Mika at NRJ Music Awards 2012 - 28/1/2012

Miro

They mentioned thr NRJ award show on German TV but all they said was that Seal was there still wearing his marriage ring and nothing about any award winners :roftl:
they pointed out the most important details :mf_rosetinted:

I only watched that performance once and it seemed / sounded to me like half playback for reasons @DerMoment1608 has already listed.

He has done it with EMD already, as far as I remember, at radio and live shows last summer, so no surprise there.

If he goes into the direction of trying to replicate the sound of the CD live (mainly because of his own backing vocals and also because of the funny electronic elements and voice distortion), he needs to learn to handle it well or live with the consequences of how it is seen. I personally don't mind half playback if done well. George Michael does that, too, for some uptempo songs but you can't notice it, except that you know you can't have 2 George Michaels singing on stage. :teehee:

There is always an option to change the arrangements and not try to replicate the sound on stage but for EMD those silly noises and funny sounds are part of the song's 'immense' appeal ( :rolls_eyes: ) so I think he made the right choice there.

Choosing the types of songs he releases as singles (the ones he basically promotes his music with) is another question. That one has more long term consequences, but we still don't know what direction he will take with the new album. I wouldn't draw consequences from this particular awards show where he competed with Pitbull (who? :blink:), Enrique Iglesias and LMFAO.

That's not true. He couldn't understand what they were asking him. Not much better I know...but Mika responded to a question about his name by saying he's fine, so... :roftl:

Oh I see, my bad, sorry. :teehee: Looks like I'm no better than the two of them when it comes to hearing comprehension. :naughty:

If he goes into the direction of trying to replicate the sound of the CD live (mainly because of his own backing vocals and also because of the funny electronic elements and voice distortion), he needs to learn to handle it well or live with the consequences of how it is seen. I personally don't mind half playback if done well. George Michael does that, too, for some uptempo songs but you can't notice it, except that you know you can't have 2 George Michaels singing on stage. :teehee:

I don't understand why they do this. I mean Mika could provide an effective backing vocal that would mimic George Michael's voice and surely there are thousands of other competent back up singers who could do the same. I know Mika's concerts are still reasonable but some people are charging upwards of $200/ticket these days. Surely they can afford other ways to round out the vocals on stage than playing back studio tracks.

Oh I see, my bad, sorry. :teehee: Looks like I'm no better than the two of them when it comes to hearing comprehension. :naughty:

No I know there was a video circulating that claimed he didn't know what German was but there is another video from an interview long before that where he was counting to 10 in German. His "Bieber" family is German and he's not quite so dumb he doesn't know what German is. :roftl:

Does France have a "real" music awards show? :teehee: We've got MuchMusic awards which is full of Gaga and Katy Perry and Adam Lambert and all of that, but our Juno Awards are a proper industry awards show run by the Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences and not a TV or radio station. It is focused almost exclusively on Canadian artists. The only reason Justin Bieber would be there is because he's actually one of our own. :naughty:

Of course Christine we also have 'Les Victoires de la Musique' and Mika is nominated for best song this year! :thumb_yello: It was posted on MFC but not much pointed out; I think this is truly brilliant. I never imagined he would be nominated for this (and I think he can win as it's a special category voted by the audience) The show can be boring and elitist but it's a serious award in my opinion.

Otherwise, I tried to find French articles/comments about Mika's award and performance; but there's not much, anyway people don't seem particularly shocked about the performance. As for the award, some say he doesn't deserve it, some say he's one of the few who really deserved an award.. I don't think the whole NMA thing is going to alter Mika's reputation here at all, in good or bad

Of course Christine we also have 'Les Victoires de la Musique' and Mika is nominated for best song this year! :thumb_yello: It was posted on MFC but not much pointed out; I think this is truly brilliant.

Ah thanks, I did see that but I didn't realize this was your Grammy Awards. :naughty:

Yeah what is that about Bieber winning the Lifetime achievement award? He just left his mum's uterus!

:shocked::lmfao:

Are we sure that was a real awards show with a real Lifetime Achievement award or just some mockery?:naughty:

I don't understand why they do this. I mean Mika could provide an effective backing vocal that would mimic George Michael's and surely there are thousands of other competent back up singers who could do the same. I know Mika's concerts are still reasonable but some people are charging upwards of $200/ticket these days. Surely they can afford other ways to round out the vocals on stage than playing back studio tracks.

As for George, he never really changes the arrangements on his songs - or not in a significant way. All the vocals and the backing tracks need to sound the same as on the record. and they DO. That's why I don't I think it is worth going to several shows of GM on the same tour. All the gigs are the same. Unlike Mika's.. :teehee: He changes the shows from one day to another, which is great and I really appreciate it. :blush-anim-cl:

Concerning Mika's unrehearsed tv and other appearances though, badly rehearsed and unimaginative half playback must be the lack of time perhaps. :dunno: Or time spent on other things ....:mf_rosetinted: ....

Edited by suzie

Most kids start learning French here now when they are 6 years old. And he says his granny is francophone so I can't understand why he doesn't know ANY French. :dunno:

Wow, then it's even worse. Bad Bieber! I think they only invited him just to get more viewers.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure Mika will get over this as soon as he gets his ass back out there with a new single. Soon. Like next week.:mf_rosetinted:

:shocked::lmfao:

Are we sure that was a real awards show with a real Lifetime Achievement award or just some mockery?:naughty:

As for George, he never really changes the arrangements on his songs - or not in a significant way. All the vocals and the backing tracks need to sound the same as on the record. and they DO. That's why I don't I think it is worth going to several shows of GM on the same tour. All the gigs are the same. Unlike Mika's.. :teehee: He changes the shows from one day to another, which is great and I really appreciate it. :blush-anim-cl:

Concerning Mika's unrehearsed tv and other appearances though, badly rehearsed and unimaginative half playback must be the lack of time perhaps. :dunno: Or time spent on other things ....:mf_rosetinted: ....

The Sunday Telegraph yesterday had the names of all the winners, and Justin & Shakira both got an Honourary Award.

Didn't Shakira get a knighthood too? What is that about? Why do they give foreigners knighthoods?

So it was reported earlier.

Was it the same thing Mika got a couple of years back?

Didn't Shakira get a knighthood too? What is that about? Why do they give foreigners knighthoods?

i'm not sure as i'm not french, but i think in frnance they hand out those to people who promote the french language.

A belgian singer got some sort of knighthood once too, but not sure if it's the same as what shakira got:blush-anim-cl:

i'm not sure as i'm not french, but i think in frnance they hand out those to people who promote the french language.

A belgian singer got some sort of knighthood once too, but not sure if it's the same as what shakira got:blush-anim-cl:

Was it Mika Raggae?:mf_rosetinted:

media_l_362691.jpg

my son was right when he pointed out that it was the single's sound..well I have a feeling the singers weren't given the choice to sing live or not...I really enjoyed the perfomance and watching Mika dance and being so cute and happy...that didn't bother me and what matters he that he won in my opinion:thumb_yello:

I for example didn't like to listen to live songs in the past, I only liked the recorded versions, before I fell for Mika and loved his live songs :wub2:

But the general audience might like to hear the same song they hear on the radio and when they play the CD and the show was meant for a large audience (and it got a huge audience actually :thumb_yello:

So I don't think that it is a problem that he didn't sing live at NRJ music awards.

But the fact that he wan't able to answer a question worries me, his French is great , but maybe he has some hearing problems again as he did in the past ? :tears:

Mika didn't promote the French language before they awarded him the medal. Unless you call speaking French in France "promoting the language". :naughty:

We still have a monarchical system so maybe this concept of "knighthood" or even cultural awards doesn't mean the same elsewhere but I just don't get it. :dunno:

We debated a lot about Mika deserving the medal or not at the time (I think he really does now with EMD); but I don't think it is centred only on French culture. For example I see that Jim Carrey was awarded this medal; but I don't think he has anything to do with French/France?