Mika Keeps sexuality secret over bullying fears -8/2/10

FREDDIESDOUBLE

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
it's the teenage mika I feel deeply sorry for.

how terrible and unsettling that must have been for him.

it's really, really bad things like these happen. :boxed:

Actually, I don't. I don't want to sound unsympathetic, because I am very sympathetic to him feeling bad, but I do think that these are all a matter of perception.,

At the end of the day, the teenage Mika was perfectly functional, and he still has a good few friends left from those days, who appreciate him and are deeply loyal to him. Surely he couldn't have had such a bad time? I really don't think that we should read too much into what they are saying in these interviews. Everyone has had bad times, and a lot of the time it's about how you react to it.

As far as I'm concerned, he had a much better situation than many, and he probably had a better time as a teen as I did, so why would I feel deeply sorry for him? I just don't understand it. And this is not a rant at you, Avoca, so please don't take it like I am attacking you :naughty:. I'm not attacking anyone. Just saying that things could have not really been much worse for him than for the average teenager anyway, IMO. That's how you feel when you are that age: like the world is against you, and like everything is sh!t. At least that is how I felt, and things change and get better. I just think that it's a rite of passage, that's all. No need to martyrise him for it.

Bad things are happening in the world the whole time, and a bunch of schoolkids insulting other kids is still a lot better than them stabbing them or other crap like that which is rife. I'm not trying to minimise how he felt, and I really don't want to sound harsh, but surely everyone has had really bad experiences like that, and it's only a matter of getting through it and becoming a stronger, better person at the end of it?

Actually, I don't. I don't want to sound unsympathetic, because I am very sympathetic to him feeling bad, but I do think that these are all a matter of perception.,

At the end of the day, the teenage Mika was perfectly functional, and he still has a good few friends left from those days, who appreciate him and are deeply loyal to him. Surely he couldn't have had such a bad time? I really don't think that we should read too much into what they are saying in these interviews. Everyone has had bad times, and a lot of the time it's about how you react to it.

As far as I'm concerned, he had a much better situation than many, and he probably had a better time as a teen as I did, so why would I feel deeply sorry for him? I just don't understand it. And this is not a rant at you, Avoca, so please don't take it like I am attacking you :naughty:. I'm not attacking anyone. Just saying that things could have not really been much worse for him than for the average teenager anyway, IMO. That's how you feel when you are that age: like the world is against you, and like everything is sh!t. At least that is how I felt, and things change and get better. I just think that it's a rite of passage, that's all. No need to martyrise him for it.

Bad things are happening in the world the whole time, and a bunch of schoolkids insulting other kids is still a lot better than them stabbing them or other crap like that which is rife. I'm not trying to minimise how he felt, and I really don't want to sound harsh, but surely everyone has had really bad experiences like that, and it's only a matter of getting through it and becoming a stronger, better person at the end of it?

Totally agree with the bold bit... if anything, the bullying he experienced made him stronger, and he doesn't hold a grudge against them anymore, he's gotten over it... Just going off what he said in the fan interview in Australia of course :wink2:

Totally agree with the bold bit... if anything, the bullying he experienced made him stronger, and he doesn't hold a grudge against them anymore, he's gotten over it... Just going off what he said in the fan interview in Australia of course :wink2:

Are you thread stalking me? :lmfao:

I understand your point of view, but it depend of the person, we react differently we are not all the same. Mika is someone extremely sensitive he react in concequence. You know that Mika has TOC and others problems it's the consequence of what was happened in his life since he was a kid.

I understand your point of view, but it depend of the person, we react differently we are not all the same. Mika is someone extremely sensitive he react in concequence. You know that Mika has TOC and others problems it's the consequence of what was happened in his life since he was a kid.

Yes, of course, people react differently, but my point is, that there are certain more or less "standard" levels of what one would call a proportional reaction.

For example, the neighbour knocks on my door and wakes me up.

Reaction 1: I get annoyed and tell him so

Reaction 2: I shoot him dead :roftl:

Do you know what I mean? There is reacting and there is overreacting, and I personally don't think that if Mika had been so affected by all these things, he would be as functional and successful as he is now.

What is TOC btw?

I'm not posting this exclusively in reference to Mika, but bullying can leave enormous scars. I was a victim of severe bullying and this has landed me into an extreme depression with suicidal tendencies when I was 20.

Just to say that it can leave huge marks on your life in all its aspects.

I'm not posting this exclusively in reference to Mika, but bullying can leave enormous scars. I was a victim of severe bullying and this has landed me into an extreme depression with suicidal tendencies when I was 20.

Just to say that it can leave huge marks on your life in all its aspects.

:huglove: I hope you got (and continue to get) the help you need :huglove:

Yes, of course, people react differently, but my point is, that there are certain more or less "standard" levels of what one would call a proportional reaction.

Do you know what I mean? There is reacting and there is overreacting, and I personally don't think that if Mika had been so affected by all these things, he would be as functional and successful as he is now.

What is TOC btw?

TOC means "Troubles Obsessionnels Compulsif" in english it's OCD Obsessive Compulsive Disorder , for example a person who needs that every thing to be white because he feels bad if is not. Or a person who needs to do 3 times the same thing. It's difficult for me to explain that in english but I try. These person do that to feel safe, it's ritual but person who has OCD has psychological problem which come from childhood, teenage years or adulthood.

TOC means "Troubles Obsessionnels Compulsif" in english it's COT Compulsif Obsessional Troubles , for example a person who needs that every thing to be white because he feels bad if is not. Or a person who needs to do 3 times the same thing. It's difficult for me to explain that in english but I try. These person do that to feel safe, it's ritual but person who has COT has psychological problem which come from childhood, teenage years or adulthood.

I think you mean "Obsessive Compulsive Disorder" or "OCD" in English :thumb_yello:

hmm, i have a different point of view on this... i believe it has affected him deeply, BUT he found a way to deal with it, not by shooting people, but by writing songs about his experiences and feelings, and by building his own little world. i don't think it's mainly a question of what happens to you or how you feel about it, but how you deal with it. i've recently read an article about bullying at schools, and from what i know, mika has been through the same like these kids - and well, that article also said that some kids who are not able to find a way to deal with these things, are commiting suicide. so, the same cause, but different ways to handle it. but that doesn't mean the bullying is not as bad for or affects you less than those who kill themselves. :dunno:

I'm sorry but I completely disagree with this!

I got bullied in school because of my height, yes I was lucky to have friends I could turn to, but they weren't there all the time, and when they weren't it was completely soul destroying having a group of your peers constantly sniping at you bit by bit breaking down your confidence, and if by some chance I did get one thing over on them (being really good at high jump surprisingly!) soon being bought down to earth with a severe bump!

But this isn't my real reason for answering this.

My actual reason is my youngest niece, who was very quiet and reserved, suffered 8 YEARS of being constantly bullied, from the end of primary school, by a teacher, no less, who, because she took a dislike to her, once made her stand on a chair for an entire lesson, because she didn't answer a question correctly!

No one else in this class got this treatment, just her.

When she got to secondary school it just got worse.

She is incredibly proud of her fingernails, she always kept them long and very well manicured, I was always impressed by how well she did this from the age of 9. But unfortunately, some girls chose to pick on her because of this, and because of her general state of dress (she lived in the country, and although her clothes where always clean, and relatively neat, it was always the budget range uniform, not the expensive type these girls families could afford), and they would call her names and taunt her, and threaten her if she told anyone what they would do. She did have a couple of friends, but they also got the same treatment.

So this went on for most of secondary school, until one of her friends, who she considered her best friend, chose to go over and join this group, and start the bullying with them. This totally devastated my niece, and that's when the incident that brought it to our attention happened.

She was in the 4th year by this time, and the usual taunting was happening, but this time at the top of some concrete steps, it got out of hand, and one of these "princesses" pushed my neice and she went headlong down the steps. She ended up with a broken foot, and her back was jolted out of joint (because of this 2 discs in her back fused together pinching a nerve, and now she has cronic back problems).

It was only then we found out about the constant bullying she'd endured throughout school, it was torturous to hear, and wishing we could have done something, but because of her fear of repercussions, she was too scared to say anything.

It's easy to say "you should have told someone" I know I did at the time, but looking at it from her perspective, I can see why she couldn't.

Being bullied doesn't make you a "stronger" person, it makes you incredibly wary of everyone you meet and wonder what their motives are. When you do actually make friends with someone, you tend to cling to that friendship and have a wall around you that you feel you can't let anyone in unless you feel completely safe with them. Everyone I know who has gone through this only have maybe 3 or 4 really close friends they trust implicitly. Sure they have friends out side this circle, but not to the same degree, because of what happened to them.

It does affect how you live your life, because you always wonder how new people will treat you, and how they see you, bullying isn't just confined to school.

So having been through it, and having someone close getting through it, and seeing how it affects them even now (trust issues, etc), I find it a little insulting, to have these terrible experiences belittled.

Yes, there are worse things happening in the world, but when you are going through this, and feel isolated, that's the last thing you are thinking about!

As far as Mika is concerned, yes he had his family around him, and his close friends, but when your alone, surrounded by the bullies, the last thing on your mind is how much support you have at home!

:lmfao:

That's some damn creative "journalism" there to take an article where the subject says, quote, "I could fall in love with anybody and have done in the past, so I don't operate from a position of fear" - and run that with the headline "Mika keeps sexuality secret over bullying fears."

I mean, come on! First of all, he's explicitly saying he's NOT doing anything out of fear and secondly, he comes right out and says "I could fall in love with anybody and have done in the past."

If they wanted to do a good job at twisting his words into a sensational headline, they could have picked something like "Promiscuous Mika admits 'anybody' could end up in his bed." Or something.

This is just a fail, even from a news regurgitation site that is known for its crappy content. :rolls_eyes:

I know :sneaky2:

Unfortunately a hell of a lot of people get their celebrity 'truths' from skimming crappy sources like contactmusic. And boy is that crappy journalism of the highest order! :sneaky2:

Rose, it is as if you've written my story!

Ofcourse, the reasons my classmates had where different, but nonetheless...

You're right: I always find it hard to believe someone would really like me, I always (more or less slighty)doubt it. And I am often genuinly surprised if someone really likes me.

that's a good example with your niece, rose. just because she didn't react by shooting anyone, doesn't mean she didn't/doesn't seriously suffer from the bullying. so sorry to hear what happenend and that she has chronic back problems now. :sad: i hope that damn bully who pushed her, has to pay her a lifelong annuity for that at least!! :sneaky2:

i'm glad nowadays that the bullying i got was never physical. but back then, i wished they'd attack me physically, so i could hit back and seriously beat them up for all they've done to me, as i wasn't good+quick-witted in reacting with words. i never would've hit them first though, as i knew then i'd be the one who'd be blamed by the teachers.

also agree with your last sentence, rose, the "support" at home doesn't help you anything, because mostly, there's nothing they can do about it. your parents tell your teacher, in the best case your teacher talks with the bullies, and all you have from it is being called a telltale and the bullying getting even worse when the teacher doesn't look. :no:

getting bullied is not just "normal" teenager feelings, like feeling out of place, or like the world is against you - it's feeling totally humiliated, pushed down to the floor and stamped on every day, and completely helpless about it. once you're able to leave that situation - by changing or finishing school - you can start living a relatively normal life again, and build up some confidence, but i think what rose said is true, it always leaves some sort of scars.

having said that, it's still not "poor poor mika" to me. i've been through these things, and i like talking about it, but i wouldn't want people to pity me for it. all i want is that bullying isn't downplayed, and that people open their eyes and interfere if it's happening anywhere around them.

oh, and the excuse "there are many worse things happening in the world" doesn't count for me, because a) the world of the bullied person does get shattered by the bullying. and b) you could say that about everything - why don't we all donate our money that we now spend on mika for charity? :bleh:

You're right: I always find it hard to believe someone would really like me, I always (more or less slighty)doubt it. And I am often genuinly surprised if someone really likes me.

+ 1...

that's a good example with your niece, rose. just because she didn't react by shooting anyone, doesn't mean she didn't/doesn't seriously suffer from the bullying. so sorry to hear what happenend and that she has chronic back problems now. :sad: i hope that damn bully who pushed her, has to pay her a lifelong annuity for that at least!! :sneaky2:

i'm glad nowadays that the bullying i got was never physical. but back then, i wished they'd attack me physically, so i could hit back and seriously beat them up for all they've done to me, as i wasn't good+quick-witted in reacting with words. i never would've hit them first though, as i knew then i'd be the one who'd be blamed by the teachers.

also agree with your last sentence, rose, the "support" at home doesn't help you anything, because mostly, there's nothing they can do about it. your parents tell your teacher, in the best case your teacher talks with the bullies, and all you have from it is being called a telltale and the bullying getting even worse when the teacher doesn't look. :no:

getting bullied is not just "normal" teenager feelings, like feeling out of place, or like the world is against you - it's feeling totally humiliated, pushed down to the floor and stamped on every day, and completely helpless about it. once you're able to leave that situation - by changing or finishing school - you can start living a relatively normal life again, and build up some confidence, but i think what rose said is true, it always leaves some sort of scars.

having said that, it's still not "poor poor mika" to me. i've been through these things, and i like talking about it, but i wouldn't want people to pity me for it. all i want is that bullying isn't downplayed, and that people open their eyes and interfere if it's happening anywhere around them.

oh, and the excuse "there are many worse things happening in the world" doesn't count for me, because a) the world of the bullied person does get shattered by the bullying. and b) you could say that about everything - why don't we all donate our money that we now spend on mika for charity? :bleh:

Absolutely.

And I don't sympathise with him, I empathise, knowing what he's been through, feeling the same feelings.

Me and my niece never wanted pity, we wanted help, without repercussions.

I'm sorry but I completely disagree with this! if by some chance I did get one thing over on them (being really good at high jump surprisingly)

Just wanted to quote this bit. I too am freakin' short, and yet was also surprisingly good at high jump. We shorties learn how to jump out of necessity, I suppose. :teehee:

The pattern I'm seeing in this thread is that a good majority of us were bullied in school. While it's awful to experience, sadly it seems what a lot of us went through - and what Mika seems to have gone through - isn't exactly out of the ordinary. For me it was two things: first, my family was always broke so I had thrift store clothes that weren't remotely in style, and my hair was always a terrible mess. Secondly, the other kids didn't like the fact that I always had a decent vocabulary and great grades, and constantly made reference to me preferring to have a dictionary rather than friends or whatever. :bleh:

I think the point some people are trying to make is that, sure Mika had his sh*tty moments in school; and when you're young like that and school is all you know of the world, you feel like utter crap when people attack you. But on the flip side, Mika always seemed to have a few close friends surrounding him, as well as a loving and supportive family waiting at home. And further, while I'm sure what he went through has coloured who he is today, he's managed to rise above all that and become a hugely successful person in his twenties who seems to do well in most social situations.

It sucks that he had to go through even a moment of sadness or misery as a result of those bullies back in the day, but ultimately those experiences contributed to the person he is today. And I think he's a pretty great person. :blush-anim-cl:

oh, I don't feel attacked and i think it's good everyone's a personal opinion. :biggrin2: I still have mine and I don't feel I'm pampering him. I just think he didn't have fun. many have it worse in teenage, some have it better. and as nico said, what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. :naughty:

I do believe all experinces are useful in life. surely one would like to save oneself the worst ones, but hey, it's life. :teehee:

if he felt it was so harsh (even aside his usal tendency to keep his privacy private, which I truly think is a good idea, but that's just me :naughty: and ehm.. make up things a bit.. :aah:), though, that's what counts. how he feels about it, even now, so many yrs after, thinking back to it.

I'm sorry but I completely disagree with this!

I got bullied in school because of my height, yes I was lucky to have friends I could turn to, but they weren't there all the time, and when they weren't it was completely soul destroying having a group of your peers constantly sniping at you bit by bit breaking down your confidence, and if by some chance I did get one thing over on them (being really good at high jump surprisingly!) soon being bought down to earth with a severe bump!

But this isn't my real reason for answering this.

My actual reason is my youngest niece, who was very quiet and reserved, suffered 8 YEARS of being constantly bullied, from the end of primary school, by a teacher, no less, who, because she took a dislike to her, once made her stand on a chair for an entire lesson, because she didn't answer a question correctly!

No one else in this class got this treatment, just her.

When she got to secondary school it just got worse.

She is incredibly proud of her fingernails, she always kept them long and very well manicured, I was always impressed by how well she did this from the age of 9. But unfortunately, some girls chose to pick on her because of this, and because of her general state of dress (she lived in the country, and although her clothes where always clean, and relatively neat, it was always the budget range uniform, not the expensive type these girls families could afford), and they would call her names and taunt her, and threaten her if she told anyone what they would do. She did have a couple of friends, but they also got the same treatment.

So this went on for most of secondary school, until one of her friends, who she considered her best friend, chose to go over and join this group, and start the bullying with them. This totally devastated my niece, and that's when the incident that brought it to our attention happened.

She was in the 4th year by this time, and the usual taunting was happening, but this time at the top of some concrete steps, it got out of hand, and one of these "princesses" pushed my neice and she went headlong down the steps. She ended up with a broken foot, and her back was jolted out of joint (because of this 2 discs in her back fused together pinching a nerve, and now she has cronic back problems).

It was only then we found out about the constant bullying she'd endured throughout school, it was torturous to hear, and wishing we could have done something, but because of her fear of repercussions, she was too scared to say anything.

It's easy to say "you should have told someone" I know I did at the time, but looking at it from her perspective, I can see why she couldn't.

Being bullied doesn't make you a "stronger" person, it makes you incredibly wary of everyone you meet and wonder what their motives are. When you do actually make friends with someone, you tend to cling to that friendship and have a wall around you that you feel you can't let anyone in unless you feel completely safe with them. Everyone I know who has gone through this only have maybe 3 or 4 really close friends they trust implicitly. Sure they have friends out side this circle, but not to the same degree, because of what happened to them.

It does affect how you live your life, because you always wonder how new people will treat you, and how they see you, bullying isn't just confined to school.

So having been through it, and having someone close getting through it, and seeing how it affects them even now (trust issues, etc), I find it a little insulting, to have these terrible experiences belittled.

Yes, there are worse things happening in the world, but when you are going through this, and feel isolated, that's the last thing you are thinking about!

As far as Mika is concerned, yes he had his family around him, and his close friends, but when your alone, surrounded by the bullies, the last thing on your mind is how much support you have at home!

Oh, Rosie, I'm so sorry to know that...:(

:huglove:

I was never bullied anywhere, and even when someone tried they never got through it because i'd become a true Viking and I'd blow the house down...:shocked:

Yes, that's how i am...:naughty:

Momma told me what i should know, if they hit you, hit back, i ain't going to stand back for you at school, you're the tallest, use your size"...she wouldn't go to school and stand up for me and so i did...all the time...never the first to attack, but wouldn't take offense back home:dunno:

Mom had to pay for a few chairs though...

+ 1...

Archived