Mikasounds, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram updates - Part 13

BiaIchihara

little OT :I don't know how much do you know the use of the various bad words in Italian, the word "frocio" (and many other synonymous) is often used as a totally generic insult, people argue and insult a boy/man with this word,even if it has nothing to do with the context,  as much as they could say "puttana" (whore)or same meaning insults, to a girl.... it kinda shows an ancient homophobic culture which uses homosexuality as an insult

I’ve been reading twitter, MFC, FB etc… since I first found out about what is happening and I have to admit that I’m very uncomfortable about it… As much as my first reaction was to keep my opinion for myself about the whole drama, it’s been in my thoughts throughout the day and I finally feel like saying I don’t get it at all!

Having experienced myself, for some other reasons, how painful it sometimes is to deal with stupid people constantly judging you and pointing out that you’re “different” in very cruel ways, I can understand how personal it is to deal with this. Therefore I don’t get at all how people, not being part of Mika’s close relatives, family, friends and pretending to show him some respect and love, can send him this picture over and over again to such an extent that he has to publicly react to this…

Of course no one forced him to write what he did, nor to change his profile picture etc… but still, hadn’t he received thousands of messages reminding him about this poster, he wouldn’t have giving it so much attention… simply because it doesn’t deserve attention at all! OK a stupid asshole tagged a poster with very negative words pointing out the fact that he his gay…so what? I unfortunately don’t think it’s the first time this is happening and I don’t think it’s the last either… There are stupid haters at every corner around the world and we all know this. Mika surely knows it more than some of us and he knows how it is best for him to deal with them… so what’s the point of sending him this picture and who are we to get into his privacy and ask him for a public reaction about it?

I’ve been fan of his for a few years now, more or less depending of my tastes with his music and the way he decides to build his career, but I never considered myself, and never will, close enough to give him my opinion about things regarding only him in his private life… I love his music and enjoy going at his gigs that’s all. Of course the few things I know about the person he his are touching me also but I’ll never considerate I know him closely enough to pretend being in a position allowing me to tell him what I think about his personal life!

Of course using his public status could have been a good thing if it was his choice and if it was made through helping some associations in raising money for them, being personally implied in some of them or stuff like that… but harassing someone via social media to such an extent that he has to react to something very personal and be the spokesman of the whole cause makes no sense to me… nor to send him hundreds of messages telling him how much we love him and support him in his very personal fight afterwards… 

Edited by Nanou
  • Like 2

Yeah, it must be about the nuances of the English language.  :mf_rosetinted:

Anyway, don't take my words too literally. Of course there's no conspirancy.  :wink2:

Yes, I only meant that the people who wrote the graffiti were targeting him. But they are just stupid  individuals, not conspirators. 

I had absolutely no idea what was going on and completely tuned it out until someone mentioned it to me on Facebook. I don't want to waste my time trying to translate tweets that are irrelevant to me. How am I supposed to know this is some horrible incident that hurt him and not some rubbish about XF likw he had tweeted before that? Even when someone mentioned it to me I still couldn't translate the grafitti or the hashtag through my app. Why do I have to speak Italian or know Italians or painstakingly type everything I see into Google translate to try to figure out what is going on in order to support Mika? I just have to assume he does not want my support or he would ask for it in English and/or French since virtually none of his fans outside Italy understand Italian. I am certainly not going to jump on any slactivism bandwagon without knowing exactly what is going on.

I didn't say you should've reacted to his tweets, ofc it's perfectly ok if you don't care about his non-english tweets. I just wanted to explain why *I* reacted to them, although i don't live in italy. ;) and explain my view why i don't find it irritating that fans from all over the world reacted to his tweets. That doesn't mean i think you're a bad fan cause you didn't!

I don’t get at all how people, not being part of Mika’s close relatives, family, friends and pretending to show him some respect and love, can send him this picture over and over again to such an extent that he has to publicly react to this…

When I first saw the pic I immediately thought "I don't want Mika to see that, I hope people will be sensitive and sensible enough not to share it". And of course they did. I started to see it on some random facebook profiles, then on twitter, all over again. 

I am fine with his reaction, although at first I didn't agree at all. I would have ignored it. But I see now that he couldn't, so it was a smart move to turn it into a media fuss. 

Anyway, I agree with you, I really don't get why people would want him to see it. It's ok to warn people you care about when someone is talking s**t about them, but that is not the case. He's totally aware that somewhere in the world haters are calling him names, he doesn't need fans to rub it in his face. A friend of mine has the privilege of having her own haters, and I told her that I wouldn't report anything to her, as it's morbid. I don't want her to feel bad for no reason. Of course, if something new happened, I would tell her, but only when she can fight back. If she couldn't, I would shut my mouth. Why would I report it to her and watch her suffer. 

So yeah, I would have rather preferred people to mind their own business, even though I think his reaction was briliant. 

And I actually now feel kind of bad for having joined the buzz for my own fun. As I said, I did it only after the manager did (which made it pretty clear that Mika was fine with it) and I only shared the hashtag cause I still disagreed about the pic, but still. I am not ok for having parttake in something he was pushed to do. I didn't realize he was kind of forced into this choice. 

Edited by Elwendin
  • Like 1

Therefore I don’t get at all how people, not being part of Mika’s close relatives, family, friends and pretending to show him some respect and love, can send him this picture over and over again to such an extent that he has to publicly react to this… […]

Of course no one forced him to write what he did, nor to change his profile picture etc… but still, hadn’t he received thousands of messages reminding him about this poster, he wouldn’t have giving it so much attention…

That's not really how it happened. It was mostly between fans over the day. A few did tag him, but you have these people who don't think all the time. I also think it wasn't a smart move to share in the beginning and to re-share later, even between fans, as it was clear that it would made a fuss and reach Mika at some point because there are always people not thinking and tagging him. But it's not like the majority of fans did shove this poster into his face. But than his Italian manager posted this picture, some minutes beforehand fans did the first Tweets with the hashtag (without tagging Mika). And than the thing developed its own dynamics. And shortly after Mika reacted. And than it really "blew up". And once he used it himself he turned the message of the picture. So it was something different to post it.

You can blame the manager in a way. I did it myself at the beginning, as this was the best "advertisement" for this picture and a way to make sure Mika does see it. But I did like what developed out of it, people standing up against homophobia. Sometimes it's good to speak up loud and clearly.

• Like 7

You can blame the manager in a way. I did it myself at the beginning, as this was the best "advertisement" for this picture and a way to make sure Mika does see it.

I was puzzled about his choice as well at first, then I got it when I realized that they were probaby aiming to mass media and such. And it really worked out. 

But as soon as I saw the manager sharing the pic I was sure that Mika must have been already aware of it. I can't see him doing such a thing without having discussed it beforehand. 

You can blame the manager in a way. I did it myself at the beginning, as this was the best "advertisement" for this picture and a way to make sure Mika does see it. But I did like what developed out of it, people standing up against homophobia. Sometimes it's good to speak up loud and clearly.

Ok i get a bit more how it all worked then. I did not see the italian manager's message as i have no single idea who he is xD

Anyway what makes me so uncomfortable about this all is that for me it has nothing to do with people standing up against homophobia... It's only people standing up against Mika being attacked on a personal matter which is a completely different thing... It's pointless.

• Like 1

And guys, lets be honest. Mika is not one to shy away from standing up for what he believes in. Sure, he may not have said anything if it hadn't gone so viral, but it's not like he hasn't done things on his own before. From his songs, to his pictures and messages with Fedez for Milano's pride, to when he attended the rally for JeSuisCharlie. That last one really made me nervous for him admittedly. He's very brave, not just with his personal life and open-ness more recently, but with his courage to take a stand on public matters. Heck even his tweet about Cecil the Lion!

Ok i get a bit more how it all worked then. I did not see the italian manager's message as i have no single idea who he is xD

Anyway what makes me so uncomfortable about this all is that for me it has nothing to do with people standing up against homophobia... It's only people standing up against Mika being attacked on a personal matter which is a completely different thing... It's pointless.

I can see how some of it is that way. People only thinking "how dare they attack my precious Mika!" (Nooo I'm not being snarky at all right there!  :wink2:) But there are some, and enough, that are using it more as another means of starting a dialogue about the problem. That's a good thing. But I haven't participated in the hashtag. Because I don't know anyone Italian who isn't a Mika fan lol. However his comments afterward are what really get me. About his instinct being to run and him fighting it and that love cannot be controlled. That speaks to me on a deep and personal level. I imagine it does to so many others as well. Not just about homophobia and LGBT issues, but just in general standing up to bullies and realizing love isn't something you chose. I can only hope some others see his comments from this and find them as inspiring and true and relevant to them as I do to me.

• Like 2

And guys, lets be honest. Mika is not one to shy away from standing up for what he believes in. Sure, he may not have said anything if it hadn't gone so viral, but it's not like he hasn't done things on his own before. From his songs, to his pictures and messages with Fedez for Milano's pride, to when he attended the rally for JeSuisCharlie. That last one really made me nervous for him admittedly. He's very brave, not just with his personal life and open-ness more recently, but with his courage to take a stand on public matters. Heck even his tweet about Cecil the Lion!

Well, it's not like he went to Africa to shield lions with his own body.... 

When it comes to the other topics, they all are something he decided to join, but none of those things affected him directly. He had no relatives involved in Charlie's mass murder, and Milano's pride was going to happen with or without him, whereas the pic was something more personal and pinching.

I don't know how to explain it better, but it seem a different thing to me. It's not about believing in something, it's about reacting to a personal insult. 

Then he made a whole campaign out of it, but it's not like he woke up yesterday and said "let me start a campaign against homophobia today". 

He just made the best of a bad business

Edited by Elwendin
  • Like 1

When I first saw the pic it got me so upset that I hoped for Mika not to see it and I agree that it wasn't the best idea ever to tag him, but I like the fact that people reacted. It's not like they only shared the pic for gossip and stuff, they disagreed with the message and that's something that matters. Whatever the reason that pushed people to speak out, it soon became something more than just a bunch of pissed Mika fans, it became a demonstration of tolerance and support and acceptance to all the people who are bullied for being different for something they can't even change and I honestly can't see how that's a bad thing. The person who wrote that thing on those posters didn't do it just to pick on Mika, but because that's what he thinks is the right thing to do and who knows what else he may have done to gay people in real life and this is something that really needs to change, especially since institutions and politicians do nothing to protect those people. Just the mere fact that people don't ignore the problem but face it is important. Step by step you can run marathons. This was not just about Mika, he was just a symbol of a bigger fight.

• Like 9

Well, quoting a little bit everyone here. I think the real thing started in the moment when his manager tweeted the first pic and showed his point of view about it, saying that being silent wasn't the right way to deal with it. I don't believe Mika HAD to step in. I believe it was his own choice not to keep silent anymore, but to speak his mind loud and clear and show some sort of gratitude, towards the bunch of people that had been tweeting with the hashtag #RompiamoIlSilenzio for the last few hours.

I think he appreciated the way the image and the message in it, could start such a big reaction and, at that point, I believe he did a good job in supporting this spontaneously-born campaign stepping in himself. I think he had been in contact with his manager throughout the whole thing, firstly because he was having a private gig in Italy at that time, and his manager is often at his side when Mika's here, secondly because the tweets he sent, are absolutely Italian-mistakes-free, and as they contain a few tricky grammatical rules, I would bet he co-wrote them with his manager checking on them.

What I'm trying to say is that I don't think he reacted the way he did, completely out of the blue, but neither do I think he was pushed by someone in doing the deed. 

The massive thing that came out as a reaction of Mika's tweets, I think has a deep meaning. It shows how people are willing to sustain this sort of causes and how the power of people working together can move the press and the media in a strong way.  

I also believe that, it not only did help Mika himself, but it did also help people suffering from this kind of bullyism and discrimination, as it might have shown them that if there's a person who thinks gay are against nature, there are thousands of other people supporting their way of being. And for a teenager facing this sort of problems, this can be heart-warming and reassuring. 

I’m proud of Mika’s reaction and I think it perfectly follows his way of thinking and the way he’s been always dealing with this topic. 

When I first saw the pic it got me so upset that I hoped for Mika not to see it and I agree that it wasn't the best idea ever to tag him, but I like the fact that people reacted. It's not like they only shared the pic for gossip and stuff, they disagreed with the message and that's something that matters. Whatever the reason that pushed people to speak out, it soon became something more than just a bunch of pissed Mika fans, it became a demonstration of tolerance and support and acceptance to all the people who are bullied for being different for something they can't even change and I honestly can't see how that's a bad thing. The person who wrote that thing on those posters didn't do it just to pick on Mika, but because that's what he thinks is the right thing to do and who knows what else he may have done to gay people in real life and this is something that really needs to change, especially since institutions and politicians do nothing to protect those people. Just the mere fact that people don't ignore the problem but face it is important. Step by step you can run marathons. This was not just about Mika, he was just a symbol of a bigger fight.

PS. I can gladly notice we see things through the same eyes! ;)

Edited by *Vv*
  • Like 3

I can't bear issues like this. Why are those people so biased about other people's choices or ways to be happy?? Generally, I get really upset when a person is judged for their sexuality. In addition now, this is about both homophobia and Mika. When I saw his tweet, I translated it by using google translate in order to have an idea about what he wrote. I didnt expect that, I was shocked. I felt like I was gonna cry. Why did a person want to insult someone by using such a bad word? I cant really understand. Still, ı feel something sad in my heart. But I love what Mika has done. If he had ignored it, I would appreciate again, but this was brave. Did that person manage to insult or hurt Mika? I dont think so. On the contrary, this made him stronger. This showed he had millions of people who love him and support him and showed how he was openminded and respectful about what other people thought about him. I hope everyone who goes through things like this can stay calm and become stronger, just like Mika ????????

• Like 3

Thanks, you basically put into words what I think about it.

• Like 1

Well said!

• Like 1

I NEVER watch the news nor read newspapers but even me learned about an assault on a gay the other day. Which means that this silence isn't that strong. At least this is my percetion. People around me are from very to quite ok with the subject and it's not like I live in a blessed town or something. Of course old people, or frustrated wannabe alpha males, still don't accept homosexuality, like they don't accept foreigners or that women are clever beings, or that animals do suffer both emotionally and physically like we do, or A.R.T., or whatever. 

But it's not like people are scared to talk about such things. Society is changing, and these people's world is falling apart. That writing on the poster was more likely to reassure the writer than to insult Mika, at the end of the day. Aggressiveness almost always springs out of fear. And it's not through some tweets that people are going to change that. It's through news papers (well done, mission accomplished), daily life, little things and events that change the unusual in ordinary, and through love. I do think that Mika appealing to so many people in Italy helps the gays acceptance. They love him, hence they accept what he is. 

Briefly, Mika is helping gay rights to be spread in many ways, and I think he's very good at turning an assault into a strong point. I was translating this the other day: "- So, Mika, if anyone attacked you in the street, what would you do? - It depends. I hate violence. But it depends on why they would attack me, cause it's.... the reason is actually all what matters. It's not about the assault itself, it's about the reason." He has a very good reason, and he's turning out to be quite a good fighter. 

But I don't think it's about to break the silence, as I don't see much silence around, except for our politicians who still are reluctant, but they will come around, eventually. 

They are not targeting him. There's plenty of random posters around which get ruined through insulting doodles. It's not like there's a "let's pick on Mika" movement. 

That was one single guy's act, it happened before and it will happen again. 

Some months ago a guy took a pic with Mika who had lunch in his restaurant, then he started to write insults to him in the comments just cause his friends were all winding him up and telling them that Mika is gay, so why did he take a pic with him. It wasn't about Mika, it was about his little unsure macho-man ego which was shaking when he realized that his clique wasn't approving the pic. 

There is no anti-Mika conspiracy. 

You learned about an assault on a gay the other day. This is the point: there isn't only one: especially in recent years there have been ever increasing episodes like that and suicides due to bullying, so much so that on several occasions has been tried to make a law against homophobia and transphobia, but did not succeed (http://it.ibtimes.com/reato-omofobia-la-legge-e-ferma-senato-da-quasi-due-anni-italia-lontana-anni-luce-dagli-altri-paesi). A few episodes have been reported in the mass media (and what about the Sentinels, the government initiatives against bullying withdrawn because of the protests of the Church and of ultra-Catholic families, the "Family Day" and conferences "to defend the traditional family" with our politicians at the expense of taxpayers, books about gay families banned by some Italian mayors, etc. etc.?), who are the ones that can really stir the conscience of the people. Because the silence and the indifference are the things that hurt more. But I agree that slowly there is more attention to all this and if a famous person can help to be even more aware of this, it can become in the end a good thing.

This is not or not just about Mika, it's a shameful thing for a civilized country. Sorry, but to me it doesn't seem that the posters of Vasco Rossi or Ligabue get ruined with slogans homophobic, and even if they were it isn't the same thing because the use of "frocio"/"fag", a derogatory term, and even more to a declared homosexual man, is discrimination.

For those who want to know more about it, a few examples:

http://www.corriere.it/cultura/speciali/2015/mappa-omofobia/

omofobia-zoom.jpg

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violenza_contro_le_persone_LGBT

http://www.radio24.ilsole24ore.com/notizie/aggressioni-agedo-nostri-figli-181044-gSLArsDLJB?refresh_ce=1

http://gayburg.blogspot.it/2015/07/gli-omofobi-contro-i-giudici-i.html

http://www.gaywave.it/s/violenza-contro-gay/#refresh_ce

post-23401-0-76029700-1439179712_thumb.jpg

Edited by charlie20
  • Like 1

I've read the discussion, and can only add that I'm glad the authorities in Florence has removed this banner - and thereby  made it clear,  that this kind of street pollution, aimed at one specific ( and in this case famous ) person is not acceptable :thumb_yello:  If it had been done without the attention from the media, maybe the Italiens here can tell, I don't know... :dunno: 

Love,love

me 

• Like 3

Sorry, but to me it doesn't seem that the posters of Vasco Rossi or Ligabue get ruined with slogans homophobic

Mhhhh. Maybe because they are straight? Just my shot in the dark  :mf_rosetinted:

Other gay singers get insults and some fans even write them they will stop following them, as soon as they learn they are gay. Mika isn't the first one and won't be the last. 

You learned about an assault on a gay the other day. This is the point: there isn't only one: especially in recent years there have been ever increasing episodes like that and suicides due to bullying, so much so that on several occasions has been tried to make a law against homophobia and transphobia, but did not succeed

Yes, I've heard about one assault + the spiteful deed against Mika (which I would have learned about even if I weren't a fan as it's all over my non Mika fan wall on FB). This makes 2 gay hatred facts I found out about  in a really few days, which is not bad, considering that it's not like they punch a gay in the face every single day and I never watch the news. I don't learn about every single robbery or act of bullying that happens in Italy as well. Only major stuff gets the attention of the media, and there's no censorship about the ones involving gays and, as you said, laws were about to be written. Their failure is not due to lack of information. In a matter of fact, you are aware about suicides and similar things, cause news do report them. There's no silence to be broken.

Edited by Elwendin

That doesn't mean i think you're a bad fan cause you didn't!

I didn't think that's what you were saying. It is just obvious to me that non Italian fans were purposely excluded since any average person outside of Italy would have to go to such extraordinary lengths to find out what was happening, or even that anything actually was happening of this nature. A bunch of English fans asked me last night why another English fan was talking about Mika and gay rights. They have been following Mika on Twitter since day one but they tune out his Italian tweets, like I do since what he does in Italy and says in Italian is unintelligble and irrelevant to us.

I find it irritating that people have to be so up in all of Mika's business that they have to include themselves in everything when it has nothing to do with them. I have no idea (and do not care) what the bigger movement has become in Italy re gay rights but all I saw in my timeline were people "defending" Mika and kissing his ass and just generally seeking his attention. People are free to not be annoyed by that but it annoys me. It is still going on today and I have had to mute half the Mika fans I follow because I can't stand it anymore.

I didn't think that's what you were saying. It is just obvious to me that non Italian fans were purposely excluded since any average person outside of Italy would have to go to such extraordinary lengths to find out what was happening, or even that anything actually was happening of this nature. A bunch of English fans asked me last night why another English fan was talking about Mika and gay rights. They have been following Mika on Twitter since day one but they tune out his Italian tweets, like I do since what he does in Italy and says in Italian is unintelligble and irrelevant to us.

I find it irritating that people have to be so up in all of Mika's business that they have to include themselves in everything when it has nothing to do with them. I have no idea (and do not care) what the bigger movement has become in Italy re gay rights but all I saw in my timeline were people "defending" Mika and kissing his ass and just generally seeking his attention. People are free to not be annoyed by that but it annoys me. It is still going on today and I have had to mute half the Mika fans I follow because I can't stand it anymore.

I don't think Mika's tweets in Italian were to exclude anyone, of course if something's going on in Italy or among Italian fans, he's gonna tweet in Italian. What's the point of him tweeting in English for everyone to understand if the rest of the world wasn't aware of what was happening anyway? Then, if some non Italian fans were interested enough to try to understand his tweets and thought joining the hashtag was the right thing to do, no one told them not to, just as no one was expecting anyone to take part if they didn't want to. There's no good or bad choice in this story, we're all different and we all act according to what we think it's the best thing to do, if people did it with good intentions I don't understand what the problem is. As I said, it soon went beyond Mika and if someone took part in it only to seek his attention, they clearly missed the point of the whole thing.

• Like 3

There's no good or bad choice in this story, we're all different and we all act according to what we think it's the best thing to do, if people did it with good intentions I don't understand what the problem is.

I never said it was good or bad. I never said it was a problem. I said it annoyed me. i don't really understand why anyone is challenging me about how I feel as if it's up for debate.

I never said it was good or bad. I never said it was a problem. I said it annoyed me. i don't really understand why anyone is challenging me about how I feel as if it's up for debate.

It was just a general statement as a conclusion to what I said, I'm not discussing your feelings at all.

I agree that he didnt want to exclude anyone not living in Italy, but I think it would be better if he had written in English, which is his mother tongue. Because it isnt about only Italy or Mika. In that way, everyone could clearly understand what was happening.