Say Something Random pt. 29 ~ Because why not

On 9/10/2023 at 4:44 PM, TinyLove_CJ said:

I was really looking forward to receiving a pre-ordered book tomorrow (11th) but I kept wondering why I hadn't had a dispatch email yet. I double checked the website and I've only just realised they use the US format for dates which means I'm not getting my book until 9th November! :annoyed_h4h:

I got my book a couple of days ago! Yay! 

The Life of Birds by David Attenborough.

20231111_113351.thumb.jpg.2cf111cad139046e904258f754eeedc8.jpg

Well worth the wait for this, I don't know if David will do more signed books in the future so I just had to have this! 

And the pictures are stunning, my phone camera doesn't do them justice 😍

20231111_113524.thumb.jpg.1320b2056fe8e887cd32104f09c282df.jpg

20231111_113425.thumb.jpg.fd28139ea8e5d95fa7b7e914ccc6c5ad.jpg

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, goose said:

I have just discovered this thread but I would 100% try trifle with bacon🙈 would that technically make it a breakfast food?!

If you can have cold pizza for breakfast (yuk),  then technically I guess yes.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, silver said:

Any excuse to eat trifle for breakfast! Unfortunately that's only a Christmas thing for me🥲. Cold pizza is a no from me though

40 minutes ago, silver said:

I love cold pizza. But if you are gonna reheat it, I recommend frying pan over low heat, covered. Crust gets crisp and cheese gets sofffft and delicious.

….oh, wait, that’s American pizza.

Edited by QueenBigFat

3 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

I got my book a couple of days ago! Yay! 

The Life of Birds by David Attenborough.

20231111_113351.thumb.jpg.2cf111cad139046e904258f754eeedc8.jpg

Well worth the wait for this, I don't know if David will do more signed books in the future so I just had to have this! 

And the pictures are stunning, my phone camera doesn't do them justice 😍

20231111_113524.thumb.jpg.1320b2056fe8e887cd32104f09c282df.jpg

20231111_113425.thumb.jpg.fd28139ea8e5d95fa7b7e914ccc6c5ad.jpg

Gorgeous book! :lustslow: Worth the wait. 

Imagine seeing the jacana but not realising that the legs belonged to the chicks... :lmfao:

Edited by Hero
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Hero said:

Not a fan of cold pizza, needs to be warm. But for cold breakfasts the morning after, can't beat a leftover curry. Delicious. 

(I didn't believe it until I tried it. Oh my.)

The question is... what kind of curry? 

59 minutes ago, goose said:

The question is... what kind of curry? 

Whichever you like! Leaving it overnight gives the flavours time to mix more and takes the edge off the harsher spices, so you still have the teasing complexity but with a softer, more rounded taste. I usually go for mild to medium, so bhuna, jalfrezi, korma. Not tried it with Thai curry, but the principle is the same so it should be nice. 

32 minutes ago, Hero said:

Whichever you like! Leaving it overnight gives the flavours time to mix more and takes the edge off the harsher spices, so you still have the teasing complexity but with a softer, more rounded taste. I usually go for mild to medium, so bhuna, jalfrezi, korma. Not tried it with Thai curry, but the principle is the same so it should be nice. 

Do you warm it up or have it cold? I love a good chicken biryani but a korma is great too. Never had proper Thai curry though🙃 Only the deal M and S do.

Wait @Hero you DID not manage to kill a spider plant??!

I have abandoned mine for months at a time and it's still thriving!

3 hours ago, QueenBigFat said:

I love cold pizza. But if you are gonna reheat it, I recommend frying pan over low heat, covered. Crust gets crisp and cheese gets sofffft and delicious.

….oh, wait, that’s American pizza.

Works for European pizza too, can confirm :D 

I used to do this every week with the pizza my roommate brought back from work. I miss her...

55 minutes ago, goose said:

Do you warm it up or have it cold? I love a good chicken biryani but a korma is great too.

Biryani should work too. I have it cold, but you could warm it up if preferred. 

55 minutes ago, goose said:

Never had proper Thai curry though🙃 Only the deal M and S do.

They're ok, but the real thing is better. If you have a nice Thai restaurant nearby, it's worth a visit. 

52 minutes ago, CharlotteL said:

Wait @Hero you DID not manage to kill a spider plant??!

I have abandoned mine for months at a time and it's still thriving!

I can't explain it. I just have this weird power. Poor things. :sad:  I like to think it rejuvenated after leaving me, and is currently happily spreading across a landfill site somewhere. :lol3:

A confession.  I was living in Sheffield at the time and was packing up my flat ready for a move back to Berkshire.  My brothers were "helping" and things got a bit chaotic, with items stuck into any available space in the van.  When we got back some things had to go into temporary storage while the new house was decorated.  I moved items back over time, but it was three months later when I unpacked my spin dryer (only because the washing machine had stopped working).  And inside I found - a pot plant (Devil's Ivy/Scindapsus).  Still alive despite being in the dark and not being watered all that time.

Living in Devon now and the plant is still with me.

So maybe you could give Devil's Ivy a try, Hero.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Hero said:

Gorgeous book! :lustslow: Worth the wait. 

Imagine seeing the jacana but not realising that the legs belonged to the chicks... :lmfao:

I was very confused about the multiple legs until I read the caption! 

2 hours ago, Hero said:

I can't explain it. I just have this weird power. Poor things. :sad:  I like to think it rejuvenated after leaving me, and is currently happily spreading across a landfill site somewhere. :lol3:

Just because I love house plants doesn't mean I've managed to keep all of them alive. I had a spider plant in the bathroom, I realise now that I don't think that was the best place to keep it. The soil was constantly dry, so I may have over watered it more often than not :sweatdrop:

Same thing with a with bonsai tree too...

And sadly 2 of my favourite cactuses went to the big garden in the sky a while back :(

Einstein and Flash will be greatly missed 😔

All the above talk of food though has made me hungry, so maybe I'll cheer myself up with a cold pizza! :licks_lips:

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, silver said:

So maybe you could give Devil's Ivy a try, Hero.

At this point I feel like I wouldn't want to inflict myself on the poor thing. Walking past the greenery section in the supermarket, I almost feel them quaking in their roots if I so much as glance at them. 

Ok, I may be slightly traumatised by my past experience with them. :lmfao:Thank god I'm better with my cat!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Hero said:

If you have a nice Thai restaurant nearby, it's worth a visit. 

I shall have a Google. There's a great Chinese restaurant near me that I tried this year. I can't believe I lived that long without lemon chicken...

• Like 1

At the supermarket this afternoon, browsing the toiletries section, a very embarrassed chap asked me for help in choosing between 2 types of sanitary pads for his wife. "She always gets a purple pack" didn't really narrow it down. :lol3: Thing is, it's the second time it's happened to me in that shop. Wonder if I should offer my services on a formal footing? :lmfao:

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Hero said:

At the supermarket this afternoon, browsing the toiletries section, a very embarrassed chap asked me for help in choosing between 2 types of sanitary pads for his wife. "She always gets a purple pack" didn't really narrow it down. :lol3: Thing is, it's the second time it's happened to me in that shop. Wonder if I should offer my services on a formal footing? :lmfao:

I kind of think that's sweet.

3 hours ago, Hero said:

Your story reminded me of this scene from Disney's 'Baymax!' series!

Sure you're not a happy to help health robot in disguise? :naughty:

I also think it's sweet that those men felt comfortable enough (and love their wives enough) to buy sanitary pads for them!

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

Sure you're not a happy to help health robot in disguise? :naughty:

I also think it's sweet that those men felt comfortable enough (and love their wives enough) to buy sanitary pads for them!

Not just to buy them, but to be so anxious about getting the right one. That scene is pretty accurate! :naughty:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

Omg the fact that they included a trans man but he's wearing a huge trans flag t-shirt presumably so cishet people understand what's going on :lmfao:

• Like 1

I had to write an essay for my Italian class yesterday titled "an unforgettable holiday" and of course I wrote about my summer trip to Perugia and seeing Mika there.

This is what I got as feedback:

image.thumb.jpeg.2bf695f4965d771a00aee99649deb39b.jpeg

And today the first thing she said was "Charlotte, you're the one who went to the Mika concert, right?" and rambled about how good his Italian is and that he's just an extraordinary guy and yeah if my Italian was better that conversation could have gone on for hours I think :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, CharlotteL said:

I had to write an essay for my Italian class yesterday titled "an unforgettable holiday" and of course I wrote about my summer trip to Perugia and seeing Mika there.

This is what I got as feedback:

image.thumb.jpeg.2bf695f4965d771a00aee99649deb39b.jpeg

And today the first thing she said was "Charlotte, you're the one who went to the Mika concert, right?" and rambled about how good his Italian is and that he's just an extraordinary guy and yeah if my Italian was better that conversation could have gone on for hours I think :D

So when is she joining the club? :biggrin2:

• Haha 1