REPORT/PICS/VIDS: MIKA - O2 Academy Newcastle, FEB 24 -2010

guylainem123

fab pics Daisy (especially the one of Laura me and my "son") cos its waay better than the one on MY camera.

Glad you took away some good memories from it in the end.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going to continue to talk about Laurel like she's not here and this wasn't meant as an attack on her anyway. We're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

I wasn't here actually ... I'd gone to bed ... :teehee:

Oh and I completely over-reacted ... I know that ... but you have to understand I was in a fair bit of pain .. and to be honest ... It brought back painful memories of constant snubs from another musician which were intentional and completely personal - and I put up with those for years before I'd had enough. Also he did sign something for me in Glasgow ... and I didn't and don't plan to get anything else signed by him (Well I did bring the Snoozer book ... but it's too bloody big and heavy to carry into a concert - so I'm not bothering) - I just got over emotional ... it happens .... and well ... my experience of Birmingham was a high again obviously ... stuff happens - anyway I've sorted the notebook ... with a bit of pritt stick and some arty stuff from me ... I'm gonna give one of my own Mika autographs to Keti ... it'll do :thumb_yello:

Oh and I completely over-reacted ... I know that ... but you have to understand I was in a fair bit of pain .. and to be honest ... It brought back painful memories of constant snubs from another musician which were intentional and completely personal - and I put up with those for years before I'd had enough. Also he did sign something for me in Glasgow ... and I didn't and don't plan to get anything else signed by him (Well I did bring the Snoozer book ... but it's too bloody big and heavy to carry into a concert - so I'm not bothering) - I just got over emotional ... it happens .... and well ... my experience of Birmingham was a high again obviously ... stuff happens - anyway I've sorted the notebook ... with a bit of pritt stick and some arty stuff from me ... I'm gonna give one of my own Mika autographs to Keti ... it'll do :thumb_yello:

No it was far from a snub , it was already signed on th front .. he said to me ohhh you got one ! I said yes and he said lucky! .. he said something about legal and contract or something why he could not , I did not quite catch it .. it was far far from a snub .. as I told you :wink2:

I thought it was a storming gig .. and due to some idiot not drinking enough water you ended up front row anyways :naughty:

This is my big memory meet and greet-

Me and Kath were stood right at the front of the queue (because we'd been late so were at the back of the gig) next to a guy and a girl with a big "I heart U" sign. I was teasing him about taking it up to every star he met and he said no, it's just for Mika (it was the guy who was the big fan) so I said "Well, you'll just have to get him to sign it, then he'll know it's not for anybody else." He immediately started worrying that he hadn't got a marker pen, but Kath assured him Mika would bring one out with him. We went on chatting, and Kath was explaining about how there was a good chance Mika would sign "What, right across the heart?" "Probably, if I you ask him to, though there's never any guarantee." The two of them started singing "Sign Your Name Across My Heart" which I would have thought they were too young to know and Kath and I chatted to Daisylou until Mika came out.

Anyway- Mika did sign across his heart, and chatted to them for a bit and they were so surprised and thrilled about how accessible Mika was. When he signed something (a postcard?) that the girl was holding she was pleased- and (so far as I could tell) stayed pleased when she asked him to write "to Guy" and Mika smiled charmingly and replied "I'm afraid I'm asking you to do that" The two of them rushed away happy, though unfortunately (unless I've totally misunderstood their reaction) they didn't rush onto Twitter. It was a fairly orderly queue and Mika spoke to everyone.

I was gutted when I saw the posts on Twitter, despite knowing what happened to Laurel, because my own memory centred on people finding out what a total sweetheart Mika is to his fans. The idea that Mika can't sign or personalise the £8 exercise books in case people* who paid £15 complain they've been diddled is a completely unfounded assumption on my part- but to me it makes sense. If TM had only thought to post a notice or otherwise explain whatever their policy was, Laurel wouldn't have been hurt and Mika would probably have got much better publicity on Twitter etc- the type of publicity he deserves. Certainly me and Kath were chatting as we waited about how she'd have bought an £8 one and got him to sign it (if she had bought anything)- and I certainly didn't say anything about being fair to people who paid £15 then- this is 20/20 hindsight.

To the screaming teenagers in the queue, Mika must have seemed very arbitrary and I don't blame them for complaining on twitter. I blame Team Mika- when Mika tweeted that he thought he'd pesonalise some exercise books (so original and Mika like- I'm glad he chose the exercise books to tweet about because I loved even the plain one I got in Leeds), they should have started thinking of this sort of thing. Merchandising is an important part of the music industry these days- and it shouldn't be left to the fans to work their policy out- or to Mika to distinguish between books in the dark (though I suspect that might have been an on-the-spot improvisation of Mika's) and explain the policy to a bunch of overemotional teenagers, after a gig- when he's likely to be exhausted or on an adrenaline high or both.

* By "people who might complain" I don't mean MFCers- most of us seemed to be assuming he wouldn't distinguish between what he could and couldn't sign- so much as parents who'd been pestered into paying £15 by teenage daughters for "a signed one" and then saw Mika signing £8 books

Edited by Soaring Simpson

No it was far from a snub , it was already signed on th front .. he said to me ohhh you got one ! I said yes and he said lucky! .. he said something about legal and contract or something why he could not , I did not quite catch it .. it was far far from a snub .. as I told you :wink2:

I thought it was a storming gig .. and due to some idiot not drinking enough water you ended up front row anyways :naughty:

I'd never heard of any Geordies being soft as sh*te, you've let the side down Freddie! :roftl::roftl::roftl:

Yes I figured you weren't here at the time, but you "live" here so I knew you'd be back. :naughty:

It brought back painful memories of constant snubs from another musician which were intentional and completely personal - and I put up with those for years before I'd had enough.

I remember you mentioning this before. But as Sosi said I can understand random teenagers thinking Mika was being funny about it, but we all KNOW that Mika is not a jerk. How many times do we have to experience it? How many things does he have to do for us to prove he's a decent guy?

anyway I've sorted the notebook ... with a bit of pritt stick and some arty stuff from me ... I'm gonna give one of my own Mika autographs to Keti ... it'll do :thumb_yello:

That's very sweet of you. :wub2: She's going to a gig soon isn't she?

Anyway- Mika did sign across his heart, and chatted to them for a bit and they were so surprised and thrilled about how accessible Mika was.

I think every fan felt this way when they first encountered Mika and that's why it saddens me to hear people (because it wasn't only Laurel's reaction) getting upset because they feel they didn't get enough from him at a gig.

Anyway that's a lovely story.

The idea that Mika can't sign or personalise the £8 exercise books in case people* who paid £15 complain they've been diddled is a completely unfounded assumption on my part- but to me it makes sense.

It makes sense to me as well. When I saw that the signed CDs were going for 25 pounds in Belfast I wondered if Mika was going to forgo signings altogether on this tour. A bit mercenary, but really, he's given up more than enough for free in the past 3 years IMO.

If TM had only thought to post a notice or otherwise explain whatever their policy was, Laurel wouldn't have been hurt and Mika would probably have got much better publicity on Twitter etc- the type of publicity he deserves.

I'm not sure how you go about explaining that at a merchandise stand without confusing people even further - especially if Mika is not available that night to do signings. Most people who go to a gig don't have any expectation that Mika will sign anything. There were 2500 people in Belfast and maybe 20 people stuck around after the gig. And all MFCers if I recall.

I think everyone - including the people moaning on Twitter - should keep in mind that the price of a concert ticket or merchandise NEVER includes a personalized autograph. This "you forgot where you come from" attitude is bullsh*t. Many artists completely avoid their fans after the gig or there are so many other fans your chances of getting an autograph are slim to none.

I think every fan felt this way when they first encountered Mika and that's why it saddens me to hear people (because it wasn't only Laurel's reaction) getting upset because they feel they didn't get enough from him at a gig.

Oh yes :blush-anim-cl: I'll always remember the first time I "met" him (I saw him out of a stage) and it was at Brixton. I was really lucky it was that night for this first time, but it's so unreal when you talk to him for the first time and he's looking at you :teehee:

I'm not sure how you go about explaining that at a merchandise stand without confusing people even further - especially if Mika is not available that night to do signings. Most people who go to a gig don't have any expectation that Mika will sign anything. There were 2500 people in Belfast and maybe 20 people stuck around after the gig. And all MFCers if I recall.

I think everyone - including the people moaning on Twitter - should keep in mind that the price of a concert ticket or merchandise NEVER includes a personalized autograph. This "you forgot where you come from" attitude is bullsh*t. Many artists completely avoid their fans after the gig or there are so many other fans your chances of getting an autograph are slim to none.

I totally agree on that Christine. I was so surprised about that Twitter comments. We are soooooo lucky about the way he behaves with us, we never have to forget about that.

And Laurel, I understand you were a little bit upset when you saw the others get signed. Moreover, we always over react after a gig, the emotions ar still high and we're hypersensitive !

Hello , back again and read over everything ...

I think the thing is we all know how special a guy Mika is and how lucky and privileged we are here in the UK esp ..to have such access to him and all truly know at the end of each emotional day that we have a great guy to follow .... period.......:biggrin2:

As Mrs P told me in Sheffield ...

it would be so much easier to have the same girls as lollipops and big girls ever night BUT " Mika wants it to be the fans"!!!

(And i saw the work that goes in to this and believe me it is hard work for them all ....)

I know this and so do we all or we wouldn't be here but equally we are all human and can feel emotional, hurt, frustrated, upset or ignored sometimes, justifiably or not because we are all people....

The great thing is we can come here and talk to others who understand and i think being supportive to each other is very important.

Equally it is also good to be able to say ..."hell wait a minute this guy is amazing!"

I know that most of us all know that anyway but it's only human and natural to sometimes want to talk it over and i know that it helped me the time i felt this some time ago ..... having a people here who understand is very comforting....

We can't all be strong all the time but i think most people here understand that we sometimes get it a bit wrong and quickly get back on the road to the next travelodge!:blush-anim-cl:

oh one more thing ...

People keep saying to me when i show them pics etc of my antics ....

wow how the hell did you manage to be on stage with him ...!!

You've met him???? WOW .....and more than once!!! WOW ......

YES we are very lucky ... i never forget this ......

In my days as a Duranie i never once met John Taylor, Nick Rhodes or Simon Le Bon and it was only ever really a fantasy that would!!!!

amen!!

oh sorry one more thing!!

I've been to quite a lot of gigs in my time and esp recently and i can tell you, (as we all know!) what Mika does is not the rule for most bands or artists .... but the exception .. i know we all know ...just saying again ..on a roll!:aah:

I've seen some really poor fan treatment by other artists ...

one i;ll mention was The Kooks at Edinburgh Corn Change where basically there were only 3 fans waiting who wanted an autograph on their ticket ....

I'd asked one of the support guys from Palladium ( Fez, anyone remember!?)if he could ask for them... as the band had seen them but just ignored the fans and walked past ...

He did go and ask them and even so they refused and went in to the bus!:shocked: Fez came back to say sorry he'd tried but they weren't his friends really .......poor show i felt esp in comparison to our boy!

However other artists have been nice like The Feeling but i think it would take a long long way to beat MiKa!!!!

Hello , back again and read over everything ...

I think the thing is we all know how special a guy Mika is and how lucky and privileged we are here in the UK esp ..to have such access to him and all truly know at the end of each emotional day that we have a great guy to follow .... period.......:biggrin2:

As Mrs P told me in Sheffield ...

it would be so much easier to have the same girls as lollipops and big girls ever night BUT " Mika wants it to be the fans"!!!

(And i saw the work that goes in to this and believe me it is hard work for them all ....)

I know this and so do we all or we wouldn't be here but equally we are all human and can feel emotional, hurt, frustrated, upset or ignored sometimes, justifiably or not because we are all people....

The great thing is we can come here and talk to others who understand and i think being supportive to each other is very important.

Equally it is also good to be able to say ..."hell wait a minute this guy is amazing!"

I know that most of us all know that anyway but it's only human and natural to sometimes want to talk it over and i know that it helped me the time i felt this some time ago ..... having a people here who understand is very comforting....

We can't all be strong all the time but i think most people here understand that we sometimes get it a bit wrong and quickly get back on the road to the next travelodge!:blush-anim-cl:

oh one more thing ...

In my days as a Duranie i never once met John Taylor, Nick Rhodes or Simon Le Bon and it was only ever really a fantasy that would!!!!

amen!!

Neither of them is as nahce to fans as Mika...

SLB is very posh and arrogant...and JT is always using the F word concerning fans...

I know,been there, done that...:sneaky2:

I don't think that was the problem here at all- Mika signed or personalised just about everything apart from the £8 exercise books- to which people's reaction, to put it mildly, was "Eh?"

I still think a suitable sign could have been created- possibly along the lines that "The availablity of signed merchandise on this stall does not guarantee that Mika will sign no other items." (Seems to fit Mika better than "No exercise books will be signed at this gig") Don't take this wrong- Mika's intelligent, but someone probably took enough thought to TELL him that "the company" wouild "kill him" if he signed any £8 exercise books. I still think it's a pity that a little more thought wasn't taken.

But Laurel's already off to her second gig after Newcastle- and Mika's had lots of good publicity on this tour- which is fantastic- so I'm not gonna keep going on about it

Edit- except to say that this change to Mika coming outside and leaving before his family and the band seems to work pretty well- for the fans, and hopefully for Mika too. Or did that just happen in Newcastle?

Edited by Soaring Simpson

I don't think that was the problem here at all- Mika signed or personalised just about everything apart from the £8 exercise books- to which people's reaction, to put it mildly, was "Eh?"

I still think a suitable sign could have been created- possibly along the lines that "The availablity of signed merchandise on this stall does not guarantee that Mika will sign no other items." (Seems to fit Mika better than "No exercise books will be signed at this gig") Don't take this wrong- Mika's intelligent, but someone probably took enough thought to TELL him that "the company" wouild "kill him" if he signed any £8 exercise books. I still think it's a pity that a little more thought wasn't taken.

But Laurel's already off to her second gig after Newcastle- and Mika's had lots of good publicity on this tour- which is fantastic- so I'm not gonna keep going on about it

Edit- except to say that this change to Mika coming outside and leaving before his family and the band seems to work pretty well- for the fans, and hopefully for Mika too. Or did that just happen in Newcastle?

No, it happened in Glasgow, Dublin and Birmingham too.

oh one more thing ...

amen!!

I honestly think people DO forget this. The culture of MFC and their repeated interaction with Mika makes them forget what it was like before they met him for the first time. (I'm not talking about Laurel here as I've brought this up many times before and sorry to say I'll be bringing it up again when I see the need. :teehee:)

Neither of them is as nahce to fans as Mika...

SLB is very posh and arrogant...and JT is always using the F word concerning fans...

I know,been there, done that...:sneaky2:

Who is SLB?

I still think a suitable sign could have been created- possibly along the lines that "The availablity of signed merchandise on this stall does not guarantee that Mika will sign no other items."

But don't you think the reason he's not signing other items is because no one would pay the higher price for the signed items if they could get the cheap ones autographed and personalized? Why would they put up a disclaimer that is going to hurt their sales and alert the entire audience to the fact that Mika might sign anything if you just wait around after the gig and ask?

The simplest solution is for Mika to refuse to sign autographs at all after gigs so I think people should be careful what they wish for and just be reasonable about it. He doesn't owe anyone anything and people ARE forgetting that. We wouldn't even be discussing it if it wasn't the case.

I thought Mika was always the first to leave. I remember Mrs. P walking off into the distance at Hammersmith long after Mika had left in one car and the other kids in another. I was quite shocked that she would just walk away from a gig in the middle of the night by herself :naughty:

I honestly think people DO forget this. The culture of MFC and their repeated interaction with Mika makes them forget what it was like before they met him for the first time. (I'm not talking about Laurel here as I've brought this up many times before and sorry to say I'll be bringing it up again when I see the need. :teehee:)

Who is SLB?

But don't you think the reason he's not signing other items is because no one would pay the higher price for the signed items if they could get the cheap ones autographed and personalized? Why would they put up a disclaimer that is going to hurt their sales and alert the entire audience to the fact that Mika might sign anything if you just wait around after the gig and ask?

The simplest solution is for Mika to refuse to sign autographs at all after gigs so I think people should be careful what they wish for and just be reasonable about it. He doesn't owe anyone anything and people ARE forgetting that. We wouldn't even be discussing it if it wasn't the case.

I thought Mika was always the first to leave. I remember Mrs. P walking off into the distance at Hammersmith long after Mika had left in one car and the other kids in another. I was quite shocked that she would just walk away from a gig in the middle of the night by herself :naughty:

The problem with the personalised ones, is that there were only 4, I think a lot of people wanted to buy them, but because of the extreme limited edition status, they obviously couldn't.

It's a tricky one to negotiate really.

I was having a think about the books and I'm guessing it might be because someone might buy a book, get him to sign it, then put some stickers on, do a few scribbles and sell it on as a personalised one when it's not. That's not only horrid for the person who buys it, but it's horrid for Mika as well because they're bound to do really crap drawings and make him look bad. :naughty:

And Mrs P is a tough lady Christine, I bet she doesn't have any trouble walking around London late at night. Gangstas probably cross over to the other side of the street when they see her coming. :aah:

She's lovely, really.

What's that hassle with the 'personalised' notebooks anyway? :dunno:

To Laurel's story I can only say, that was unfortunate. It does make sense that he won't sign the notebooks but really, I wouldn't have thought about that if I bought one, either. :dunno:

In fact, it still amazes me how he never seems the slightest bit overchallenged or besieged at the sight of the crowds of people waiting for him after a show, hoping for his attention. And he always delivers. As long as you are willing to join the queue or - if there is no such thing - throw yourself into the mob.

Considering everything I ever saw and heard from and about Mika, I'd be very surprised if his refusal was linked to the person asking for a signature. And obviously this was not the case. It was a matter of the item, right? He could have asked for something else. And it honestly wouldn't surprise me even slighty if he had. But I also believe that there should be a line when it comes to expectations. Mika is everything but average when it comes to the way he treats his fans. I'm sure I say this for the 400th time on this forum, but: If you don't expect so much, you have a good chance to get a pleasant surprise. And you won't find yourself disappointed if you don't get the bonus on top of the bonus.

The problem with the personalised ones, is that there were only 4, I think a lot of people wanted to buy them, but because of the extreme limited edition status, they obviously couldn't.

It's a tricky one to negotiate really.

I was having a think about the books and I'm guessing it might be because someone might buy a book, get him to sign it, then put some stickers on, do a few scribbles and sell it on as a personalised one when it's not. That's not only horrid for the person who buys it, but it's horrid for Mika as well because they're bound to do really crap drawings and make him look bad. :naughty:

Yeah, that's another valid, boring reason why he wouldn't sign the £8 ones. I thought they had rather more signed ones- and I bought mine after teh gig- but if there really was only four then I think MFCers bought nearly all of them. I certainly paid the £15 expecting Mika to sign as usual and I gathered the others did too. And other people might not have wanted to risk not getting one signed or hang round waiting. Or they could have dropped the price- better to lose a few quid than generate bad publicity for Mika.

Expecting people not to be mad that Mika signed stuff for strangers or their friends but refused them for no apparant reason is pointless wishful thinking IMO there's LOTS of things they could have done- they could have put them up as prizes next time he needed more publicity. But if there's been signed stuff at two gigs they'd better come up with a policy quickly. And I still have no idea why he couldn't sign the personalised ones a second time (unless it was to avoid the appearence of unfairness and Mika's improvising mucked it up, as is so often the way when people are told what to do but not why).

If Mika wants to stop the M&Gs and autographs for his own benefit, that's a perfectly fair decision to make- though I love him for not making it- but he must have felt hassled in Newcastle, and I still believe a bit of planning could have prevented it.

I haven't been to many gigs, but at previous ones this year I've watched the band and the family and Andy and Mrs P file out while I waited for Mika, and I waited much longer. Nobody commented then, so I assumed it was the norm :dunno: but maybe it was just chance

Five including you, So-Si. You, Vicky, Vicky, Freddie and I got one, but I don't think anyone else really knew what they were. There might be a couple more but he said we were lucky to get hold of them so I'm guessing there definitely won't have been more than ten.

I don't know- I think I saw kids with them but I'm not certain. I gathered that the plain ones weren't selling well in Leeds before the gig- though other stuff was- but I'd still be surprised if no-one bought one before or during the gig. Ironically, I wouldn't have mine if I'd remembered to put one of the plain ones from Leeds in my bag- I wouldn't have gone to the merch stand again.

To Laurel's story I can only say, that was unfortunate. It does make sense that he won't sign the notebooks but really, I wouldn't have thought about that if I bought one, either. :dunno:

In fact, it still amazes me how he never seems the slightest bit overchallenged or besieged at the sight of the crowds of people waiting for him after a show, hoping for his attention. And he always delivers. As long as you are willing to join the queue or - if there is no such thing - throw yourself into the mob.

Considering everything I ever saw and heard from and about Mika, I'd be very surprised if his refusal was linked to the person asking for a signature. And obviously this was not the case. It was a matter of the item, right? He could have asked for something else. And it honestly wouldn't surprise me even slighty if he had. But I also believe that there should be a line when it comes to expectations. Mika is everything but average when it comes to the way he treats his fans. I'm sure I say this for the 400th time on this forum, but: If you don't expect so much, you have a good chance to get a pleasant surprise. And you won't find yourself disappointed if you don't get the bonus on top of the bonus.

The hassle is probably with over emotional teenagers seeing Mika sign EVERYTHING but what they bought then compalining on the web that Mika was unfair to them. People are never gonna like it when Mika (or anyone) works his way down a line signing things but misses them out for no apparant reason- and leaving it to mika to explain the situation was silly IMO. Newcastle was a lovely lovely gig (OK, I'm biased) and I hate to think a generous act has resulted in bad publicity for Mika

Mellody definitely posted about the excercise books from Ireland- Dublin, I think. Which reminds me- I keep coming into this thread to find the photos of my plain exercise book for the merchandise thread, then getting distracted.

And Mrs P is a tough lady Christine, I bet she doesn't have any trouble walking around London late at night. Gangstas probably cross over to the other side of the street when they see her coming. :aah:

She's lovely, really.

Yes, I spent some time with her working on the planets. Although honestly Yasmine and Mika were being the hard-asses that day. Mika really put the fear of god into me :lmfao:

The last Hammersmith gig was 2 years ago though so I was surprised. I thought her kids were really harsh abandoning her like that. :naughty:

I'm sure I say this for the 400th time on this forum, but: If you don't expect so much, you have a good chance to get a pleasant surprise. And you won't find yourself disappointed if you don't get the bonus on top of the bonus.

I know this seems easier said than done. But it works. REALLY. Listen up people. Really!

I think after Mika cancelled 3 of the first 5 gigs I'd bought tickets for I learned to appreciate the wonder of him just turning up and singing at all. Everything else is gravy. :naughty:

What makes me LOL is how he's always so ready to sing everything and anything :aah:. The other day, some girlies were chatting away and trying to pose with him for a pic, and he just shrugged it off and looked the other way, and went: "so, anything else to sign here?". That was just so hilarious :lmfao:

He was totally matter of fact and unfazed. I :wub2: him when he does those things.

Yes, I spent some time with her working on the planets. Although honestly Yasmine and Mika were being the hard-asses that day. Mika really put the fear of god into me :lmfao:

Yeah, she was being lovely that day, like everyone else, but I think that with her and Yasmine it's she same as with Mika: They are all lovely, but you do NOT want to get on their bad books.

I think that Yasmine was being the hardest in Toronto :teehee:. Mika tried his "bad cop" routine at the start but he soon lost the edge :lmfao: especially after he came trying to get our candy and stuck it in his pocket :roftl:. He will never outdo that one in my eyes.

Or when he was begging Bab to be a BG on the show the following day and she wasn't having any of it, and he just kept asking her :lmfao: that was just freaking hilarious.

Edited by sariflor

I know this seems easier said than done. But it works. REALLY. Listen up people. Really!

:

But Christine, it's not people on here that are complaining about MIKA, so telling us not to expect anything is never gonna do any good. Though comforting people who are disappointed does do good, IMO, in keeping these things shorter.

And selling Mika to the general public is a job worth doing well- and it wasn't done well in this instance, I don't think- so I said so.