Center of Gravity - Lyrics & Discussion

Elwendin

It seems that the majority of people here like it. I don't:doh: Their voices are great, this is clearly not the problem. I think this is just the music itself, this isn't the music I listen usually and I will not change it for this one. I don't know the original but I'm pretty sure I will not like it  :teehee:

This isn't a song I would like to hear in live, I'm a bit disapointed.  :dunno:

Anyway, I'm more optimist for the others news songs  :thumb_yello:

This does make perfect sense even some of the other sentences are so long it's difficult to understand before listening to the song several times! Thanks everyone for collecting the lyrics, there are still a few words I can't catch... 

I love hearing Mika's voice in the song  :wub:  I can well understand why Battiato is so liked in Italy, for me this song is so much fun, like a mixture of Queen and a Swedish Eurovision song, such an absurd combination  :naughty: But Mika's voice fits there well and personally I like hearing 80's sound. 

:lmfao: But music-wise it hits the nail pretty much on the head :D

I want to write some words about the original lyric of Franco Battiato's song, that can result absolutely absurd to many of you. :teehee:

Sorry for my imperfect english, I try. :)

Among the many intellectual interests of Franco Battiato (a real genius, for me...an intellectual of our times), there is the passionate study of oriental philosophies and esoteric mystic. In a constant search for spirituality.

Many of the lyrics of Battiato's songs are actually hermetic texts: at fisrt, they can appear as  'nonsense' songs, meaningless, but at a deeper level of analysis between the notes of a song apparently "pop" or "dance", in spite of a catchy refrain, you can discover hidden symbolism and complex references (for example in this song: the novel "Captains Courageous" by Kipling, or the figure of Matteo Ricci, an Italian Jesuit, mathematician and at the same time missionary in China in the late 1500s ).

Here, the "center of permanent gravity" is a state of consciousness, a centering of our being that can observes the outside world and at the same time our deep personality.
It is the deep research of a "true point of center", a point that is only part of our true nature, and not the result of thousand of influences, tastes and cultural conditionings which do not belong to ourselves.
From that point it is possible to start and try to build a true soul.
Once you reach the "real centering", which is an elevation of consciousness, you are able to break away from suffering, from the complaint, fear, stress....

This idea, developed by Battiato in this song, could be a recall to one of the fundamental teachings of the philosophical school of an armenian mystic philosopher studied in deep by Battiato, "Georges Ivanovič Gurdjieff", who developed the "system of awakening" called "Fourth Way" in which the center of gravity is a sort of midway between being mechanical and asleep and the research of the construction of one's soul.

A great way to "see" beyond appearances and not to change your mind about things and people ..

In short, Mika has not chosen to sing a "silly song". :wink2:

Hope you can see this video, a live performance of this song...

Edited by Marta.
  • Like 6

Without having read all of the posts before this I just want to say, I love this :wub2:

It's very '80s to me, but that is not a bad thing in my opinion -- I love the whole vibe of the song.

As for the lyrics, I'm still working on them, but I think it's "Smiling girls in ginza style bowing to the powder queen and her clever dandy"... If you look up ginza style I think you'll understand. :)

When I have figured out the rest I'll be back with my thoughts on them. :thumb_yello:

• Like 1

I get a late 60s, early 70s vibe from it.

It reminds me of an old Scott Walker song called Jackie. Not so much the actual tune, but the feel of it.

Also the theme of a show I used to see as a kid, called The Flashing Blade.

Thanks for your explanation, Marta! :flowers2: Mika must have been thrilled to sing this song with Battiato, he seems like a genius indeed. The English lyrics make perfect sense, it's the musical combination that makes the song sound absurd to me, in a good way, I love it! 

A lot of people are making a fuss about how some lyrics don't make sense, and I personally don't think it matters. Plenty of songs went on to become famous when they literally had no meaning or sense to them, I Am The Walrus by The Beatles is obviously a famous song. There's a song by McFly called Little Joanna that uses weird descriptions that don't make sense. Sometimes it's just fun to listen to songs that don't make sense.

I would like to add that this is my opinion and I do not intend for anything I have said to be rude or judgemental.

• Like 1

I don't know if it because I'm "young", but when I listened this song, I hated the mellody. It's so retro, so 80's for me. But I like the voice of Mika in this song.

Maybe it cause of I heard it only one time...

However, If I listen many times, it would be possible that I could like it.

I want to write some words about the original lyric of Franco Battiato's song, that can result absolutely absurd to many of you. :teehee:

Sorry for my imperfect english, I try. :)

Among the many intellectual interests of Franco Battiato (a real genius, for me...an intellectual of our times), there is the passionate study of oriental philosophies and esoteric mystic. In a constant search for spirituality.

Many of the lyrics of Battiato's songs are actually hermetic texts: at fisrt, they can appear as  'nonsense' songs, meaningless, but at a deeper level of analysis between the notes of a song apparently "pop" or "dance", in spite of a catchy refrain, you can discover hidden symbolism and complex references (for example in this song: the novel "Captains Courageous" by Kipling, or the figure of Matteo Ricci, an Italian Jesuit, mathematician and at the same time missionary in China in the late 1500s ).

Here, the "center of permanent gravity" is a state of consciousness, a centering of our being that can observes the outside world and at the same time our deep personality.

It is the deep research of a "true point of center", a point that is only part of our true nature, and not the result of thousand of influences, tastes and cultural conditionings which do not belong to ourselves.

From that point it is possible to start and try to build a true soul.

Once you reach the "real centering", which is an elevation of consciousness, you are able to break away from suffering, from the complaint, fear, stress....

This idea, developed by Battiato in this song, could be a recall to one of the fundamental teachings of the philosophical school of an armenian mystic philosopher studied in deep by Battiato, "Georges Ivanovič Gurdjieff", who developed the "system of awakening" called "Fourth Way" in which the center of gravity is a sort of midway between being mechanical and asleep and the research of the construction of one's soul.

A great way to "see" beyond appearances and not to change your mind about things and people ..

In short, Mika has not chosen to sing a "silly song". :wink2:

Hope you can see this video, a live performance of this song...

thank you so much Marta, you render justice to Battiato's great work  :thumb_yello:

• Like 1

Surprise surprise, here it is, suddenly available on I -Tunes and Spotify. 

Centro di Gravità is an old italian song from the early 80ies by Battiato. 

Mika and Battiato himself just released a new version in English: Centre of Gravity. 

I'm looking forward the lyrics (I'll try to listen to them in a while) as I've always loved this song. Like Sarà perchè ti amo (aka Talk about you), it belongs to my childhood and those childhood songs, you never forget. 

I think this version is very similar to the original version, no huge re-arrangement, and I'm happy with that. :yes:

I'm very curious to see if not italian people will like it. :unsure:

I think it's very catchy, but I have my reasons, not sure everybody agrees.

:Update:

Ok, some people had fun trying to figure out the lyrics. 

They don't make sense, as the italian ones didn't, and we are so not sure about what we wrote down, but join our quest and help us to improve them!

Narcissistic chansonniers fighting delusional poetry with the electric demons and spiritual (fuse/fugue/feuds???)
Smiling girls in ginza style bowing to the powder queen and her clever dandy
Stars are lighting renaissance, everything is making sense always finding enlightened impeccable data (??)
And now I'm losing control
Looking for a perpetual center of gravity that doesn't let me think about people in all the world that spins around me, nothing that matters more
Looking for a perpetual center of gravity so I don't have to think about people in all the world that spins around me over and over again
Mystical and majestic the air in Moscow cathedral, a cold winter day, I'm fading away
Alienating ??? are walking the city with vague strength to fulfill their mission and living agreement but they don't know what it's for
I'm just searching for a permanent center of gravity within an overdose of information in a world that spins around me, nothing that matters more
I'm just searching for a permanent center of gravity within an overdose of information in a world that spins around me over and over again
You are a woman in love, baby I need your love, I want your love over and over again

Thank you for the thread and the lyrics :huglove:

I love love love love this song :wub2: It makes me feel very happy :biggrin2: Is it just me or is there something of Bowie in this song? It just carries me away the way some Bowie songs do...I love the crazy lyrics too and that little melody at the end.... and the fact that it is a beautiful love song :wub2:

Marta , thanks a lot for explaining the philosophy behind the lyrics and I do like the original, but the version with Mika is enchanting and addictive to me :swoon:

Edited by crazyaboutmika

I've laughed when I read the lyrics ! Sooo strange  :lmfao: It's not my fault if I'm not a philosopher ! ^^

Okay, Battiato does a very good work in the way of the writing, he is very original

I'm going to listen this once again, I'm convinced now !

Third time in a row i'm listening to it...

first time i was like "whaaaaaa?"

second time i was like "hmm okay..."

third time i'm like "yeaaaaah :pbjt:  :yes: "

Right?

It grows on you!

• Like 2

Thank you for the thread and the lyrics :huglove:

I love love love love this song :wub2: It makes me feel very happy :biggrin2: Is it just me or is there something of Bowie in this song? It just carries me away the way some Bowie songs do...I love the crazy lyrics too and that little melody at the end.... and the fact that it is a beautiful love song :wub2:

Marta , thanks a lot for explaining the philosophy behind the lyrics and I do like the original, but the version with Mika is enchanting and addictive to me :swoon:

i like the end too. I dunno about Bowie, but ever since my first hearing Franco's voice has reminded me a bit of Morrissey's just at the end

Right?

It grows on you!

yeah, it does!  i've listened to it 5 times in a row this morning :teehee:

• Like 1

Third time in a row i'm listening to it...

first time i was like "whaaaaaa?"

second time i was like "hmm okay..."

third time i'm like "yeaaaaah :pbjt::yes: "

I had the same :lmfao:

Went from thinking "This is the weirdest thing I've ever heard" to dancing and singing along to the chorus