Mika @ Piazza Duomo, Milan - June 07, 2011

Sarina

Have not read the entire thread, but just saying that I believe Mika has every right to not say anything about a private gig if that is what he wants to do. I know it is frustrating to know that he is in your countt ry and you can't go. Been there, done that. But I see no reason for attacking him because he doesn't tweet about every fart.

Once again, no offense to anyone who is upset, but this was private and he is not obliged to sent out scented, handwritten invitations to everyone.

You summed up exactly my point of view:wink2:

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have not read the entire thread, but just saying that I believe Mika has every right to not say anything about a private gig if that is what he wants to do. I know it is frustrating to know that he is in your countt ry and you can't go. Been there, done that. But I see no reason for attacking him because he doesn't tweet about every fart.

Once again, no offense to anyone who is upset, but this was private and he is not obliged to sent out scented, handwritten invitations to everyone.

Really wish you hadn't said "fart" and "scented invitations" in the same post. :roftl:

Well said! :thumb_yello:

Thank you! I totally agree with you :bow:

Yes, totally agree :thumb_yello: It wouldn't even be correct or professional to give too much information about private gigs. And again, I understand Italian fans are disappointed :huglove: I would be too!

Really wish you hadn't said "fart" and "scented invitations" in the same post. :roftl:

:lmfao:

@LeiRe So many pics, thank you!!

And thanks for the links and vids, everyone!

I see you point Rose, I really do...still I feel sad about what happened. Imma and Cherisse shared a bit and Mika didn t say a word. I don't blame the fact he occasionally does private gigs and I'm sure that's a common way to raise money, but this was an event, even if a posh and private one..and a word would be appreciated. Even if it would be useful only to show some support..for example..a good luck tweet or similar silly things. I like the idea to be able to show my support and I appreciate Mika because he always seems near to his fans. This is why I don't like secret things like that. About Skin, I understand what you mean but we don't know how she usually interact with her fans..so we can't make a comparison.

And I'm SURE that Mika didin't want to be rude with fans..maybe he just didn't think to say a word but I would prefer something different. That's all :)

If it was true both Inma and Cherisse couldnt share anything too..

And, just to be clear, I didn't say that because I wanted to be there waiting outside (simply inappropriate for the event) but i only would like to have the chance to show my support.

The thing is, Mika not saying a word on Twitter or anything IS pretty much in line with how he's been interacting (or not) with his fans over the past six or eight months. He hasn't even come back to share song titles/lyrics like he mentioned, so I can't say I'm surprised he didn't tweet about this private gig. :dunno:

Some other artists I follow have indeed done private gigs and tweeted pics and vids about them - but these are the same artists who tweet from the studio or even tweet a pic of themselves at a pub or whatever. They're always nurturing those fan relationships. It seems Mika's just put all fan relations on hiatus for now. :bleh:

Still, I can understand your frustration in knowing that he's nearby and not knowing what's going on. :aah:

The thing is, Mika not saying a word on Twitter or anything IS pretty much in line with how he's been interacting (or not) with his fans over the past six or eight months. He hasn't even come back to share song titles/lyrics like he mentioned, so I can't say I'm surprised he didn't tweet about this private gig. :dunno:

I think it's always been this way, it's just that we usually hear about stuff through the media so it doesn't matter if Mika informs us directly. If the news of this gig had been published last month I doubt anyone would be saying Mika should have tweeted about it to let his fans know he was doing the gig. There have been many times over the past 4 years he has made quasi-public appearances without announcing it before, during or after. This is not new and it's the reason why Mika fans are so proficient at sourcing and sharing information. We were just too late this time and didn't hear about it until it was in progress.

Okay, so I saw this thread this morning and have been confused all day about it.

People are upset because he was within easy travelling distance of them and performing a gig? Hell, whenever he's home he's within easy travelling distance of me, but I don't hop in the car and skid to a halt on his doorstep every time he so much as thinks about touching his piano. It was a private event, and I don't recall anybody getting upset when he did the birthday party for that chick back in January (no matter how envious we might have been). I personally, didn't even get too upset when I wasn't allocated tickets for the fiat 500 launch, where the only way to get in was by winning, yet it was still a public thing. Disappointed, yes, but if you're at the point where it ruins your life because other people got to see him and you didn't, you really need to seek help.

With regards to his twitter habits, I think he likes to keep his head down when he's focused on writing and recording. He's said before that he likes to lock himself away, and that includes the internet. Some famous people DO tweet more, but with most of the famous folk I follow, it's when they're travelling or in airports etc etc. If he's in and out of the studio every day (more or less) then he's not going to have the idle time that other people have to tweet. I don't think anyone ought to take it as a slight against his fans, because he's just doing his bloody job everyday, and even managing to squash in a session with The All American Rejects (*fan gurl spasm*) so it's not like he's kicking back, reading twitter and thinking, "Ha, I'm not going to tweet just to spite them."

In conclusion, don't get upset if you don't get a horsed messenger at your door requesting your immediate presence at a high toned fancy to-do, and if you've got £130k or whatever it is to throw around, then I'm sure he'll be more than happy to show up wherever you see fit and sing you a couple of ditties.

I hear for £150k you even get to lick his face, but that's just a rumour. :mf_rosetinted:

Mika IS singing right NOW @ PIazza Duomo in Milan.

And apparently no one (including the "official" italian fanclub) knew it...

so...Mika is there...live....now...:badmood:

I honestly don't know what to think...I'm so disapponted and sad :boxed:

EDIT: according to Imma the show was really private. I want to apologize for my post but someone told me it was a public gig and I was very upset. I still don't appreciate all the secret behaviour tho because I think fans deserve to know things like that..even just to be proud and happy for the artist's career..but IMO :)

these people were very privileged! who is the fan of Italy that could be in place? I think that is very sadly know that your favorite singer was in your city and not knowing nothing. I really so sorry! :sad:

After all the talking about this event there's one question I really want to ask!

Looking at the pictures and the bit of vid we've got, I got the feeling of sadness. Mika does not look happy on the pictures, I would say he has a sad look in his eyes! :shocked:

What do you think?

With regards to his twitter habits, I think he likes to keep his head down when he's focused on writing and recording. He's said before that he likes to lock himself away, and that includes the internet.

Yes well that's why people feel duped when they see him focusing on making lots of dosh by performing for rich people instead of hiding like he said he was :wink2:

I agree with you about the London thing however. Mika performed for a small group of fans AND some rich woman in January and never said a peep about it. Mika is in the UK and US all the time and surely performing for people but that's just too bad for fans I guess. He's available when he tours and many of us have been fortunate enough to see him at other times as well, but it's the luck of the draw and his commitment is to the sponsors of the event, not the fans.

I understand people in Milan feel burned to have to travel to see him next month when he was just in Milan, but that's the predicament of 95% of fans. Mika hasn't performed in the UK since 2010 or Canada since 2009 and he's here all the time doing other things.

After all the talking about this event there's one question I really want to ask!

Looking at the pictures and the bit of vid we've got, I got the feeling of sadness. Mika does not look happy on the pictures, I would say he has a sad look in his eyes! :shocked:

What do you think?

I don´t see enough of his eyes to be able to speculate about it, I´m sorry :wink2:.

What do you think?

I was thinking that too, like he was just going through the motions.

Not so much sad, but preoccupied.

I was thinking that too, like he was just going through the motions.

Not so much sad, but preoccupied.

I can imagine it is not easy to perform the old songs while his brain is full of new music and so he has to concentrate more than usually :teehee:

Yes well that's why people feel duped when they see him focusing on making lots of dosh by performing for rich people instead of hiding like he said he was :wink2:

I agree with you about the London thing however. Mika performed for a small group of fans AND some rich woman in January and never said a peep about it. Mika is in the UK and US all the time and surely performing for people but that's just too bad for fans I guess. He's available when he tours and many of us have been fortunate enough to see him at other times as well, but it's the luck of the draw and his commitment is to the sponsors of the event, not the fans.

I understand people in Milan feel burned to have to travel to see him next month when he was just in Milan, but that's the predicament of 95% of fans. Mika hasn't performed in the UK since 2010 or Canada since 2009 and he's here all the time doing other things.

Well let's be honest, the boy's not living in mamma's basement anymore, he's got a mortgage to pay, and the record company aren't going to be handing him cash while he's costing them money in the studio and trying to get string sections and gospel choirs and god knows what else for his budget. I think it's hardly focusing if he does one private gig every couple of months, but that's just me.

And yeah, it's tough that there's not an Italian date this summer, but there's not a UK date, or a German date, or a US date or an Australian date either. There were about seven summer shows there last year, which, I know is a long time ago, but the UK tour and euro tour in general was even longer. Nobody wins all of the time, and nobody loses all of the time, I think the best piece of advice I can offer to someone who still feels upset about this is sh*t happens.

I think it's hardly focusing if he does one private gig every couple of months, but that's just me.

I think it's hardly focusing if he tweets every couple of days either so I don't think that focusing on his album is any reason to not communicate with fans.

Having said that I don't blame him for earning money in ways that have nothing to do with performing for fans and if he doesn't want to communicate with fans, well whatever. He's the one who has to live with the consequences of that, not me. There are many artists out there who don't communicate with fans and subsequently do not get certain types of support in return. If that's the kind of limited relationship Mika wants with his fans that's up to him.

I think the best piece of advice I can offer to someone who still feels upset about this is sh*t happens.

Indeed. :thumb_yello:

Like I said before, I'm sure that money he gets from those gigs goes somewhat to funding his tours.

They aren't cheap to run, (I heard an interview with P Diddy once about how much money it costs him to pay for shows, his entourage etc, no wonder he diversifired into fashion and other things). It's him that has to pay for, the band, the crew the equipment, the making of the sets, the travel to every show. Maybe the record company helps a bit, but he has to bear the main costs.

Yes I'm aware of the painting in Canada, but that's possible they were trying to save money, there has been a recession on (still on).

And last year I was listening to a programme talking about theatre shows and concerts that were making a loss because of the recession, taking the hit in rises by not passing them down to the customer, a few just about managed to keep going, but because they didn't want to frighten audiences away with massive ticket prices, they took the brunt of it.

So, maybe he does make some money out of it, probably down to some smart financial investments, but I'm pretty darn sure he doesn't do these shows just to line his pockets, I reckon a fair wedge of it gets ploughed back into the shows.

Well let's be honest, the boy's not living in mamma's basement anymore, he's got a mortgage to pay, and the record company aren't going to be handing him cash while he's costing them money in the studio and trying to get string sections and gospel choirs and god knows what else for his budget....

Most major label deals involve the artist receiving an advance - and not just for record production costs, but for living and other expenses while making the record as well. Yes, this advance will probably be recouped by the label from future album sales, but unless his deal is really unusual it would be inaccurate to assume he's not getting a penny from the label these days.

Most major label deals involve the artist receiving an advance - and not just for record production costs, but for living and other expenses while making the record as well. Yes, this advance will probably be recouped by the label from future album sales, but unless his deal is really unusual it would be inaccurate to assume he's not getting a penny from the label these days.

Yeah, I know he gets an advance, but if he plans to live solely on the advance then he's going to be buying Tesco value baked beans for the foreseeable future. I can't imagine them chucking a couple of hundred grand at him, especially not after sales of the last album weren't so hot as the first. But hey, I don't think he's the only one who'd do a day's work for a big fat cheque. I know I would, and I know many of you would.

I think it's hardly focusing if he tweets every couple of days either so I don't think that focusing on his album is any reason to not communicate with fans.

Having said that I don't blame him for earning money in ways that have nothing to do with performing for fans and if he doesn't want to communicate with fans, well whatever. He's the one who has to live with the consequences of that, not me. There are many artists out there who don't communicate with fans and subsequently do not get certain types of support in return. If that's the kind of limited relationship Mika wants with his fans that's up to him.

To be honest, I get the feeling he's fallen out of love with twitter a bit. He was never really what you'd call a regular tweeter, but he'd have a binge every now and then, which was cool. However, I think, and this is only my opinion because I'm not privy to what goes on inside his head (thank goodness XD) that he gets in a certain mindset when he's writing and recording. I know when I'm having a writing binge I shut myself away and don't talk to anyone, and Stephen Fry left twitter for about 3 months to write his Fry Chronicles. I think it's a similar situation, though obviously, Stephen Fry gave official notice, signed off with a kiss then came back with a best seller a short while later. I get that people want him to keep in touch, but for me, personally, it's not too important. I like it when he tweets, but I don't get upset/annoyed/feel neglected if he doesn't. I generally just go with the flow and am quite happy to let him get on with things.

But that's just me. And I realise not everyone is like me. Thank god, because there would be far too many arguments and never any biscuits left in the biscuit barrel.

I'd rather have a f*cking amazing album, then 200 tweets a day. For example, my darling Katy tweets a lot, but I am not really interested in her tweets. When Mika tweets something, it's still exciting.

My conclusion in this matter and also the gig debate is: Life sucks and then you die. Deal with it.