MIKA @ Sadlers Wells, London - June 8 2009 - Gig Reports, Photos & Videos

Blue Sky

Jules, great to see all your pictures, thanks for sharing!!

Found this thanks to Twitter:

_45891907_mika_466.jpg

With his Louboutins.

Full report here (I wonder if this is actually new, hard to find the date, and it doesn't mention the show, although it has a picture....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/music/newsid_8091000/8091260.stm

The BBC article is date 9 June - 13:15 UK at the top - ie absolutely up-to-date new :thumb_yello:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes he did!:mf_lustslow: After the support I went quickly to the loo. On the way back I noticed Brian May standing in the hall with a few people. I came up to him - he's always been my idol - and just said: 'Oh myGod! Brian May! How great to see you here!':mf_lustslow: I told him my name and that I've always been a fan and I asked if I could take a photo with him. He said that he wouldn't like to attract attention but was sooo nice. I said: 'Of course i respect that. I always wanted to shake your hand and I did that!' And he was like.... sorry for the photo again.... and said: 'But maybe I can buy you a drink instead?' - he was drinking beer himself. I said: 'Beer, Brian May and Mika in one place - too dangerous for me':naughty: I thanked him again and we shook hands for the second time and I went to my seat, not believing what just happened:aah:

Aaah that's awesome:biggrin2:

Yeah I know... I thought I said that I would not like it :blink:...

I was just saying that I don't like people I know touching me much, so it would really annoy me if someone I had never met touched me like that...

I know you did, I just wanted to quote you so I could say ass whooping because I like to say that:roftl:

Jules, great to see all your pictures, thanks for sharing!!

Found this thanks to Twitter:

_45891907_mika_466.jpg

With his Louboutins.

Full report here (I wonder if this is actually new, hard to find the date, and it doesn't mention the show, although it has a picture....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/music/newsid_8091000/8091260.stm

Love this article and the definition given of Toy Boy for instance.

The person who hugged Mika onstage has written a blog:

http://www.allaboutyou.com/social/outthereblog?plckController=Blog&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&userId=c0721d96-c010-42f2-90f3-f1e6f845be0c&plckPostId=Blog%3ac0721d96-c010-42f2-90f3-f1e6f845be0cPost%3a6d65dd0b-5295-4004-89c1-34be9b518776&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest

She ends with:

I will send this review along to Mika's website and I hope Mika gets to read this... Mika, I'm sorry if I gave you a bit of shock last night (gave myself one to be honest).

But was she the only one? I mean, I got the impression he was "cornered", and maybe I misinterpreted that but I kind of thought there were a few people mobbing him.

Anyway, my concern about the stage invasions is also from a legal point of view. If someone did get injured, they might decide to sue Mika. Not good news! I remember someone sued Dame Edna Everage because they got hit in the eye by a gladioli that she threw into the crowd. And that's something she'd been doing for ages.

Wait, before we load up the catapult, are we SURE it was her that cornered Mika?? Isn't it possible that because so many people got up on the stage that several others managed a quick hug as well???

Just a saying..

It's possible... Leator saw them so if he happens to come on maybe he could see if it was her...

Aaah that's awesome:biggrin2:

I know you did, I just wanted to quote you so I could say ass whooping because I like to say that:roftl:

Ooooooh, okay then! :doh:

Feel free to quote me and say ass whooping... as long as you're not going to do it to me!

I might've mentioned earlier that if there were rude people I was gonna kick some arse...

Anyways, nighty night ladies..

It's possible... Leator saw them so if he happens to come on maybe he could see if it was her...

That's the worst culprit - I recognise the picture - she deliberately blocked him in to go for the hug - it was an awkward moment but Mika was his usual gentlemanly self.

Wait, before we load up the catapult, are we SURE it was her that cornered Mika?? Isn't it possible that because so many people got up on the stage that several others managed a quick hug as well???

Just a saying..

No, it was her.

From her account, that's the woman I saw pinning him, I saw her push her kids on stage, she did that on our side.

And for her information Mika didn't pull people up, they got up on they're own, I was watching, on the offchance he might do that this time, I might have got up there.

And I might have pulled her off if I'd been up there, I 'd never be so presumptious as to think I could do that, I'd ask him for a hug and leave it up to him.

Ooooooh, okay then! :doh:

Feel free to quote me and say ass whooping... as long as you're not going to do it to me!

I might've mentioned earlier that if there were rude people I was gonna kick some arse...

Anyways, nighty night ladies..

Ass whooping:mf_rosetinted:

I'd never do that to you:roftl:

No, it was her.

From her account, that's the woman I saw pinning him, I saw her push her kids on stage, she did that on our side.

And for her information Mika didn't pull people up, they got up on they're own, I was watching, on the offchance he might do that this time, I might have got up there.

And I might have pulled her off if I'd been up there, I 'd never be so presumptious as to think I could do that, I'd ask him for a hug and leave it up to him.

Thanks Rose.. Well, all I can say is she doesn't see it how we see it anyway. I don't condone it, but it comes with the territory I'm afraid. We'll just have to start getting up there and be Mika's dancing security..

Perhaps Mika thought he was safe with so many MFCers. That's a refreshing thought.

Here's Relax (including my very ungraceful 'loading' onto the stage) and it's clear that only one woman (whose hair looks like the one in the blog picture) hugged Mika:

By the way, even though Mika didn't pull anyone up physically (which he didn't do in Milan either, he just beckoned us to go) it does look here like he responds to Aurelien's gesture by inviting him up with his hand.

No, it was her.

It's just plain rude and disrespectful and her blog entry doesn't convince she's really sorry. She left the part of blocking him out. Not that I was there, but I can get really angry when I hear things like this. Like in Amsterdam, José posted a pic of a woman touching his hair when he was signing something, and I get really mad, because he's not a public 'thing'. Yes, he's a public person, but he deserves respect and he's not getting it by people just touching him.

Thanks Rose.. Well, all I can say is she doesn't see it how we see it anyway. I don't condone it, but it comes with the territory I'm afraid. We'll just have to start getting up there and be Mika's dancing security..

Perhaps Mika thought he was safe with so many MFCers. That's a refreshing thought.

This is why I think he should, he really does want people dancing on stage with him, do it in a more planned way, like I mentioned earlier.

I noticed Chickadee mention the legal ramifications about this. I was thinking too that the insurance may not cover it either. I'm pretty certain most insurers don't cover stage invasions, so that would mean any potential injury lawsuit would come out of the artists own pocket?

Sara could you help with this one?

I honestly don't think the vast majority of the MFC would attack him like that. Yeah he should hire us as bodyguards...I did karate:roftl:

This is my London gig report:

I was the first person to arrive at Sadler´s Wells, at 3:00 p.m 5 hours before the show. The fact that I was finally going to see Mika in person after 3 years was still so surreal to me I was ironically not excited. I was so surprised that I didn´t have butterflies in my stomach or anything like that. When we (my two cousins that took me) arrived, an instinct made me open one of the doors next to the elevators just becuase. No reason at all, really I just felt like I wanted to go inside. And then guess who was in there.....yes..MIKA. I had just entered the stall area of the arena, stadium, or what else you want to call it. What I felt when I saw Mika sitting on that piano talking into the microphone is undescribable. The second I saw him I burst into tears and immeadiately covered my mouth to not make any noise. I sneaked in a little more and sat on one of the stall seats, just staring at him rehearse. I saw the entire set of the show and he was still wearing his normal clothes, big pants and a t-shirt. There was a few people there, but nobody saw me really. I saw Cherisse at the drums and ES DEVLIN!!! which I couldn´t believe because she is such a talented woman and I admire her so much, she´s so tiny.

Both my cousins were outside the door cracking it open a little to look inside very quietly. A few minutes later, a lady came and told us we couldn´t be in there. I should have stayed but it was obvious I was with them. I covered my mouth with my coat and the tears just kept running, I had just seen Mika in person. He wasnt a photo in my specially labeled Mika folder, or a video on youtube, it was really him,singing, talking, wakling, being beautiful. Those few minutes watching him were so incredible i was so extremely happy.

After that we sat in some red couches that were in the lobby. I was the only person there for Mika´s show that night. About two hours later I spotted some MFCers outside and kind of felt relieved. More and more people kept coming as hours passed, I bought the EP and looked through it for a good amount of time. My feet were in unbearable pain because I refused to sit down for most of the time. THEN it was finally 8 p.m and doors OPENED!! Finally. I went inside and took my 11th row seats that have a very nice story behind them, and patiently waited. I went to the stage and put the framed wedding photo of Mika and I there.

After the first performance there was intermission and I took my photo away because there was a lot of changing being done to the stage and I was afraid the cleaning crew would take it. The opening band, Blue roses, were really great and gave me chills. They played about four songs, then intermission, then a sneak peak of Mika´s stage set (which I had already seen!!!) then lights out and everyone sitting down. I wont go into detail about the show itself, but it was INCREDIBLE. I cried nonstop for about the first 15 minutes whilst simultaneously screaming out every single lyric of every single song. Nobody around me knew any of the words, so I bet i got tons of weird stares since I was singing/screaming and dancing/jumping in my seat. There was a point when everyone in stalls stood up, thats when i ran to the front of the stage, i was one person behind from the stage.

I don´t remmember what song Mika was singing but I was singing along and jumping with one arm out to him with my eyes still so teary. He got close to the edge of the stage and looked at me and smirked because I was a wreck, then reached his arm out and grabbed my hand. How can I describe what i felt when he did that? I can´t.. it was that amazing. He is really gorgeous up close, and even from 11th row. The atmosphere was incredible throughout the entire show. When it finished, I was not at all dissapointed, I was so excited. I knew that wouldn´t be the last time I would see Mika, it was the best first time ever.

The meet and greet was a fraction of the time it took to wait for it to happen. I was pretty close to the beginning of the que. I was freezing cold and my feet were numb but i held on to my EP and just waited as long as I had to. It felt like I waited for ages until Cherisse came out and i yelled "OH MY GOD CHERISSE" and everyone was cheering , she didnt walk down the que but I saw her from far, she is soooo tiny. After about another 10 minutes MIKA finally came out and that´s when my heart really started racing. My cousins were on the other side of the street waitting for him to come out so they can run over and take pictures. I could see his hair walking above everyone else´s heads. When he finally got to me, he seemed so overwhelmed and exhausted I didn´t ask for an autograph. I said to him " can I just have a hug? " and he said " a hug? sure! ", then you can guess what happened next. I hugged Mika Penniman. I never thought I would be able to say that and not be lying. I followed him down the que until I got close enough to give him the marriage photo that i printed and framed for him. I handed it to him and said " i made this for you ", he saw it for a bit and laughed (!!!!!) then looked at me and said " are we getting married? ", while in shock that he just spoke to me, I laughed and jokingly said yes. He used the frame for the rest of the que to help sign other people´s things.

I am still digesting everything that happened to me last night and I know it won´t hit me until a few days. Im so thankful for everything . I came to London from Florida and all the effort and money and time that has been put into this journey was all for Mika, and he has made everything worth it. Even though he doesn´t know it, and he might never, he has made my life complete. This is so much more than " I love mika he´s so cute and talented ", he really is an enormous part of my life and the most inspirational person I have ever met. If i can tell him anything at all I would thank him for all the efforts he makes in his career, and thank him for being so devoted, and especially thank him for changing my life.

The only real goal Ive ever had was to meet Mika, and I reached it.

This was more of a personal report than an informative one really. Thanks for reading and thanks to everyone who was there last night because you all made everything so exciting and memorable. Especially thanks to all the MFCers who went, you are all so friendly and I really admire it. Thanks to Marie-Therese for being so generous. Also thanks to the tall blonde kid who jumped on stage first, that really made my night.

This is why I think he should, he really does want people dancing on stage with him, do it in a more planned way, like I mentioned earlier.

I noticed Chickadee mention the legal ramifications about this. I was thinking too that the insurance may not cover it either. I'm pretty certain most insurers don't cover stage invasions, so that would mean any potential injury lawsuit would come out of the artists own pocket?

I agree.

Someone mentioned Mika being a risk taker, and all I can think of is "Am I playing with fire?"

I honestly don't think the vast majority of the MFC would attack him like that. Yeah he should hire us as bodyguards...I did karate:roftl:

Me too! He should hire us. Hell, I'd do it for free. :ninja:

We wouldn't attack Mika for two reasons.

1, We have respect for Mika's personal space, and ourselves.

2, We know how much of a telling off we'd get back home on the ranch (MFC) :teehee:

He should have security ready and only a limited amount of people on stage. 5 maybe, no more. He needs to take his own safety and that of others careful.

I was the first person to arrive at Sadler´s Wells, at 3:00 p.m 5 hours before the show. The fact that I was finally going to see Mika in person after 3 years was still so surreal to me I was ironically not excited. I was so surprised that I didn´t have butterflies in my stomach or anything like that. When we (my two cousins that took me) arrived, an instinct made me open one of the doors next to the elevators just becuase. No reason at all, really I just felt like I wanted to go inside. And then guess who was in there.....yes..MIKA. I had just entered the stall area of the arena, stadium, or what else you want to call it. What I felt when I saw Mika sitting on that piano talking into the microphone is undescribable. The second I saw him I burst into tears and immeadiately covered my mouth to not make any noise. I sneaked in a little more and sat on one of the stall seats, just staring at him rehearse. I saw the entire set of the show and he was still wearing his normal clothes, big pants and a t-shirt. There was a few people there, but nobody saw me really. I saw Cherisse at the drums and ES DEVLIN!!! which I couldn´t believe because she is such a talented woman and I admire her so much, she´s so tiny.

Both my cousins were outside the door cracking it open a little to look inside very quietly. A few minutes later, a lady came and told us we couldn´t be in there. I should have stayed but it was obvious I was with them. I covered my mouth with my coat and the tears just kept running, I had just seen Mika in person. He wasnt a photo in my specially labeled Mika folder, or a video on youtube, it was really him,singing, talking, wakling, being beautiful. Those few minutes watching him were so incredible i was so extremely happy.

After that we sat in some red couches that were in the lobby. I was the only person there for Mika´s show that night. About two hours later I spotted some MFCers outside and kind of felt relieved. More and more people kept coming as hours passed, I bought the EP and looked through it for a good amount of time. My feet were in unbearable pain because I refused to sit down for most of the time. THEN it was finally 8 p.m and doors OPENED!! Finally. I went inside and took my 11th row seats that have a very nice story behind them, and patiently waited. I went to the stage and put the framed wedding photo of Mika and I there.

After the first performance there was intermission and I took my photo away because there was a lot of changing being done to the stage and I was afraid the cleaning crew would take it. The opening band, Blue roses, were really great and gave me chills. They played about four songs, then intermission, then a sneak peak of Mika´s stage set (which I had already seen!!!) then lights out and everyone sitting down. I wont go into detail about the show itself, but it was INCREDIBLE. I cried nonstop for about the first 15 minutes whilst simultaneously screaming out every single lyric of every single song. Nobody around me knew any of the words, so I bet i got tons of weird stares since I was singing/screaming and dancing/jumping in my seat. There was a point when everyone in stalls stood up, thats when i ran to the front of the stage, i was one person behind from the stage.

I don´t remmember what song Mika was singing but I was singing along and jumping with one arm out to him with my eyes still so teary. He got close to the edge of the stage and looked at me and smirked because I was a wreck, then reached his arm out and grabbed my hand. How can I describe what i felt when he did that? I can´t.. it was that amazing. He is really gorgeous up close, and even from 11th row. The atmosphere was incredible throughout the entire show. When it finished, I was not at all dissapointed, I was so excited. I knew that wouldn´t be the last time I would see Mika, it was the best first time ever.

The meet and greet was a fraction of the time it took to wait for it to happen. I was pretty close to the beginning of the que. I was freezing cold and my feet were numb but i held on to my EP and just waited as long as I had to. It felt like I waited for ages until Cherisse came out and i yelled "OH MY GOD CHERISSE" and everyone was cheering , she didnt walk down the que but I saw her from far, she is soooo tiny. After about another 10 minutes MIKA finally came out and that´s when my heart really started racing. My cousins were on the other side of the street waitting for him to come out so they can run over and take pictures. I could see his hair walking above everyone else´s heads. When he finally got to me, he seemed so overwhelmed and exhausted I didn´t ask for an autograph. I said to him " can I just have a hug? " and he said " a hug? sure! ", then you can guess what happened next. I hugged Mika Penniman. I never thought I would be able to say that and not be lying. I followed him down the que until I got close enough to give him the marriage photo that i printed and framed for him. I handed it to him and said " i made this for you ", he saw it for a bit and laughed (!!!!!) then looked at me and said " are we getting married? ", while in shock that he just spoke to me, I laughed and jokingly said yes. He used the frame for the rest of the que to help sign other people´s things.

I am still digesting everything that happened to me last night and I know it won´t hit me until a few days. Im so thankful for everything . I came to London from Florida and all the effort and money and time that has been put into this journey was all for Mika, and he has made everything worth it. Even though he doesn´t know it, and he might never, he has made my life complete. This is so much more than " I love mika he´s so cute and talented ", he really is an enormous part of my life and the most inspirational person I have ever met. If i can tell him anything at all I would thank him for all the efforts he makes in his career, and thank him for being so devoted, and especially thank him for changing my life.

This was more of a personal report than an informative one really. Thanks for reading and thanks to everyone who was there last night because you all made everything so exciting and memorable. Especially thanks to all the MFCers who went, you are all so friendly and I really admire it. Thanks to Marie-Therese for being so generous. Also thanks to the tall blonde kid who jumped on stage first, that really made my night.

Awww, I read your report with a smile on my face:biggrin2: Reminds me of my first time seeing Mika:wub2: Glad you had an amazing time!

I agree.

Me too! He should hire us. Hell, I'd do it for free. :ninja:

We wouldn't attack Mika for two reasons.

1, We have respect for Mika's personal space, and ourselves.

2, We know how much of a telling off we'd get back home on the ranch (MFC) :teehee:

I'd even pay him for it:roftl:

Exactly, especially point 2 is what scares me:mf_rosetinted::roftl:

You see, this proves my point, manners costs nothing, and gets a positive result. That lady on the stage, could learn from you.

Great report, he is a sweetheart isn't he?

Awww, I read your report with a smile on my face:biggrin2: Reminds me of my first time seeing Mika:wub2: Glad you had an amazing time!

I'd even pay him for it:roftl:

Exactly, especially point 2 is what scares me:mf_rosetinted::roftl:

Only one thing scares me more than my sister, and that's the wrath of the MFC!:naughty:

Boy am I tired.

Gig report first.

So nice not to have to queue - except that they kept us waiting inside instead - doors were very late opening - look at the foyer

IMGP0333.jpg

He teased us a bit with GK - put in some unexpected pauses; then into Lady Jane, sung beautifully (but I still don't like the lyrics:naughty:)

I can't remember the exact order of the songs - someone must have a setlist - but he promised a mixture of old and new songs, and that was what we got. All the songs from the EP, of which Toy Boy was by far the best, but at long last Lonely Alcoholic live. And Billy Brown, SITM etc

Lovely versions of Over My Shoulder and Happy Ending, with backing from Ida and Alexander. Then he started Any Other World but seemed to confuse the orchestra by not being in the right key, because they didn't come in on time (Martin frantically trying to give the right key) but rather than stop and start again, Mika just abandoned the whole thing :tears:

I never thought I'd say this, but Rain was one of the highlights of the evening for me. He has utterly transformed that song from what it was at PdP.

And the acoustic version of Relax. Sheer bliss.:wub2:

The stage invasion

From what I could see, it looked like Aurelien had asked to go up on stage - then more MFCers joined in, then others. I think it happened because we had seen that was what had happened elsewhere. Not too sure if it was actually what Mika wanted/intended. He certainly had to force his way out of the crowd at the end and did not look happy..

The stage invasion

From what I could see, it looked like Aurelien had asked to go up on stage - then more MFCers joined in, then others. I think it happened because we had seen that was what had happened elsewhere. Not too sure if it was actually what Mika wanted/intended. He certainly had to force his way out of the crowd at the end and did not look happy..

From the vid I've seen (sariflor), it does look like he gestured someone to get on stage. In Brussels however, he just pulled someone on stage, so it was clear that was his intention :aah:

btw, thx for the report! I agree, I never really cared too much for rain, but loved this version:thumb_yello: