Make You Happy - Song and Lyrics Discussion

A lot of fans love Celebrate – it is more about the type of music fans got into Mika’s music with. Those who started to follow him with the release of the second album are probably more likely to prefer Celebrate. To me, even WAG was a shock but unlike many others that time, I didn’t leave as I knew he could do better. I even have déjà vu about this release, actually.

I think it is MYH that could function like that, that’s why they ‘leaked it’ – to raise the attention of people who think Mika is a ‘lightweight’ musician. I am afraid the release of Celebrate right after that was pretty contra-productive though, as it really sounds like some easy-listen boy-band song from two decades ago. Even his voice is distorted in a way that sounds ‘sugary’ at parts, particularly at the beginning.

As I want to believe Mika, I’d say it was produced and chosen as a single with that in mind. They may have tried to make it sound ‘current’ but it does not, actually. All they achieved that it sounds really simple and uncharacteristic. :dunno: And it's not even that I don't like simple songs but as a comeback single it falls short of expectations and I personally don’t think it will work unless the media start playing it because of the Olympics. And I really wish him luck with it - that is a chance he should not miss.

I started to know Mika when he was promoting TBWKTM,but once I digged to find his songs I realised LICM was better (for me). Like something really new. Then the second album seemed a bit...odd... I dont know how to explain it... Anyway,I didnt mean that old fans are all loving MYH and hating Celebrate. It was just something Ive seen reading comments that olders seem to be more keen to like MYH better. Obviously there are people liking and disliking both... it was just a feeling I had. I was just trying to understand why Mika leaked a song a couple of days before he was releasing the single :dunno:

I have to agree with.... sorry I cant remember who said that,but someone said both songs sound better live. And it leads us to a topic where we all agree: Mika is the greatest performer nowadays. Lets see how the album goes next autum...

I don't know, I don't get an "emotional connection" to this song. Which is kind of strange because I like this style of songs and listen to them regularly. For example I like the first album of frYars, whose style you can hear clearly in MYH I think, very much.

I thought you'd like it, actually.:teehee:

When I first got the link I immediately said that it was a great new sound and I liked the song but I said that it should not be a single. So Mika confirming it was a relief. I still love it and it often 'gets played in my head' - a hidden gem of the album, I think. Mika does not have these types of songs (more the 'labum filler' type, not suitable for single release as it is not following standards in pop song writing ) so I am pleased he dared to come out with a work like this. I must say though, that some friends in the UK say it would make a much better single than Celebrate because of it being so different.

If I didn't know Mika and I heard Celebrate, it wouldn't "grab me." That worries me as a single. And I'm still shocked that this is a Pharrell project, because I don't "feel" Pharrell in the music, other than the fun part, which seems silly and the gap in music seemed awkward live for this part.?

Funny, I think exactly the same. :teehee: It was ok live, but nothing special and I really don't understand how he could possibly think that Celebrate would work better than Underwater, for example. :dunno: I hope he has the release of Underwater in the UK as the first single as Plan B in case Celebrate doesn't work out in other countries.

I have to agree with.... sorry I cant remember who said that,but someone said both songs sound better live...

I was there and they basically sound the same live. :dunno:

One may accept them better when they hear these songs live but he hasn't changed them at all. They sound good live, so he needn't worry about that, it is just the little 'extra' that is missing, IMO.

@LeiRe thank you for posting it :flowers2:

I am rarely fond of remixes but this one is different. In fact, I love it. :wub2:

( and it sounds even more George Michael-ish than the album version of MYH. :teehee: )

This sounds like the Hotel Costes mixes from 2001 which I love, love, love. Don't think it quite works with Mika's distorted vocals though.

How about the song "John and Elvis Are Dead"? :teehee: (from 2:30 at this new mix)

How about the song "John and Elvis Are Dead"? :teehee: (from 2:30 at this new mix)

Oh you know what I didn't listen to the whole thing :teehee:. I actually like the middle part when it just wanders off and is mostly music with a couple of words thrown in. I really love this loungey stuff.

Reminds me of this:

[YOUTUBE]LSJHftkL8a8[/YOUTUBE]

From @PurplePRMusic:

Premiere: Listen to the Cherokee Remix of 'Make You Happy' by @mikasounds over at @HBFblog - http://bit.ly/Mika-HBF

i prefer the original but this is not too bad. :thumb_yello: it's nice background music for lying about or for working when i need to concentrate more than the original lets me :aah:

I actually like the middle part when it just wanders off and is mostly music with a couple of words thrown in. I really love this loungey stuff.

yes, me, too.... and I like London in the rain, too... :roftl:

Edited by suzie

I was there and they basically sound the same live. :dunno:

One may accept them better when they hear these songs live but he hasn't changed them at all. They sound good live, so he needn't worry about that, it is just the little 'extra' that is missing, IMO.

the old band? :teehee:

From Mika's fcebook :wink2:

New Mika sounds for you! Take a listen to the brilliant Cherokee remix up on Hype Machine and while you're there click the ♥ and show some love..also hit the arrow button to tweet & share!

the old band? :teehee:

:roftl: No, for him to play around with the songs if possible, like he does with his LICM songs.

I think with Make You Happy there is more room to do that with than Celebrate but in neither case should he stick too much to the recorded version, IMO.

'Every type of remix just kills the song'

I don't share this at all. Rain had a couple of better mixes than the album version, for example, or with this Cherokee remix Make You Happy sounds totally different than how we heard it first. It adds a new face to the song.