Mika in Italian press - 2023

Kumazzz

Beautiful interview, It was so nice hearing him again in Italy. I love the fact that he can Say very intense and Deep concepts and at the same tame he can be ironic. I also was Surprised by his italian, he has not been in Italy for a while in the last year but his italian Is still so good and also his choice of the terms his very elegant, when he talks about the poem about the old man he expressses It in italian in a very elegant way, i think neither an italian Person would Have expresssed It so well 😄 in a few minutes he expresssed very significant concepts: the importance of not being too much perfect but letting people know our cracks, the fact that being contaminated by different cultures helps us to find the world more tolerant, the fact that aging helps us to be free and Crazy in a positive sense.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, krysady said:

Mika @ Passa dal BSMT:

Passa dal BSMT

Spotify

ab6765630000ba8a600c1af576f1d042e155878b.thumb.jpg.105ab9f91118271ab23faee89a1fb451.jpg

INSTAGRAM

gianlucagazzoli

https://www.instagram.com/p/CuEhSO7o0Fr/

"SEI UN PO' TROPPO OMOSESSUALE" 😳

@mikainstagram è passato dal BSMT. Uno tra gli artisti internazionali più travolgenti. Impossibile non vedere il talento di Mika ma sopratutto impossibile non immergersi nel suo mondo fatto di musica, parole, colori, immagini e molto altro. Ascoltare Mika raccontare e raccontarsi, è una lezione di vita continua. È scoprire una storia che attraversa il mondo, con curiosità, profondità e sensibilità. Sono grato per questo incontro e per alcune confidenze che spero possano aiutare chi si trova in situazioni simili o ispirare nuovi percorsi artistici e non solo. Essere unici è un valore meraviglioso e ognuno di noi può creare mondi straordinari. Grazie Mika per ricordarcelo.

NON PERDERTI L'EPISODIO COMPLETO SU YT E SPOTIFY 🎙 🚨 #PassadalBSMT @bsmt_basement

https://www.instagram.com/p/CuC1MCqI6NI/

Snapinsta.app_356253273_810512917259025_1381675582699298450_n_1080.thumb.jpg.75c3fb196e4ca572d16135a0c0d82935.jpg

Snapinsta.app_356354981_1425205711668312_216673677357005138_n_1080.thumb.jpg.f8a3b18a863f41b0c4dc3402db8d472d.jpg

Snapinsta.app_356239273_649417300421620_126934844361500248_n_1080.thumb.jpg.297f1d2e04ef8d9b263864e3d6f43d1f.jpg

Snapinsta.app_356230517_1209212006491753_558752988576764886_n_1080.thumb.jpg.6ae23977ebb962c3d539e20ac61719eb.jpg

Edited by Kumazzz
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, krysady said:

Mika @ Passa dal BSMT

Finally watched it, such an interesting interview! It feels like Mika really enjoyed to seat there and talk about everything he have been asked, and so much more! Clearly he felt very comfortable and I liked that Gianluca barely talked and gave him all the time to tell his stories with a raw honesty :wub2:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, krysady said:

Mika @ Passa dal BSMT:

OMG! I can listen this man 24/7 !!!! You can laugh and cry within 48 minutes.

For the first time I heard this story about mumps disease - when he was so happy having kissed the whole team in the record company while leaving after being refused for signing. I couldn't stop laughing :lmao:

And then Beauregard treated more as a little brother than a nephew, and this story at the beginning when he was talking about Beauregard's problems at school because he has no talent to play football. I was so surprised Mika started the interview with this topic! Maybe it was a very recent story? Even his face changed at that moment...

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

For the first time I heard this story about mumps disease - when he was so happy having kissed the whole team in the record company while leaving after being refused for signing. I couldn't stop laughing :lmao:

And then Beauregard treated more as a little brother than a nephew, and this story at the beginning when he was talking about Beauregard's problems at school because he has no talent to play football. I was so surprised Mika started the interview with this topic! Maybe it was a very recent story? Even his face changed at that moment...

And he said than there will be release of the French album, then the English one and then... a tour in big venues !!!!!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

Maybe it was a very recent story?

The interview was recorded on 17 May, so the story it's before that date :wink2:

I can listen this man 24/7 !!!! You can laugh and cry within 48 minutes

Exactly!

I laughed too when I heard the mumps story!  However,  I wouldn't have spoken so publicly about my nephew's problems at school and poor football skills (at least Mika underlined Beauregard's intelligence).

Hope Mika writes a book about his experiences one day. :original:

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

Ja dat weet ik. Maar het kan nog steeds een recent verhaal zijn - van dit schooljaar.

I think it's good that bullying is noticed at school. Unfortunately, it still happens too often. In every country. Children are terribly damaged by it. Fortunately, Beauregard has many other talents, just like Mika! He gets lots of love and is blessed with such a warm family!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

I heard him speak in Italian and I really don’t understand anything. But I’m grateful for the Italian speakers to give us a rough translation for what he has said. I really appreciate hearing his thoughts. Thank you! Grazie mille!! 

I think I got most of it, but it was LONG! Kind of hard to summarize, I'm sure I'll forget things.

Hope some ambitious native speaker can help us out!

46 minutes ago, Trollenfan47 said:

I think it's good that bullying is noticed at school. Unfortunately, it still happens too often. In every country. Children are terribly damaged by it. Fortunately, Beauregard has many other talents, just like Mika! He gets lots of love and is blessed with such a warm family!

I think it was not about bullying but just boys didn't choose Beauregard to their team because he is a bad player even though is a big fan of football.

But as Mika said his nephew is very intelligent and love things like playing chess for example 😃

Edited by Anna Ko Kolkowska
  • Thanks 1

I think it was not about bullying but just boys didn't choose Beauregard to their team because he is a bad player even though is a big fan of football.

But as Mika said his nephew is very intelligent and love things like playing chess for example 😃

Sounds much like my son. :lol: I don't know if he's a good player, but he doesn't like football at all, so he doesn't have much in common with most of the boys in his class. He loves and collects carnivorous plants and likes playing chess (if he can convince one of his classmates to play with him, he always wins :naughty:). But still he's one of the popular kids in his class and often gets invited to birthdays, because he's intelligent and just goes his own way.

I'll watch the interview now, but hope the subtitling team will be working on it, so I can understand the details. :puppy_eyes:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mellody said:

I'll watch the interview now, but hope the subtitling team will be working on it, so I can understand the details. :puppy_eyes:

You can use the subtitles on YT :thumb_yello:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mellody said:

Sounds much like my son. :lol: I don't know if he's a good player, but he doesn't like football at all, so he doesn't have much in common with most of the boys in his class. He loves and collects carnivorous plants and likes playing chess (if he can convince one of his classmates to play with him, he always wins :naughty:). But still he's one of the popular kids in his class and often gets invited to birthdays, because he's intelligent and just goes his own way.

Hope this subtitles in German help you.

:germany:srt file IL BELLO DI ESSERE UNICI! MIKA passa dal BSMT!.srt

• Like 1

Only finished watching now, as RL got in the way... the auto translated subtitles weren't there yet when I looked earlier today, but got them now, thank you!

I love what he says about Lego, agree with him, I also loved building my little Lego worlds as a kid. First it was Barbie dolls for me, and then Lego. I kept all of it and gave it to my son 2 or 3 years ago. He isn't really interested. 😅 So well, I can relate to what Mika says, lol! On the other hand, what I loved most about Lego was to get creative and build what I wanted, instead of using the instructions to build what was on the package. My son actually once got a Lego Technics car that he built, because he was interested in seeing how it works, but he didn't get very far in building other things from the normal Lego bricks. He does use his sister's Lego Duplo sometimes though. Maybe I should encourage him to use his Lego more creatively, instead of trying to build the things from the instructions. He might enjoy that more. And maybe it's similar for Beauregard, and a random collection of Lego bricks from ebay might have suited him more than a Lego piano from which you can only build a Lego piano. :dunno_grin:

But also, it's interesting that Mika felt offended because Beauregard hasn't used the Lego. It's the same vibe I got when in the Pif documentary he made Pif eat the bottom part of the salad because he's convinced that's the best part, and he'd have been super offended if Pif had said no. I mean, just because Mika loves something doesn't mean everyone else has to love it too? He's generally a very tolerant man, so that can't be the reason - maybe he feels as if people don't like him if they disagree with him about something?

I also got the story about Beauregard and football now. Well, that's a shame if he loves it but isn't good at it. I'm sure he can get better though if it's important to him. Without talent, he'll never be as good as someone who has talent, but if he loves it so much and starts crying when Mika tells him he's not good at it, then maybe Mika's next gift to his nephew could be a voucher for 20 lessons with a personal football trainer, so he can get better. :dunno_grin: Of course if Beauregard only wants it because all his friends / classmates like it, so he can feel more connected to them, that's a different story.

Love what Mika says about energy, that it's sort of a collective energy and we exchange it with each other. I think even in the moments when he feels it when he's alone, writing songs, it comes from this collective energy, because you might write about experiences with other people or there might be the option that other people will get to hear that song eventually.

And he explains what he needs from his coworkers, that they give him this energy to say "let's do this!" without talking about the (possible) problems. He hinted at that in the other Italian interview, when he talked about imagination vs reality, but it gets clearer here. So while I agree with his idea of the shared energy, I think sometimes it might need a little more internal energy from him to defend his opinions towards others, to either convince them (in the case of his stage props) or to accept the presence of different opinions (in the case of the salad or the Lego), without judging one of them as better and the other one as worse.

And the next thing he says, about how his Mum was worried about his dream world, maybe it has to do with that. That he's worried that he can't make his dreams a reality and has this duality in his mind that if he can't make them come true he'd be a failure.

So cool to hear that he programmed websites himself in HTML! I should know by now that he is a very talented man in every sense, but he keeps surprising me. :wub2:

That Mumps story. :lmao:

And finally someone asked him about that necklace, lol! A reproduction of some piece of art that he bought in a museum shop in Mexico. That still doesn't tell me what it is - from recent photos I was thinking a torch, maybe. Anyway, I agree with him that museum shops can be really interesting.

Haha, and that he says, everything in his art has a story and a meaning, even if he never explains it... ah yes - first of all, that's so true about him not explaining it :mf_rosetinted: and secondly it's what I'm gonna quote now when someone says "but maybe those lyrics don't really mean anything in particular". :naughty:

• Like 2

PiùMe Magazine

Luglio 2023

MIKA

Sei date estive, dall’8 luglio fino al 23 luglio, l’attesa è stata lunga, ma Mika può tornare finalmente a riprendersi il suo pubblico.

Sei date estive, dall’8 luglio a Cattolica fino al 23 luglio al No Borders Music Festival di Tarvisio, l’attesa è stata lunga, ma Mika può tornare finalmente a riprendersi il suo pubblico.

ON STAGE di CLOE D. BETTI

IL GRANDE RITORNO DI MIKA

Sei date estive, dall’8 luglio a Cattolica fino al 23 luglio al No Borders Music Festival di Tarvisio, l’attesa è stata lunga, ma Mika può tornare finalmente a riprendersi il suo pubblico. Il suo ultimo concerto era stato all’Arena di Verona nel settembre scorso, quasi un anno di astinenza, dopo altri due a causa del Covid, un periodo difficilissimo, in cui l’artista di origini libanesi ha perso la mamma, un lutto molto difficile da elaborare.

«E’ stato un periodo turbolento per me, perché pur facendo show in tv, scrivere musica era diventato piuttosto difficile. L’album che avevo composto in precedenza era un omaggio a mia madre, che poi è morta durante la pandemia: è stata dura ritrovare un perché».

Ma il rapporto con il suo pubblico è sempre continuato, il suo tour mondiale, ripreso nel 2022 dal Nord America con due date al Coachella Festival, è proseguito per l’Europa in un giro estivo concluso con lo show all’Arena di Verona. E in attesa di tornare in tour in Asia, Mika ha scelto di esibirsi nelle arene estive italiane, per stabilire un rapporto più diretto con chi sceglierà di andarlo vedere sotto le stelle.

«E’ un tour dove la musica occupa una posizione centrale, con dei momenti di show artigianali, un po’ diversi da quelli che si vedono di solito dal vivo – ha raccontato Mika - Qualcosa di fatto a mano, con il pianoforte che si trasforma, non filosoficamente, ma realmente».

Il suo futuro ha già una direzione chiara, presto usciranno due album uno in francese e l’altro in inglese, e nel mezzo ha trovato anche il tempo per un’ennesima sfida, comporre la sua prima colonna sonora per il film francese “Zodi e Tèhu, fratelli del deserto”, una storia di amicizia tra un ragazzino nomade di 12 anni e un cucciolo di dromedario, in fuga nel deserto da un bracconiere.

«Quando mi è arrivato questo progetto un po’ surreale, dal regista Eric Barbier, di raccontare in musica una storia di un cammello, mi sono subito detto che era davvero arrivata l’occasione che avevo sempre sognato: fare la musica di un film e con tutta l’intensità del Medio Oriente, dove poter utilizzare tutta la mia passione per gli strumenti orientali e tribali e creare qualcosa di originale – ha ammesso Mika- Tutto è iniziato a San Francisco durante i giorni di riposo tra il Coachella e i concerti al Fillmore, poi ho proseguito a Firenze e a Parigi, soffermandomi sull’enorme lavoro di composizione di musica sinfonica. E’ stato un progetto molto ambizioso, durato due anni, con 130 musicisti provenienti da tutto il mondo abbinando strumenti sinfonici, elementi percussivi, flauti e canti orientali».

Una volta il cinema aveva anche il ruolo di raccontare la società e i suoi cambiamenti, oggi sembra aver abdicato a favore della tv e dei social.

«Non credo sia cosi – ha replicato Mika - Il potere poetico, astratto e profondo che può avere un film rimane molto più forte rispetto alle short stories di Instagram o a quelle di una serie tv. Un film di due ore può raccontare aspetti molto più sottili anche in un solo gesto, l’impatto emotivo sullo spettatore è completamente diverso. Prendiamo un film celebre come “Psycho” di Alfred Hitckock , è come un balletto, il suo impatto emotivo rimane scritto nella tua anima per anni, forse per tutta la tua vita».

Non aveva mai scritto musica per il cinema Mika, tra i cantautori pop più originali di questa generazione, capace di uscire dallo stretto seminato musicale per entrare nella giuria di due talent, “X Factor”, dove è rimasto giudice per cinque anni, e “The Voice” nella cui versione francese ha “militato” per sei anni. Si è concesso anche il piacere di un salto in quel mondo colorato e variegato dell’Eurovision Song Contest, condotto lo scorso anno a Torino insieme a Laura Pausini e Alessandro Cattelan, lasciando dietro le quinte qualsiasi tipo di snobismo, pur non condividendo alcuni generi musicali in voga negli ultimi anni.

«Ci sono cose buone e altre che sono terribili anche se funzionano – ha concluso - Non è snobismo, ma è questa ruota che gira troppo velocemente. Manca l’idea del pop strano, alternativo, di nicchia, anche se esiste».

LIVE 2023 – DATE ITALIANE

8 LUGLIO – ARENA DELLA REGGINA (CATTOLICA, IT)

10 LUGLIO – UMBRIA JAZZ FESTIVAL (PERUGIA, IT)

12 LUGLIO – MAROSTICA SUMMER FESTIVAL (MAROSTICA, IT)

15 LUGLIO – SONIC PARK MATERA (MATERA, IT)

16 LUGLIO – ARENA LA CIVITELLA (CHIETI, IT)

23 LUGLIO – NO BORDERS MUSIC FESTIVAL (TARVISIO, IT)

:uk: Google translator

MIKA

Six summer dates, from July 8th to July 23rd, the wait has been long, but Mika can finally return to recover his audience.

Six summer dates, from July 8 in Cattolica to July 23 at the No Borders Music Festival in Tarvisio, the wait was long, but Mika can finally return to recover his audience.

ON STAGE by CLOE D. BETTI

THE BIG RETURN OF MIKA

Six summer dates, from July 8 in Cattolica to July 23 at the No Borders Music Festival in Tarvisio, the wait was long, but Mika can finally return to recover his audience. His last concert was at the Arena di Verona last September, almost a year of abstinence, after another two due to Covid, a very difficult period, in which the artist of Lebanese origins lost his mother, a very difficult mourning to process.

«It was a turbulent time for me, because despite doing TV shows, writing music had become quite difficult. The album that I had previously composed was a tribute to my mother, who later died during the pandemic: it was hard to find a reason».

But the relationship with his audience has always continued, his world tour, resumed in 2022 from North America with two dates at the Coachella Festival, continued through Europe in a summer tour concluded with the show at the Verona Arena. And while waiting to go back on tour in Asia, Mika has chosen to perform in the Italian summer arenas, to establish a more direct relationship with those who choose to go and see him under the stars.

«It is a tour where music occupies a central position, with moments of artisanal shows, a little different from those usually seen live - said Mika - Something handmade, with the piano that transforms , not philosophically, but really".

His future already has a clear direction, two albums will soon be released, one in French and the other in English, and in between he has also found time for yet another challenge, composing his first soundtrack for the French film "Zodi and Tèhu, brothers of the desert”, a story of friendship between a 12-year-old nomad boy and a dromedary puppy, fleeing from a poacher in the desert.

«When this somewhat surreal project came to me, from director Eric Barbier, to tell a story about a camel in music, I immediately told myself that the opportunity I had always dreamed of had really arrived: to make music for a film and with all the intensity of the Middle East, where I can use all my passion for oriental and tribal instruments and create something original - Mika admitted - It all started in San Francisco during the days off between Coachella and the concerts at the Fillmore , then I continued in Florence and Paris, focusing on the enormous work of composing symphonic music. It was a very ambitious project, which lasted two years, with 130 musicians from all over the world combining symphonic instruments, percussive elements, flutes and oriental songs».

Once upon a time cinema also had the role of narrating society and its changes, today it seems to have abdicated in favor of TV and social networks.

«I don't think so - replied Mika - The poetic, abstract and profound power that a film can have remains much stronger than the short stories on Instagram or those of a TV series. A two-hour film can tell much more subtle aspects even in a single gesture, the emotional impact on the viewer is completely different. Let's take a famous film like "Psycho" by Alfred Hitckock, it's like a ballet, its emotional impact remains written in your soul for years, maybe for your whole life».

Mika had never written music for the cinema, one of the most original pop singer-songwriters of this generation, capable of leaving the narrow musical sow to enter the jury of two talents, "X Factor", where he remained a judge for five years, and " The Voice” in the French version of which he “played” for six years. He also allowed himself the pleasure of jumping into that colorful and variegated world of the Eurovision Song Contest, conducted last year in Turin together with Laura Pausini and Alessandro Cattelan, leaving behind the scenes any kind of snobbery, while not sharing some musical genres popular in recent years.

“There are good things and others that are terrible even if they work – he concluded – It's not snobbery, but it's this wheel that turns too fast. The idea of strange, alternative, niche pop is missing, even if it exists».

Page 1

PiMeMagazineLuglio2023-2.thumb.jpg.f40ad5ef22fad2972f3d018684f232a0.jpg

Page 12

PiMeMagazineLuglio2023.thumb.jpg.97441b88dab5f85193f9c26828843088.jpg

Page 80

PiMeMagazineLuglio2023-1.thumb.jpg.06e9034ddb365721ed4b6d7cc461de9a.jpg

Page 82

PiMeMagazineLuglio2023-3.thumb.jpg.8ed5901a998844375852e3588e23e7ee.jpg

Page 83

PiMeMagazineLuglio2023-1_page-0005.thumb.jpg.c0eeb03aa70ffec324ec28d878cea134.jpg

• Like 2

I finally got round to watching the BSMT interview.

It's an interesting coincidence that he mentions again what I said I admired about him (in the livestream on friday).

If I understand correctly when asked if he thinks that today he'd have it easier as a 17 year old regarding sexuality he says that he doesn't know. And that it would be an insult to young people to try and answer that and speak as if he knew what it would be like to be a 17 year old today.

And that is exactly what I was talking about. A wonderful example of his respect and sensibility regarding this topic ❤️

• Like 4

Yesterday, July 5, Vanity Fair Italy (online) reprinted a 2019 interview with Mika. They're republishing "alcuni pezzi indimenticabili" (some unforgettable pieces) every day from their archive as part of the magazine's celebration of their 20th anniversary. 

https://www.vanityfair.it/article/mika-intervista

Mika Fan Club posted the original article and a translation four years ago.

Edited by SusanT
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

La Repubblica Trovaroma

06 Luglio 2023

Page 45

PDF file ( 1 page / 144 kb )  La Repubblica Trovaroma 06 Luglio 2023-45.pdf

IL FESTIVAL

GITA A PERUGIA PER “UMBRIA JAZZ”

LA CINQUANTESIMA EDIZIONE DELLA KERMESSE SCHIERA BOB DYLAN, STEWART COPELAND, BEN HARPER, MIKA, PAOLO CONTE BRAD MEHLDAU, BRANFORD MARSALIS, HERBIE HANCOCK

N ell’estate del 1973 alcuni manifesti sui muri umbri annunciavano un nuovo evento:

Umbria Jazz.

Da allora sono passati cinquant’anni e sono mutati tanti aspetti, ma l’essenza della kermesse è rimasta la stessa. «Il cinquantesimo anniversario è un punto di arrivo e nello stesso tempo di ripartenza. Celebrarlo non significa adagiarsi sugli allori della storia, ma prendersi sulle spalle la responsabilità del futuro di uno straordinario e unico patrimonio culturale da mantenere e tutelare», dichiara il presidente della Fondazione Gian Luca Laurenzi. La formula dell’edizione 2023, in programma dal 7 al 16 luglio nella città di Perugia, riunisce tre festival in uno. Il primo è quello dell’Arena Santa Giuliana dove vengono ospitati i grandi eventi che richiamano il pubblico più ampio, seguendo sempre il fil rouge dell’alta qualità secondo il volere del direttore artistico Carlo Pagnotta. Il secondo è riservato ai puristi del jazz nelle dimensioni raccolte del Teatro Morlacchi e della prestigiosa Galleria Nazionale dell’Umbria. Il terzo prende vita all’aperto, da piazza IV Novembre ai Giardini Carducci, senza dimenticare le performance itineranti della marching band Funk Off e i numerosi live nell’intimità dei club notturni. A inaugurare nientedimeno che Bob Dylan con il suo album “Rough and Rowdy Ways”, celebrato dalla critica mondiale come uno dei migliori pubblicati nell’ultimo periodo. Il Premio Nobel per la Letteratura propone un “phone free show”, invitando il pubblico a godere dello spettacolo senza l’interferenza di smartphone e simili. Altro talento attesissimo è Ben Harper, acclamato cantautore statunitense che sublima la contaminazione dei generi tra rock, blues, folk e reggae. E ancora “Police Deranged for Orchestra” (rilettura sinfonica dei successi dei Police firmata dal batterista Stewart Copeland ed eseguita dall’Umbria Jazz Orchestra insieme all’Orchestra da Camera di Perugia), la maestria del chitarrista Joe Bonamassa, il pop elegante e leggero di Mika e la canzone sofisticata di Paolo Conte.

Sul palco principale si alternano inoltre star indiscusse del jazz come Brad Mehldau, Branford Marsalis, Herbie Hancock e Stefano Bollani, la nominata ai Grammy Somi all’insegna dell’afro-jazz-soul, gli Snarky Puppy con la loro energia multiculturale e Rhiannon Giddens in duo con Francesco Turrisi per scoprire le radici delle melodie popolari americane. Celebri nomi italiani e internazionali completano il ricco cartellone della rassegna, da Kenny Barron a Danilo Peréz, dal mito del pianoforte Fred Hersch con Enrico Rava a Flavio Boltro con Stefano Di Battista, da Mauro Ottolini a Gianluca Petrella, dal quartetto di Fabrizio Bosso al progetto del trombettista Paolo Fresu, fino agli immancabili Danilo Rea, Rita Marcotulli ed Enrico Pieranunzi.

Da non perdere infine gli appuntamenti pensati per i giovanissimi nell’ambito del ciclo “UJ4Kids”, che vanta anche uno spazio dedicato alla memoria del recentemente scomparso Wayne Shorter, e la collettiva che ripercorre il passato della manifestazione attraverso gli scatti di diversi fotografi.

TRIP TO PERUGIA FOR “UMBRIA JAZZ”

THE 50TH EDITION OF THE EVENT ARRANGES BOB DYLAN, STEWART COPELAND, BEN HARPER, MIKA, PAOLO CONTE BRAD MEHLDAU, BRANFORD MARSALIS, HERBIE HANCOCK

In the summer of 1973 some posters on the Umbrian walls announced a new event:

Umbria Jazz.

Fifty years have passed since then and many aspects have changed, but the essence of the event has remained the same. «The fiftieth anniversary is a point of arrival and at the same time a starting point. Celebrating it does not mean resting on the laurels of history, but shouldering the responsibility for the future of an extraordinary and unique cultural heritage to be maintained and protected», declares the president of the Gian Luca Laurenzi Foundation. The formula of the 2023 edition, scheduled from 7 to 16 July in the city of Perugia, brings together three festivals in one. The first is that of the Santa Giuliana Arena where major events that attract the wider public are hosted, always following the fil rouge of high quality according to the will of the artistic director Carlo Pagnotta. The second is reserved for jazz purists in the intimate dimensions of the Morlacchi Theater and the prestigious National Gallery of Umbria. The third comes to life outdoors, from Piazza IV Novembre to the Giardini Carducci, without forgetting the itinerant performances of the Funk Off marching band and the numerous live performances in the intimacy of night clubs. To inaugurate none other than Bob Dylan with his album "Rough and Rowdy Ways", celebrated by world critics as one of the best released in the last period. The Nobel Prize for Literature proposes a "phone free show", inviting the public to enjoy the show without the interference of smartphones and the like. Another highly anticipated talent is Ben Harper, acclaimed American singer-songwriter who sublimates the contamination of genres between rock, blues, folk and reggae. And again "Police Deranged for Orchestra" (symphonic reinterpretation of the successes of the Police signed by drummer Stewart Copeland and performed by the Umbria Jazz Orchestra together with the Orchestra da Camera di Perugia), the mastery of guitarist Joe Bonamassa, the pop elegant and light by Mika and the sophisticated song by Paolo Conte.

Also on the main stage are undisputed jazz stars such as Brad Mehldau, Branford Marsalis, Herbie Hancock and Stefano Bollani, the Grammy nominated Somi in the name of Afro-jazz-soul, Snarky Puppy with their multicultural energy and Rhiannon Gid dens in duo with Francesco Tur risi to discover the roots of American popular melodies. Famous Italian and international names complete the rich line-up of the review, from Kenny Barron to Danilo Peréz, from the legend of the piano Fred Hersch with Enrico Rava to Flavio Boltro with Stefano Di Bat tista, from Mauro Ottolini to Gianluca Petrella, from quartet by Fabrizio Bosso to the project of the trumpeter Paolo Fresu, up to the inevitable Dani lo Rea, Rita Marcotulli and Enrico Pieranunzi.

Finally, don't miss the appointments designed for the very young as part of the "UJ4Kids" cycle, which also boasts a space dedicated to the memory of the recently deceased Wayne Shorter, and the group exhibition that retraces the past of the event through the shots of various photographers.

LaRepubblicaTrovaroma06Luglio2023-page45.thumb.jpg.885bb1afb6f761644d6a39b152b71a72.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1