Travel plans to Euro gigs.

RAK1

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply
but they did spot 2 squirrels at the top though :biggrin2:

I'm sure they did :biggrin2:

Just saw this on wikipedia:

Over the past 1,100 years, Eyjafjallajökull has erupted four times: in 920, in 1612, between 1821 and 1823, and in 2010. Each of the first three of these incidents preceded an eruption in the nearby subglacial volcano, Katla.[14] Katla—a much more active volcano known for its powerful subglacial eruptions and its large magma chamber, much larger than that of the Eyjafjallajökull volcano system–has not shown any unusual activity, such as expansion of the crust or seismic activity, in 2010, although geologists have been concerned about its general instability since 1999. Some geophysicists in Iceland support the notion that the recent volcanic eruption at Eyjafjallajökull may trigger a second eruption at Katla, one which would cause major flooding due to melting of glacial ice.

So basically, the second volcano - if it erupted - would cause more local damage than global damage?

Did you get travel insurance? You insurance should cover the refund of the flight and hotel if you can't make it because of circumstances beyond your control, which this is. Phone them and see what they say, but not until you know anything for definite. :thumb_yello:

:

Of course! NOT! :boxed:

I feel I'll be queueing at Bercy at this time next Monday though...I have this feeling inside me... :wub2:

And the second volcano's kicked off. WELL GREAT!!!

That's not true!

:teehee: i just read a correction... 2nd volcano did NOT erupt, but it was scientists who had moved the camera :dunno:

See? :wink2:

Of course! NOT! :boxed:

I feel I'll be queueing at Bercy at this time next Monday though...I have this feeling inside me... :wub2:

That's not true!

See? :wink2:

You didn't get travel insurance?!?!

And I know, it was a false alarm. I reported during the alarm bit, and Guylaine reported when the 'false' got tagged on the beginning.

As of 17 April 2010 (2010 -04-17)[update], the eruption was continuing, but less explosively; the plume was rising to 5 kilometres (3 mi) rather than 13 kilometres (8 mi) previously; not high enough to travel across Europe.[9] The forecast for 18 April at 06:00 showed a significant plume continuing over northern Europe.[10] At 20:00 UTC on 16 April the ash cloud reached Kazakhstan. Jet stream forecasts indicated the ash cloud plume would persist until at least 21 April, shifting to the south and affecting more southerly parts of France and Italy.

:boxed:

I'm sure they did :biggrin2:

Just saw this on wikipedia:

Over the past 1,100 years, Eyjafjallajökull has erupted four times: in 920, in 1612, between 1821 and 1823, and in 2010. Each of the first three of these incidents preceded an eruption in the nearby subglacial volcano, Katla.

I don't think it's Katla they're worrying so much about now - Katla is SO April 18th. :naughty:

Now they're worrying about another player on the volcano scene - Hekla.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/290846

The concern for global air traffic isn't lava though - it's ash, particularly high columns of ash. So technically any of these volcanos could erupt, but as long as they don't spew ash high into the atmosphere the ash won't reach the higher level winds needed to blow it all over Europe.

Stupid volcanos. :sneaky2:

Hmmm reckon it's coaches for Dammy! ORRRR getting a ferry from Hull to Rotterdam and driving down to Amsterdam?

I looked at the ferries, way too expensive for me, sticking with the coach.

I just watched the news and it looks like flights ARE beginning to move in northern Europe again as early as tomorrow, so don't panic just yet - by the weekend it might be lots better :thumb_yello:

:teehee: i just read a correction... 2nd volcano did NOT erupt, but it was scientists who had moved the camera :dunno:

That would explain this tweet:naughty:

AshAlerts

We are currently working hard to get official confirmation about reported eruption of Hekla vulcano. Media reports inconsistent! #ashtag

the european ministry of transport has just decided, together with authorities and experts, that tomorrow is the day when planes can start to fly again, zone by zone.

let's hope the second volcano does not spoil this!:shocked:

I don't think it's Katla they're worrying so much about now - Katla is SO April 18th. :naughty:

Now they're worrying about another player on the volcano scene - Hekla.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/290846

The concern for global air traffic isn't lava though - it's ash, particularly high columns of ash. So technically any of these volcanos could erupt, but as long as they don't spew ash high into the atmosphere the ash won't reach the higher level winds needed to blow it all over Europe.

Stupid volcanos. :sneaky2:

Hekla? Oh for goodness sake. What's Iceland anyway, the cold version of freakin' Hawaii?! :freak:

About the whole ash/lava thing, that's kinda what I meant lol. But even if lava does come out, doesn't smoke come out as well?

Ah!

That explains why I can't find any news here reporting the second volcano erupting.

I was wondering that too, nothing news... But Finnish news pages still tell that there will be a new ash cloud tomorrow. I really can't trust that I can use my flight on Thursday evening. I hate this situation, would love to know for sure :aah:

I was wondering that too, nothing news... But Finnish news pages still tell that there will be a new ash cloud tomorrow. I really can't trust that I can use my flight on Thursday evening. I hate this situation, would love to know for sure :aah:

Did you see one of my older posts? On the news today a Finnish aeroplane flew and the ash melted into the engine! :shocked:

the european ministry of transport has just decided, together with authorities and experts, that tomorrow is the day when planes can start to fly again, zone by zone.

let's hope the second volcano does not spoil this!:shocked:

Yep, a few hours after my flight was due to depart. :crybaby:

Did you see one of my older posts? On the news today a Finnish aeroplane flew and the ash melted into the engine! :shocked:

Where did you find that information? I can't find nothing like that from Finnish new pages... :blink:

Are we gonna have to bring back month-long voyages on a ship across the sea? :teehee:

Yes. And Mika will become a cruise ship entertainer. We will just spend our days floating about on the ocean, stuffing ourselves with food all day, and then working off the excess fat at a nightly Mika gig.

Where did you find that information? I can't find nothing like that from Finnish new pages... :blink:

Um...on the news...on TV...:aah: There were pictures and everything!

Yes. And Mika will become a cruise ship entertainer. We will just spend our days floating about on the ocean, stuffing ourselves with food all day, and then working off the excess fat at a nightly Mika gig.

Like I said ages ago, Mika should do a cruise gig! Or Ferry gig, whatever he can afford :roftl:

Done and done! Where do I sign up? :punk:

This boat will do.

http://www.cunard.com/OurShips/default.asp?Ship=QM2

Archived