• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The latest issue also includes the review of the record, from the same author of the interview.

So, I took the liberty of translating it. :wink2:

It's nothing compared to the huge work of Lucrezia :aah: but I always find interesting to hear some opinion from experts in the field.

So, here's the scan (thanks to theriversaint)

recensioneXLsett12.jpg

MIKA

The Origin Of Love / Island-Universal

Vote: 7.1

It had to happen, sooner or later. Mika is grown up, as a man and as a pop artist. With his third album, he has lost the naivety of his first two records: miniature musical, camp atmospheres, comic-pop and school-play thrills are faded away (fake but not at all, 'cause Mika is a self-confident performer).

Apart from the title track, which opens and deceive with a medieval chorus, which tells the "machos" to take a running jump, The Origin Of Love is actually the birth of a more compliant (=homologated) popstar. [i thought about this :sad:]

With the single Celebrate he fights against Scissor Sisters, Maroon 5 and Black Eyed Peas for the conquest of the ether with a pop hit where 'fun' rhymes with 'we just begun'.

Kids is even a step forward towards the spiritualistic side of Michael Jackson (the chorus has a gospel progression), but it's not about taking care of the world but just about "another California day".

He tries to get back to the naïve pop of the first two records with Lola (a prominent beat and choirs in plenty) and partly he succeed, especially when he not rely on falsetto (come on, Mika, you have a great voice even with low tones!).

Overrated is a dance track which could explain the undiscovered connections between Village People and Maroon 5.

And Stardust is in line with a over-produced pop-dance which seems to obscure his prodigious voice.

Mika left the backyard where he used to play and sing with his friends, in order to get out and compete with heavyweights of pop music.

Little else remains of the boy who knew too much and who played to imitate Freddie Mercury and Elton John. In order to be pleasant to us, at least, because there's some extremely appealing material for radios here.

The latest issue also includes the review of the record, from the same author of the interview.

It's nothing compared to the huge work of Lucrezia :aah: but I always find interesting to hear some opinion from experts in the field.

recensioneXLsett12.jpg

MIKA

It had to happen, sooner or later. Mika is grown up, as a man and as a pop artist. With his third album, he has lost the naivety of his first two records: miniature musical, camp atmospheres, comic-pop and school-play thrills are faded away (fake but not at all, 'cause Mika is a self-confident performer).

Apart from the title track, which opens and deceive with a medieval chorus, which tells the "machos" to take a running jump, The Origin Of Love is actually the birth of a more compliant (=homologated) popstar. [i thought about this :sad:]

With the single Celebrate he fights against Scissor Sisters, Maroon 5 and Black Eyed Peas for the conquest of the ether with a pop hit where 'fun' rhymes with 'we just begun'.

Kids is even a step forward towards the spiritualistic side of Michael Jackson (the chorus has a gospel progression), but it's not about taking care of the world but just about "another California day".

He tries to get back to the naïve pop of the first two records with Lola (a prominent beat and choirs in plenty) and partly he succeed, especially when he not rely on falsetto (come on, Mika, you have a great voice even with low tones!).

Overrated is a dance track which could explain the undiscovered connections between Village People and Maroon 5.

And Stardust is in line with a over-produced pop-dance which seems to obscure his prodigious voice.

Mika left the backyard where he used to play and sing with his friends, in order to get out and compete with heavyweights of pop music.

Little else remains of the boy who knew too much and who played to imitate Freddie Mercury and Elton John. In order to be pleasant to us, at least, because there's some extremely appealing material for radios here.

I think the best line (apart from the compliment about his lower voice) is that the songs would be great on the radio. I really think that is what Mika has tried to achieve with this album, and I don't blame him for that. Some decent radio-play is what he needs.

i wish they wouldn't compare him to other artists though. At least he has variety in his work, unlike people like Katy Perry, who recycles the same tune and still gets critics saying how great she is, and Cheryl Cole, who can't even sing, and gets interviewed on Radio One like she's some great artist. It's very unfair imo.

I think the best line (apart from the compliment about his lower voice) is that the songs would be great on the radio. I really think that is what Mika has tried to achieve with this album, and I don't blame him for that. Some decent radio-play is what he needs.

i wish they wouldn't compare him to other artists though. At least he has variety in his work, unlike people like Katy Perry, who recycles the same tune and still gets critics saying how great she is, and Cheryl Cole, who can't even sing, and gets interviewed on Radio One like she's some great artist. It's very unfair imo.

totally agree with you here :thumb_yello:

I wish he stops comparing his own music with other artists. Why does he need these stories about Fleetwood Mac and others. :sneaky2: I don't like that. It bothers me, cause I always hear FMac (and I don't like them) now when I listen to Origin of Love. :doh:

I wish he stops comparing his own music with other artists. Why does he need these stories about Fleetwood Mac and others. :sneaky2: I don't like that. It bothers me, cause I always hear FMac (and I don't like them) now when I listen to Origin of Love. :doh:

I agree with that. I suppose he's being honest about what influences him, but he should stop saying things like that because it encourages others to say it too, and not with much respect. let's face it, there's no song, or piece of music, these days, that hasn't been influenced by someone else. But I think that when Mika uses influences, he puts his own spin on the finished creation. That's why he takes so long to finish an album, because he wants it to be perfect in his own eyes. I wish critics would realize how much of HIMSELF he does put into his work, and stop trying to put him down all the time!

I agree with that. I suppose he's being honest about what influences him, but he should stop saying things like that because it encourages others to say it too, and not with much respect. let's face it, there's no song, or piece of music, these days, that hasn't been influenced by someone else. But I think that when Mika uses influences, he puts his own spin on the finished creation. That's why he takes so long to finish an album, because he wants it to be perfect in his own eyes. I wish critics would realize how much of HIMSELF he does put into his work, and stop trying to put him down all the time!

Not only in music. There's no work of art completely original. There must be some influence even unconsciously. Every human being is influenced from early childhood with lots of information and it's just a matter of personality, creativity and ingenious how can one combine all these things and create a new work of art or music or even a book, movie, poem, whatever. It seems to me that Mika uses his influences more like an homage to a group or artist than like a pure copying of their sound. If I'm right I just wish those critics realize that too.:teehee:

Edited by nenartus

• 1 month later...

It's nothing compared to the huge work of Lucrezia but I always find interesting to hear some opinion from experts in the field.

recensioneXLsett12.jpg

MIKA

s

Thanks a lot for translating this Eugenio :huglove:

To me this is a bit sad to read because I love TOOL and I don't think Mika lost any of his style and originality. That CD is so Mika :wub2: If his music is played on all the radios I'll be happy :thumb_yello: but all this comparing tires me . No one can sing like Mika and make songs like his :wub2:

But I agree his voice is fantastic in low tones :fangurl: but I'm also addicted to his falsetto :fangurl: and as a conclusion I will always be a die hard Mika fan as long as I live :wub2::thumb_yello::naughty:

Edited by crazyaboutmika

• 2 weeks later...

YES! :thumb_yello: absolutely agree

• 2 weeks later...

Mika will write for XL again soon!

Thanks for the news Sara!

you're welcome!!

Yes, and I read just now on FB that La Repubblica XL spoke with Mika after the gig and he told he'll come back soon with some surprises...

• 2 weeks later...