MIKA for JBC - 2013

krysady

has it been posted already ?

Mika égérie pour JBC by http://www.youtube.com/user/cinetelerevueweb/videos?view=0

De passage à Bruxelles ce lundi 6 mai pour le lancement officiel d'une ligne de vêtements de mode belge, Mika a accepté de répondre aux questions de "Ciné-Télé-Revue" à quelques heures de son spectacle privé. Regardez l'entretien exclusif.

[YOUTUBE]yRij90Pr0bM[/YOUTUBE]

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same here! Big thanks to everyone for sharing!

Have a colleague at work who is always walking in her socks... Except when there is a meeting:thumb_yello:

:shocked: it must be me :teehee: maybe we work together and I don't know XD

8717756440_678effe603_o.jpg

8717757162_f92f29c6dc_o.jpg

8717766830_5feb5be4f5_o.jpg

Thanks a million Eriko - for always sharing all these fantastic photos - in diff. sizes - of our wonderful MIKA - you're fantastic!!! :thumb_yello::wub2:

And our golden boy, aahhhh - he never looked better - just gorgeous :mikalove:

Love,love

me

20130507_185132_zpse51a39c8.jpg

This is what I bought today. To bad almost all the tops were too small. :sneaky2: But I'm still happy with what I found.

But I think I'm going to another store tomorrow, the one I went to didn't have all the accessoires, they told me there weren't any. But I heard from others that there were. So... I'm also a bit confused. :teehee:

Congrats with new and beautiful MIKA clothes! :thumb_yello: - they really look great, you can wear them with pride! :blush-anim-cl::wub2:

Love,love

me

Thanks everyone for all the videos and photos!!

The collection for JBC is pretty amazing! So stylish yet easy to wear and everything about it looks so special! Love the messages on the clothes and the giraffe logo:wub2:

Vanessa thanks so much for filming all the performances! They're fantastic as always!! Watching them feels like being there in a way.

has it been posted already ?

Mika égérie pour JBC by http://www.youtube.com/user/cinetelerevueweb/videos?view=0

De passage à Bruxelles ce lundi 6 mai pour le lancement officiel d'une ligne de vêtements de mode belge, Mika a accepté de répondre aux questions de "Ciné-Télé-Revue" à quelques heures de son spectacle privé. Regardez l'entretien exclusif.

[YOUTUBE]yRij90Pr0bM[/YOUTUBE]

Love this interview!!

I translated Celien's Knack interview.

Belgian fashionlabels do not manage to get an international popstar every day to design a collection. After collaborations with Ozark Henry and Christophe Coppens, JBC is now aiming higher with "Mika for JBC".

The latest collection for men, women and girls was designed with the help of Mika, who scored massive hits with Relax, Grace Kelly and Love Today a few years ago. "I never just did music," the 29-year old singer told our editors in Brussels. "For the EP songs for sorrow, I had my favourite artists illustrate every song and I am very involved at the setdesign and costumes for my show. A clothing line was the next step to express this esthetical vision."

Aren't clothinglines of popstars not just there for the vanity of those involved?

M: That is such easy, lazy critic. And it is not true either, because if you study the clothes closely, you will see that every reference to me has been kept subtle. My name is not on the front of the t-shirts in big letters and the style of the collection is all apart from showy. By the way, how would you call standing on a stage singing for thousands of people? I don't have to do it to boost my ego and neither to boost my bank account. Then it is better for me to write a happy popsong.

Were you really involved with designing the collection?

M: I'm not a designer of course, but I was involved in the process from A to Z. I met the creative team of JBC at certain times in London, Zurich, Toulouse and Barcelona, and we all went to New York to get inspiration. The team took their time to find out which direction I wanted to take and what was important for me. I am very sensitive to details of clothes. That is why I carry the whole responsibility of the success of the collection. If it doesn't go well, it will all be my fault. That risk is nothing new to me: if I don't do well at a gig, I am also boo'ed at.

How did you end up with a Belgian label?

M: I've been a big fan of Belgian fashiondesigners and the double layers that is so typical for them. Nice, but also sinister: that combination is typical Belgian. I've admired Walter van Beirendonck for years. In 2009 I wore his pieces in the promotion of my second album TBWKTM, and I also loved his work for JBC. Even my goddaughter wears designs from the ZulupaPUWA collection.

Wouldn't you have rather worked with a big name such as the British Topshop?

M: Then it would have become a whole different project. JBC is a small commercial label that invests a lot of time and energy in developing its own fabrics and techniques. The endresult has to sell and has to be profitable, but at the same time they are very stern when it comes to quality - that was important for me. A bigger chain would have given more international attention, but then the result would be more like a supermarketproject. Add to that that in that case I would have had to compromise more. JBC did not make me do things I didn't want to do. As a musician I refuse to work with certain producers because it could damage my integrity. There was no reason to do it differently with the clothingcollection. If the result doesn't match with who I am, then the sales of my records and gigtickets would suffer.

Your mother was a dressmaker. Did that help with your collection?

M: As a child I was constantly surrounded with patterns and yarn at home. That is how my mother made me appreciate the technique and dressmaker art, which certainly influenced my style. Brand names do not appeal to me, but I do have an eye for beautiful embroidery. More in general, my mother's workshop showed me how to get a group of people behind one vision and how to make sure everybody works towards the same goal. That is how I work now. Everything I do looks like a big workshop no matter if it's about music, a photoshoot or something different.

Would you like to do more after this collection?

M: It is not my intention to become a brand, let alone let them use me. On the other hand I am realistic. The Spanish beerbrand San Miguel asked me to write a single. The massive campaign they organise around that makes the current budgets of record labels look like nothing. I want to consider such propositions. As an artist you have to be creative nowadays to be present and to bring your music to the attention of people, but that is not necessarily a bad evolution. As long as I stay true to myself, make the music I want to make and in the meantime portray a coherent estetical vision. Saying no is easy - the art is to know when to say yes and why.

Belgian fashionlabels do not manage to get an international popstar every day to design a collection. After collaborations with Ozark Henry and Christophe Coppens, JBC is now aiming higher with "Mika for JBC".

The latest collection for men, women and girls was designed with the help of Mika, who scored massive hits with Relax, Grace Kelly and Love Today a few years ago. "I never just did music," the 29-year old singer told our editors in Brussels. "For the EP songs for sorrow, I had my favourite artists illustrate every song and I am very involved at the setdesign and costumes for my show. A clothing line was the next step to express this esthetical vision."

Aren't clothinglines of popstars not just there for the vanity of those involved?

M: That is such easy, lazy critic. And it is not true either, because if you study the clothes closely, you will see that every reference to me has been kept subtle. My name is not on the front of the t-shirts in big letters and the style of the collection is all apart from showy. By the way, how would you call standing on a stage singing for thousands of people? I don't have to do it to boost my ego and neither to boost my bank account. Then it is better for me to write a happy popsong.

M: I'm not a designer of course, but I was involved in the process from A to Z. I met the creative team of JBC at certain times in London, Zurich, Toulouse and Barcelona, and we all went to New York to get inspiration. The team took their time to find out which direction I wanted to take and what was important for me. I am very sensitive to details of clothes. That is why I carry the whole responsibility of the success of the collection. If it doesn't go well, it will all be my fault. That risk is nothing new to me: if I don't do well at a gig, I am also boo'ed at.

M: I've been a big fan of Belgian fashiondesigners and the double layers that is so typical for them. Nice, but also sinister: that combination is typical Belgian. I've admired Walter van Beirendonck for years. In 2009 I wore his pieces in the promotion of my second album TBWKTM, and I also loved his work for JBC. Even my goddaughter wears designs from the ZulupaPUWA collection.

M: Then it would have become a whole different project. JBC is a small commercial label that invests a lot of time and energy in developing its own fabrics and techniques. The endresult has to sell and has to be profitable, but at the same time they are very stern when it comes to quality - that was important for me. A bigger chain would have given more international attention, but then the result would be more like a supermarketproject. Add to that that in that case I would have had to compromise more. JBC did not make me do things I didn't want to do. As a musician I refuse to work with certain producers because it could damage my integrity. There was no reason to do it differently with the clothingcollection. If the result doesn't match with who I am, then the sales of my records and gigtickets would suffer.

M: As a child I was constantly surrounded with patterns and yarn at home. That is how my mother made me appreciate the technique and dressmaker art, which certainly influenced my style. Brand names do not appeal to me, but I do have an eye for beautiful embroidery. More in general, my mother's workshop showed me how to get a group of people behind one vision and how to make sure everybody works towards the same goal. That is how I work now. Everything I do looks like a big workshop no matter if it's about music, a photoshoot or something different.

M: It is not my intention to become a brand, let alone let them use me. On the other hand I am realistic. The Spanish beerbrand San Miguel asked me to write a single. The massive campaign they organise around that makes the current budgets of record labels look like nothing. I want to consider such propositions. As an artist you have to be creative nowadays to be present and to bring your music to the attention of people, but that is not necessarily a bad evolution. As long as I stay true to myself, make the music I want to make and in the meantime portray a coherent estetical vision. Saying no is easy - the art is to know when to say yes and why.

Thank you sooo much Celien for sharing this interview - and Ingrid for translation - and thanks a lot to everybody else, sharing your experience from this special happening with JBC clothing - it's all priceless, to keep us updated with it all - LOVE IT !! :thumb_yello:

Love,love

me

I was wondering his involvement in the designing process so it's really interesting to read him talking about it :thumb_yello: I assumed he wants to be involved, give ideas and tell his opinions but as he is a singer and not a designer, there must be professional designers for the work. I heard an interview from a Finnish model who has given her name and face for the similar campaign, and she told how she really is a part of project from beginning to the end: she makes mood boards with colors and images, draws sketches and tells final opinions which pieces to choose. It must take a lot of time and attention and that's why I also assumed Mika has been doing all this together with Yasmin, and he did say somewhere they were in the project together? The women's line really looks like her style. And I do understand he is taking offers like San Miguel. His label doesn't much invest in his promoting :aah: It looks like a cool campaign, more like a music video than an ad.

Thanks for posting and translating! :flowers2:

Edited by tiibet

Hi guys!! It was amazing yesterday!!...

It was such a lovely evening, I had such a great time with you guys! Don't have a lot to add to the report of Annemaaike.

The 'queueing' was very relaxed, at 6.30 pm there were only 50 people waiting, I guess. The entering into the event went quite calm, even though I didn't take the time to grab champagne and pretzels.

I enjoyed the fashionshow, though the women designs were very short in my opinion. However, I found the ice cream colours of the womens and girls clothing line really attractive and I loved the little details in the clothing (lace, little pins etc.).

The Mika performance was the highlight of the evening of course! I just loved how Mika put a 'gospel' twist into the intro of some of his songs! Never heard that before live... There was enough space to dance and there was no pushing at all!

The waiting backstage went quite too, but the security wasn't convinced; they behaved quite stressed. In the ten minutes befor Mika came out, I almost left (thanks to my parents, who didn't mind waiting for me, I stayed to see Mika). In my opinion he took a lot of time to talk to his fans! He chatted a lot and suggested that women can wear the mens shirts too (we discussed that earlier, so we had to laugh when he mentioned it).

All in all it was a special evening!

lol how could you sing worse than me that night :naughty: I sound sooo offffff!! I annoy myself haha

Annemaaike are you sure it is you singing on your vids (haven't listened yet)? I discovered after a while that you were filming, so from then on I kept my mouth shut, cause I really can't sing in tune :aah:

Niko and I named the annoying screaming guy Karl Lagerfeld.:mf_rosetinted: Did you notice how he tried to give Mika the necklace thing and Mika ignored him until the very end:naughty:

That name fits him perfectly, Ingrid! What an annoying man, he thought that the whole performance was organized for himself.

I spotted myself:mf_rosetinted:

Me too! And the Belgian girls (sorry forgot their names) who were interviewed afterwards, are in it too.

Edit: Does someone know what company was filming Mika's performance (the cameraman was standing in the VIP section)?

Thanks for that Ingiev. I sort of get where he's coming from in terms of not becoming like the usual popstar or actor, selling his soul to the likes of Topshop. But I wish there was a compromise that would allow Mika to do something in the UK, to let UK people know he's still around.

Surely there are smaller design labels in the UK that he could work with, that would still give him the freedom he needs.

Every time I read the title of a thread that implies he's working on a project, like Coco-cola or X Factor, or something else, I hope it's in the UK where he desperately needs something to get him selling records again, but it never is. It's always a country where the language isn't English, so interviews have to be translated for the MFC, and UK people not on MFC would be none the wiser about what he's doing.

I always support him, but it's very disappointing. Even the Hugo Boss ads in the UK had posters of Orlando Bloom, not Mika.

Oh well, maybe soon, or mikasoon, the UK will have Mika on it's radar again. Let's hope so.

thanks for the translation :thumb_yello:

Maybe it's an inappropriate question, but do we know anything about his goddaughter? I've been wondering for awhile now.. :blush-anim-cl:

Maybe it's an inappropriate question, but do we know anything about his goddaughter? I've been wondering for awhile now.. :blush-anim-cl:

I don't think his Goddaughter is of any importance to be discussed here. I think she deserves privacy, don't you?