REPORT/PICS/VIDS: MIKA - O2 Academy Newcastle, FEB 24 -2010

guylainem123

http://www.whatsonne.co.uk/gb/music/reviews-and-previews/review-mika-o2-academy-newcastle

Review: Mika, O2 Academy, Newcastle

By Nicola Fish, Evening Chronicle

On February 25, 2010

SOLD Out! So the sign screamed, and of course the line that circled around the Academy was proof enough.

With fans lined up aged seven to 70, Mika has a broad appeal and I was about to find out why.

The show began with a curtain falling, revealing the huge screen covered with Mika’s animated cartoons. As an eerie French song screeches to a climax and the cartoons scribble wildly out of control, out bursts Mika starting the show with Rain, which includes the lyrics of ‘I hate days like this’ and which doesn’t seem like an obvious choice.

It’s not, but that’s why it works because one thing Mika is not is predictable.

With crowd pleasers like Big Girls Any Other World, Mika showcased his wide range of depth and emotion and you could tell he believed in every single word he sang.

His conversation with the audience was minimal but it didn’t matter as the songs spoke for themselves.

With limited props (a giant inflatable leg and an umbrella) and no real costume changes, the spotlight was on Mika.

Barely pausing to take a breath, time sped by as he belted out hit after future hit.

In the music industry where style is often chosen over substance, it was refreshing to see someone perform in such a free, unrestrained style.

There was no choreography; everything just seemed to happen organically.

Mika is very much an in the moment performer and does what he wants without alienating the audience. Part of his appeal is the fact he doesn’t take himself too seriously. He openly admits to the audience that he always screws up his part on the piano and that he’s trying to hide that he needs to wipe his nose!

All this meant the audience was like putty in his hands. Even the dreaded ‘I’m going to sing some new songs’ was met with cheers and the audience sang along with every tune. Mika’s care-free attitude was infectious, from the butch man with his wife who knew all the words to ‘Everybody’s going to love today’ to the woman swaying in the completely wrong direction.

Ending with a confetti strewn performance of Golden and an amazing encore of Grace Kelly and Lollipop, the crowd were left wishing this was one party that would never end.

wonderful review!! t4p

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumb_yello:....What do you think about it, FD? :wub2:

Ooooh yes Daisy- erm, David! :teehee:

Somebody did tell Mika.

He called her a nasty b!tch.:naughty:

Proof:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny3ygpjkFFM :aah::roftl:

:lmfao:

:bow:

That was awesome!!!

:naughty: next time somebody yell "MICHAEL JACKSON!" when he brings it out! :teehee:

:lmfao:

And video his reaction!!! :teehee:

And congrats to me for getting to 13,000 posts!

Edited by nico_collard
I forgotted my 13,000th post!

i like this one too!

more soon:blush-anim-cl:

DSCN2201.jpg

Oooh, that's a great pic, I love the lighting, it's so atmospheric :teehee:

Sara was right. It's so ugly. :shocked:

Between that and Mika's big crazy tooth I think I'll be having nightmares too. :aah:

Well, obviously more people were thinking the same thing, look at this comment that someone made on my YT video :roftl::

ahh, i was at this gig, and was pretty near the front but a bit behind you, you shouted ugly puppet!! we were all thinking it :) very cool xx

that puppet looks like michael jackson! :blink::shocked:

He DOES look like Jacko, I actually thought that before. He's just really freaky looking, he gives me the creeps :aah:

Well, obviously more people were thinking the same thing, look at this comment that someone made on my YT video :roftl::

ahh, i was at this gig, and was pretty near the front but a bit behind you, you shouted ugly puppet!! we were all thinking it :) very cool xx

He DOES look like Jacko, I actually thought that before. He's just really freaky looking, he gives me the creeps :aah:

I'm an ugly toy

in a mad guy's show

if you'd take me outta here

i'd gladly pack my rags and go

Got a spooky face

peeps say i give them the creeps

She called me ugly puppet

and so did other peeps

More than just my frustration

i am sick of lame captions

need a life quick cut my strings

i'm so sick of these weird things

They're the meanest fans that

has ever been

they say i look like Jacko

Mika fans are so mean

All my shoes are crap

Now i feel like ****

I'll ask Louboutin

to make a pair that'll fit

P1020636.jpg

that puppet looks like michael jackson! :blink::shocked:

This exactly what i wrote on another thread!!!i am happy to see that i am not the only one to get that feeling?!:biggrin2:

maybe he got it as a free extra together with the jacko louboutin shoes. :teehee:

I'm an ugly toy

in a mad guy's show

Got a spooky face

and so did other peeps

has ever been

Mika fans are so mean

All my shoes are crap

Now i feel like ****

I'll ask Louboutin

:lmao:

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/leisure/5030672.Mika__Newcastle_O2_Academy/

Mika, Newcastle O2 Academy

10:47am Friday 26th February 2010

By Sophie Stratford »

GOLDEN pop phenomenon Mika stormed onto the Academy stage, excited for attention.

He played a set mixing albums The Boy Who Knew Too Much and Life In Cartoon Motion.

Track Toy Boy is delirious and enchanting, it is definitely the creepiest track,

with Grace Kelly being the most thrilling.

The single, Blame It On The Girls, is a massively happy timeless singalong.

Pop bliss, marrying skittering percussion and hand claps, with floorstomping piano

and a swoonworthy chorus, with Mika doing his best to impersonate a Fifties’ movie star.

Throughout his fantastic set, raw attitude was present in his performance

as his strutted about the stage. His music is true funky disco pop,

accompanied by his breathtaking falsetto. Track Love Today went down tremendously

well with the sell-out crowd, who danced to the upbeat, piano-led song.

Mika’s show was spectacular, with dancers and backing singers emphasising

his performance, but taking a back seat as he owned the stage. He pranced around,

showing the audience – a mixture of all ages, from toddlers to pensioners – what he is made of.

Mika is flamboyant and original and is one of the most respected artists around.

need to say THANKS!!!! for those who were so kind to me on here. :wub2:

It wasn't MFCers who were being crappy to me... never seen the woman before but had to walk away or would have retaliated.

If you have ANY medical problems you have to tell them :sneaky2: even if they know you are ill and still said was ok to do it....it is devastating to have to go through it all then be taken out of the group and told it is not gonna happen then made to wait outside for 2 hours in the freezing cold in a thin mac as was told to come casual but need to wear something to cover costume.

What I am annoyed about is there was a Mum and her daughter there ...the girl wasn't young and the Mum was going to be a BG till last min and SHE decided not to do it. SHE was allowed to stay inside and watch it all going on cos her daughter still did it where I was cast aside like a piece of rubbish.

I was promised other things that never happened, so that is why I reacted like I did.

It is lack of organisation IMHO everyone is soooo busy they don't know what to do if something goes wrong.

Yes I should have stood my ground and complained as people keep telling me now but I was so excited about it all and i just got upset...couldn't helpnot wailing or anything just a few tears.

I wouldn't bother with Hammersmith but my friend is so excited I won't let him down as I keep my promises!

ps. There is so much more but tbh it is past and don't want to tell the world. One thing is IT IS NOT MIKA's FAULT he will have not known a thing that was going on as he was rehearsing :wink2:

xxx

I'm an ugly toy

in a mad guy's show

Got a spooky face

and so did other peeps

has ever been

Mika fans are so mean

All my shoes are crap

Now i feel like ****

I'll ask Louboutin

P1020636.jpg

Wonka, you are a genius :lmfao: I bow down to you :naughty:

Oh, and to comment on that review, this is something that I noticed since the first show in Belfast. It seems as if Mika has made the band stand back a lot more now, and is taking his center stage position much more than before. He used to be involving the band a lot more earlier on, and now it's a bit like he puts them at the back and only gets them out in the limelight on very few occasions.

Oh, and to comment on that review, this is something that I noticed since the first show in Belfast. It seems as if Mika has made the band stand back a lot more now, and is taking his center stage position much more than before. He used to be involving the band a lot more earlier on, and now it's a bit like he puts them at the back and only gets them out in the limelight on very few occasions.

really? :blink: i think he involves them as much as he always did. his dancing with imma during ggg? his interactions with jimmy during sitm? teasing of david about getting piano parts wrong etc.? lollipop drumming? and david's acting in the beginning, that's more band involvement than ever. you may have a point though in the sense of positions on stage, they used to be more in the front of the stage, next to mika, not behind him. maybe that makes it seem like he's not involving them, but i really can't see a difference in their involvement, compared to previous tours. :dunno:

need to say THANKS!!!! for those who were so kind to me on here. :wub2:

It wasn't MFCers who were being crappy to me... never seen the woman before but had to walk away or would have retaliated.

If you have ANY medical problems you have to tell them :sneaky2: even if they know you are ill and still said was ok to do it....it is devastating to have to go through it all then be taken out of the group and told it is not gonna happen then made to wait outside for 2 hours in the freezing cold in a thin mac as was told to come casual but need to wear something to cover costume.

What I am annoyed about is there was a Mum and her daughter there ...the girl wasn't young and the Mum was going to be a BG till last min and SHE decided not to do it. SHE was allowed to stay inside and watch it all going on cos her daughter still did it where I was cast aside like a piece of rubbish.

I was promised other things that never happened, so that is why I reacted like I did.

It is lack of organisation IMHO everyone is soooo busy they don't know what to do if something goes wrong.

Yes I should have stood my ground and complained as people keep telling me now but I was so excited about it all and i just got upset...couldn't helpnot wailing or anything just a few tears.

I wouldn't bother with Hammersmith but my friend is so excited I won't let him down as I keep my promises!

ps. There is so much more but tbh it is past and don't want to tell the world. One thing is IT IS NOT MIKA's FAULT he will have not known a thing that was going on as he was rehearsing :wink2:

xxx

I'm sorry this happened Daisy, but it's not like you weren't warned in advance not to do it.

I told you last week what it entailed, and that you wouldn't be able to handle it, after doing it myself last night, I know I was right to try to talk you out of it.

It's only something you should do if you are fit and healthy.

I'm sorry this happened Daisy, but it's not like you weren't warned in advance not to do it.

I told you last week what it entailed, and that you wouldn't be able to handle it, after doing it myself last night, I know I was right to try to talk you out of it.

It's only something you should do if you are fit and healthy.

Rose you don't know all the facts (you might think you do but only I know everything) ...so no need to be so condescending.

I didn't get the option of whether I could do it or not that decision was taken away by others. So Nobody knows if I could have done it or not.. being ill or not!!!!

really? :blink: i think he involves them as much as he always did. his dancing with imma during ggg? his interactions with jimmy during sitm? teasing of david about getting piano parts wrong etc.? lollipop drumming? and david's acting in the beginning, that's more band involvement than ever. you may have a point though in the sense of positions on stage, they used to be more in the front of the stage, next to mika, not behind him. maybe that makes it seem like he's not involving them, but i really can't see a difference in their involvement, compared to previous tours. :dunno:

Well, that is exactly my point. Now, he chooses (and stages) very carefully what their involvement is. They are part of the "show" at crucial moments, decided by him, but they are a very different (separate) entity. He is the star, and they are the band. Which is what, IMO, he should have done from day one, to avoid any issues, but in any case I think that he's making a point of it now.

He uses them for his "story telling" when he wants them, and all other times they are clearly backing, not in his line. At some points during his earlier shows, many people even thought that MIKA were a band, because they were all together on stage and everything seemed to be pretty much a combined effort.

Of course I may be wrong and this is all pure coincidence, but I don't think it is :wink2:

I agree with you Mellody. I see it like that too.

Well, that is exactly my point. Now, he chooses (and stages) very carefully what their involvement is. They are part of the "show" at crucial moments, decided by him, but they are a very different (separate) entity. He is the star, and they are the band. Which is what, IMO, he should have done from day one, to avoid any issues, but in any case I think that he's making a point of it now.

He uses them for his "story telling" when he wants them, and all other times they are clearly backing, not in his line. At some points during his earlier shows, many people even thought that MIKA were a band, because they were all together on stage and everything seemed to be pretty much a combined effort.

Of course I may be wrong and this is all pure coincidence, but I don't think it is :wink2:

Maybe it's what you felt, but I don't think there's a huge difference than before. Maybe it depends of the size of the stage, the design, the set...

We can easily see they have fun alltogether :wub2:

But Mika is Mika and not a band, and never was even if the band could have been more in the front :wink2:

The essential is that they have fun on stage !

I agree with you Mellody. I see it like that too.

Maybe it's what you felt, but I don't think there's a huge difference than before. Maybe it depends of the size of the stage, the design, the set...

We can easily see they have fun alltogether :wub2:

But Mika is Mika and not a band, and never was even if the band could have been more in the front :wink2:

The essential is that they have fun on stage !

Oh yes, but I never said that they don't have fun together, or that they don't get on, or anything like that. They have a great chemistry, and have a good time together, clearly. I just see a difference in the way it's "set up" and thought out, that's all. Even in small stages.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else sees it that way.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/leisure/5030672.Mika__Newcastle_O2_Academy/

Mika, Newcastle O2 Academy

10:47am Friday 26th February 2010

By Sophie Stratford »

GOLDEN pop phenomenon Mika stormed onto the Academy stage, excited for attention.

He played a set mixing albums The Boy Who Knew Too Much and Life In Cartoon Motion.

Track Toy Boy is delirious and enchanting, it is definitely the creepiest track,

with Grace Kelly being the most thrilling.

The single, Blame It On The Girls, is a massively happy timeless singalong.

Pop bliss, marrying skittering percussion and hand claps, with floorstomping piano

and a swoonworthy chorus, with Mika doing his best to impersonate a Fifties’ movie star.

Throughout his fantastic set, raw attitude was present in his performance

as his strutted about the stage. His music is true funky disco pop,

accompanied by his breathtaking falsetto. Track Love Today went down tremendously

well with the sell-out crowd, who danced to the upbeat, piano-led song.

Mika’s show was spectacular, with dancers and backing singers emphasising

his performance, but taking a back seat as he owned the stage. He pranced around,

showing the audience – a mixture of all ages, from toddlers to pensioners – what he is made of.

Mika is flamboyant and original and is one of the most respected artists around.

Ohhhh I just read that review in a newspaper in town :thumb_yello:

Spectacular WAS the word ...

During the last few songs I looked behind me and the crowd once again back to front was jumping amazing to see :wub2:

They are right .. and it makes it very nice.. all ages turn up :thumb_yello:

This is the ticket he signed for me:wub2:

His reaction was .. ohh something to forget (or along those line) .. I said No way !! it was a classic gig .. I wanted to gig it to him .. its very very unique .. but he didnt .. so here you go :biggrin2:

After he signed the ticket he saw this and was also said wow :roftl:

He said .. do you want that signed too .. bless:wub2:

Aawwwww, Freddie all :fangurl:

He gave me a big smile :wub2:

I hope someone posts pics and vids- I did take a couple, but they didn't come out well as I was too far back and don't think I had my camera on the right settings. I know there have been problems with things being reposted for Mikapoints or getting nasty comments, and I know I've seen stuff from other venues, but I'd really like to relive MY gig night

Hes amazing .. I mean I had that album sleeve in my note book and he saw it and said .. do you want that signed too .. I was like :blush-anim-cl: .. ohh I hate asking for too many things and he did that :mf_lustslow:

LOL :aah: So cute, we hardly ever see you this way :roftl:

LOL :aah: So cute, we hardly ever see you this way :roftl:

Awwww I am mega mega fangirly , I just get SO wrapped up in the MFC world .. thats all :wub2:

Not many men can make me loose my breath , to him I am like gulp hiiiiii:mf_lustslow:

He puts me off my balance , in my head I wanted to say .. I WANT TO BE A BIG GIRL DAMN YOU .. in fact I said .. hiiiiiiiiii :blush-anim-cl: