comparison to the concert in Berlin I think this one was better if you look at the effects and stageshow he made and those amazing feelings and the happiness that jumped over from the fans to Mika! :mf_lustslow::wub2: But later at the autographs he wasn't that pleased I think, because he looked a bit tired and...I dunno...in berlin the feeling was another one...but thaugh I really really enjoyed the concert!!!!!!! I will see him as soon as possible...such concerts are like drugs...you can never get rid of 'em! :aah:

Does the concert will be released on DVD...does anybody know???

i was there! if anyone saw me- i was with my aunt sat on the floor outside first circle waiting to be allowed in (before the concert) i hd a black mika t-shirt and black skinny jeans on with pink braces

EDIT: I was wearing vans too if that helps?

did anyone see me?

the concert was brill by the way!

Edited by MIKAmadRosie1996

The M&G

Well - the MFCers were having a nice chat and signing the flag when eventually it dawned on us that we ought to be at the stage door, by which time there was already quite a queue. So when Mika finally came out, most of the people he first saw were unfamiliar. And the security guys said no pictures or autographs - as if. Mika did work his way down most of the queue, but very quickly, just signing things and only actually chatting to a few people. He was there maybe fifteen minutes at most, which was quick considering the size of the queue.

And of course some people who hadn't been in the queue at all managed to get themselves at the front when Mika came along the line :sneaky2:

Did you get to meet him Silver?

MFC MFC, whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do when they come for you:mf_rosetinted:

Btw, how did the interview go?

Poor Mika, he needs to say no more:mf_rosetinted:

I enjoyed it, Danika is very good, and she didn't blind me with a ruddy great light which was a bonus! LOL!!!

I hope I came across okay, guess what my answer was for What's the craziest thing you've done for MFC? Ha ha ha!

awwwww I really really love your report!!!!!!!! It's the same that "happened" to me last week in Berlin...that was my first concert and I waited for it 2 1/2 years...I was like nervous as you described it!!! :mf_lustslow:

haha u were there at 3 pm?? I was there at 2 pm xD I was sitting outside and waited for Sasje and Leator! (Two other friends form the German Mikafanclub)

Yes...this is a thing that's really fascinating me...we all are a really big family and so thanks to Freddie who organised all this and brought the forum into live! :mf_lustslow::thumb_yello:

In comparison to the concert in Berlin I think this one was better if you look at the effects and stageshow he made and those amazing feelings and the happiness that jumped over from the fans to Mika! :mf_lustslow: But later at the autographs he wasn't that pleased I think, because he looked a bit tired and...I dunno...in berlin the feeling was another one...but thaugh I really really enjoyed the concert!!!!!!! I will see him as soon as possible...such concerts are like drugs...you can never get rid of 'em! :aah:

Does the concert will be released on DVD...does anybody know???

He was in a hurry to get to his aftershow party, but he certainly was happy, well he was when I saw him anyway!

I enjoyed it, Danika is very good, and she didn't blind me with a ruddy great light which was a bonus! LOL!!!

I hope I came across okay, guess what my answer was for What's the craziest thing you've done for MFC? Ha ha ha!

Hahahaha, well perhaps our very own Mrs. Fluffington should steal Andy's job:mf_rosetinted:

Hahahaha, well perhaps our very own Mrs. Fluffington should steal Andy's job:mf_rosetinted:

At least she might talk to me:mf_rosetinted:

Did you get to meet him Silver?

I got his autograph but didn't get to speak to him - I had people in front of me so just handed over my ticket to be signed - didn't even really see him :tears:

Boy am I tired.

Gig report first.

So nice not to have to queue - except that they kept us waiting inside instead - doors were very late opening - look at the foyer

IMGP0333.jpg

He teased us a bit with GK - put in some unexpected pauses; then into Lady Jane, sung beautifully (but I still don't like the lyrics:naughty:)

I can't remember the exact order of the songs - someone must have a setlist - but he promised a mixture of old and new songs, and that was what we got. All the songs from the EP, of which Toy Boy was by far the best, but at long last Lonely Alcoholic live. And Billy Brown, SITM etc

Lovely versions of Over My Shoulder and Happy Ending, with backing from Ida and Alexander. Then he started Any Other World but seemed to confuse the orchestra by not being in the right key, because they didn't come in on time (Martin frantically trying to give the right key) but rather than stop and start again, Mika just abandoned the whole thing :tears:

I never thought I'd say this, but Rain was one of the highlights of the evening for me. He has utterly transformed that song from what it was at PdP.

And the acoustic version of Relax. Sheer bliss.:wub2:

Ooh I like that picture:naughty:Those people in the middle hugging each other, those 2 in the back at the left rubbing their chin while spying on everyone..:roftl:

Thank you everyone for everything!

I lost my net connection and only now started reading this thread!

Rosie, what did he say about your dress woman?

Nothing - she changed her mind and didn't wear it :sneaky2:

:mf_rosetinted: Though, to be critical, he did seem to rush through everything quickly - it wouldn't have hurt to slow the pace down a bit, especially around the slower songs. But he gave you no time to savour the impact of a sad song before he had started on the next fast song.

:mf_rosetinted: Though, to be critical, he did seem to rush through everything quickly - it wouldn't have hurt to slow the pace down a bit, especially around the slower songs. But he gave you no time to savour the impact of a sad song before he had started on the next fast song.

So new word for Mikationary: Mikarush tempo (opposite to Mikasoon)...:naughty:

The JourneyJust

I just got home and still feel like it was all a dream!

My day did not start off well and instead of arriving in London at 2pm as planned I arrived at almost 5.30pm! Jumped straight on tube to SW with case and all!

Got changed in the toilets (got some odd looks whist doing my makeup!)

First of all it was fab to see people I haven't seen in over 12 months, even longer in some cases. Also nice to be able to talk to people I should have met ages ago without thinking "I'm going to lose my spot n the queue".

Biggest disappointment of the night was that FD didn't wear a dress!

I was certainly more dressed up than most people but after a few "You look great" comments I decided not to worry about that. Thanks guys.

Was approached by a few people asking if I was from the MFC and asking how they join etc so I've been spreading the word! lol. Also a few people saying "I'm part of the MFC but don't know anyone" so tried to make them feel at home and point out people.

The Support

Okay so went in and couldn't believe how close we were to the stage. Was thrilled to be in 2nd row but wouldn't have minded been further back at that venue.

Thought Blue Roses were good, not really my sort of music but clearly talented and friendly, even with the technical issues! Poor girl!

Brian May

I decided a toilet tip would be wise before Mika came on (oh what a joy to be able to do that!) and Fred said to me "Look it's Brian May" I totally didn't believe him! But on the way back I took a better look and realised it was. Said a Quick "Hi" and told him that I hoped he enjoyed the show. :) Seemed really nice.

The show

I won't go thro the whole Mika performance but safe to say it was best gig I have ever been to. Didn't take many vids or pictures because was just too busy enjoying it!

Lady Jane and Over My shoulder made me cry, and I just couldn't help it. Breath-taking.

My heart nearly stopped when he started to play Lonely Alcoholic and if my scream effects any vids I'm sorry!

Acoustic Relax send shivers down my spine, think it is possibilly my fav song accoustically.

The stage invasion

I'd decided before the gig that if a SI happened I'd stay in my seat, far too dangerous for someone like me who isn't steady on my feet. When Loiipop when by without one I thought that he'd decided not to do it, the stage was pretty high.

When the first person (sorry don't know your name) went up it was with a clear indication from Mika. BUT as far as I saw there was no indication that anyone else was invited. Mika seemed to be happy enough at first but then he got pushed back, we couldn't see him from the stalls so he climbed aboard his piano. The woman who grabbed him changed the atmosphere and Mika did looked kinda annoyed by that.

Meet and Greet

I think this went differently depending on where in the queue you were. Because of a varitey of reasons I ended up at the end, wasn't bothered and more than willing to wait.

Got annoyed that some people started joining the end to try to see him again. Then Mika started coming down the line pretty quickly. I got pushed out of the way but the nicer of the security guards noticed and made sure I ot to say hi. I'd heard that he wasn't signing but had my copy of Dodgy Holiday in my hand just in case (wouldn't have asked but waited to see). I ot a huge smile which made my numb feet worth it. I got a little rub on my shoulder and he said "You look great!" That made my year! Lol! Gave him my DH EP to sign and got another grin whist he said "You're not really supposed to have this" (What os it with artists tellin me that!) but it was in a joking away. Didn't get chance to reply as was already getting shoved out of the way but got a last smile and maybe it was my imaination but he seemed to roll his eyes! Lol!

All in all an amazing night, thrilled to have been there and just upset it's over!

You're heart got broken, to your surprise...you're sick of crying...for Andy:roftl:

Funny, I was just listening to Blue Eyes!:naughty:

I don't care, Mika still loves me:roftl:

Awwwww, Rosie you should have worn it...;(

How was it Silver??

Just started reading, know nothing about it yet....

I really wanted to, but after my stomach flared up agin Saturday night, same thing that I had during the week of the LA gig, I was worried about getting there at all.

So Sunday I spent the whole day just drinking hot drinks and water, had some toast in the evening, just to see if I could hold it down, that went okay, so I thought I'd play it by ear. When Mondays temps for the evening weren't so good, I thought I'd go with plan B.

Don't want to go through another week of THAT again!

The stage invasion

I'd decided before the gig that if a SI happened I'd stay in my seat, far too dangerous for someone like me who isn't steady on my feet. When Loiipop when by without one I thought that he'd decided not to do it, the stage was pretty high.

When the first person (sorry don't know your name) went up it was with a clear indication from Mika. BUT as far as I saw there was no indication that anyone else was invited. Mika seemed to be happy enough at first but then he got pushed back, we couldn't see him from the stalls so he climbed aboard his piano. The woman who grabbed him changed the atmosphere and Mika did looked kinda annoyed by that.

Can I just point out that this is the way the stage invasions have gone all along? Mika beckons (or pulls up) one or two people, and the rest go by themselves. Then he just dances around and ends up on top of the piano, which can be seen in the other gig videos during Lollipop.

I guess that what I'm trying to say is that it was just 'business as usual' as far as I have seen, and that the reason why he got on the piano last night was the same reason why he got on the piano all the other nights during the stage invasion. I think that he does it in order to distance himself from the mob and avoid issues (not that these can ever be totally avoided, as we've seen, with people grabbing his leg, but hey)

I was shocked to see some girl stroke his leg while he was on the piano though. :shocked: WTF?

Stroking and running up to him to hug him is totally out of order IMO, but we've already discussed this.

When I went on stage, both in Milan and last night, I made a point of going to the back of the stage and staying away from Mika, because that is what I think is respectful.

I suppose that I will just never understand people who can't show some basic respect and politeness, but that is life. The same applies to the pushy ones in the queue, etc, etc... There are always chancers in life.

On this note, it's also worth mentioning that when we got to our seats at the front I had to tell a few people to go away because they were standing there, perched against the stage, with all their stuff included!!!

I told them that this was a seated venue, everyone had their spot, and they could not just stand there against the stage in front of us as if it was a GA venue, because people were behind them and it wasn't fair. It's utterly unbelievable what some people try to get away with.

Bab also had to tell some people to get out of her seat, as they were happily sitting there when we went in! Of course they looked surprised and when asked to produce their tickets these had totally different seat numbers (duh).

Honestly, I don't get it. Why can people not be normal? Respectful? Polite? Etc, etc... The world would be a better place and I wouldn't spend my life telling people off :roftl:.

Can I just point out that this is the way the stage invasions have gone all along? Mika beckons (or pulls up) one or two people, and the rest go by themselves. Then he just dances around and ends up on top of the piano, which can be seen in the other gig videos during Lollipop.

I don't doubt that, I haven't watched any of the other videos so I can't comment on them, ( was determind not to know what was coming) this was just my observation from last night. Not intented to be postive or negative in any fashion, just what I saw, pure and simple! :thumb_yello:

In previous gigs (prior to this tour) Mika has given indication that everybody was welcome to come up (I've seen him help several people up them wave for more to join him) but it didn't seem that way last night. But only the man himsefl knows what he intended or how he felt about it :wink2:

Edited by Mikafish