Say Something Random pt. 29 ~ Because why not

No @QueenBigFat unfortunately I can't, that's why I'm looking for the interview.

The only one I found was this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJGJ-lBg7og

which I had also watched before where he says that one of his favorite authors is George Saunders. So the common thread I'm seeing is that he likes novels about society, books that can help you make sense of the world as he puts it himself.

I've read tenth of december and I wasn't surprised it's something Mika would be into, it's so weird.

2 hours ago, CharlotteL said:

I’ve read tenth of december and I wasn't surprised it's something Mika would be into, it's so weird

Haha. Not to mention that he has the time to read any book let alone one as long as Atlas. Jeese. That man is, as was recently observed by a very wise individual, superman!!!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CharlotteL said:

No @QueenBigFat unfortunately I can't, that's why I'm looking for the interview.

The only one I found was this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJGJ-lBg7og

which I had also watched before where he says that one of his favorite authors is George Saunders. So the common thread I'm seeing is that he likes novels about society, books that can help you make sense of the world as he puts it himself.

I've read tenth of december and I wasn't surprised it's something Mika would be into, it's so weird.

Hmm. Was the interview in English, @CharlotteL? I'm trying to remember when else he has spoken about favorite books or authors... If it was a French interview I wouldn't know it, but English or Italian I should. This one you've cited is about the only one I can remember that was fairly recent. Need more clues!

5 hours ago, CharlotteL said:

I watched an interview with Mika months ago where he talked about books that he liked. I had put some of those recommendations on my reading list and today I went to the library to look for "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand. The online system showed me they didn't have it in English but in German. I asked for help and the librarian went and got it for me from some storage place that was in a different building. When she returned (quite some time later) she was carrying the thickest book I have ever seen (and I've read Les Mis). It's 1300 pages long!!

I have no idea if I'll be able to tackle that but because she had gone through all that trouble I couldn't not borrow it so we'll see :D

When I got home I looked for the video where Mika recommended it but I can't find it. Does anyone know what I'm talking about??

In the same video he recommended Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood and A Moveable Feast by Hemingway.

I am seriously starting to doubt myself and wondering if it was just a fever dream.

I remember the title "Atlas Shrugged", and I'm sure I remember it from some Mika interview. No idea which one, but at least I can confirm that this interview exists and you haven't dreamt it, lol! :lol: I remember he talked about Hemingway a bit in 2015/2016, and also he recommended some books at the beginning of the pandemic, but I think those were different ones. Was it maybe the same interview where he recommended Life of Pi? (tho I'm not 100% sure anymore whether that was about the book or the movie)

Maybe if you don't find it here, you can ask on the Looking For Something thread, that's where our experts for Mika interviews sit. :biggrin2:

I'm just as frustrated @dcdeb I need more details but my brain just won't give me any :D

Intuitively I'd say the interview was in Italian but I couldn't tell you for sure.

Thing is I added it to my goodreads list on 03.08.22. Soo I looked into my browser activity from that day (terrifying how much detailed data google has about me btw) and I did indeed google those books and afterwards watched that interview I linked. So my guess is that it was a different interview which then lead youtube to recommend the other one to me but maybe it got deleted (cause otherwise it would show up in my browser history)?!

Funnily enough the only other Mika related thing I watched that day before googling those books is this Korean Q&A but I highly doubt a topic this serious came up in this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtARhlRO-BE

3 minutes ago, mellody said:

Maybe if you don't find it here, you can ask on the Looking For Something thread, that's where our experts for Mika interviews sit.

Yeah I'm gonna do that I think!

But nice to know you you can at least confirm it exists. And I don't think it's the same one because I don't remember him ever talking about Life of Pie...

OMG FOUND IT!!

It was during the Korean Q&A. Someone asked him what his favorite book was (at 15:45). I never should have doubted the sophistication of Mika fans :lmfao:

He doesn't give any explanation to why he likes them though, just names them. Except for Oryx and Crake which he says he learned to like over time and that "it's got so much humanity in it".

Mystery solved, thank you all for your support ;)

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, CharlotteL said:

OMG FOUND IT!!

It was during the Korean Q&A. Someone asked him what his favorite book was (at 15:45). I never should have doubted the sophistication of Mika fans :lmfao:

He doesn't give any explanation to why he likes them though, just names them. Except for Oryx and Crake which he says he learned to like over time and that "it's got so much humanity in it".

Mystery solved, thank you all for your support ;)

OK, I'm thrilled that you found it, but even more than that, I'm elated that this made me re-watch this video... because at 20:55 is when Mika says that he hates Erase and will never sing it. :lol3:  I had totally forgotten that he ever said this! And for the record, just in case you were wondering (I'm sure you weren't), my feelings about "that" song are well-documented here, since 2007, long before this 2016 interview!  ;)

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, dcdeb said:

because at 20:55 is when Mika says that he hates Erase and will never sing it. :lol3:  I had totally forgotten that he ever said this! And for the record, just in case you were wondering (I'm sure you weren't), my feelings about "that" song are well-documented here, since 2007, long before this 2016 interview!  ;)

Whenever you say this I spontaneously burst out in song: “Eraaaaaaaase my looooooove” 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Whenever you say this I spontaneously burst out in song: “Eraaaaaaaase my looooooove” 

I love that song :wub2: It's beautiful :wub2: We never had time to go to sleep we'd wake up tangled in the sheets on a bed that we called home is one of my fav lyrics :wub2: and such a perfect definition of love.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hahaha I'm glad I posted this in the random thread so we can just go on from books to talking about Erase without missing a beat :D

I mean I absolutely agree, I don't like that song at all but at the same time getting out my guitar and screaming it is oddly cathartic.

Also can we do another hotseat with @dcdeb?! Might also be a cool opportunity for younger / newer fans to get to know you and the MFC better if you did it on another social media platform.

Just an idea for some time in the future when the album hype calms down (if that's even something you'd be up for)...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CharlotteL said:

Hahaha I'm glad I posted this in the random thread so we can just go on from books to talking about Erase without missing a beat :D

I mean I absolutely agree, I don't like that song at all but at the same time getting out my guitar and screaming it is oddly cathartic.

Also can we do another hotseat with @dcdeb?! Might also be a cool opportunity for younger / newer fans to get to know you and the MFC better if you did it on another social media platform.

Just an idea for some time in the future when the album hype calms down (if that's even something you'd be up for)...

Sure, we probably could do it with more than just me, though! I have questions for some of you!  :mikadas:

6 hours ago, Hero said:

Some bold questions there. :lol3: I wonder if the answers have changed? :biggrin2:

Hmm, I read through them, and some have definitely changed! But not too many! I must be in a rut.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, dcdeb said:

Sure, we probably could do it with more than just me, though! I have questions for some of you!  :mikadas:

Hmm, I read through them, and some have definitely changed! But not too many! I must be in a rut.

I should not skim what I read when I am not awake yet.

In the original hotseat, babspanky asked dcdeb if she should lend them a fiver.

I read, “can you lend me a liver?”

Boy, those MFCers are demanding!

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, QueenBigFat said:

I should not skim what I read when I am not awake yet.

In the original hotseat, babspanky asked dcdeb if she should lend them a fiver.

I read, “can you lend me a liver?”

Boy, those MFCers are demanding!

:floor: :lmfao: :lmao:

• Haha 1

On 11/10/2023 at 6:19 PM, QueenBigFat said:

You understand, don't you, that this is not about Venus flytraps for me, yes? It is about the extreme coincidences or psychic experiences that my wife and I experience all the time. This was just the most recent, and one of the most over the top, ones. In real time., 

So I know pple did not have the same excitement I did over all the coincidences I recently experienced wrt the song Suddenly Seymour, both with this site and in my actual life. So maybe you won't have any reaction to this post, but….OMGOMGOMG. 

See the post FROM mikasister on the Mika's puppy thread, a video, posted 6 hours ago. Watch to the end.

Edited by QueenBigFat
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

@QueenBigFat I noticed that too! :biggrin2:

More proof I think that Mika reads our comments from time to time :teehee:

All we need now is part 2 to the video with the brussel sprouts shouting "Feed me Mika!" 

Hahahaha that would be hilarious!!!!

But I think it would actually be more exciting if he had NOT read the posts. Ya know?

• Like 1

Got my 25 year "long service award" at work today:

- a very formulaic certificate signed by the VC 

- a £100 high street gift card

- a paperweight (not personalised, just shows the company logo)

Honestly, they could have saved the faff and just given us a bonus!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

New entry in the stupid and infuriating diary...

the local bus company sees no problem in having 2 different routes serviced by the same number bus. It's not even 8a or 8b. Just the number 8 bus. Get the wrong one, you end up on the opposite side of town to where you intended. So helpful! 

36 minutes ago, Hero said:

New entry in the stupid and infuriating diary...

the local bus company sees no problem in having 2 different routes serviced by the same number bus. It's not even 8a or 8b. Just the number 8 bus. Get the wrong one, you end up on the opposite side of town to where you intended. So helpful! 

Mods, can we have an emoji for “that’s infuriating“??!?!?

• Haha 1