• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

just read the article, and of course agree with what has been said here, that it's very touching. and i totally agree with his conclusions about health care systems.

just 2 things that confuse me a bit. first, this sentence:

"We have never grown up with health insurance and my sister as a UK resident is proud of the fact that she did not need to."

he just said before that they do have a health insurance in the uk? :blink: or does he mean PRIVATE insurance in this case? that's the only way it'd make sense to me... :dunno:

and second, the fact that he said you shouldn't exist on your own, but then that when he saw paloma, he didn't want her to know he was there. on the first time reading this, i must say it shocked me. if i'd been in paloma's situation, i'd have wanted to see and have my hand held by someone i know and love, instead of just all those unfamiliar faces of firemen and ambulance. thinking about it more closely though, i can think of several reasons why he preferred to hide. maybe he wasn't able to stay calm enough, so he would've scared her more than helped her. and/or another family member was already by her side - surely 5 people right there would've been too much. or since she isn't me, she indeed might've preferred to see none of her beloved ones there, and mika knew this. whatever... so of course i don't blame him, i'm sure he did the best thing in this situation. it just confused me when i read this, and i had to think for a bit to find what reasons he might've had for that.

just read the article, and of course agree with what has been said here, that it's very touching. and i totally agree with his conclusions about health care systems.

"We have never grown up with health insurance and my sister as a UK resident is proud of the fact that she did not need to."

he just said before that they do have a health insurance in the uk? :blink: or does he mean PRIVATE insurance in this case? that's the only way it'd make sense to me... :dunno:

and second, the fact that he said you shouldn't exist on your own, but then that when he saw paloma, he didn't want her to know he was there. on the first time reading this, i must say it shocked me. if i'd been in paloma's situation, i'd have wanted to see and have my hand held by someone i know and love, instead of just all those unfamiliar faces of firemen and ambulance. thinking about it more closely though, i can think of several reasons why he preferred to hide. maybe he wasn't able to stay calm enough, so he would've scared her more than helped her. and/or another family member was already by her side - surely 5 people right there would've been too much. or since she isn't me, she indeed might've preferred to see none of her beloved ones there, and mika knew this. whatever... so of course i don't blame him, i'm sure he did the best thing in this situation. it just confused me when i read this, and i had to think for a bit to find what reasons he might've had for that.

About the first thing, he probably meant private :thumb_yello:

And about the second thing, I'm gonna give an example, it's totally different, but it would help me state my point :thumb_yello:

Some years ago I was on holidays with my parents, and my mum felt down knocking her head with a concret pot very badly and I was with her and started crying and screaming like crazy and it was helpfull since she didn't faint :aah: but on the other hand that only made her more nervous, she was there on the floor couldn't move and all I was doing was screaming.

The thing is that in a moment like that (not similar to my example at all of course, I am not trying to compare) you can't truly control yourself, maybe he didn't want to be seen by his sister cause that's the only thing he could think of or maybe he was conscious enough to think that that would be protective so that she wouldn't have too many people around or that she simply didn't look at him worried for her which would make her nervous.

I hope that was understandable :aah:

Yes, we do have private health insurance too, but it's the individuals choice whether they get it or not.

On the whole, most people get their healthcare on the NHS:thumb_yello:

Yes, I also take it in the same way that you interpreted it, that he means private health insurance as opposed as the state provided (NHS) one.

Yes, we do have private health insurance too, but it's the individuals choice whether they get it or not.

On the whole, most people get their healthcare on the NHS:thumb_yello:

Many (or even most?) employers provide the private health insurance here, which can be very handy for certain things to 'complement' the NHS state care for things which would take very long on the NHS.

For example, I have private cover through work (they subsidise it and I pay a small premium on top of it) and I use it sometimes for certain things which would take a very long time if I had to go via the NHS.... Of course critical urgent care such as an A&E type situation or routine GP visits I do through the NHS. I find that they are good for different things, but of course I am incredibly happy that the NHS exists and that we can rely on it, as opposed to many countries where they don't have that option.

I know that it's not free as we are also paying for it, by paying for NI contributions via tax each month, but I think that it's a good system.

I never think of myself as having health insurance either. I never see a bill, I don't pay premiums and I don't have to make claims.

I'm assuming there were other family members on the scene and it must have been incredibly stressful for everyone involved. I'm sure everyone's number one priority was ensuring that the medics were able to do their jobs as quickly as possible.

Many (or even most?) employers provide the private health insurance here, which can be very handy for certain things to 'complement' the NHS state care for things which would take very long on the NHS.

Not most by a long chalk Sara. And those that do usually only provide it for employees at certain grades.

and second, the fact that he said you shouldn't exist on your own, but then that when he saw paloma, he didn't want her to know he was there. on the first time reading this, i must say it shocked me. if i'd been in paloma's situation, i'd have wanted to see and have my hand held by someone i know and love, instead of just all those unfamiliar faces of firemen and ambulance.

And about the second thing, I'm gonna give an example, it's totally different, but it would help me state my point :thumb_yello:

Some years ago I was on holidays with my parents, and my mum felt down knocking her head with a concret pot very badly and I was with her and started crying and screaming like crazy and it was helpfull since she didn't faint :aah: but on the other hand that only made her more nervous, she was there on the floor couldn't move and all I was doing was screaming.

I think it's horses for courses here.

When something happened to me that made me in extreme pain, I just wanted the professionals around me, people who knew what they were doing.

It's one of those things that's personal and until you're in the situation it's difficult to judge I think.

I'm assuming there were other family members on the scene and it must have been incredibly stressful for everyone involved. I'm sure everyone's number one priority was ensuring that the medics were able to do their jobs as quickly as possible.

Yeah that is a good point I suppose.

Not most by a long chalk Sara. And those that do usually only provide it for employees at certain grades.

Oh, ok :teehee: I thought it was more widespread, at least in large companies. I stand corrected then :aah:

Yeah that is a good point I suppose.

Oh, ok :teehee: I thought it was more widespread, at least in large companies. I stand corrected then :aah:

I think it is more usual in large companies, but still only at certain grades. I remember when I first got private healthcare through my job there were lots of provisos, it didn't include anything to do with pregnancy, it didn't include any existing conditions etc.

I never think of myself as having health insurance either. I never see a bill, I don't pay premiums and I don't have to make claims.

in germany we have the health insurance listed extra among the taxes on our payslip every month, so i always knew that and how much i was paying for it. and you also have different national health insurance companies, which used to charge different percentages of your salary (meanwhile it's the same for all, but they have different bonus systems now), and also offer slightly different services, so that choice makes people here be aware of their health insurance. it's often a big topic in the media too - we pay more and more for it, and get less and less, like, having to pay for certain things now, which used to be free. because the insurance companies are always short of money. medicine is expensive, and of course also the doctors want to be paid well. there are lots of discussions about it in germany. but altogether, i'm quite happy with the health system here, especially if i read what mika says about what it's like in the US. i also have to pay for private insurance now that i'm self-employed, but i know that with the monthly amount i pay, i will get all the treatments i need if it's necessary. :original:

about the other thing, yeah, i guess you just don't know what you'd really do or want unless you are in such a situation. but i hope none of us will ever have to make this experience.

I thought about it too.

I think every point you mentioned can be right.

Maybe this will explain a bit:

Thanks God, I never was in such a terrible situation.

But as for me, when I hit myself, or fall somewhere, or something not very harmful happens, I don't want people I know to see me. I feel ashamed in such situations, I feel like that since my childhood (though it was really happy and without stresses).

Out of curiousity, what sorts of services/treatments are not covered or are not handled in a timely fashion by NHS?

Here in Alberta, Canada, for example the government healthcare program covers most things but many people also have employer-sponsored insurance to cover things like presciption drugs, dental care and ambulance rides.

Out of curiousity, what sorts of services/treatments are not covered or are not handled in a timely fashion by NHS?

I tried to make an appointment with a doctor in London and they told me they were booked up for the day. When I informed them that I'd be paying cash and not going through the NHS they suddenly had a wide open schedule. :mf_rosetinted:

Here in Alberta, Canada, for example the government healthcare program covers most things but many people also have employer-sponsored insurance to cover things like presciption drugs, dental care and ambulance rides.

You can wait a very long time for operations which are not considered life-threatening, eg hip replacements. And referrals to consultants can take several months.

I tried to make an appointment with a doctor in London and they told me they were booked up for the day. When I informed them that I'd be paying cash and not going through the NHS they suddenly had a wide open schedule. :mf_rosetinted:

You can wait a very long time for operations which are not considered life-threatening, eg hip replacements. And referrals to consultants can take several months.

I think it must be because hospitals and consultants have a quota per day / week / month..etc that gets sponsored by NHS i.e. they won't get money for any additional operations / consultations on top of that number. Hence the long waiting list.

However, if you pay cash / with private insurance, they have free capacity.

So it is exactly like our health system in La Belle Province :sneaky2:

I think it must be because hospitals and consultants have a quota per day / week / month..etc that gets sponsored by NHS i.e. they won't get money for any additional operations / consultations on top of that number. Hence the long waiting list.

However, if you pay cash / with private insurance, they have free capacity.

yes, that could be a reason too - but in addition, they generally get more money per privately insured patient than for a NHS insured one, so it might be worth for them to work overtime for that. some doctors will even find a lot of (unneccessary) things to do with you if you have a private insurance, whereas otherwise you're just treated as a number and aren't supposed to take up too much of their time. :mf_rosetinted: (talking bout the german conditions here again :wink2:).

i personally don't mind if they're fast, as long as they help me get healthy. guess it's mostly a problem for older people who used to see their doctors as their therapists and were just happy to have someone to talk to. humanity sort of fell by the wayside when the insurance companies had to start saving money. but i still prefer this to having to sell my house (if i had one :teehee:) for a treatment!

I think it's horses for courses here.

When something happened to me that made me in extreme pain, I just wanted the professionals around me, people who knew what they were doing.

It's one of those things that's personal and until you're in the situation it's difficult to judge I think.

There's another possible explanation I think. The accident would have attracted attention anyway, but it's possible Mika didn't want to add to it by being visible. There would always be some morons who would pester him, and also get in the way of the rescue efforts. Tbh I think he did the right thing by going into the ambulance and calling his family, letting the rescue people get on with their job.

i personally don't mind if they're fast, as long as they help me get healthy. guess it's mostly a problem for older people who used to see their doctors as their therapists and were just happy to have someone to talk to. humanity sort of fell by the wayside when the insurance companies had to start saving money. but i still prefer this to having to sell my house (if i had one :teehee:) for a treatment!

Well, the thing is that if older people need someone to talk to only, they should visit the local priest or talk to their neighbours instead :dunno: I know it sounds cruel but people abusing free medical services is a huge problem here, not to mention that we are apparently leading the European list of prescription drug (ab)use per capita.

The previous government tried to introduce a 1 EURO fee for people visiting their GP (there would have been an annual maxium of 10 EUR to be paid with all kinds of other discounts) so that people were not using doctors as their psychologists and visit them every other day with the smallest problems (e.g. a headache caused by not leaving their home for weeks...:cool:). Anyway, people were so appalled by the mere thought of having to pay 1 EUR that the opposition initiated a public referendum in which Hungary decided that the 1 EUR fee would be abolished :aah:. And it is not about the money because many, especially the older generation, still take small gifts to their doctors occasionally as they don't even expect them to provide a free examination.

You just can't underestimate the narrow-mindedness of people. :no:

Edited by suzie

Well, the thing is that if older people need someone to talk to only, they should visit the local priest or talk to their neighbours instead :dunno: I know it sounds cruel but people abusing free medical services is a huge problem here, not to mention that we are apparently leading the European list of prescription drug (ab)use per capita.

The previous government tried to introduce a 1 EURO fee for people visiting their GP (there would have been an annual maxium of 10 EUR to be paid with all kinds of other discounts) so that people were not using doctors as their psychologists and visit them every other day with the smallest problems (e.g. a headache caused by not leaving their home for weeks...:cool:). Anyway, people were so appalled by the mere thought of having to pay 1 EUR that the opposition initiated a public referendum in which Hungary decided that the 1 EUR fee would be abolished :aah:. And it is not about the money because many, especially the older generation, still take small gifts to their doctors occasionally as they don't even expect them to provide a free examination.

You just can't underestimate the narrow-mindedness of people. :no:

wow, that's weird! :blink: i mean, 10 euro per year really isn't that much. in germany we have to pay 10 euro per quarter since several years - so if you need to see a doctor once per quarter, or even just need follow-up recipes for a medicine you always have to take (e.g. the pill), you have to pay 40 euro per year. they invented that to keep people from going to different doctors with the same illness - now if you want to go to more than one doctor per quarter, you need a form signed by that one doctor, or you'll have to pay the 10 euro again for the other doctor. i've even seen in the media not too long ago that they're thinking about charging 10 euro per visit in the future - really hope they won't do that, cause i'm sure they wouldn't stop it at a maximum of 40 or 50 euro per year!

so well, if i was a pessimist, i'd say the german health system slowly goes towards the US one. but since i'm an optimist, i hope they'll never let it get that far, and am happy that it's still so far from it.

btw, for the UKlers, what about the uk health system, don't they have financial problems too? or do you have to pay so much more taxes for it than we do?

• 2 weeks later...