Say Something Random pt. 29 ~ Because why not

If anyone is interested, the European Youth Choir Festival is taking place now. I was out all day yesterday singing. We had a lunch concert in one of Basel`s many churches. To be honest, most songs we sing don`t work well with church accostics :lol3: but it was fun anyways. We did get outshined by some of the more formal choirs, though. 

Since Basel is on the Rhine river we went on a boat trip with about six other choirs. The only purpose was to sing while floating up and down the river, past the city. I then became a temporary member of the Irish Youth Choir when they started singing sea shanties (I love sea shanties and can`t help but join along...). All in all a fantastic day! Today we will have an even fuller programme than yesterday, so I probably won`t be on here as much, unfortunately. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

Picked up a little moth yesterday that was in the kitchen and let it out the door.

Not really sure how to feel about that because I don't usually like moths, in the past I've freaked out even when a tiny one has just been in the same room as me.

Now I've carried one on my hand to give it a lift out the door?! :blink:

And at the start of the week I didn't even mind when a small spider walked over my hand...

(and it looked like an orb weaver too!)

Maybe I'm just becoming more fearless? 🤔

:clap:

• Like 1

I just wanted to give an update to my European Youth Choir Festival experience! As said before, Saturday was a very full day. We did two concerts in the city on these temporary stages. It was amazing to see the amount of people roaming the streets and listening to the many choirs preform. After that we had lunch, which ended with pretty much everyone in my choir laying on the ground, completely exhausted. Of course, after that we still had more singing and more listening and more walking...the day ended with a wonderful concert which we did not participate in (thankfully). The first half of the concert was a series of different choirs, mostly from Switzerland, singing one or two songs. The last choir was probably my favorite, the Youth Choir at the Riga Cathedral Choir School. Not to get too into the details but their intonation was perfect. You could not tell one voice from the next. 

The second half of the concert was a "multimedia symphony". There was an ochestra along with a projector screen playing videos of people telling stories, singing songs, and reciting poetry about the Northern Lights. In between videos the ochestra would play, and the choirs who sang in the first half sang in the second half too. Let me tell you, a total of 220 voice harmonizing all around you is bone-chilling to listen to. It was beautiful.

That`s all I got to see! Our choir was more of a supporting choir rather than a festival choir, so we were not invited to the final concert on Sunday. But I had a fantastic time, and I cannot wait for next year for the SKJF (yet another Swiss Choir Festival), which I will also be taking part in. I hope you all will be ready for more updates, I have fun talking about choir stuff. :wink2:

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

As @Prisca and @Hero requested I shall share my banana tree story!

I got a 'Grow Your Own Banana Tree' kit for my 6th birthday. This was not long after moving into a new house (where I still live now). A nice clean house...

I was really excited about growing my own bananas and my Mum had said she'd help me with the kit when we had a bit more time and once we had made room in the garden.

I was an impatient child...

So of course I took it upon myself to open the kit on my own. In the kitchen. At the kitchen sink....

Can you see where this is going yet?

The kit came with seeds, soil and some other kind of substrate that you're supposed to mix all together in a pot. I did not read the instructions...

I put everything in a small pot without mixing, placed the pot in the sink and added water...

Whatever that other substrate was, as soon as it got wet it began to EXPAND!

By this time my Mum must have heard me from the other room and came in to see what I was up to. Within minutes the sink was nearly full, and I hadn't put the plug hole in...

One plumber, 2 hours and around £100 later we had a new pipe fitted and anything left of the banana tree was swiftly put in the bin!

I've never had a 'Grow Your Own Tree' kit since and it's probably best I never do! 🙈 😂

• Haha 4

21 minutes ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

As @Prisca and @Hero requested I shall share my banana tree story!

I got a 'Grow Your Own Banana Tree' kit for my 6th birthday. This was not long after moving into a new house (where I still live now). A nice clean house...

I was really excited about growing my own bananas and my Mum had said she'd help me with the kit when we had a bit more time and once we had made room in the garden.

I was an impatient child...

So of course I took it upon myself to open the kit on my own. In the kitchen. At the kitchen sink....

Can you see where this is going yet?

The kit came with seeds, soil and some other kind of substrate that you're supposed to mix all together in a pot. I did not read the instructions...

I put everything in a small pot without mixing, placed the pot in the sink and added water...

Whatever that other substrate was, as soon as it got wet it began to EXPAND!

By this time my Mum must have heard me from the other room and came in to see what I was up to. Within minutes the sink was nearly full, and I hadn't put the plug hole in...

One plumber, 2 hours and around £100 later we had a new pipe fitted and anything left of the banana tree was swiftly put in the bin!

I've never had a 'Grow Your Own Tree' kit since and it's probably best I never do! 🙈 😂

Oh my 🙈

Thanks for sharing! :original:

• Like 1

Random banana facts:

> Queensland Australia, is referred to as Banana Land and people from there are sometimes known as "banana benders"! :facepalm:    The border of Queensland is called the "banana curtain" and Brisbane is "banana city"!

> A banana is not a true fruit. It is in fact a berry! That grows from a herbaceous plant.

> Each banana plant only grows one bunch of bananas at a time! It might look like lots of bunches but in fact it's just one really big one!

> Due to the high levels of potassium in bananas they are slightly radioactive! But it's not enough to harm you unless you're eating over a 100 a day!

🍌 🍌 🍌 🍌 

• Like 1

Hello everyone! I haven’t been lurking around as often as I’d like because I have been quite busy…but I’m back (briefly) to share this photo I took while on a trip with my mother:

67A8857D-7D6D-452F-9C20-E65CE5C86B16.thumb.jpeg.8e2b579980adda8517ff2aa02faf3a66.jpeg
a glorious Mika train! Unfortunately, it doesn’t mean our Mika. That didn’t stop me from getting a shock when I first saw it, though! :lmfao:

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Never realised how noisy it could be after a power cut. EVERY single house alarm in the area... :lmfao:🙉  

Edit: just happened again. Hope it's not like this all night!

Edited by Hero

45 minutes ago, Hero said:

Never realised how noisy it could be after a power cut. EVERY single house alarm in the area... :lmfao:🙉  

Edit: just happened again. Hope it's not like this all night!

Had a thunderstorm this afternoon but luckily no power outage. When the power does go I always feel bad because I'm pretty sure my house alarm is the only one on the street that goes off 😅

Not sure if there's a more appropriate thread to post this, but I follow Studio Job on IG and they shared this story from jobsmeets and tagged Mika.

Wonder if they're working on something new for him, or maybe they're the ones behind Mika's new flower piano! 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Tried a cheesecake for the first time ever!

Just a small chocolate and honeycomb one bought from the supermarket. Verdict: very rich, too much salt in the caramel, probably wouldn't order one in a restaurant. Still ate the whole thing! :naughty:

8 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

Just a small chocolate and honeycomb one bought from the supermarket. Verdict: very rich, too much salt in the caramel, probably wouldn't order one in a restaurant. Still ate the whole thing! :naughty:

Best cheesecakes are plain ones topped with fruit like blackcurrants or mandarins, then you get a nice contrast between the tanginess of the fruit and the creaminess of the cheesecake.

All the chocolate/toffee ones are too sweet.

55 minutes ago, silver said:

Best cheesecakes are plain ones topped with fruit like blackcurrants or mandarins, then you get a nice contrast between the tanginess of the fruit and the creaminess of the cheesecake.

After trying one today I'd like to have a go at making my own so I might go for a fruit one.

56 minutes ago, silver said:

All the chocolate/toffee ones are too sweet.

I have the worst sweet tooth. My dentist hates me 😅

19 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

Nah, supermarket cheesecakes aren't the real deal. Get your hands on a proper NY style baked vanilla cheesecake. Ohhhhh... :drool:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

I have the worst sweet tooth. My dentist hates me 😅

Or loves me depending on how you view it, my sweet tooth is paying his wages after all! 😅

42 minutes ago, Hero said:

Nah, supermarket cheesecakes aren't the real deal. Get your hands on a proper NY style baked vanilla cheesecake. Ohhhhh... :drool:

I think the one I tried was a 'set in the fridge' kind and not baked. I'll have to try a NY one then!

11 hours ago, Hero said:

I don't like baked cheesecakes at all :no:  But the US has come up with some pretty wonderful desserts - Key Lime Pie and Mississippi Mud Pie, for example

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

To everyone else here in the UK, Happy Early Winter!!! 🥳 🎊 

sarcasm-sarcasm-sign.gif.76e51e6b7c6ec20b24491629dbbd244e.gif

🙃🙃🙃

Actually we've had a lovely sunny afternoon l_sunny.gif.902659fef916499ffd789855dfb9640f.gif

6 minutes ago, silver said:

Actually we've had a lovely sunny afternoon l_sunny.gif.902659fef916499ffd789855dfb9640f.gif

Where I am, I'm pretty sure that big bright ball in the sky is nothing but a lie! 

I  know it's there, I can see it. It even dared to show its face this afternoon. But can I feel anything from it? NO! :sneaky2:

18 minutes ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

Where I am, I'm pretty sure that big bright ball in the sky is nothing but a lie! 

I  know it's there, I can see it. It even dared to show its face this afternoon. But can I feel anything from it? NO! :sneaky2:

Huh, I felt it briefly but didn't see it. Then stopped feeling it. Then got rained on. Fed up of having soggy feet in July! 

• Sad 1

Since people (@Hero, @dcdeb, @TinyLove_CJ and @krysady) were discussing the Pachelbel Canon in the birthday thread, it reminded me that I've always wanted to ask if Mika ever said if the violin section in Happy Ending was inspired by it?

Maybe it's just me but I think they sound very similar.

(Also I didn't know where to ask this since I only found one happy ending thread under music and artwork that was closed and archived)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I had a great time here!

(but it was actually last Sunday not today)

20230813_131054.thumb.jpg.09c6ada6833db77148ae0db004fcff17.jpg

For anyone outside the UK, Emmerdale is a popular TV soap and you can actually go and visit the set!

I originally had the tour booked for my Mum's birthday in July but it got rescheduled due to heavy rain. But last Sunday's weather was absolutely perfect and we both enjoyed it! (Mum's favourite soap).

Well worth a visit if you're an Emmerdale fan :)

• Like 1

So, my workplace (a university) is in the middle of a service redesign and restructure project for its professional services staff (eg all the admins etc - hello! 👋) The name of the project is the Academic and Student Services Change programme. Otherwise known as the ASS Change programme. 🤦🏼‍♀️ Of all the things they could have called it. We now have several emails a day titled ASS Change, giving updates on the ASS status... 

• Haha 7