Mika in Munich 13.9.09, exclusive radio gig

mellody

I see where you're coming from, Sara, but at the same time I disagree.

The sponsors/promoters behind any given ticket giveaway will make it abundantly clear if the competition is strictly for people of one country, or if others may enter. And if the competition rules say others may enter, or if winners are chosen from other countries, I don't think anyone from another nation should feel any sort of guilt for entering.

Honestly, how many fans are willing to travel for a last-minute gig? Look at how many people couldn't attend the iTunes gig, or had to cancel, because it was so last-minute. I just can't imagine the numbers are high enough to make a massive difference to "locals" who would like to go. We're a long, long way from a situation where "every fan that Mika has in the world decides to go to all of these".

And it's all well and good to say you'd be happy to step aside and let Finnish fans apply for tickets to a gig in Finland - but the reverse obviously can't be true. One simply needs to count how many times Mika's played the UK in the past 24 months, compared to how many times he's played Finland.

Also - how is someone from outside the UK winning tickets to a BBC thing so very different from someone from the UK (or Canada, for that matter) getting a golden wristband to a tiny capacity secret gig in LA? Because the BBC funds the former? IMHO, that doesn't make much difference. Either way you slice it, for the Roxy gig you and I did indeed "take tickets away" (so to speak) from Los Angeles-based fans who may have wanted to be there.

I'm not trying to upset anyone, I just find that this whole "home gig" line of thinking really rubs me the wrong way. And that's definitely personal bias coming into play - I've seen Mika just once in my home country, and I'd have been really hurt if someone at any of the other gigs had told me it was "bad form" to be at a gig in another country. (Although those were almost all gigs where tickets were available to buy, so maybe you see those situations differently.) We're all Mika fans, obviously a tiny sub-section of diehard fans - why do we need to play the "home gig" card?

In a contest situation the sponsors/promoters will decide who can enter, and if someone from outside their targeted region enters, it's up to the sponsor/promoter to weed those people out before announcing winners, no? :blink:

This is not about "playing the home gig card" at all. If I had something against people traveling to see Mika gigs all over the place I would not only be an idiot but also a very hypocritical one, given the amount of traveling that I've done to see him :blink:.

Here, I'm not talking about 'normal' gigs where one buys a ticket to get in; I'm talking about special events organised by private entities, such as radio stations, etc... If it'sa normal gig where one buys a ticket, then it's all fair game, anyone can go and get their ticket, and I'm not obnoxious enough to say that nobody but the people who happen to live there should go to those gigs. I'm not defending the 'home gig' concept to that extent.

This is different. It's about a particular radio or TV station organising an event.

It's about some fans who are left out and don't get to win tickets (Marylin Mastin and Sparkly spring to mind right now but I'm sure that there are plenty more), who live right there, who are paying their licence fee with which this event is funded, who miss out on the gig just because people from everywhere are applying.

So, it doesn't 'specifically' say that only locals should apply-Even though it's not spelled out as such, this is pretty obvious to see when they don't offer a 'Country' box and only the UK address details fill the box nicely.

The fact that people from other places are winning is just due to the fact that they have obviously done this at random, and not due to the fact that they saw applicants from other countries and said: oh cool, let's bring these people in!

They want people who will be certain to make the show, as they are looking for an audience. This is why they will always prefer people who don't have huge impediments in their way to get there.

If we were discussing a normal gig it would be a totally different thing. Then it's fair game, and if I fancied a gig in Munich I'd buy a ticket and go. But this is not a normal gig where hundreds or thousands of fans all have the same fair chance to get a ticket- It's just a small event and to me it makes no sense that these local German guys are left out because I decide to apply and get lucky. And obviously the same goes for the BBC thing, or the Belgian radio thing.

You bring The Roxy up...I believe that this was slightly different. Didn't Team Mika say that they would give MFC tickets? Didn't even Perez tell the world to get themselves to LA for those dates so that they could go to the show?

I realise that this is not a popular subject, and that many people have opinions which they don't post, but believe me, I'm not the only one who thinks this way at all :wink2:.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying what people 'should' or should not do; I'm saying what I consider good form to do.

Each of these gigs will be slighly different, but all in all IMO they are similar in one way: They are small, done in a certain place, and funded by someone. In this case it's probably the radio station I guess?

The fact that one of the questions that one has to fill in in order to apply for tickets to this is 'Which part of Bavaria you live in' to me already says it all.

It's a bit like the BBC R2 one, which also asked for your County information and the format of the address was obviously British. In addition to this, the Radio 2 event is funded by the BBC, which in turn is funded by (us) the British BBC licence fee payers...So it does seem a bit unfair to me that some people who are here, paying the BBC licence fee, listening to that radio station (which is how they found out about the gig) will miss out, because the world and their dog have decided to apply to see if they are lucky in the draw and get tickets.

Besides this, which is (I find) the obvious and logical part of it, I think that it would just be nice to let the locals or people who these gigs mostly "apply to" go to them. If every fan that Mika has in the world decides to go to all of these, they will quickly be filled up with everyone from around the world and the locals (who the gig was initially meant for) will not manage to go.

The Belgian radio gig is open to people who are on a certain mobile phone company- I see a trend here, and that is why I think that we should just let the people who 'qualify' go to these gigs and not try and all go to them.

So yes, if there was a competition in Finland, I personally would be happy to let the Finns go to it and not try and go there myself, if that answers your question.

I wish you wouldn't do that. I can explain. I went to see Madonna in Helsinki. It was a terrible waste of money and time! 85 000 people, most of them Finns, and still not enough people to know words of her songs... And I thought she is quite a star :shocked: And I was thinking, we are so lucky, if Mika ever comes to Finland, it is not like that. I will have enough MFCers from all the world to sing with me. But don't worry, he won't come to Finland in near future :teehee:

I don't know if I will come to Blackpool or not. I thought I was lucky when I won the tickets (no, didn't use my dog's e-mail address, just my own...), but why would I come if I'm not welcome? It's not a nice feeling.

Edited by tiibet

Well, this is a complicated topic and I don't have enough time to analyse this situation in detail and post a long comment, so let me just write down the thing I think it is most important in this case.

If gigs are sponsored by a third party, I think it is their responsibility to make sure all winners meet the criteria they set for the application.

I think it would only count as 'cheating' if someone used the address of a friend / relative living in that area when applying.... (like what I could have done but did not do for he UK) :wink2:

I don't think that at the moment there is a real danger of dozens of people from abroad winning tickets to these gigs, becasue of the last minute announcements... However, if the odd MFCer from another country manages to get in, I still think it's still better than the receptionist at the sponsor company taking her grandma to the gig just because no one else would want to accompany her to the free gig. :cool:

Well, this is a complicated topic and I don't have enough time to analyse this situation in detail and post a long comment, so let me just write down the thing I think it is most important in this case.

If gigs are sponsored by a third party, I think it is their responsibility to make sure all winners meet the criteria they set for the application.

I think it would only count as 'cheating' if someone used the address of a friend / relative living in that area when applying.... (like what I could have done but did not do for he UK) :wink2:

I don't think that at the moment there is a real danger of dozens of people from abroad winning tickets to these gigs, becasue of the last minute announcements... However, if the odd MFCer from another country manages to get in, I still think it's still better than the receptionist at the sponsor company taking her grandma to the gig just because no one else would want to accompany her to the free gig. :cool:

I agree

And if the BBC didn't want people from Finland and France to come to the R2 thing they wouldn't have had winners openly from those countries. Both of which the BBC World Service almost certainly broadcasts too- quite possibly including this concert. If the Munich people want to specify its for Germans/Bavarians only, that's their choice- and I wouldn't encourage anyone to cheat to get one- but if they don't, I don't see why people shouldn't apply.

And higher demand, international demand for tickets will surely encourage UK and Munich organisers to plan more Mika events in their area, so the home fans are likely to win anyway

I never said that applying was cheating:wink2:; All I said was that I (personally) don't find it good form.

Yes, of course, I agree (obviously).

But the reason why I'm upset is because this is a different scenario. People like Marylin, Sparkly, and a few more did not win tickets. this is very different to just random people from the record company or the BBC going there to kill time.

I didn't win tickets either but was lucky to be offered one, and so were a few more local MFC'ers who didn't win them, so I'm not complaining for myself now, but it does sadden me that these people will now miss out as they were really looking forward to going.

I agree

And if the BBC didn't want people from Finland and France to come to the R2 thing they wouldn't have had winners openly from those countries. Both of which the BBC World Service almost certainly broadcasts too- quite possibly including this concert. If the Munich people want to specify its for Germans/Bavarians only, that's their choice- and I wouldn't encourage anyone to cheat to get one- but if they don't, I don't see why people shouldn't apply.

And higher demand, international demand for tickets will surely encourage UK and Munich organisers to plan more Mika events in their area, so the home fans are likely to win anyway

I'm quite sure that the winner picking selection was done randomly and without checking addresses.

Also, the question in the German gig competition about which part of Bavaria people come from is IMO very similar to the entry form for the BBC gig.

In the BBC competition, the area where one was supposed to enter their address details was clearly not giving the option to enter a country and instead asked for a County in the UK.

Surely I can't be the only one that sees that this is an implicit requisit for people applying to be UK residents?!

I never said that applying was cheating:wink2:; All I said was that I (personally) don't find it good form.

Yes, of course, I agree (obviously).

But the reason why I'm upset is because this is a different scenario. People like Marylin, Sparkly, and a few more did not win tickets. this is very different to just random people from the record company or the BBC going there to kill time.

I didn't win tickets either but was lucky to be offered one, and so were a few more local MFC'ers who didn't win them, so I'm not complaining for myself now, but it does sadden me that these people will now miss out as they were really looking forward to going.

I'm quite sure that the winner picking selection was done randomly and without checking addresses.

Also, the question in the German gig competition about which part of Bavaria people come from is IMO very similar to the entry form for the BBC gig.

In the BBC competition, the area where one was supposed to enter their address details was clearly not giving the option to enter a country and instead asked for a County in the UK.

Surely I can't be the only one that sees that this is an implicit requisit for people applying to be UK residents?!

No you're not. I agree, the form says it all. If it was meant for other countries it wouldn't say Bavaria, or which county in the case of the BBC one.

Obviously it's not against the guidlines though (the BBC one) so it remains a personal choice for non UKers I guess, whether I agree or not.

IMO if it was a paying gig, people wouldn't be so quick to apply.

I think sometimes people see the tickets are free and just apply anyway, as if they can't go they don't lose out.

I'd love to know how many of the 50 ticket fairy ticket holders actually turned up at the itunes gig and how many people's eyes were too big for their belly.

I would assume that if they didn't want "outsiders" there they'd put in some sort of control- manual or electronic

And, not wishing to offend the Bavarian radio station, I think the BBC might see themselves as international in a way that the Bavarians might not.

I'm very disappointed for the people who didn't get tickets- whether they're English or not- especially people who didn't manage to get to iTunes or SW

difficult topic, and each of you has a point in what they're saying. i also wouldn't be happy if the munich gig turned into a 2nd itunes, with everyone booking flights to get there, hoping for last minute tickets (ok it's different as there isn't the promise of a ticket fairy for this one, but still...). and for itunes it first said "UK only" too... but on the other hand, i'd prefer to share the experience with other mika fans instead of bored germans who don't even like mika and just go there cause it's for free.

so IMO everyone can apply, and it would be the responsibility of those who give out the tickets, to check the addresses if they want a certain audience. if that stays the only german gig though, i hope they won't just let ppl from bavaria win, but at least from all of germany (or german speaking area, if austria and switzerland don't get their own gigs).

i just wouldn't like it if people took part in the competition, won tickets and then decided not to go after all and just let the tix expire instead of giving them to other fans, this would not be fair.

btw, if this discussion goes on a bit longer, maybe the mods can move it to a seperate thread, so this one won't turn into a discussion thread about that topic? :wink2:

I subscribed for the newsletter on tuesday, but still didn´t get the newsletter to aply. Other people I know didn´t get the newsletter till yet. I´m so excited about the whole thing. Everything would be right, I have this weekend off.....

I subscribed for the newsletter on tuesday, but still didn´t get the newsletter to aply. Other people I know didn´t get the newsletter till yet. I´m so excited about the whole thing. Everything would be right, I have this weekend off.....

I wish you luck:thumb_yello:

Everything crossed for you:wink2:

I wish you luck:thumb_yello:

Everything crossed for you:wink2:

Thank you so much. Do you think the luck will find me for the second time? It would be so fantastic to see Mika again after missing him during the acustic tour. I would pay a lot of money, but it seems there are only gig you can see with a lot of luck. All we can do is wait and pray and drink tea.....

Thank you so much. Do you think the luck will find me for the second time? It would be so fantastic to see Mika again after missing him during the acustic tour. I would pay a lot of money, but it seems there are only gig you can see with a lot of luck. All we can do is wait and pray and drink tea.....

Oh yeah, drinking tea is good!:wub2:

Good luck everybody!:thumb_yello:

Good luck! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! Bet you didn't think you'd get another chance so soon!!

thank you for posting this wonderful news mellody!!! :flowers2:

it's not that far from where i live, it's on sunday and munich is a very nice city... mmmm it would be a wonderful end of summer mini-break!!!

i think i'm gonna try.. :aah::blush-anim-cl:

i read the discussion on the previous posts, and i think that you all have good points! it's hard!!

but i agree that it's up to the promoters deciding if allow foreigners or not, but i also think that ppl should apply only if they REALLY could go in case they win!!

e.g. for itunes i didn't apply any competition 'cause the flights were too expensive at that time and i couldn't go in any case, but i would this one 'cause i can reach munich by car and i could objectively be there..

good luck everybody!!!! :kachinga:

I didn't get it either. I hope we didn't miss the right issue :tears:

Yes, I know, I am sorry... I wasn't referring to any particular post with that. I should have said something like: 'However, if someone uses a friend's local address to apply, that is cheating ..' .... That was just a separate idea but I was in a hurry as usual. ..

I'd love to know how many of the 50 ticket fairy ticket holders actually turned up at the itunes gig and how many people's eyes were too big for their belly.

I'd love to know that, too... And I also believe there should be some internal MFC rule like you lose your chance of entering any similar give aways for a certain amount of time if you win something and not turn up or cancel it in the last minute...etc.

...but that's for a separate thread, as Mellody points out.

btw, if this discussion goes on a bit longer, maybe the mods can move it to a seperate thread, so this one won't turn into a discussion thread about that topic? :wink2:

... sorry to be off topic again with the above.

BTW, I suppose it is a regional radio station but does that mean that people in other parts of Germany have no reception of it? (only interested because it probably makes sense for promoters to approve applications from the region (Bavaria) where their listeners are based.

My opinion on the topic 'take part in competions to win tickets for a mika gig abroad or not' is very simple. I agree with a lot of what has been said before.

First, I think it is in the responsibility of the host or the party organizing the competition to make sure to allow only those people to win who meet the criteria that have been set and announced in the terms and conditions. I would think that, usually for a competition it should all be in there and it should make everything perfectly clear. (No, I haven't read the very conditions for the competition this thread is about, as I didn't even get the newsletter yet :roftl:, but it is what I would assume.)

Second, I have absolutely no problem with Mika fans from abroad winning tickets for Mika in Germany. I don't think it is an issue of where you're from. I wouldn't even go so far to say it is an issue of how much of a real true Mika fan you are and for how many years you've been supporting him and how much you therefore deserve to be in. It has been discussed so many times. Mika is for everyone. The world would be a better place if everyone had the chance to attend a Mika gig once every two months.

So no, I have absolutely no hard feelings towards any non German fan applying for these tickets. It's the opposite. The cross-cultural aspect is a HUGE part of what makes those gigs so very special to me. I never experienced anything like it before and to me it is something irrevocably linked to everything MIKA.

There are only two things I'd like to ask for. For the sake of anyone who won't be lucky:

First, please do not apply if you know you can't make it. Regardless if you live in Iceland and can't get a flight at short notice or if you live in Kreuzpullach and know you can't make it because you have to help haymaking that night.

Second, please don't book flight and accomodation if you don't draw any benefit out of a stay in Munich other than the chance of seeing Mika. I say that even though it wouldn't affect anyone else in a negative way. But I daresay, Mika is so available and all over the place that you'll get a proper chance to attend a gig near to your home without loss of money for a maybe.

There are only two things I'd like to ask for. For the sake of anyone who won't be lucky:

First, please do not apply if you know you can't make it. Regardless if you live in Iceland and can't get a flight at short notice or if you live in Kreuzpullach and know you can't make it because you have to help haymaking that night.

:thumb_yello:

Second, please don't book flight and accomodation if you don't draw any benefit out of a stay in Munich other than the chance of seeing Mika. I say that even though it wouldn't affect anyone else in a negative way. But I daresay, Mika is so available and all over the place that you'll get a proper chance to attend a gig near to your home without loss of money for a maybe.

...yes, it is bad timing as Oktoberfest won't start until 19th September...:teehee:...not any other possible benefit I can currently think of

:biggrin2:

But joke aside, this makes sense as well. Even for a normal gig I'd combine it with something else (e.g.sightseeing) but perhaps some other fans are less pragmatic.:wink2:

absolutely agree with this, and also with most of the other things you said. kreuzpullach, lol! :naughty: the only thing i wouldn't be happy about - cross-cultural or not - if mika plays in the city you live in, let's say munich, and especially if he's doing similar gigs in other cities, let's say brussels - if someone from brussels wins tickets for both gigs and a fan from munich can't go to the gig in their hometown. it doesn't necessarily mean that if the brussels fan hadn't applied, the munich fan would've won instead, but it would still feel somewhat unfair, don't you think? and if a lot of people from abroad apply, the chances for the munich fan to win might in fact become lower.

i think this is the point that those mean who find it unfair if ppl from abroad apply for tickets for these gigs. but it's a difficult topic, i can't see it black or white and decide for one point of view. i'd be totally happy if the 200-400 people at the munich gig were only from MFC and DMFC, from all over the world, but i'd also find it unfair if something happened like i mentioned above.

oh and btw as you said it wouldn't affect anyone in a negative way if ppl just travelled to a gig without having tickets - it might, if too many do it and the possible after show meeting for originally 10-20 fans turns into 50 or 100 fans...

about you not getting the newsletter yet, you didn't accidentially subsribe to the movie newsletter? the subscription box looks very similar...

and suzie, yes, it's a regional radio station only in bavaria. we don't really have any nation-wide radio stations in germany - well there are some, but it's just news and stuff like that. of course everyone can listen to all the stations via web radio or to some probably also via satellite or cable, but generally, every german state has their own radio station.

I have to agree with sariflor on this one....here are the TERMS AND CONDITIONS..which you tick the box to say you read...OBVIOUSLY SOME PEOPLE DIDN'T!

- Lines open at 1100 on Monday 10 August and close at 1900 on Sunday 16 August 2009

- Tickets are free

- Unfortunately we will only be able to notify you if your ticket application is successful

- Calls from a BT line cost the same as to 01 and 02 geographic numbers although calls from mobiles may be higher (some operators and mobiles vary)

- This ticket giveaway is not open to BBC employees, their close relatives or anyone connected with the event

- Only UK residents may apply. Tickets are free and cannot be resold. If you buy tickets from anyone they will not be valid.

- Only one application will be accepted per person per event. If successful, applicants will each receive one pair of tickets.

- Multiple applications will not be eligible for selection. Please do not request tickets if you think you may be unable to use them.

- Listeners who have secured a place will know they've been successful when they receive their tickets which will be mailed from Friday 21 August 2009.

- Entrance is subject to capacity. The BBC reserves the right to refuse admission

- The BBC reserves the right to cancel this event and ticket process at any stage, if deemed necessary in its opinion, and if circumstances arise outside of its control.

- The BBC reserves the right to change the line-up at any time.

- Should the event be cancelled or line-up changed, the BBC is not liable for any loss of money and expense incurred in travelling to the venue.

- Specific details relating to each event are published on the relevant page at http://www.bbc.co.uk/tickets

I can honestly say I couldn't care less about who goes to a "normal" buy a ticket..open to anyone gigs ...but when it stresses UK only then that IMHO should be the only people who actually SHOULD be applying.

What I do think is unfair is the ...Well why shouldn't we apply?...Because it states you shouldn't! That's why...no need to get angsty about it...that is how life is... we all can't have what we want all of the time.

Obviously someone in the office has made a mistake and Tiibet has been lucky that she "fell through the net" so to speak. But as Mellody and others have said If fans who are not from that specific country of the competition apply to their "country only gigs" it is the fans in that country that miss out through others being chancers.

Also I feel that fans get greedy when comes to tickets..The fact that the "ticket fairy"/MIKA's management gave some tickets to MFCers does not entitle anyone from any where to think as they are part of a fanclub they deserve/are entitled to tickets to every/any gig more than any other fan who isn't in the MFC.

I just wanted to clarify certain points ...as the topic of ..well the BBC must want people from anywhere to apply is actually NOT the case here.

I am not ranting or denying anyone from seeing MIKA at all just pointing out that people are getting carried away when the rules are there for all to see.

xx

Edited by daisylou
spelling!

My opinion on the topic 'take part in competions to win tickets for a mika gig abroad or not' is very simple. I agree with a lot of what has been said before.

First, I think it is in the responsibility of the host or the party organizing the competition to make sure to allow only those people to win who meet the criteria that have been set and announced in the terms and conditions. I would think that, usually for a competition it should all be in there and it should make everything perfectly clear. (No, I haven't read the very conditions for the competition this thread is about, as I didn't even get the newsletter yet :roftl:, but it is what I would assume.)

Second, I have absolutely no problem with Mika fans from abroad winning tickets for Mika in Germany. I don't think it is an issue of where you're from. I wouldn't even go so far to say it is an issue of how much of a real true Mika fan you are and for how many years you've been supporting him and how much you therefore deserve to be in. It has been discussed so many times. Mika is for everyone. The world would be a better place if everyone had the chance to attend a Mika gig once every two months.

So no, I have absolutely no hard feelings towards any non German fan applying for these tickets. It's the opposite. The cross-cultural aspect is a HUGE part of what makes those gigs so very special to me. I never experienced anything like it before and to me it is something irrevocably linked to everything MIKA.

Violet, I agree with your whole post, but I took two important parts of it. First of all, for me, the cross-cultural aspect is something amazing. I haven't experienced it on this level before, and I think it's something very special :wub2: I just can't imagine that I would tell other Mika-fans that they are not welcome to my country to see Mika (if there is a gig or a competition). I'm just surprised and sad when it happens to me.

And, people should not apply tickets they know they can't use. It's away from someone else, I think.

I have to agree with sariflor on this one....here are the TERMS AND CONDITIONS..which you tick the box to say you read...OBVIOUSLY SOME PEOPLE DIDN'T!

- Lines open at 1100 on Monday 10 August and close at 1900 on Sunday 16 August 2009

- Tickets are free

- Unfortunately we will only be able to notify you if your ticket application is successful

- Calls from a BT line cost the same as to 01 and 02 geographic numbers although calls from mobiles may be higher (some operators and mobiles vary)

- This ticket giveaway is not open to BBC employees, their close relatives or anyone connected with the event

- Only UK residents may apply. Tickets are free and cannot be resold. If you buy tickets from anyone they will not be valid.

- Only one application will be accepted per person per event. If successful, applicants will each receive one pair of tickets.

- Multiple applications will not be eligible for selection. Please do not request tickets if you think you may be unable to use them.

- Listeners who have secured a place will know they've been successful when they receive their tickets which will be mailed from Friday 21 August 2009.

- Entrance is subject to capacity. The BBC reserves the right to refuse admission

- The BBC reserves the right to cancel this event and ticket process at any stage, if deemed necessary in its opinion, and if circumstances arise outside of its control.

- Should the event be cancelled or line-up changed, the BBC is not liable for any loss of money and expense incurred in travelling to the venue.

- Specific details relating to each event are published on the relevant page at http://www.bbc.co.uk/tickets

I can honestly say I couldn't care less about who goes to a "normal" buy a ticket..open to anyone gigs ...but when it stresses UK only then that IMHO should be the only people who actually SHOULD be applying.

What I do think is unfair is the ...Well why shouldn't we apply?...Because it states you shouldn't! That's why...no need to get angsty about it...that is how life is... we all can't have what we want all of the time.

Obviously someone in the office has made a mistake and Tiibet has been lucky that she "fell through the net" so to speak. But as Mellody and others have said If fans who are not from that specific country of the competition apply to their "country only gigs" it is the fans in that country that miss out through others being chancers.

Also I feel that fans get greedy when comes to tickets..The fact that the "ticket fairy"/MIKA's management gave some tickets to MFCers does not entitle anyone from any where to think as they are part of a fanclub they deserve/are entitled to tickets to every/any gig more than any other fan who isn't in the MFC.

I just wanted to clarify certain points ...as the topic of ..well the BBC must want people from anywhere to apply is actually NOT the case here.

I am not ranting or denying anyone from seeing MIKA at all just pointing out that people are getting carried away when the rules are there for all to see.

xx

Daisylou, you are right, and it says there it's only for UK. But it wasn't that clear in the beginning. I just saw Kath's post about the gig, and decided to try my luck, like many other foreigners did. I didn't read terms and conditions, I admit that I didn't see that at all, I guess I never read them, they are too long and most of them are not important. I don't think I was particularly greedy at that time. It was afterwards people told it's UK only, and I think it's more clear now when he does these gigs in German and Belgium too.

I didn't think I was cheating applying these ticket, and that's why I was honest and told about it. I understand other winners don't want to tell about it, because there is a hard tone in this discussion :wink2: This was the only competition I took part of, and it doesn't feel fair everyone is mentioning my name as a greedy one. Just makes me sad :dunno:

Edited by tiibet

- Tickets are free

xx

Well, thanks for that Daisy. I knew that it was "obvious" to be that it was uK only, just judging on the nature of the competition and the fact that the UK address was the only option in order to fill the box, but this pretty much states it in black and white.

Nobody else can say anything about what the BBC "want" now. It's clear.

Violet, I agree with your whole post, but I took two important parts of it. First of all, for me, the cross-cultural aspect is something amazing. I haven't experienced it on this level before, and I think it's something very special :wub2: I just can't imagine that I would tell other Mika-fans that they are not welcome to my country to see Mika (if there is a gig or a competition). I'm just surprised and sad when it happens to me.

And, people should not apply tickets they know they can't use. It's away from someone else, I think.

Daisylou, you are right, and it says there it's only for UK. But it wasn't that clear in the beginning. I just saw Kath's post about the gig, and decided to try my luck, like many other foreigners did. I didn't read terms and conditions, I admit that, I never read them, they are too long and most of them are not important. I don't think I was particularly greedy at that time. It was afterwards people told it's UK only, and I think it's more clear now when he does these gigs in German and Belgium too.

I didn't think I was cheating applying these ticket, and that's why I was honest and told about it. I understand other winners don't want to tell about it, because there is a hard tone in this discussion :wink2: This was the only competition I took part of, and it doesn't feel fair everyone is mentioning my name as a greedy one. Just makes me sad :dunno:

Nina, I have met you personally (a few times now) and I know that you're a good girl. My posts were never a personal attack to you (just clarifying this in case you or someone else thought so).

The only reason why I have posted such a strong opinion on this topic is because I am very frustrated about the fact that this was a comp which was obviously limited to residents only, and now it turns out that some people (you and a few french fans that we know of, but I'm sure that some others who have not mentioned it now may appear on the day) have applied and won tickets, while uk'ers who live nearby did not win.

There are a few people from the UK who really wanted to go and have not won. Heck I was just very lucky cause someone else offered me a ticket, as I didn't win either.

Many people have used the argument that "better a fan than a non fan" to go to the gigs and I totally agree with that- Just that in this case it's more of a "there are not enough tickets for every fan" scenario and people from abroad applying are taking the tickets away from genuine applicants. As simple as that.

Of course I agree with everyone who has posted saying how incredible the international atmosphere at gigs is and how the experience is so much better than one just going to a gig by themselves, which is why I am not saying that people should not go to gigs abroad. Plus, as I said, considering the amount of traveling I do for Mika gigs that would be incredibly hypocritical of me to say.

I've made the best friends here on MFC and many from other countries, so I better than anyone know how valuable and amazing this mishmash of cultures and nationalities is that we have, which I have never ever denied or tried to stop from happening.

So, to recap, it says in the terms that only UK residents may apply, which is what I had said was clear all along. Obviously the fact that some non UK people have won means that the BBC were counting on people not applying unless they met the criteria, as it was most likely a random automatic computer choice of email or something of the sorts.