REPORT/PICS/VIDS: MIKA - O2 Academy Newcastle, FEB 24 -2010

guylainem123

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i didn't realise when everyone said bouncy they actually meant LITERALLY bouncy, like a trampoline!!! :aah:

Its insane huh? :roftl:

Then again .. most people were bouncing up and down , the last few songs was just constant :wub2:

Its just a great little venue , maybe after the 3rd album we will all be heading to arenas

Then again .. most people were bouncing up and down , the last few songs was just constant :wub2:

Its just a great little venue , maybe after the 3rd album we will all be heading to arenas

Nooooo - not arenas - Mika just a tiny dot on the horizon :tears:

I am not trying to minimize anyone's disappointments but a couple of negative reports about this gig make me wonder if a little perspective might be in order here. You buy a ticket to a concert, you get a concert. I really can't imagine Mika disappointed anyone in that respect. By all accounts he gave a stellar performance like he does virtually every night.

EVERYONE has great nights and average nights when it comes to Mika. I have had some extraordinary experiences with Mika but I was also going to gigs for OVER 2 YEARS before I ever got the chance to meet him.

You fans in the UK are extremely fortunate. You can travel around to see him many times a year at an affordable price - oftentimes you get free entry to events. To say that you've gotten what you've paid for when you've seen Mika is a gross understatement IMO.

I don't understand how anyone can be unhappy with him or his people when they come away from a gig. They give fans more than anyone has a right to demand and I think all the active gig goers here have enjoyed the benefits of that generosity at one time or another.

Anyway, just remember there is always a next time. :wink2:

it actually is! :aah:

:no: not arenas :aah: i much prefer the smaller gigs :wub2:

I am not trying to minimize anyone's disappointments but a couple of negative reports about this gig make me wonder if a little perspective might be in order here. You buy a ticket to a concert, you get a concert. I really can't imagine Mika disappointed anyone in that respect. By all accounts he gave a stellar performance like he does virtually every night.

EVERYONE has great nights and average nights when it comes to Mika. I have had some extraordinary experiences with Mika but I was also going to gigs for OVER 2 YEARS before I ever got the chance to meet him.

You fans in the UK are extremely fortunate. You can travel around to see him many times a year at an affordable price - oftentimes you get free entry to events. To say that you've gotten what you've paid for when you've seen Mika is a gross understatement IMO.

I don't understand how anyone can be unhappy with him or his people when they come away from a gig. They give fans more than anyone has a right to demand and I think all the active gig goers here have enjoyed the benefits of that generosity at one time or another.

Anyway, just remember there is always a next time. :wink2:

:yay: Here comes Christine's patronising post as per normal ... which for once I won't bloody ignore ... so I'm in a queue .. and ask him to sign a notebook I'd just bought for Keti ... cos' she's my penpal and she's been ill lately ... and he flatly refuses to sign it ... and I'm stood next to Mikafish and Jazzy ... and they ask the same thing .... and he does ... and that's ok is it ... right ... it's not ok with me ... I didn't want anything for myself - and I know he saw me looking completely bewildered and confused when he signed both of theirs .... but whatever ... you have your views I have mine ... I got upset over it ... I'm flipping human ... :aah:

:yay: Here comes Christine's patronising post as per normal ... which for once I won't bloody ignore ... so I'm in a queue .. and ask him to sign a notebook I'd just bought for Keti ... cos' she's my penpal and she's been ill lately ... and he flatly refuses to sign it ... and I'm stood next to Mikafish and Jazzy ... and they ask the same thing .... and he does ... and that's ok is it ... right ... it's not ok with me ... I didn't want anything for myself - and I know he saw me looking completely bewildered and confused when he signed both of theirs .... but whatever ... you have your views I have mine ... I got upset over it ... I'm flipping human ... :aah:

I know it was gutting Laurel, it really was and I'd have been upset, but he did say 'I'm really sorry but I can't sign it'. It wasn't like he blanked you completely (I'm not having a go here, I'm just trying to level it all out) and he didn't sign mine and Vicky's, he just wrote four random words, so it wasn't AS hypocritical as it would have been had he signed ours. I do completely see why you were upset though, but as Vicky said, it wasn't personal, it's just that you were the one who had the let down, which was exaccerbated by others getting good moments.

Still, in the past now, and we've got Sunday to look forward to. :thumb_yello:

I thought I read an explanation here for why he can sign some books and not others...? Fans are not entitled to signatures just because they buy merchandise. He didn't sign ANYTHING for ANYONE in Belfast, Toronto, LA, etc, etc, etc.

If you and others want to make yourself miserable over going to a Mika gig you can knock yourself out. I just don't understand it and I never will. :blink:

I thought I read an explanation here for why he can sign some books and not others...? Fans are not entitled to signatures just because they buy merchandise. He didn't sign ANYTHING for ANYONE in Belfast, Toronto, LA, etc, etc, etc.

If you and others want to make yourself miserable over going to a Mika gig you can knock yourself out. I just don't understand it and I never will. :blink:

I think it was more the fact that Mika wrote in mine and Vicky's books after saying he couldn't sign Laurel's, which was just a bit of a slap in the face, even though it wasn't personal at all. It's not like she was upset because there was no M&G.

I think it was more the fact that Mika wrote in mine and Vicky's books after saying he couldn't sign Laurel's, which was just a bit of a slap in the face, even though it wasn't personal at all. It's not like she was upset because there was no M&G.

Sorry Jazzy I just miss the days when everyone was excited to have any kind of contact with Mika. Not complaining that he didn't do this and didn't do that for them. Unless he cancels a gig I don't understand what there is to complain about.

Sorry Jazzy I just miss the days when everyone was excited to have any kind of contact with Mika. Not complaining that he didn't do this and didn't do that for them. Unless he cancels a gig I don't understand what there is to complain about.

Oh yeah but it's that singled out feeling that can't help but bring you down. Of course we all feel dead lucky to be fans of someone who comes out after almost every show, but Laurel was surrounded by people who were getting stuff signed and she was the only one who he didn't sign for. I think anyone would feel a bit down after that.

Oh yeah but it's that singled out feeling that can't help but bring you down. Of course we all feel dead lucky to be fans of someone who comes out after almost every show, but Laurel was surrounded by people who were getting stuff signed and she was the only one who he didn't sign for. I think anyone would feel a bit down after that.

I'm not going to continue to talk about Laurel like she's not here and this wasn't meant as an attack on her anyway. We're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

I'm not going to continue to talk about Laurel like she's not here and this wasn't meant as an attack on her anyway. We're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

Yeah, I just get what she's saying, though maybe it's cos I was there too, but I do understand what you're saying as well, there's a happy medium in between I think. :biggrin2:

Yeah, I just get what she's saying, though maybe it's cos I was there too, but I do understand what you're saying as well, there's a happy medium in between I think. :biggrin2:

Yes the happy part usually comes at the next gig and that's what I mean about maintaining a little perspective. Sorry if it sounds patronizing but I speak from experience. For anyone who is lucky enough to be a regular gig goer there is ALWAYS a next time. So try not to let this less-than-perfect time get you down.

I was banging on about Ireland potential to Blue Sky while she was still feeling sorry about Tokyo. I show no mercy that way. :naughty:

Yes the happy part usually comes at the next gig and that's what I mean about maintaining a little perspective. Sorry if it sounds patronizing but I speak from experience. For anyone who is lucky enough to be a regular gig goer there is ALWAYS a next time. So try not to let this less-than-perfect time get you down.

I was banging on about Ireland potential to Blue Sky while she was still feeling sorry about Tokyo. I show no mercy that way. :naughty:

Yeah, we've got Sunday to look forward to and it's gonna be great, I know it is. It goes in peaks and troughs, the good stuff leaves you feeling high for weeks and the bad stuff makes you feel really down, but after the initial sadness you get over it, realise that it's not anything to do with you, it's just the way sh*t happened, and you look forward to the next gig. That's why it's great to go to so many because if you DO miss an opportunity, there's next time and it's not too far away for us, luckily. :biggrin2:

London is always a little bit of heaven and a little bit of hell (for me). But I do hope you all enjoy it. :thumb_yello:

Yeah, it's pretty manic but I've got a good feeling about this one. I'm sure we'll have a good time no matter what. :aah:

Yeah, it's pretty manic but I've got a good feeling about this one. I'm sure we'll have a good time no matter what. :aah:

I don't know how you can tell one gig from the next at this point or muster up so much enthusiasm for another. Ah to be 20 and still have all my brain cells and body parts in tact again. :naughty:

I don't know how you can tell one gig from the next at this point or muster up so much enthusiasm for another. Ah to be 20 and still have all my brain cells and body parts in tact again. :naughty:

I thought I'd find it difficult but it's actually surprisingly easy. I was totally pumped up for Newcastle on Wednesday, and was hyper all day, then yesterday I was mega excited for Big Girling it again but as for remembering all the separate ones, it helps that I was with different people for different gigs. And the videos help to jog my memory as well. :aah:

The only one I didn't really enjoy was Glasgow because I was tired and the bit I watched I didn't really get into. Plus I was uncomfortable cos my corset was too big and then I got off stage after Lollipop and it was like 'oh, okay, that's what it's like'. It was really surreal to be at a Mika gig and not feeling on top of the world though. It felt like I wasn't even there. It was probably all nerves and worry about Love Today cos we barely did any rehearsal.

I do need the days off in between though, I really really do, haha. All this fangurling is hard work!

Here is my report.

Arrived at Newcastle with Mikafish, Sparkly and FD, and went to the venue where at the time no one was at, but we found out later that Laurel and Vicky had been there already, but gone to the Travelodge to take Vickys bags there.

We then went on a hunt for something, that I've wanted to give to Mika for a while but couldn't track down. Went to a couple of shops, but again struck out (later searched around online and FINALLY found one, and now, fingers crossed, should have it in time for Bristol). Not saying what it is yet, but it's something that meant a lot to me as a kid, and I'm sure he will like it, as he's talked a lot about the subject recently.

We then went back to the venue, got numbers sorted out, and then took turns in having lunch breaks, and then about 4, some of us went for some refreshments, and then came back to Q for the rest of the afternoon.

It was the most chilled out Q I've ever been in, had a great afternoon.

John came out at 4 to take the volunteer BGs and LGs in, I'm not sure there were any MFCers in there, though I think the girl behind us in the Q was, but I could be wrong.

You all know the story with Daisy, so I won't repeat it again, it was a shame she wasn't picked, and perhaps she shouldn't have been invited in the first place, but there were H/S reasons for the decision, I'm sure it wasn't a dig or anything personal. I say this from the perspective of being a H/S officer where I worked for 10 years, and it kind of stuck with me.

We got let in about 7pm, and got fairly good spots at the front. Didn't bring the flag, after the debacle at Glasgow, didn't want to go through that again!

Eric Hassle is really growing on me now!

His songs are quite catchy, and he has a cute drummer too:naughty:

He seemed to be giving Jazzy a LOT of eye contact:wink2::naughty:

We were getting a real exciting buzz between the sets, and when the lights went down the place almost exploded!!!

When David came on to do his bit with the book, everyone was going mental!

I love Newcastle, the atmosphere is always electric, and Wednesday didn't disappoint!

Mika fed off this and performed his backside off, he was outstanding!

A fair bit of eye contact to the whole front row during the night, and we complimented his puppet, really feel the need to get him a little chair to sit it on! Sparkly bought hers along but he didn't seem to see it during the performance, more later:naughty:

I was watching the BGs and LGs both times, as wanted to get a feel for doing it in Birmingham, so got the gist of it. It kind of helped, having an idea of what to do, but you aren't really prepared for it when you get there, but more of that in the Birmingham report.

I would like to say at this point, that every night Mika seems to be getting more and more confident and expressive with the performances. I think the crowds help, as he has great energy to feed off, but in himself, he seems to be finding his feet. It's fantastic to see.

After we lined up down the wall at the back, a far cry from 2 years ago, when it was just 20 people waiting outside.

He made his way down to us, we waited at the end, and I asked him if his puppet wanted a date with Sparklys puppet, to which he replied "You need help!" He walked a few steps, looked back and said, "and that's something coming from me" and grinned.

I like our little chats:roftl::roftl::roftl:

He then finished signing went to the car and said goodbye, and we waved and shouted goodbye back.

We then walked up to meet the band coming out, Imma and Jimmy first. I introduced myself to Imma and she said hello with a big smile, Jimmy pointed and said "Rose" and gave me a big hug. Jimmy rocks!

We chatted briefly, I thought he had done the rock pose I had requested that day and he said if he had, it wasn't intentional, Mika wouldn't like it:naughty:

(It was Mark King of Level 42, he plays with his guitar against his chest and slaps the strings with his thumb, funk style)

I then moved on to Cherisse, got the legendary super hug, and a little chat. I asked where Martin was, and she said he was there a minute ago, he'd gone for a walk. Then I asked was it my imagination, or was the 'Fro getting bigger? To which she replied yes, a bit:naughty:

I asked Imma what happened to hers, and she said she's not wearing it anymore.

I then moved on to David, shook his hand and said hi, he said hi back. I felt a bit stupid, as I couldn't actually think of anything to say to him:naughty:

They then went off, and that was about it really.

We went back to the hotel Sparkly and chilled out with hot chocolate and late night snacks. Perfect end to the perfect day:thumb_yello:

I like the puppet (I must admit I thought I might.) Newcastle got a big thankyou for not being mean about it like Leeds was :naughty: I'm not sure the encore is the best time for Toy Boy though

But the people I've told that Mika reminded me of John Cleese and the Ministry of Silly Walks (Monty Python) at the start of one of his songs have known which song I meant!

:roftl::naughty::floor: how can I EVER watch him do it again without thinking of this, that is mean of you to put that image in my head :floor:

Edited by sparkly1

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/leisure/5030672.Mika__Newcastle_O2_Academy/

Mika, Newcastle O2 Academy

10:47am Friday 26th February 2010

By Sophie Stratford »

GOLDEN pop phenomenon Mika stormed onto the Academy stage, excited for attention.

He played a set mixing albums The Boy Who Knew Too Much and Life In Cartoon Motion.

Track Toy Boy is delirious and enchanting, it is definitely the creepiest track,

with Grace Kelly being the most thrilling.

The single, Blame It On The Girls, is a massively happy timeless singalong.

Pop bliss, marrying skittering percussion and hand claps, with floorstomping piano

and a swoonworthy chorus, with Mika doing his best to impersonate a Fifties’ movie star.

Throughout his fantastic set, raw attitude was present in his performance

as his strutted about the stage. His music is true funky disco pop,

accompanied by his breathtaking falsetto. Track Love Today went down tremendously

well with the sell-out crowd, who danced to the upbeat, piano-led song.

Mika’s show was spectacular, with dancers and backing singers emphasising

his performance, but taking a back seat as he owned the stage. He pranced around,

showing the audience – a mixture of all ages, from toddlers to pensioners – what he is made of.

Mika is flamboyant and original and is one of the most respected artists around.

yeeey :thumb_yello:

Awwww I am mega mega fangirly , I just get SO wrapped up in the MFC world .. thats all :wub2:

Not many men can make me loose my breath , to him I am like gulp hiiiiii:mf_lustslow:

He puts me off my balance , in my head I wanted to say .. I WANT TO BE A BIG GIRL DAMN YOU .. in fact I said .. hiiiiiiiiii :blush-anim-cl:

awww Freddie, join the club *hugs*