Paparazzi Photos/Mika's Family's Photos

dcdeb

OK, I'll say this again, and hope that I'm as clear as can be.

In my opinion, it doesn't matter whether Mika is OK with these photos being put online. It doesn't matter if the record label is OK with these photos being put online.

The question is, as I have said multiple times already, whether the MFC wants to be part of spreading such personal and questionably obtained photos all over the web by posting them here. To be honest, even if Mika's management were to tell me Mika's not bothered by these particular photos, I still wouldn't like to see them published here. As Christine pointed out, we've witnessed over the years how Mika and his family and friends feel about their privacy. I was there when Yasmine asked that we refrain from posting photos of her. I got the email from one of Mika's friends when she learned her personal photos were being posted here. Do people's feelings about such things change? Maybe, but I would guess that if you're a private person, this is one aspect of your life that you don't want to change. :dunno:

Now, if Mika himself were to say to me, "Please publish those photos on MFC," then I guess I would. I doubt that will happen, but Mika knows how to contact me, so if he's reading this maybe he will. :naughty:

In any case, all the speculation about whether Mika was convinced by the Italian record people to allow this is a bit irrelevant.

To my mind, it's sort of like Mika said about the Origin of Love album -- he was thinking about what sort of man he wanted to be. I think we need to ask what sort of fans -- what sort of people -- do we want to be? I'm concerned that if we start to allow photos like these, encouraging even more gossip and intrusion into Mika's personal life, that when other even more personal photos come along, there will be people arguing that we should post those, too. I think it's a slippery slope, and one I would not like to see the MFC go down. :no:

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, it doesn't matter whether Mika is OK with these photos being put online. It doesn't matter if the record label is OK with these photos being put online.

The question is, as I have said multiple times already, whether the MFC wants to be part of spreading such personal and questionably obtained photos all over the web by posting them here. To be honest, even if Mika's management were to tell me Mika's not bothered by these particular photos, I still wouldn't like to see them published here. As Christine pointed out, we've witnessed over the years how Mika and his family and friends feel about their privacy. I was there when Yasmine asked that we refrain from posting photos of her. I got the email from one of Mika's friends when she learned her personal photos were being posted here. Do people's feelings about such things change? Maybe, but I would guess that if you're a private person, this is one aspect of your life that you don't want to change. :dunno:

Now, if Mika himself were to say to me, "Please publish those photos on MFC," then I guess I would. I doubt that will happen, but Mika knows how to contact me, so if he's reading this maybe he will. :naughty:

In any case, all the speculation about whether Mika was convinced by the Italian record people to allow this is a bit irrelevant.

To my mind, it's sort of like Mika said about the Origin of Love album -- he was thinking about what sort of man he wanted to be. I think we need to ask what sort of fans -- what sort of people -- do we want to be? I'm concerned that if we start to allow photos like these, encouraging even more gossip and intrusion into Mika's personal life, that when other even more personal photos come along, there will be people arguing that we should post those, too. I think it's a slippery slope, and one I would not like to see the MFC go down. :no:

As far as I'm concerned, MFC rules haven't change, and should not change unless the reasons behind them change. Which it seems is not the case. End of discussion:thumb_yello:

Exactly, I was thinking 'slippery slope' reading your last post;

then got to your last sentence & learn you think so too.

MIKA is, & has been, so generous :

Gives 110% at his performances;

shared pics of 1st the interior his flat

& later the interior of his London home . . .

Does it really hurt so much to show some generosity in return?

Isn't it clear we shouldn't allow photos like this on mfc? I wouldn't post pictures like that even if he asked because it's not just posting pictures of him and his family, it's a statement. But I guess you must publish them if he asks, Deb? :teehee:

I'm not sure if we are allowed to discuss about this issue here or not? But those photos bother me a lot, and I'm trying to understand and I hope writing about it could make my own thinking more clear. I feel bad for him and I think the whole issue is as relevant as anything talked on mfc.

As far as I'm concerned, MFC rules haven't change, and should not change unless the reasons behind them change. Which it seems is not the case. End of discussion:thumb_yello:

I agree :thumb_yello:

Just hope that everyone wants to express something different from the majority will be able to do it without being the target of sarcastic posts.

Everyone has his opinion on this delicate theme, and should be respected.

:wink2:

Just hope that everyone wants to express something different from the majority will be able to do it without being the target of sarcastic posts.

Of course!:thumb_yello:

I'm sorry. Sarcasm is in my nature. I do not intend to hurt anyone.

I'm sorry. Sarcasm is in my nature. I do not intend to hurt anyone.

Well, I wrote that, and I thought about your post, but I have the same problem sometimes.

A couple of months ago in a FB group a friend left a group for a thing I said in a too ironic way with another friend for an attack I considered unfair, so I protected a person by hurting another, who felt hurt.

Now everything's ok, but not always people in a social have the patience to understand our personal way of joking, as someone said recently here in another post.

Sometimes people leave MFC, maybe for a while, or they stay and don't dare to express his opinion, being just readers.

But we are human beings, and I know that sometimes one can't avoid sarcasm, I rarely can when I read something I judge ridiculous. :blush-anim-cl:.

Well, I wrote that, and I thought about your post, but I have the same problem sometimes.

A couple of months ago in a FB group a friend left a group for a thing I said in a too ironic way with another friend for an attack I considered unfair, so I protected a person by hurting another, who felt hurt.

Now everything's ok, but not always people in a social have the patience to understand our personal way of joking, as someone said recently here in another post.

Sometimes people leave MFC, maybe for a while, or they stay and don't dare to express his opinion, being just readers.

But we are human beings, and I know that sometimes one can't avoid sarcasm, I rarely can when I read something I judge ridiculous. :blush-anim-cl:.

Maybe I'm still stuck in 2007 when sarcasm was a very common thing here on MFC. Now it's all sweet-talking and making sure nobody gets offended, but discussions here have always been quite edgy. It doesn't mean that I want to insult someone.

Just because Mika looks like he's looking directly at the camera, doesn't mean he is looking at the person photographing him. He's probably just happened to glance that direction at the time of the shot. It doesn't mean he is aware of someone taking a shot of him at that particular moment.

I don't know,this is my impression :dunno:

Maybe I'm still stuck in 2007 when sarcasm was a very common thing here on MFC. Now it's all sweet-talking and making sure nobody gets offended, but discussions here have always been quite edgy. It doesn't mean that I want to insult someone.

Sarcasm is the only way we have here to avoid drama and drama queeens.

People take things too seriously sometimes and others try to take things back to

normal.

People please! Sarcasm can be so amusing! :naughty:

I love Ingie :wub2:

I agree on everything you wrote.

Maybe I've got a different way on thinking about popularity and the best way to increase it. I think he should focus on his music and his label on promotion, instead of relying on talent shows and paps pics. Show biz is just something i don't agree with, and I like old MFC be the mirror in which I reflect my face.

People take things too seriously sometimes and others try to take things back to

normal.

I love you too :wub2:

normal.

Sarcasm is like chocolate: when taken in small dosage, it's good. Take too much and it's stomach ache or worse.

Maybe I'm too used to pounder my every word in my work life, but there are ways to express one's opinion without putting too much:thumb_yello:

One last thing I want to add: not everyone has met each other in RL so it can be hard for some peeps to realize the intentions behind the words

How can you tell that he is looking at the camera, knowing it's there?

They aren't just over the pool from them most likely, they are more likely to be a fair distance away hiding with powerful telephoto lens, which Christine has pointed out constantly.

Just because Mika looks like he's looking directly at the camera, doesn't mean he is looking at the person photographing him. He's probably just happened to glance that direction at the time of the shot. It doesn't mean he is aware of someone taking a shot of him at that particular moment.

I don't know,this is my impression :dunno:
I get the same impression :dunno:

I have similar thoughts and feelings Deb

Even in case Mika agreed at some point to share paparazzi pictures on the net, IMO he can't be happy about that/them and never will;

he may just be willing to accept and tolerate the situation as a price of popularity.

I'm sure he and his family/friends appreciate our discretion; plus it's not only about the pics but also about all the gossiping that would follow.

Edited by mari62

Even in case Mika agreed at some point to share paparazzi pictures on the net, he can't be happy about that/them and never will.

I'm sure he and his family/friends appreciate our discretion; plus it's not only about the pics but also about all the gossiping that would follow.

Thank you, Mari, you can always put your words in such a calm and clear way. Totally agree with you.

I find it ridiculous to think we don't have any idea how Mika or his family feel about paps intruding on their holiday. I have never heard of anyone in the history of celebrity not being annoyed by the fact that they were stalked and photographed in private moments like this. Do they learn to tolerate it? I guess some of them have to because if you're Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie it takes over your entire life. But this has not been a daily fact of life for Mika or his family just because he is famous. People do not take pictures of them everywhere they go and publish them. Surely it is just as unnerving for one of Mika's cousins to find a picture of herself on a tabloid site in a bathing suit on holiday with her family as it would be for any of us.

And would any of us not be disturbed by the idea that anything that we EVER do that is not inside our home could be published in the media? If anyone answers yes to this question then I guess there is a cultural difference I am not aware of or perhaps a generation gap. Because where I come from it is just common sense and no normal human being would welcome this kind of intrusion.

And we have plenty of evidence that Mika and his family are normal in this sense and not the Kardashians. There are times I've been around Mika where cameras were forbidden by fans, nevermind the press. Yasmine has specifically asked fans not to post photos of her on the internet. One of Mika's friends has specifically requested to MFC that her private pictures of Mika not be posted on MFC. I'm sure anyone who's seen Mika's father at a gig has noticed he is very quiet and reserved and not exactly Justin Bieber's mother looking for attention. And I think the COUNTLESS times that Mika has said that he very purposefully restricted his behaviour (and let's face it, limited his fame and therefore his ability to sell his music) so that he would not be hounded by the media speaks for itself.

As for the argument that Mika Italia should utilize these pics because paps will be paps and you can't control their behaviour - also ridiculous. It's like saying the police cannot control guns so they should just hand them out on the streets and encourage everyone to use them. People post pics on MFC because they like to look at pics of Mika. A record company posts things on social media to encourage people to talk (and in this case the talk is going to be gossip about his personal life) about Mika and spread the photos as far and wide over the internet as possible. It's just weird that they are basically sanctioning this pap stalking and are primarily responsible for encouraging Mika fans to spread these pics far and wide.

i found it interesting that while your post made me think about what *i* would say if i was on those pictures, i noticed that indeed the kind of photos and what is written next to them would make the difference for me whether i'd find it ok or not. seriously, if it was good pictures (i.e. not embarrassing) and the article was positive, i wouldn't mind pap pictures of myself on my beach holiday. especially if it supported my goals, for example gaining more recognition and clients for my own enterprise. sure, i can only speak for myself here, not for mika. and of course i do see the problem that often pap pictures ARE embarrassing and they DO come with articles that scream "scandal!"... no one wants that, except some celebs who arrange things like that to keep the media interested in them. from what i know, paps aren't per se a pain in the a** of any celeb, but many celebs use them for their purposes.

but yes, the problem with paps and especially tabloids is that you can hardly control them. if they think your time as a celeb is over, or you annoyed them in any way, they can kill your career faster than they helped it start. i'm glad mika doesn't depend on paps and tabloids. and if we can help that it stays this way by not spreading such pictures, then i understand the argument that even if it was ok for mika we shouldn't do it. :thumb_yello:

I´m maybe late, but I share the common sense showed here. No way should MFC post those pics. Since the very beginning this forum has been respectful and I think it should continue this way (even more knowing who owns the site) so as it´s been told, the net is a very big place where you can find any gossip at any time and as an MFCer I think I rather have the name of his only official fanclub out of this gossip.

i found it interesting that while your post made me think about what *i* would say if i was on those pictures, i noticed that indeed the kind of photos and what is written next to them would make the difference for me whether i'd find it ok or not. seriously, if it was good pictures (i.e. not embarrassing) and the article was positive, i wouldn't mind pap pictures of myself on my beach holiday. especially if it supported my goals, for example gaining more recognition and clients for my own enterprise. sure, i can only speak for myself here, not for mika. and of course i do see the problem that often pap pictures ARE embarrassing and they DO come with articles that scream "scandal!"... no one wants that, except some celebs who arrange things like that to keep the media interested in them. from what i know, paps aren't per se a pain in the a** of any celeb, but many celebs use them for their purposes.

but yes, the problem with paps and especially tabloids is that you can hardly control them. if they think your time as a celeb is over, or you annoyed them in any way, they can kill your career faster than they helped it start. i'm glad mika doesn't depend on paps and tabloids. and if we can help that it stays this way by not spreading such pictures, then i understand the argument that even if it was ok for mika we shouldn't do it. :thumb_yello:

I think the issue here is: is Mika a celebrity? I rather consider him an artist... And artists like to be known by their jobs rather than by their hols with family/friends.

Even in case Mika agreed at some point to share paparazzi pictures on the net, IMO he can't be happy about that/them and never will;

he may just be willing to accept and tolerate the situation as a price of popularity.

Yes, I think knowing everything he ever said and seeing how he protected his personal life and the people around him over the years, it's clear that he doesn't like these kind of photos.

Maybe he accepted that there will be no way of avoiding these photos totally, especially now, but accepting doesn't mean approving.

seriously, if it was good pictures (i.e. not embarrassing) and the article was positive, i wouldn't mind pap pictures of myself on my beach holiday. especially if it supported my goals, for example gaining more recognition and clients for my own enterprise. sure, i can only speak for myself here, not for mika.

But there are other people in these photos besides Mika and nothing that is written in these articles is going to further their goals. What I was asking was for people to put themselves in the shoes of Mika's family and friends and ask themselves if it would not be unnerving to think that EVERYTHING you do with this person outside of your home MAY be published by the media. Do you understand my point? I am not talking about THESE particular photos and whether one would be embarrassed if they were published. The issue is what it must feel like to know that your privacy could be invaded at any time. How that would make you feel, how it would affect your behaviour in the future, etc.

It has been said several times that the question here is not how Mika or his family would feel but what kind of site we want MFC to be but these two issues are inextricably linked to me. The reason that posting these pictures on MFC feels wrong is because anyone should be able to empathize with Mika and his friends and family and imagine how awful it would be to be stalked and intruded upon in this way. If Mika wanted celebrity and to get media attention like the Kardashians and their ilk he could stage something more controlled like going to a club or restaurant to be "seen". No one, NO ONE in their right mind wants to be stalked while they are spending private time with their families. I can't believe even reality TV stars want to be filmed without their knowledge.

If this wasn't the case - if celebrities and their loved ones did not feel stalked and violated, then no I would not have a problem with these pics on MFC. The reason we feel uncomfortable with these pics being posted here is because we know it must be an unpleasant experience to be the victim of these photographers and we do not want to participate in it or profit from it because it feels wrong.