Blame It On The Girls Video

racinghorse83

I've been thinking a lot (unbelievable eh? :naughty:), trying to find reasons why I love so much this video.

I'm aware my comments are generally not popular at all, but who cares after all... I'm proud to be a :freak: !

On the whole I guess I like the colours, the moves and the old-fashioned details (and I worship the human statues!). I love the idea of a sort of "mise en abyme", the fact that you can see that they are making a video. In my opinion the amateurish taste is totally done on purpose, it's the effect they were looking for, as if the video had been made in the past.

I really appreciate the comments posted by riverstwilight and Kodes100. Thanks guys! :flowers2:

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG, this is exactly what people tell me. :shocked: I hear all the time that I'm obsessed with "this guy Mika" and that I should keep it on the fanclub. But also that it's not normal to visit MFC more than once a week.

I don't talk about him all the time, I told some people about the new album because I was excited about it, and I told some people about his performances on Jools Holland and the Dutch show because I really loved them. I've only been to one gig. I do have a hard disk with loads of pics and vids, but I tell no one about that. :teehee:

All I can think of is that Mika really is so marmite people just don't understand that you can be a big fan. That you would like to know about all his performances and his interviews.

Because these are the same people who think it's normal to follow their favourite soccer team all around the Netherlands or even Europe, or (like a friend of mine) fly to Italy once a year because you're a fan of Zucchero.

That's like the people who really HATE all the Star Trek shows, yet know all of the characters and what planet they're from, and all the episodes.

So if they hate ST, why do they watch it?

If they hate Mika, how do they usually know so much about him? Because they always know his songs, what the titles are and how they sound. If they hate him, why are they so interested??

So do I, it's sodding ridiculous. Like, it got to the point where I practically exploded and I had this major fit on Facebook (I ended up having 3 people apologising to me - HA!) but my sister saw it and thought I took it too personally, and then she told MOTHER - WORST person to tell - and then she got all patronising (she doesn't mean to, she does try her best to look out for her kids, but she does make me feel like 5 years old sometimes) and was like "well if you're being picked on maybe you shouldn't talk about him so much." and I was like WTF? IT'S A FOOKIN STATUS UPDATE! If people don't like it they can DELETE me - doesn't make a difference in my life whatsoever if they're on there or not! And then she was like "you don't want to be seen as a horrible person" and again I was like WTF, if people are teasing me, whether it be a joke or not and I DON'T like it, I won't take it lying down! She's the one who told me to ignore all the bullying comments I got at school and I did so and it was the worst choice in the world. I am quite quick to jump on people now if they p*ss me off, and I do probably go OTT, but I'm not gonna let something build up. If someone starts I end it.

She also says "maybe you should keep your Mika stuff on the FanClub" but I was like WHY? I update my status on Facebook so that Mika fans who aren't on the MFC at that specific moment can be updated with news! I do it FOR a reason!

And even at work, I don't even mention him! If he comes up in conversation it's because people talk to ME about him. And it gets on my tits! I can actually hold a conversation without mentioning the dude's name. People throw the words "obsession" and "stalker" around far too easily in my book...I don't hide in his bathroom nor do I camp outside his house. I don't follow him around to see what he buys from the supermarket. Heck, I go to a gig and I naff off home. I'm just supporting my favourite artist and if it makes me happy I'm gonna carry on doing it, regardless what people think. I'm not hurting anyone.

Whew, that was long...sorry...

Uhh... Caz.... I don't think we can be friends because I'm the same way now. We might rip each others heads off. :roftl: No but seriously, I haven't really met someone else that acts the same way I do. I was always told to ignore the bullying comments too and I had to ignore the fact that everyday after school I was beat up walking to my house by three kids and the schools only way of dealing with it was to drop me off first and hold the kids back for 5 seconds while I ran. (Now parents complained about their poor babies having to walk and the bus drives up AROUND the neighborhood and doesn't drop any kids off anymore!!!! Seriously?!! I was beat up daily and never got that decency but when a parent complains about their kid having to walk because they're lazy and they get catered to? Oh I want to explode.) :furious:

At least from your facebook rant you had people apologize to you! No matter WHAT band I like I get picked on and the band gets trash talked in front of me. I mean, seriously? Are we THAT immature? I don't talk about the bands I like often at all and the only time my friends would be subjected to them is if they got in my car. Even then if I know they're going to whine and complain I'll change the music before they get in so I don't have to put up with it! I had one friend from the back seat nitpick about my driving! Every little thing I did differently than him. It got to the point where I stopped the car and asked if he wanted to drive. Of course he did so I took off and said I didn't ant him driving my car. :teehee: Anyway, I don't care if any of my friends are madly in love with a band that I hated. I might mention that I don't like them but I wouldn't trash talk the band to my friend. It's called respecting differences. :mf_rosetinted:

I don't see why people can't handle that everyone has different tastes. :dunno: That's what makes the world such an interesting place, but if your taste differs from theirs you're bashed for it. :boxed:

Also, I don't know if you had this happen but doesn't it irk you when someone disses a band that you like then you find a couple of that bands songs on their computer?!!! :shocked: I had that happen along with someone who sort of liked a band I loved. She downloaded more of their songs because of me and I got tickets to their gig for us. When that friend turned nasty I took off for the show and sold her ticket. A year later she was still complaining about it and said online that 20 year old girls who listen to them need to grow up. :lmfao:

Did you try setting your mom straight at all? :shocked: Just because you posted that on facebook doesn't mean you're some overly insane person. I don't see how you could be viewed as a horrible person either. :dunno:

Btw, I love that saying, "it gets on my tits." I've never heard it before! It's just the same as saying "it gets on my nerves" right? If so, I want to use the other haha!

P.S. You like that Mika fellow right? Giiiirl he sings so high! You're lame. :mf_rosetinted: You need to like a hardcore rapper. Ya know where the music goes "hey @#*$( bucket $(*@ pig ($&(# yo ($(@ (*#&&"

Joking. :teehee:

Uhh... Caz.... I don't think we can be friends because I'm the same way now. We might rip each others heads off. :roftl: No but seriously, I haven't really met someone else that acts the same way I do. I was always told to ignore the bullying comments too and I had to ignore the fact that everyday after school I was beat up walking to my house by three kids and the schools only way of dealing with it was to drop me off first and hold the kids back for 5 seconds while I ran. (Now parents complained about their poor babies having to walk and the bus drives up AROUND the neighborhood and doesn't drop any kids off anymore!!!! Seriously?!! I was beat up daily and never got that decency but when a parent complains about their kid having to walk because they're lazy and they get catered to? Oh I want to explode.)

At least from your facebook rant you had people apologize to you! No matter WHAT band I like I get picked on and the band gets trash talked in front of me. I mean, seriously? Are we THAT immature? I don't talk about the bands I like often at all and the only time my friends would be subjected to them is if they got in my car. Even then if I know they're going to whine and complain I'll change the music before they get in so I don't have to put up with it! I had one friend from the back seat nitpick about my driving! Every little thing I did differently than him. It got to the point where I stopped the car and asked if he wanted to drive. Of course he did so I took off and said I didn't ant him driving my car. :teehee: Anyway, I don't care if any of my friends are madly in love with a band that I hated. I might mention that I don't like them but I wouldn't trash talk the band to my friend. It's called respecting differences. :mf_rosetinted:

I don't see why people can't handle that everyone has different tastes. :dunno: That's what makes the world such an interesting place, but if your taste differs from theirs you're bashed for it. :boxed:

Also, I don't know if you had this happen but doesn't it irk you when someone disses a band that you like then you find a couple of that bands songs on their computer?!!! :shocked: I had that happen along with someone who sort of liked a band I loved. She downloaded more of their songs because of me and I got tickets to their gig for us. When that friend turned nasty I took off for the show and sold her ticket. A year later she was still complaining about it and said online that 20 year old girls who listen to them need to grow up. :lmfao:

Did you try setting your mom straight at all? :shocked: Just because you posted that on facebook doesn't mean you're some overly insane person. I don't see how you could be viewed as a horrible person either. :dunno:

Btw, I love that saying, "it gets on my tits." I've never heard it before! It's just the same as saying "it gets on my nerves" right? If so, I want to use the other haha!

P.S. You like that Mika fellow right? Giiiirl he sings so high! You're lame. :mf_rosetinted: You need to like a hardcore rapper. Ya know where the music goes "hey @#*$( bucket $(*@ pig ($&(# yo ($(@ (*#&&"

Joking. :teehee:

It's terrible that you were bullied to that extent...the only thing our school was done was suspend people for 3 days. How does that teach anyone a lesson? I mean, they probably LIKED the 3 days off school! FFS!

And not to sound nasty, your friends maybe nice to you in other aspects, but that's not very nice of them to do. Seriously, have you tried telling them how you felt? Or maybe you should do the same to them. I know you said you don't, because of "respecting differences" but they're not respecting you and your differences so why not give them a taste of their own medicine? I mean, what they say isn't making you happy is it? Nor are you being "allowed" to be yourself if you feel you have to change your music everytime they get in the car. I mean, fair enough if they said they didn't like him and that was the end of it, but the way they go on about it...I dare you the next time they get in your car to crank up Mika's music to full blast and sing at the top of your lungs.

Seriously.

I mean, they don't have to like the guy, but respect your taste in music whether they agree with it or not. Respect is what you deserve.

I've tried talking to my mum, saying that if people are horrible to me I'm not gonna let them walk over them. She just said "ignore them, they're not worth your time" which I do get, but I learned at school that if you ignore people they DO see you as a walkover and they DON'T get bored. Tell them straight as soon as they hit the slightest nerve, stand up for yourself! I'm only defending myself and my opinion, it's not like I'm going round knifing people.

and yes, that's exactly what "gets on my tits" means lol :naughty:

It's terrible that you were bullied to that extent...the only thing our school was done was suspend people for 3 days. How does that teach anyone a lesson? I mean, they probably LIKED the 3 days off school! FFS!

That's why all suspensions should be in school suspensions. :teehee:

Sorry to intereupt. I'll go now.

Ktnxbai

How funny! I thought Mika sang, "are you wishing you were rugged like me?" but when I looked up the lyrics he's actually singing "are you wishing you were ugly like me?" :aah:

Pfff the guy is not ugly. Dear Mika... change that word to rugged and start bragging about your looks. :naughty:

I thought he was saying "Are you wishing you where looking like me" XD

OMG, this is exactly what people tell me. :shocked: I hear all the time that I'm obsessed with "this guy Mika" and that I should keep it on the fanclub. But also that it's not normal to visit MFC more than once a week.

I don't talk about him all the time, I told some people about the new album because I was excited about it, and I told some people about his performances on Jools Holland and the Dutch show because I really loved them. I've only been to one gig. I do have a hard disk with loads of pics and vids, but I tell no one about that. :teehee:

All I can think of is that Mika really is so marmite people just don't understand that you can be a big fan. That you would like to know about all his performances and his interviews.

Because these are the same people who think it's normal to follow their favourite soccer team all around the Netherlands or even Europe, or (like a friend of mine) fly to Italy once a year because you're a fan of Zucchero.

I know! I'm afraid my friends and family think I'm obsessed with Mika (They say the same thing about Doctor Who too... but that's a different thing.) because I've been talking about him a lot lately. That's just me,when I'm exited about something I get all jabby and that. I'm trying to stop though, it helps that the album came out.

Lol, you're welcome!

See! People are so stupid! If I was following someone more "cool" around London people would think I was cool too, but what the hell? I'm experiencing something I find exciting and that not a lot of people get the chance to do. Hell, it beats sitting indoors. And if they would much rather go get drunk every weekend and wake up ill and with a loss of memory then that's their prerogative. I won't judge them for that and wish people didn't judge me for my hobbies as well.

And also, the talk of Mika's sexuality gets me as well. It's like "oh he's so gay" as if they're trying to put me off him, or they assume I must be some deluded crazy psycho fan who is adamant that we're going to get married. No! I'm stupid OR deluded! Whether he's gay, straight, or bi it's not like Mika and I are gonna get together anyway NOR is it my business who he decideds to romp with between the sheets! (or anywhere else). Freddie Mercury and Elton are homosexuals but no-one gives a toss about that! EVERYONE loves "don't stop me now", loads of straight men do and no-one laughs at them for that! Elton John has had a number of huge hits and as far as I'm aware people leave him alone as well. It's like, who cares? He's a MUSICIAN, and I like his music. Mika doesn't know about my private life so why should I know about his?

BRILLIANT.

Haha! That reminds me of my Step-Dad! When I asked if he liked him after we watched "Friday Night with Johnathon Ross" (On BBC America) he said "He's a fag" (*Twitch* I hate that word. It's funny though that in England it means cigarette. Anyway...) and I said "How can you say that! Know one knows if he's gay or straight, but who cares. It's the music that's important, not who he likes!" Or something similar. He was going upstairs though, so he didn't respond. He later said he was joking to get under my skin.

I'm going to force him to listen to his stuff one day.

At least my Mom understands, and she thinks he's cool and Avant-garde.

Everyone in my graphic com. class doesn't like him though... (long story)

And not to sound nasty, your friends maybe nice to you in other aspects, but that's not very nice of them to do. Seriously, have you tried telling them how you felt? Or maybe you should do the same to them. I know you said you don't, because of "respecting differences" but they're not respecting you and your differences so why not give them a taste of their own medicine? I mean, what they say isn't making you happy is it? Nor are you being "allowed" to be yourself if you feel you have to change your music everytime they get in the car. I mean, fair enough if they said they didn't like him and that was the end of it, but the way they go on about it...I dare you the next time they get in your car to crank up Mika's music to full blast and sing at the top of your lungs.

Seriously.

I mean, they don't have to like the guy, but respect your taste in music whether they agree with it or not. Respect is what you deserve.

I've tried talking to my mum, saying that if people are horrible to me I'm not gonna let them walk over them. She just said "ignore them, they're not worth your time" which I do get, but I learned at school that if you ignore people they DO see you as a walkover and they DON'T get bored. Tell them straight as soon as they hit the slightest nerve, stand up for yourself! I'm only defending myself and my opinion, it's not like I'm going round knifing people.

and yes, that's exactly what "gets on my tits" means lol :naughty:

Don't you love that? They get three days off while you're still stuck in school! One of my math classes there was me and about five guys. Eventually they'd all act up and start harassing me because I was the only girl and instead of them getting in trouble the teacher would make ME leave. :boxed:

It's okay, you can be as nasty as you want about them because they haven't been in my life for almost two years now. I'll PM you. :teehee: At the last school I was at I always got comments from one friend about having the same CD in my car forever. I told her to either deal with it or walk (since she didn't have a car.) :naughty: Other friends made up for that though. They shocked me because they'd start singing along with the songs. :aah:

Ahhh isn't that the truth! If you ignore them they'll keep on doing it because they see that you're not going to stop them! It's kind of like what everyone says about bees. If you don't bother them they won't bother you. Oh yeah? How often does that work? :naughty:

That's why all suspensions should be in school suspensions. :teehee:

Sorry to intereupt. I'll go now.

Ktnxbai

Psh interrupting us. :shun:

I agree they need to be in school with strict people who won't let them talk. :teehee:

I thought he was saying "Are you wishing you where looking like me" XD

I think at one point when I was trying to figure it out I thought it was "are you wishing you were lucky like me." :naughty: I should really google lyrics whenever I hear a new song.

Don't you love that? They get three days off while you're still stuck in school! One of my math classes there was me and about five guys. Eventually they'd all act up and start harassing me because I was the only girl and instead of them getting in trouble the teacher would make ME leave. :boxed:

It's okay, you can be as nasty as you want about them because they haven't been in my life for almost two years now. I'll PM you. :teehee: At the last school I was at I always got comments from one friend about having the same CD in my car forever. I told her to either deal with it or walk (since she didn't have a car.) :naughty: Other friends made up for that though. They shocked me because they'd start singing along with the songs. :aah:

Ahhh isn't that the truth! If you ignore them they'll keep on doing it because they see that you're not going to stop them! It's kind of like what everyone says about bees. If you don't bother them they won't bother you. Oh yeah? How often does that work? :naughty:

I haven't got your PM lol :naughty:

Why the teacher made you leave is beyond me :blink:

There was this one time in my maths class I had these 2 girls that were...not considered the nicest of people. One of them came over to me and asked me if I had a spare pen. I said "sorry, I don't." and she went "are you sure?" and grabbed my pencil case and tipped it upside down. F*cking cow.

She also had this dog collar or something. I think it was passed to me and the message I got was "this is for you" or something. I threw it on the floor and said "must be for you since you're the one who bought it." Or something like that.

I carried on doing my work when the girl who tipped my pencil case upside down came over to me and...I don't remember how it happened, but it turned into a physical fight.

It wasn't even a fight, it was like who cats freakin' do. That girl didn't hit me ONCE.

She was then sent out I believe, I was in floods of tears because, although my best friend had been physically bullied, it was the first time it had ever happened to me and I done nothing to deserve it (nor did my best friend).

Oh, funny moment, the girl called me a whore. Some people came over to comfort me and the teacher was there asking what happened. Well, you know how I hate spelling errors? One of the girls said "she called her a nasty name, I won't say it but it began with H." and my teacher was like what? So I corrected it and said "It begins with a W." LOL. Even in distress I was correcting people :roftl:

But now she's all nice to me :blink: Weird...

Anyway, about those lyrics. In the first verse it's "are you wishing you were ugly like me?" and in the second verse it's "we are wishing we were lucky like you".

It's also largely coz he's a guy, you know. I get it about Tim Minchin, (my best mate always says, 'Noll, we've been through this, you'd be breaking up a family - he has a wife and kids!' and I'm like, 'did I mention anything beyond his music and ideas?) If it was a woman we were all obsessed with, we'd probably just be accused of wanting to be like her or something. It's so stupid. You don't have to want something on a personal level in ANY WAY to appreciate it artistically, aesthethically, etc etc.

Grr, etc.

Are you a Tim Minchin fan? My daughter introduced me to him (no, not in real life!) through Storm. I love it.

Psh interrupting us. :shun:

I agree they need to be in school with strict people who won't let them talk. :teehee:

I think at one point when I was trying to figure it out I thought it was "are you wishing you were lucky like me." :naughty: I should really google lyrics whenever I hear a new song.

I think I thought that too for one part, either that or something else.

Yea, I need to do that to. XD I though Mika's "We are Golden" The part where he sings "Running around like a clown on purpose..." I thought was "Running around like a cloud on/with purpose...". I have so many misheard lyrics from the new songs. XD (and from other songs too!)

Hmm. The video's nothing like I imagined at all. I like the concept, but the way it was shot just seemed sloppy and dull. Mika should do a do-over. :/ Oh well. The video in my head is what I'll see when I play the song.

:biggrin2::thumb_yello:

• 2 weeks later...
Have we discussed why he sings money in my bank live when it's clearly and sensibly money in the bank on the recording and the vid?

Oooh no, not that I'm aware. Guess we always knew the only good looking rich guy that matters was talking about himself, however much he denies it