MIKA for JBC - 2013

krysady

I translated Celien's Knack interview.

Belgian fashionlabels do not manage to get an international popstar every day to design a collection. After collaborations with Ozark Henry and Christophe Coppens, JBC is now aiming higher with "Mika for JBC".

The latest collection for men, women and girls was designed with the help of Mika, who scored massive hits with Relax, Grace Kelly and Love Today a few years ago. "I never just did music," the 29-year old singer told our editors in Brussels. "For the EP songs for sorrow, I had my favourite artists illustrate every song and I am very involved at the setdesign and costumes for my show. A clothing line was the next step to express this esthetical vision."

Aren't clothinglines of popstars not just there for the vanity of those involved?

M: That is such easy, lazy critic. And it is not true either, because if you study the clothes closely, you will see that every reference to me has been kept subtle. My name is not on the front of the t-shirts in big letters and the style of the collection is all apart from showy. By the way, how would you call standing on a stage singing for thousands of people? I don't have to do it to boost my ego and neither to boost my bank account. Then it is better for me to write a happy popsong.

Were you really involved with designing the collection?

M: I'm not a designer of course, but I was involved in the process from A to Z. I met the creative team of JBC at certain times in London, Zurich, Toulouse and Barcelona, and we all went to New York to get inspiration. The team took their time to find out which direction I wanted to take and what was important for me. I am very sensitive to details of clothes. That is why I carry the whole responsibility of the success of the collection. If it doesn't go well, it will all be my fault. That risk is nothing new to me: if I don't do well at a gig, I am also boo'ed at.

How did you end up with a Belgian label?

M: I've been a big fan of Belgian fashiondesigners and the double layers that is so typical for them. Nice, but also sinister: that combination is typical Belgian. I've admired Walter van Beirendonck for years. In 2009 I wore his pieces in the promotion of my second album TBWKTM, and I also loved his work for JBC. Even my goddaughter wears designs from the ZulupaPUWA collection.

Wouldn't you have rather worked with a big name such as the British Topshop?

M: Then it would have become a whole different project. JBC is a small commercial label that invests a lot of time and energy in developing its own fabrics and techniques. The endresult has to sell and has to be profitable, but at the same time they are very stern when it comes to quality - that was important for me. A bigger chain would have given more international attention, but then the result would be more like a supermarketproject. Add to that that in that case I would have had to compromise more. JBC did not make me do things I didn't want to do. As a musician I refuse to work with certain producers because it could damage my integrity. There was no reason to do it differently with the clothingcollection. If the result doesn't match with who I am, then the sales of my records and gigtickets would suffer.

Your mother was a dressmaker. Did that help with your collection?

M: As a child I was constantly surrounded with patterns and yarn at home. That is how my mother made me appreciate the technique and dressmaker art, which certainly influenced my style. Brand names do not appeal to me, but I do have an eye for beautiful embroidery. More in general, my mother's workshop showed me how to get a group of people behind one vision and how to make sure everybody works towards the same goal. That is how I work now. Everything I do looks like a big workshop no matter if it's about music, a photoshoot or something different.

Would you like to do more after this collection?

M: It is not my intention to become a brand, let alone let them use me. On the other hand I am realistic. The Spanish beerbrand San Miguel asked me to write a single. The massive campaign they organise around that makes the current budgets of record labels look like nothing. I want to consider such propositions. As an artist you have to be creative nowadays to be present and to bring your music to the attention of people, but that is not necessarily a bad evolution. As long as I stay true to myself, make the music I want to make and in the meantime portray a coherent estetical vision. Saying no is easy - the art is to know when to say yes and why.

:lmfao: has he been reading the X-factor debate on here? There's quite a few subtle (or not so subtle) slaps in the faces of us moaners on the MFC (myself included, of course).

I completely missed the post with the article itself, so ended up reading your translation rather than the Dutch version :doh:

I was wondering his involvement in the designing process so it's really interesting to read him talking about it :thumb_yello: I assumed he wants to be involved, give ideas and tell his opinions but as he is a singer and not a designer, there must be professional designers for the work. I heard an interview from a Finnish model who has given her name and face for the similar campaign, and she told how she really is a part of project from beginning to the end: she makes mood boards with colors and images, draws sketches and tells final opinions which pieces to choose. It must take a lot of time and attention and that's why I also assumed Mika has been doing all this together with Yasmin, and he did say somewhere they were in the project together? The women's line really looks like her style. And I do understand he is taking offers like San Miguel. His label doesn't much invest in his promoting :aah: It looks like a cool campaign, more like a music video than an ad.

Thanks for posting and translating! :flowers2:

He did tweet a designer who asked him how it went to thank him for all his help shortly after the show.

Maybe it's an inappropriate question, but do we know anything about his goddaughter? I've been wondering for awhile now.. :blush-anim-cl:

He takes her to the London zoo and then can't figure out which pinguins are his, and buys her JBC clothes, apparently. He sounds like a nice godfather :mikacool:

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I translated Celien's Knack interview.

Belgian fashionlabels do not manage to get an international popstar every day to design a collection. After collaborations with Ozark Henry and Christophe Coppens, JBC is now aiming higher with "Mika for JBC".

The latest collection for men, women and girls was designed with the help of Mika, who scored massive hits with Relax, Grace Kelly and Love Today a few years ago. "I never just did music," the 29-year old singer told our editors in Brussels. "For the EP songs for sorrow, I had my favourite artists illustrate every song and I am very involved at the setdesign and costumes for my show. A clothing line was the next step to express this esthetical vision."

Aren't clothinglines of popstars not just there for the vanity of those involved?

M: That is such easy, lazy critic. And it is not true either, because if you study the clothes closely, you will see that every reference to me has been kept subtle. My name is not on the front of the t-shirts in big letters and the style of the collection is all apart from showy. By the way, how would you call standing on a stage singing for thousands of people? I don't have to do it to boost my ego and neither to boost my bank account. Then it is better for me to write a happy popsong.

Were you really involved with designing the collection?

M: I'm not a designer of course, but I was involved in the process from A to Z. I met the creative team of JBC at certain times in London, Zurich, Toulouse and Barcelona, and we all went to New York to get inspiration. The team took their time to find out which direction I wanted to take and what was important for me. I am very sensitive to details of clothes. That is why I carry the whole responsibility of the success of the collection. If it doesn't go well, it will all be my fault. That risk is nothing new to me: if I don't do well at a gig, I am also boo'ed at.

How did you end up with a Belgian label?

M: I've been a big fan of Belgian fashiondesigners and the double layers that is so typical for them. Nice, but also sinister: that combination is typical Belgian. I've admired Walter van Beirendonck for years. In 2009 I wore his pieces in the promotion of my second album TBWKTM, and I also loved his work for JBC. Even my goddaughter wears designs from the ZulupaPUWA collection.

Wouldn't you have rather worked with a big name such as the British Topshop?

M: Then it would have become a whole different project. JBC is a small commercial label that invests a lot of time and energy in developing its own fabrics and techniques. The endresult has to sell and has to be profitable, but at the same time they are very stern when it comes to quality - that was important for me. A bigger chain would have given more international attention, but then the result would be more like a supermarketproject. Add to that that in that case I would have had to compromise more. JBC did not make me do things I didn't want to do. As a musician I refuse to work with certain producers because it could damage my integrity. There was no reason to do it differently with the clothingcollection. If the result doesn't match with who I am, then the sales of my records and gigtickets would suffer.

Your mother was a dressmaker. Did that help with your collection?

M: As a child I was constantly surrounded with patterns and yarn at home. That is how my mother made me appreciate the technique and dressmaker art, which certainly influenced my style. Brand names do not appeal to me, but I do have an eye for beautiful embroidery. More in general, my mother's workshop showed me how to get a group of people behind one vision and how to make sure everybody works towards the same goal. That is how I work now. Everything I do looks like a big workshop no matter if it's about music, a photoshoot or something different.

Would you like to do more after this collection?

M: It is not my intention to become a brand, let alone let them use me. On the other hand I am realistic. The Spanish beerbrand San Miguel asked me to write a single. The massive campaign they organise around that makes the current budgets of record labels look like nothing. I want to consider such propositions. As an artist you have to be creative nowadays to be present and to bring your music to the attention of people, but that is not necessarily a bad evolution. As long as I stay true to myself, make the music I want to make and in the meantime portray a coherent estetical vision. Saying no is easy - the art is to know when to say yes and why.

Thanks for the translation, very nice work:thumb_yello:

And the interview itself is very interesting

:shocked:

Maybe it's an inappropriate question, but do we know anything about his goddaughter? I've been wondering for awhile now.. :blush-anim-cl:

Tks Angiev for traslation very atractive article.

i loves his shoes... all of them ...

and now for Anne : Who as you referring it? Mikas´son?? very trouble question and very untruth.:doh:attachment.php?attachmentid=9199&stc=1&d=1368021588i like this thks MY mute."Ghost of a Rose."

i like this Thks MY MUte noch+blck´s

Mika-for-JBC-068-800x1200.jpg

post-20706-14298369976_thumb.jpg

Edited by mer

:lmfao: has he been reading the X-factor debate on here? There's quite a few subtle (or not so subtle) slaps in the faces of us moaners on the MFC (myself included, of course).

He told me he neeeeveerrrr goes on websites about him because it would drive him crazy:mf_rosetinted:.

He still liked me very much despite my moaning :naughty::mf_rosetinted::wub2:

It really was per-fect!

I'm really glad we managed to be so many people to attend. We were so well welcomed with a glass of bubbles and sandwishes before the show.

We have found a very nice place along the "ego ramp" dixit Mika but opted to get closer to the stage itself to be near the piano.

Super fashion show, the little girls were so cute! And the boys ... so yum!! the clothes are very beautiful!:wub2:

Mika was wonderful,and... poor Max when the boss was laughing at him!!

The loubishoes were too tiny for his feet, so he decided to be socks-footed for the rest of the show .

In the photos, you'll see the setlist I managed to retreive (a beautiful neckline with a beautiful smile to a technician ) but Mika has not sung Origin, nor Celebrate but Popular and Big girl.

He also masterfully killed "Elle Me Dit".

After the show, we have had a drink together before going to wait for Mika.He went out around 22:30 I think and stayed a long time with us. He has kindly signed our "relics": my Songs For Sorrow book (what finally will stop coming around with me at every concert). He plunged with delight in the Japan photobook like he just discovered it. We chatted a lot about the Popular videoclip, creating the collection (10 months), the polka dot choir (seeing his face,we wont sing with him again!).

Here are some pics:

379331335.jpg

235679844.jpg

446484971.jpg

469797447.jpg

119601128.jpg

370721679.jpg

3627834812.jpg

7929371411.jpg

2591742310.jpg

2679922813.jpg

Edited by LENA MACHU
google trad mixed the songs :-(

The loubishoes were too tiny for his feet, so he decided to be socks-footed for the rest of the show.

I was under the assumption that his shoes were to slippery for the catwalk... :teehee:

Exactly what I was thinking! His answers seems so on point with everything that's been happening. :aah:

But it's good. I really like when he addresses his career moves honestly. I think it ought to humble us and remind us that we don't know his life and himself better than he does.

I completely missed the post with the article itself, so ended up reading your translation rather than the Dutch version :doh:

ahhh do not mix the moaners & the moanings :naughty:

i don't mind him doing a clothing line, it probably takes only a few days out of his time. Plus i kind of like the clothes, though i can't buy any :naughty:

It's not like he is personally sitting behind the sewing machine for 5 months & can barely do anything else :teehee:

Not sure how you reckon that. He says he has to consider the propositions from a beer company because they have the budget (i.e. the money). That's exactly what we've been saying.

If he thinks selling beer and starring in a dying talent show franchise constitutes maintaining integrity and a coherent aesthetic vision. Well, whatever. You can repeat something a thousand times. It's not going to change the reality.

Sure, that's what he's saying if you look at it so negatively. With the entirety of the conversation in context, to me he's saying what any member of an artistic industry knows: there is always a creative and a business side that you have to embrace. The most skilled of artists can combine them and make money without utterly selling their souls to corporations. That's what he's saying. "It's about knowing when to say yes" The fact of the matter is, absolutely none of us are in on his business meetings with these companies and we have no place to assume we know what's happening.

After the show, we have had a drink together before going to wait for Mika.He went out around 22:30 I think and stayed a long time with us. He has kindly signed our "relics": my Songs For Sorrow book (what finally will stop coming around with me at every concert). He plunged with delight in the Japan photobook like he just discovered it. We chatted a lot about the Popular videoclip, creating the collection (10 months), the polka dot choir (seeing his face,we wont sing with him again!).

And there you go, all my hopes are shattered :overreact::teehee:

Congrats with new and beautiful MIKA clothes! :thumb_yello: - they really look great, you can wear them with pride! :blush-anim-cl::wub2:

Love,love

me

I will :teehee: Today I also went to buy the earrings and the belt. They did have it in another JBC. :teehee:

And I did wear the green cardigan to work today and I got a lot of compliments :naughty: They liked it and one of my colleagues is considering buying it herself because she liked it so much.

She even did put on the cardigan when I wasn't looking :naughty:

The business side of music is not selling beer and clothes. That is the business side of selling yourself as a brand which has nothing to do with music. Kim Kardashian does it too.

That's true, but his record label is not using much money for promoting him and the beer company has a huge budget for their ad (looking like a music video with not only his face but also song/singing). I can see his point.

I really like this jbc campaign! The collection is really pretty and seems to bring a lot of good publicity. Thanks for the pics and videos, everyone! :thumb_yello:

That's true, but his record label is not using much money for promoting him and the beer company has a huge budget for their ad (looking like a music video with not only his face but also song/singing). I can see his point.

I really like this jbc campaign! The collection is really pretty and seems to bring a lot of good publicity. Thanks for the pics and videos, everyone! :thumb_yello:

Great publicity for him in Belgium, since you can't get the clothes outside there!

I don't have a problem with him doing a clothes line, or a beer commercial if his music is attached, and he gets a hit record from it all over the place. But what I don't get is him isolating things to one country at a time, especially with the clothing line.

Does he think people outside wouldn't like to buy some of these clothes? I don't understand the logic of this.

Edited by RAK1

Great publicity for him in Belgium, since you can't get the clothes outside there!

I don't have a problem with him doing a clothes line, or a beer commercial if his music is attached, and he gets a hit record from it all over the place. But what I don't get is him isolating things to one country at a time, especially with the clothing line.

Does he think people outside wouldn't like to buy some of these clothes? I don't understand the logic of this.

That's exactly what's bothering me about these side projects too... :wait:

I guess he's taking baby steps and isn't successful enough to do these types of projects in the US or UK?

It's not fair that all of his fans in the world can't purchase these damn clothes :aah:

http://www.rtl.be/pourelle/article/Mika-se-lance-dans-la-mode-avec-JBC-202866.htm

Mika se lance dans la mode avec JBC

Le chanteur Mika a décidé de sortir sa propre ligne de vêtements en s'associant à la marque JBC. Intitulée “MIKA for JBC”, sa collection sera disponible dès ce mardi 7 mai.

Mika a plus d’une corde à son arc! Après la chanson, il a donc décidé de se lancer dans la mode. Pour sa collection, le chanteur a choisi de s’associer à la marque de mode belge JBC. "C'était la première fois que je créais une collection. Au début, j’ai hésité un peu, parce que je ne savais pas comment la collaboration allait se dérouler. Heureusement, j'ai bénéficié d’une équipe talentueuse", a confié Mika avant d’ajouter "Qu’il s’agisse de vêtements, d’une pochette d'album ou d’un dessin, ce sont chaque fois des choses auxquelles on donne sa propre touche personnelle. Je fais ça avec mes pochettes d'albums, mes affiches, mes sets.... Créer des vêtements, c’était donc un chouette nouveau défi".

Le chanteur souhaitait que cette collection soit avant tout à son image. "MIKA pour JBC" se compose d'une ligne pour femmes, hommes et fillettes inspirée par les années 20, pour un véritable feeling "Great Gatsby".

"En créant la collection, j’avais plusieurs choses en tête. Pour la collection hommes, j’ai vraiment pensé à ma propre garde-robe : j'aime les vêtements élégants et faciles à porter, qu’on peut vite enfiler le matin tout en ayant l'air très élégant. Pour la collection femmes et fillettes, je me suis laissé inspirer par mon enfance. En outre, l’objectif était de concevoir une collection que les gens portent, indépendamment de ma musique. Nous avons donc seulement utilisé mes initiales et créé plusieurs nouveaux logos, comme la petite girafe, le grand M avec la couronne, l’écusson.... Ces détails étaient très importants pour moi. Je serai très honoré si je vois quelqu'un porter mes vêtements à un festival, à un spectacle, ou tout simplement, dans la rue."

La collection regorge aussi de messages humoristiques et d’ “inside jokes” cachés dans les vêtements, tels que “Today might be the best day of your life”, “A fool pretends to be wise, a wise man pretends to be a fool”,... Le tout 100% MIKA mais à des prix tout doux.

La collection MIKA for JBC pour femmes, hommes et jeunes filles sera disponible dès le 7 mai dans tous les magasins JBC et sera également en vente en ligne via http://www.jbc.be.