Mika in French Press and Other Media - 2023

23 hours ago, SusanT said:

Mika changes expression when Crespo-Mara announces they are going to watch a clip; it makes me wonder if he was expecting it. A sensitive interviewer should ask for permission to show a video of a deceased loved one.

:yeah:

• Like 1

The interview for Radio Evasion (audio).

He sais about the tour:

A tour not only in France but in many other countries.

It supposed to be France and one date in Belgium. But we have as well Holland, Germany England, Ireland, Asia, North America...

Do you feel ready?

No! I never feel ready! But we are doing our best. 

Can you tell us something about the show?

I am looking for a concept sort of an opera pop, rock, electro. It's something quite intense with a lot of visuals, and scenography quite ...

Colouful?

It's intense. That's all I can tell you.

A lot of musicians?

Not too many. But there is a lot of musicians pre-recorded.  For the show I make a pre-production which implicates around 65 musicians. I can't put 65 musicians on the stage. So I do it in a different way. You will see them. But they will not be there. 

https://www.evasionfm.com/podcast-itw-evasion

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

He sais about the tour:

It supposed to be France and one date in Belgium. But we have as well Holland, Germany England, Ireland, Asia, North America...

Do you feel ready?

I am looking for a concept sort of an opera pop, rock, electro. It's something quite intense with a lot of visuals, and scenography quite ...

Colouful?

A lot of musicians?

Not too many. But there is a lot of musicians pre-recorded.  For the show I make a pre-production which implicates around 65 musicians. I can't put 65 musicians on the stage. So I do it in a different way. You will see them. But they will not be there. 

The 65 musicians ( at least in part) for Je sais que je t'aime?

44 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

He sais about the tour:

Do you feel ready?

Colouful?

A lot of musicians?

I did record online streaming.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lormare73 said:

I found this podcast in French. It is quite long and from the first minutes I have listened to it looks quite interesting. 

https://smartlink.ausha.co/pause-le-podcast-d-alexandre-mars/nouvel-episode-du-20-12-22-23?fbclid=PAAabgex32UhNjaQxXfPMW_nguHQBKIPWBKWEgXDZCivmsulfo9xeCEP5lboM

Thanks. One more to add to my list of things to catch up on. 😅 Over an hour, wow! :shocked: :lustslow:

I just saw this on IG, think it's from the same podcast - not sure if an excerpt or an extra, but it's a video: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C1HNCClL-Ph/?igsh=ZDE1MWVjZGVmZQ==

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lormare73 said:

I found this podcast in French. It is quite long and from the first minutes I have listened to it looks quite interesting. 

https://smartlink.ausha.co/pause-le-podcast-d-alexandre-mars/nouvel-episode-du-20-12-22-23?fbclid=PAAabgex32UhNjaQxXfPMW_nguHQBKIPWBKWEgXDZCivmsulfo9xeCEP5lboM

I have finished listening to this podcast.

Very touching. I felt like sitting at the same table with Mika and Alexandre.

But the most I was touched by the part with Zuleika.... Her voice reminded me the voice of Mika's mum :crybaby: 

And she said that she loved a lot the new album (like five others) , it is brightening her days and she is listening to again and again. This album has its special place in her heart.

And that there are moments which she recognizes (I think she means from their lives) and other moments she is not able to find references to. She finds that Mika shows things in such a beautiful and powerful way that she finds it incredible. That he changes the point of view like putting on a new pair of glasses for the first time. She is learning new things.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

19 hours ago, lormare73 said:

Thank you. But there's so much I didn't understand. Maybe I'll give it another go during the holidays at . . . a . . . slower . . . speed. :original:

Le Monde

du Dimanche 24 et Mardi 26 Décembre 2023

S É L E C T I O N  A L B U M S

MIKA

Que ta tête fleurisse toujours

Révélé en 2007 avec les succès pop-rock de Grace Kelly, et pop-disco de Relax (Take it Easy), le chanteur et auteur-compositeur américano-britannique Mika, avait déjà interprété quelques chansons en français, dont Elle me dit, tube de l’été 2011. Pour ce sixième album, Que ta tête fleurisse toujours, le français est de mise. Le disque évolue entre ambiances popélectro dansantes, dans Bougez, Apocalypse Calypso, C’est la vie ou Touche touche, et des romances et déclarations amoureuses aux arrangements plus pop, valorisant la mélodie, dont 30 Secondes, Moi, Andy et Paris, Je sais que je t’aime, souvent dans une approche acoustique, plus intime. L’ensemble se révèle plaisant, bien construit dans ses équilibres stylistiques, ses contrastes.

■ sylvain siclier

Mika Punch-Island Def Jam/Universal Music

:uk:Google translator

Revealed in 2007 with the pop-rock successes of Grace Kelly, and pop-disco successes of Relax (Take it Easy), the American-British singer and songwriter Mika had already performed a few songs in French, including Elle me dit , a hit of the summer of 2011. For this sixth album, Que ta tête flowere toujours, French is required. The disc evolves between danceable electro pop atmospheres, in Bougez, Apocalypse Calypso, C'est la vie or Touche touch, and romances and declarations of love with more pop arrangements, highlighting the melody, including 30 Seconds, Moi, Andy et Paris, I know I love you, often in an acoustic, more intimate approach. The whole thing turns out to be pleasant, well constructed in its stylistic balances and its contrasts.

lemonde_241223-18_page-0001-1.thumb.jpg.4a03aa00c3283cf95fcf139746322352.jpg

• Like 4

Podcast PAUSE by Alexandre Mars

INSTAGRAM ( a short video )

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C1HNCClL-Ph/

AUDIO

https://smartlink.ausha.co/pause-le-podcast-d-alexandre-mars/nouvel-episode-du-20-12-22-23

Spotify

Mika, Chanteur

PAUSE - le podcast d’Alexandre Mars

En 2006, Mika a fait une percée phénoménale dans le monde de la pop. Depuis, il n’a plus jamais quitté nos oreilles. 

Libanais d’origine, le jeune garçon grandit entre la France et l’Angleterre avant de conquérir le monde entier avec sa pop acidulée grâce à son premier album, Life in Cartoon Motion, devenu culte. Des multiples prix, des tournées à travers la planète et 5 albums plus tard, il est toujours l’un des chanteurs préférés des Français. 

Qu’est-ce qui l’a poussé à écrire et à composer ? Comment faire pour durer dans une industrie musicale si compétitive ? Est-ce qu’il y a quelque chose de plus sombre qui se cache derrière ce sourire si lumineux ?  

Le temps d’une pause, il nous emmène avec lui dans les coulisses de son parcours, en revenant sur son processus de création, ses ambitions, ses inspirations et ses engagements

On 12/21/2023 at 9:10 PM, lormare73 said:

On 12/22/2023 at 12:15 AM, mellody said:

Thanks. One more to add to my list of things to catch up on. 😅 Over an hour, wow! :shocked: :lustslow:

I just saw this on IG, think it's from the same podcast - not sure if an excerpt or an extra, but it's a video: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C1HNCClL-Ph/?igsh=ZDE1MWVjZGVmZQ==

Google document

:uk:English

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qS-EdVwGI8N158bpybDETFAAtGgf6PF0HzUqd5pDDf4/edit

The podcast begins with a tired Mika. He believes that fatigue puts him in a state of mind that allows him to be more liberated and unburdened. He always finds his best ideas when he's in this state.

A part of him understands and loves French culture, feeling empathy towards the French. He has made peace with English culture, which hurt him for a long time. Despite buying a house there with the proceeds from his first albums, he didn't enjoy it. The house felt empty without the constant noise of his loved ones.

X Factor Italia was his first television contract. He hesitated a lot before accepting it. It was his partner, Andy, who pushed him and told him that if things went wrong, they could laugh about it in the coming years. He learned Italian in two months with a young woman who spoke only Italian. While Mika was on tour, she followed him everywhere, speaking to him only in Italian.

Harassment: Abusive teacher

His father repeats out loud what Paloma told him. Mika is immediately expelled from school. His parents recognize the trauma he experienced and the loss of value he feels every day. How do you continue living when you feel worthless? His mother helped him get back on track by surrounding him with friends who accompanied him to the park no matter the weather. He loved watching tourists. Even today, he enjoys going to parks to observe people.

Music:

His mother loved music and melody, sharing this passion with her son. From a young age, he tried to understand where the music from an instrument came from, to the point of breaking it. An anecdote about the violin where he would break the strings to see where the notes came from. For a year, he auditioned to work and improve. His mother made him cry to make him work even more, up to 4 hours a day, except on Sundays when they went to church. He didn't like church, so he would run away on the way. The next year, he had to go back to school because his house shared a courtyard with St. Philip's School. The children at the school were jealous of him playing with his rabbits (Coco and Pussy) instead of being in class with them. The principal gave him an entrance exam, which he failed completely, but he was accepted anyway. They still see each other today. Another teacher helped him overcome dyslexia by finding a method to assist him. Overnight, his grades improved. At 19, he spent only one day at LSE. He had a sort of panic attack where if he stayed one more second in that room, he could never make music. He begged the director of the Royal College of Music to let him audition again. He was accepted a few months later. Alongside his studies, he worked as a waiter to afford studio time and create his album demos. It was at this moment that his mother understood he wanted to live his dream. He was convinced his songs were good and didn't understand why record labels weren't responding. Even today, he receives negative feedback on his new musical ideas. He still encounters snobbery towards his music and projects. He fought for years to perform at the Philharmonie and prove that it was legitimate for a pop artist to have a symphonic performance. Now, he is an ambassador for that venue.

Beginnings in 2006:

Meeting with the Barclay record label. One of the producers invites him for tea in a bar and asks him to play the piano. Mika puts on a show, and the producer has him sign a contract accepting his conditions. His main condition was that if something went wrong in his career, the record label would respond and come to his aid. Even today, he calls him for advice. His first single "Relax" was released in November 2006, followed by "Grace Kelly" in early 2007. His record label wanted to release "Grace Kelly" first, but a radio station had stolen the song "Relax" from Mika's MySpace and played it in a loop.

Creation process of his first album:

His first album was never written to be a commercial success. He just wanted people to cry and dance at the same time.

Billy Brown: His sister's ex who was obsessed with her, but Mika was convinced he was gay. He found it both touching and sad.

Big Girl: The strong women in his family, especially his mother, who was constantly asked if she was pregnant.

Journalists constantly focused on his sexuality because he mentioned it in his songs. Mika took pleasure in deflecting questions and even asked them, "Do you really think you're tolerant when you write these kinds of articles?" In a world where we live for likes, statistics, and popularity, it's not up to people to decide your worth. Don't read or listen to the comments of people who pour hate on you because of your differences. It's hard to understand that it's just an illusion. Surround yourself with a community that resembles you.

Question from Marc-Olivier Fogiel about Mika's restlessness:

Mika's restlessness is the total opposite of his more composed sisters and brother. He is proud of his brother, who is becoming a renowned architect in Paris. Marc-Olivier Fogiel was the first person to interview him in France. He asked him difficult questions, and Mika burst into laughter. He has a very amusing friendship with him, often calling him to ask for his opinion on artistic projects. One of his dreams is to recreate the artistic troupe he grew up with, thanks to his mother and loved ones.

Intervention by Valérie Lemercier:

They have a lot in common. She thanks him for giving her a better taste in life.

Musical break:

Music he can listen to repeatedly without getting tired: "Nature Boy" by Nat King Cole

Cult song: "1941" by Harry Nilsson

The album he has listened to the most in his life: "Purple Rain" by Prince

The artist he admires the most: Bruce Springsteen

The artist he listens to when he's feeling down: Barbara

The song he would have loved to compose: "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" by Elton John

The artist he dreams of collaborating with: Björk

Artist who left an impression on him on stage: César Évora and a Lady Gaga showcase in Los Angeles

Parc des Princes:

He paid for everything himself for this concert when he had nothing. He was in a shabby dressing room, and while walking backstage at Parc des Princes, he wanted to enter a VIP area reserved for people invited by LVMH (Louis Vuitton Group) because there was a reception with food. He was denied access because he didn't have the right badge. His mother then went to buy Lebanese food for him to eat. For this concert, he went into debt by £1.5 million. Later, everything he did served to repay this debt. He still spends more than he is given to create something beautiful.

He hates when people ask him for free tickets to be on a "VIP" list because he always thinks of the other people who actually paid for their seats.

Question from his sister Zuleika:

Your new album brightens my days, and I listen to it non-stop even if you don't like that. It has a permanent place in my heart like the other 5 albums. You make things so much more beautiful and powerful in your lyrics. My question is, "Whose masterclass from which artist would you like to hear?"

Mika is touched: "You're not allowed to do that." He feels love and a certain modesty from his sister through this beautiful message.

Masterclass: Maria Callas

Latest album QTTFT:

CLV: An easy song to write because he needed it. A joyful and colorful drawing made by his mother, who knows that his brain will shut down and can't express itself otherwise.

He believes in life after death. He defines himself as a secular Christian. He believes in souls. He knows he won't see that version he knew of his mother again, but her soul hasn't disappeared and is still somewhere.

Question from Christian Louboutin:

Question for my beloved Mika, Mikahuète. “Is there something you regret doing and not doing?”

It's a difficult question, and I'll scold him right after. There are two things he regrets: being too hard on the people he loves and taking too long to not care about people's opinions. He regrets not always taking more pleasure and living in the moment. He doesn't know how to go on vacation and do nothing, just enjoy.

:italia:Italian

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bIVRiBw9FzgZeXqXaIcLtzO1uD4OWLtpV2_bAT7zoXk/edit

Il podcast inizia con un Mika stanco. Crede che la stanchezza lo metta in uno stato mentale che gli permette di essere più libero e disinibito. Trova sempre le sue migliori idee quando è in questo stato.

Una parte di lui capisce e ama la cultura francese, provando empatia verso i francesi. Ha fatto pace con la cultura inglese, che lo ha ferito per lungo tempo. Nonostante abbia comprato una casa lì con i proventi dei suoi primi album, non gli è piaciuta. La casa sembrava vuota senza il rumore costante dei suoi cari.

X Factor Italia è stato il suo primo contratto televisivo. Ha esitato molto prima di accettarlo. È stato il suo compagno, Andy, a spingerlo e a dirgli che se le cose andavano male, avrebbero potuto ridere di tutto nei prossimi anni. Ha imparato l'italiano in due mesi con una giovane donna che parlava solo italiano. Mentre Mika era in tour, lei lo seguiva ovunque, parlandogli solo in italiano.

Molestie: Insegnante abusiva

Su padre ripete ad alta voce quello che Paloma gli ha raccontato. Mika viene immediatamente espulso dalla scuola. I suoi genitori riconoscono il trauma che ha vissuto e la perdita di valore che sente ogni giorno. Come si fa a continuare a vivere quando ci si sente senza valore? Sua madre lo ha aiutato a risollevarsi circondandolo di amici che lo accompagnavano al parco, indipendentemente dal tempo. Adorava guardare i turisti. Ancora oggi gli piace andare nei parchi per osservare la gente.

Musica:

Sua madre amava la musica e la melodia, condividendo questa passione con suo figlio. Fin da piccolo cercava di capire da dove provenisse la musica di uno strumento, al punto di romperlo. Un aneddoto sul violino in cui rompeva le corde per vedere da dove provenissero le note. Per un anno si è sottoposto a audizioni per lavorare e migliorare. Sua madre lo faceva piangere per fargli lavorare ancora di più, fino a 4 ore al giorno, tranne la domenica quando andavano in chiesa. Non gli piaceva la messa, quindi scappava per strada. L'anno successivo è dovuto tornare a scuola perché la sua casa condivideva un cortile con la scuola St Philip's. I bambini della scuola erano gelosi di vederlo giocare con i suoi conigli (Coco e Pussy) invece di essere in classe con loro. Il direttore gli fece fare un esame di ingresso, che fallì completamente, ma fu comunque accettato. Si vedono ancora oggi. Un'altra insegnante lo ha aiutato a superare la dislessia trovando un metodo per assistere. Da un giorno all'altro, i suoi voti sono migliorati. A 19 anni ha trascorso solo un giorno alla LSE. Ha avuto una sorta di attacco di panico in cui se fosse rimasto un secondo in più in quella stanza, non avrebbe potuto fare mai più musica. Ha supplicato il direttore del Royal College of Music di fargli fare un'altra audizione. È stato accettato pochi mesi dopo. Accanto agli studi, lavorava come cameriere per potersi permettere il tempo in studio e creare le demo dei suoi album. È stato in quel momento che sua madre ha capito che voleva vivere il suo sogno. Era convinto che le sue canzoni fossero buone e non capiva perché le case discografiche non gli rispondevano. Ancora oggi riceve commenti negativi sulle sue nuove idee musicali. Incontra ancora questo genere di snobismo nei confronti della sua musica e dei progetti che fa. Ha lottato per anni per fare un concerto alla Philharmonie e dimostrare che era legittimo fare una performance sinfonica essendo un artista pop. Ora è ambasciatore di quella sala.

I primi passi nel 2006:

Incontro con la casa discografica Barclay. Uno dei produttori lo invita a bere un tè in un bar e gli chiede di suonare il pianoforte. Mika fa il suo show e il produttore lo fa firmare un contratto accettando le sue condizioni. La sua condizione principale era che se qualcosa fosse andato storto nella sua carriera, la casa discografica avrebbe risposto e sarebbe venuta ad aiutarlo. Ancora oggi gli telefona per avere consigli da parte sua. Il suo primo singolo "Relax" esce nel novembre 2006, seguito da "Grace Kelly" all'inizio del 2007. La sua casa discografica voleva pubblicare "Grace Kelly" per prima, ma una stazione radio aveva rubato la canzone "Relax" dal MySpace di Mika e la faceva girare in continuazione.

Processo di creazione del suo primo album:

Il suo primo album non è mai stato scritto per avere successo commerciale. Voleva solo che le persone piangessero e ballassero allo stesso tempo.

Billy Brown: L'ex della sua sorella che era ossessionato da lei, ma Mika era convinto che fosse gay. Lo trovava toccante e triste allo stesso tempo.

Big Girl: Le donne forti nella sua famiglia, in particolare sua madre, a cui veniva costantemente chiesto se fosse incinta.

I giornalisti si concentrano costantemente sulla sua sessualità perché la menziona nelle sue canzoni. Mika prendeva piacere nel deviare le domande e chiedeva loro persino: "Pensate davvero di essere tolleranti quando scrivete questo tipo di articoli?" In un mondo in cui si vive per i like, le statistiche e la popolarità, non spetta alle persone decidere il tuo valore. Non leggere o ascoltare i commenti di persone che riversano odio su di te a causa delle tue differenze. È difficile capire che è solo un'illusione. Circondati di una comunità che ti somiglia.

Domanda di Marc-Olivier Fogiel sulla inquietudine di Mika:

L'inquietudine di Mika è il totale opposto delle sue sorelle e del fratello più composti. È orgoglioso del suo fratello, che sta diventando un grande architetto rinomato a Parigi. Marc-Olivier Fogiel è la prima persona a fargli un'intervista in Francia. Gli faceva domande difficili e Mika scoppiava a ridere. Ha un'amicizia molto divertente con lui, lo chiama spesso per chiedergli il parere su progetti artistici. Uno dei suoi sogni è ricreare la troupe artistica con cui è cresciuto, grazie a sua madre e ai suoi cari.

Intervento di Valérie Lemercier:

Hanno molto in comune. Lo ringrazia per averle dato un miglior gusto alla vita.

Pausa musicale:

Musica che può ascoltare ininterrottamente senza stancarsi: "Nature Boy" di Nat King Cole

Canzone cult: "1941" di Harry Nilsson

L'album che ha ascoltato di più nella sua vita: "Purple Rain" di Prince

L'artista che ammira di più: Bruce Springsteen

L'artista che ascolta quando è giù di morale: Barbara

La canzone che avrebbe adorato comporre: "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" di Elton John

L'artista con cui sogna di collaborare: Björk

L'artista che lo ha colpito di più sul palco: César Évora e uno showcase di Lady Gaga a Los Angeles

Parc des Princes:

Ha pagato tutto di tasca propria per questo concerto quando non aveva niente. Era in una stanza da spogliatoio fatiscente e, camminando dietro le quinte al Parc des Princes, ha voluto entrare in un'area VIP riservata alle persone invitate da LVMH (Gruppo Louis Vuitton) perché c'era una reception con del cibo. Gli è stato negato l'accesso perché non aveva il badge giusto. Sua madre è andata a comprare cibo libanese per lui. Per questo concerto si è indebitato di 1,5 milioni di sterline. In seguito, tutto quello che ha fatto è servito a ripagare questo debito. Ancora oggi spende più di quanto gli venga dato per creare qualcosa di bello.

Odia quando le persone gli chiedono biglietti gratuiti per essere su una lista "VIP" perché pensa sempre alle altre persone che invece hanno pagato il loro posto.

Domanda della sorella Zuleika:

Il tuo nuovo album illumina le mie giornate, e lo ascolto senza sosta anche se a te non piace molto. Ha un posto permanente nel mio cuore come gli altri 5 album. Rendi le cose così molto più belle e potenti nei tuoi testi. La mia domanda è: "Quale masterclass di quale artista ti piacerebbe sentire?"

Mika è toccato: "Non hai il diritto di fare questo". Sente amore e una certa modestia da parte di sua sorella attraverso questo bel messaggio.

Masterclass: Maria Callas

Ultimo album QTTFT:

CLV: Una canzone facile da scrivere perché ne aveva bisogno. Disegno allegro e colorato realizzato da sua madre, che sa che il suo cervello si spegnerà e non può esprimersi diversamente.

Crede nella vita dopo la morte. Si definisce un cristiano secolare. Crede nelle anime. Sa che non vedrà più quella versione che conosceva di sua madre, ma la sua anima non è scomparsa ed è ancora da qualche parte.

Domanda di Christian Louboutin:

Domanda per il mio amato Mika, Mikahuète. “C'è qualcosa che rimpiangi di aver fatto e di non aver fatto?”

È una domanda difficile, e lo rimprovererà subito dopo. Ci sono due cose che rimpiange: essere stato troppo duro con le persone che ama e aver impiegato troppo tempo per non fregarsene dell'opinione delle persone. Rimpiange di non prendere sempre più piacere e di non vivere il momento presente. Non sa come fare vacanze e non fare nulla, solo godersi il momento.

• Thanks 6

Radio VINCI Autoroutes 107.7 FM

https://radio.vinci-autoroutes.com/article/mika-revele-l-inspiration-emouvante-derriere-son-nouvel-album-10771

22/12/2023

PODCAST

Montez le Son

Mika révèle l'inspiration émouvante derrière son nouvel album

Mika dévoile son sixième album, inspiré par un message de sa mère. Il explique comment la créativité et le positivisme influencent son œuvre. L'artiste évoque aussi ses souvenirs de vacances et comment il anticipe la prochaine saison de The Voice, soulignant l'évolution de son approche artistique et personnelle.

Dans son sixième album, « Que ta tête fleurisse toujours », Mika partage une facette plus intime et personnelle de son art. L'album tire son nom d'un message émouvant de sa mère, qui, dans ses derniers instants, lui a souhaité que sa créativité reste éternellement florissante : « Elle avait une maladie et elle m'envoie un message pour mon anniversaire en me disant ‘‘Joyeux anniversaire, may your head always bloom’’. Je te souhaite que ta tête fleurisse toujours [...] Si la tête fleurit, c'est-à-dire si on reste créatif, on peut toujours répondre à la vie, quoi qu'il arrive, et trouver des solutions, et peut-être rester heureux. »

L'album marque un tournant dans la carrière de Mika. Il combine sa signature pop colorée et rythmée avec des thèmes plus profonds et mélancoliques. Le chanteur explique cette dualité : « Ce n'est pas calculé, mais j'ai toujours écrit comme ça. Cette façon de métaboliser des thèmes très sérieux ou même très dark. Et quand même, ça te fait danser. »

En évoquant ses souvenirs d'enfance, Mika partage son amour pour les vacances, un thème qui resurgit dans ses récits. « Je vivais pour ça. Je vis pour ça. Encore aujourd'hui, » dit-il, rappelant l'importance de ces moments d'évasion dans sa vie.

Sur le plan professionnel, cet album arrive après une pause de quatre ans et précède une tournée prévue au printemps. Mika évoque aussi son retour dans l'émission The Voice, exprimant un renouvellement dans son approche. Les choses ne sont pas répétitives : « Pas quand l'énergie change et quand les personnes évoluent. Moi, j'ai évolué. Moi, j'ai changé. Les gens autour de moi ont changé. »

Pour finir, Mika partage ses souhaits pour la fin de l'année, « Un cœur léger, surtout actuellement. C'est de faire quelque chose de créatif, d'aimer et de l'annoncer, » reflétant l'esprit de résilience et de créativité qui imprègne son dernier travail.

:uk: Google translator
Spoiler

Mika reveals the moving inspiration behind his new album

Mika unveils his sixth album, inspired by a message from her mother. He explains how creativity and positivism influence his work. The artist also talks about his vacation memories and how he anticipates the next season of The Voice, highlighting the evolution of his artistic and personal approach.

In his sixth album, “May your head always bloom”, Mika shares a more intimate and personal side of his art. The album takes its name from a moving message from his mother, who, in her final moments, wished him that his creativity would forever flourish: "She had an illness and she sends me a message on my birthday saying ''Happy birthday, may your head always bloom''. I wish you that your head always blooms [...] If the head blooms, that is to say if we remain creative, we can always respond to life, whatever happens, and find solutions, and maybe stay happy. »

The album marks a turning point in Mika's career. It combines his signature colorful, rhythmic pop with deeper, melancholic themes. The singer explains this duality: “It’s not calculated, but I’ve always written like that. This way of metabolizing very serious or even very dark themes. And still, it makes you dance. »

Recalling her childhood memories, Mika shares his love for vacations, a theme that resurfaces in her stories. “I lived for it. I live for this. Even today,” he says, recalling the importance of these moments of escape in his life.

On a professional level, this album arrives after a four-year break and precedes a tour planned for the spring. Mika also talks about her return to the show The Voice, expressing a renewal in her approach. Things are not repetitive: “Not when the energy changes and when the people evolve. I have evolved. I have changed. The people around me have changed. »

Finally, Mika shares his wishes for the end of the year, “A light heart, especially now. “It’s about doing something creative and loving it and announcing it,” reflecting the spirit of resilience and creativity that permeates his latest work.

Spotify

YouTube

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

M6

« Les 20 chansons de 2023 préférées des Français »

M6 Play - https://www.6play.fr/les-20-chansons-de-2023-preferees-des-francai-p_25076

Edited from Les 20 chansons de 2023 preferees des Francais

• 12 Mika and Vianney « Keep It Simple »
  • 11 Mika « C'est la Vie »

Here is a screen - recording.

Unfortunately, I can't recording Keep It Simple.:unsure:

Here is the latter half of "Keep It Simple".

C'est la Vie

Edited by Kumazzz
update
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 7

On 12/24/2023 at 4:47 PM, Kumazzz said:

https://radio.vinci-autoroutes.com/article/mika-revele-l-inspiration-emouvante-derriere-son-nouvel-album-10771

22/12/2023

PODCAST

Montez le Son

Mika révèle l'inspiration émouvante derrière son nouvel album

Mika dévoile son sixième album, inspiré par un message de sa mère. Il explique comment la créativité et le positivisme influencent son œuvre. L'artiste évoque aussi ses souvenirs de vacances et comment il anticipe la prochaine saison de The Voice, soulignant l'évolution de son approche artistique et personnelle.

Dans son sixième album, « Que ta tête fleurisse toujours », Mika partage une facette plus intime et personnelle de son art. L'album tire son nom d'un message émouvant de sa mère, qui, dans ses derniers instants, lui a souhaité que sa créativité reste éternellement florissante : « Elle avait une maladie et elle m'envoie un message pour mon anniversaire en me disant ‘‘Joyeux anniversaire, may your head always bloom’’. Je te souhaite que ta tête fleurisse toujours [...] Si la tête fleurit, c'est-à-dire si on reste créatif, on peut toujours répondre à la vie, quoi qu'il arrive, et trouver des solutions, et peut-être rester heureux. »

L'album marque un tournant dans la carrière de Mika. Il combine sa signature pop colorée et rythmée avec des thèmes plus profonds et mélancoliques. Le chanteur explique cette dualité : « Ce n'est pas calculé, mais j'ai toujours écrit comme ça. Cette façon de métaboliser des thèmes très sérieux ou même très dark. Et quand même, ça te fait danser. »

En évoquant ses souvenirs d'enfance, Mika partage son amour pour les vacances, un thème qui resurgit dans ses récits. « Je vivais pour ça. Je vis pour ça. Encore aujourd'hui, » dit-il, rappelant l'importance de ces moments d'évasion dans sa vie.

Sur le plan professionnel, cet album arrive après une pause de quatre ans et précède une tournée prévue au printemps. Mika évoque aussi son retour dans l'émission The Voice, exprimant un renouvellement dans son approche. Les choses ne sont pas répétitives : « Pas quand l'énergie change et quand les personnes évoluent. Moi, j'ai évolué. Moi, j'ai changé. Les gens autour de moi ont changé. »

Pour finir, Mika partage ses souhaits pour la fin de l'année, « Un cœur léger, surtout actuellement. C'est de faire quelque chose de créatif, d'aimer et de l'annoncer, » reflétant l'esprit de résilience et de créativité qui imprègne son dernier travail.

Reveal hidden contents

Mika reveals the moving inspiration behind his new album

Mika unveils his sixth album, inspired by a message from her mother. He explains how creativity and positivism influence his work. The artist also talks about his vacation memories and how he anticipates the next season of The Voice, highlighting the evolution of his artistic and personal approach.

In his sixth album, “May your head always bloom”, Mika shares a more intimate and personal side of his art. The album takes its name from a moving message from his mother, who, in her final moments, wished him that his creativity would forever flourish: "She had an illness and she sends me a message on my birthday saying ''Happy birthday, may your head always bloom''. I wish you that your head always blooms [...] If the head blooms, that is to say if we remain creative, we can always respond to life, whatever happens, and find solutions, and maybe stay happy. »

The album marks a turning point in Mika's career. It combines his signature colorful, rhythmic pop with deeper, melancholic themes. The singer explains this duality: “It’s not calculated, but I’ve always written like that. This way of metabolizing very serious or even very dark themes. And still, it makes you dance. »

Recalling her childhood memories, Mika shares his love for vacations, a theme that resurfaces in her stories. “I lived for it. I live for this. Even today,” he says, recalling the importance of these moments of escape in his life.

On a professional level, this album arrives after a four-year break and precedes a tour planned for the spring. Mika also talks about her return to the show The Voice, expressing a renewal in her approach. Things are not repetitive: “Not when the energy changes and when the people evolve. I have evolved. I have changed. The people around me have changed. »

Finally, Mika shares his wishes for the end of the year, “A light heart, especially now. “It’s about doing something creative and loving it and announcing it,” reflecting the spirit of resilience and creativity that permeates his latest work.

Spotify

YouTube

• Like 1

Very interesting interview to two of them, MIKA and Lang Lang. :hug:

Le Figaro Magazine

29/12/2023

Mika/Lang Lang artistes associés; Réunis à Cardiff à l’occasion d’une émission de la télévision britannique, le chanteur pop et le pianiste classique ont accepté de se lancer dans un dialogue inédit, en exclusivité pour « Le Figaro Magazine », sur leur enfance, leur formation, leur rapport au public… et les raisons de leur admiration mutuelle. 

En une saison, « The Piano » s'est imposée comme une émission phare de Channel 4, la quatrième chaîne de télévision de la BBC. Le concept est connu : un télé-crochet pour jeunes talents avec un jury composé de vedettes. Ici, le pianiste Lang Lang face à la pop star Mika. La ­nouveauté tient au fait que les candidats jouent sur les pianos mis à la disposition des usagers des gares et non sur un plateau de télévision. C'est ainsi que les caméras de la chaîne ont débarqué dans les gares de Cardiff, Manchester, Victoria Station à Londres, Liverpool et Édimbourg pour filmer les prestations des prétendants. Avec, en mémoire, la bouleversante lauréate de l'année dernière, Lucie. Talentueuse, aveugle, atteinte d'une ­maladie génétique, Lucie connaissait toutes les musiques et les avait apprises à l'oreille ou en touchant les doigts de son professeur…

UNE éMISSION POUR LES VRAIS AMATEURS

Aux candidats, l'émission ne pose qu'une condition : être de véritables amateurs. Autant dire n'avoir jamais reçu de rémunération pour jouer du piano. Le choix de la musique comme celui du genre est libre : classique, jazz ou variété. On peut aussi chanter en s'accompagnant au piano, ou même jouer ses propres compositions. Au terme du processus de sélection, cinq candidats - un par gare — se présentent pour la finale.

Nous nous sommes rendus à Cardiff pour assister à l'un de ces enregistrements. Un piano droit Steinway, partenaire de l'émission, trône au milieu de la salle des pas perdus. En toute discrétion, les jurés Lang Lang et Mika s'installent dans une salle ordinairement réservée aux techniciens pour commenter, devant les caméras, les prestations des musiciens. « Nous ne sommes pas là pour faire des stars », prévient tout de suite Mika. « Cela doit rester très humain », ajoute Lang Lang. De fait, si le stress des candidats est palpable, l'ambiance générale reste très bon enfant. L'animatrice Claudia Winkleman les accueille, leur pose quelques questions puis les invite à s'installer au piano pour qu'ils interprètent leur partition. La première candidate est une femme d'âge mûr, dans la vie conductrice de bus à impériale. Elle est venue accompagnée d'un chœur amateur d'hommes à la ­retraite. Dans cette belle salle construite en 1850, leur musique crée une atmosphère particulière. On se croirait lors de la grève des mineurs au temps de l'inflexible ­Margaret Thatcher. Le moment est si fort que Mika et Lang Lang viennent féliciter la pianiste et ses amis. L'émotion submerge la troupe de musiciens amateurs, qui proposent aux deux stars d'interpréter l'air national gallois. Le mari de la pianiste, qui s'était tenu à l'écart, a les larmes aux yeux. On est très loin de l'ambiance de « The Voice ».

Être dans l'ADN de la musique

Mika nous a d'emblée prévenus : « Vous êtes les premiers journalistes à entrer dans la délicate bulle de cette émission. Ici, on est dans le cœur de la musique, avec de vrais amateurs. Même si les interprétations ne sont pas toujours ­excellentes, elles sont authentiques et transmettent beaucoup d'émotions. On est dans l'ADN de la musique. Ce n'est pas Carnegie Hall ou Salle Pleyel, c'est une gare avec des gens ordinaires. Les moments peuvent être magiques. »

Après un après-midi d'enregistrement, nous avons proposé à Mika et Lang Lang d'écouter chacun un morceau interprété par l'autre, pour guetter leur réaction. On commence par un Nocturne de Chopin, joué par Lang Lang il y a vingt ans. Le concertiste le reconnaît aussitôt. Mika, par humilité devant Lang Lang, et le voyant totalement absorbé par la musique, n'ose pas commenter. Il finira simplement par dire que cet extrait le ramène « aux années où [il] faisai[t] du classique ». Et de poursuivre : « J'ai écouté Lang Lang des années avant que nous nous rencontrions. »

Ces deux-là ont fait connaissance par le biais de Rich ­McKerrow et Ted Hill, les producteurs britanniques à qui l'on doit la brillante idée de les réunir pour une émission de télévision. « Ça a été très compliqué car nous étions tous les deux en tournée, courant d'un train, d'un avion à une salle de concert. Nous en savions peu sur ce projet, si ce n'est qu'il s'agirait de gens de la vraie vie, de pianos dans des gares, avec la garantie que nous pourrions parler sans aucune censure », raconte Mika. « Ce qui nous a plu, ajoute Lang Lang, c'était la simplicité de la formule. Et puis, il y avait, en plus, la ­rencontre de deux mondes très différents… »

Tous deux élevés à la musique classique

Petit à petit, Mika se montre plus volubile sur son rapport à la musique classique : « Quand j'écoute Chopin ou Rachmaninov, je suis dans un univers familier, mais cela m'oblige au plus grand des respects, car j'ai très tôt compris que je ne serais jamais assez bon pour inter­préter ces compositeurs. Cela ne m'empêche pas pour autant d'en comprendre toutes les nuances, d'écouter les notes, d'écouter ce qu'il y a entre les notes. » Et de nous raconter ses premiers essais au piano lorsqu'il était ­enfant. Des leçons particulières avec Alexander ­Ardakov, très bon interprète russe de Chopin. Mais le professeur, découragé par les difficultés techniques du bambin, finit par le confier à sa femme. Et celle-ci, à son tour, finit par expliquer au jeune Mika qu'il « ferait mieux de chanter » ! Six mois plus tard, Mika chante, et avec passion, tant la musique est devenue le refuge de son enfance difficile. « La musique était mon recours. Alors, évidemment, ce Nocturne de Chopin me rappelle les moments pas évidents de l'enfance. » Lorsque, par exemple, un instituteur dont il est la tête de turc l'oblige à rester assis sans bouger, sans même pouvoir aller aux toilettes. « Le chaos que vous ressentez en vous à ce ­moment-là, c'est la musique qui m'a permis de le surmonter. » Elle lui donne même un sens au monde, à la vie. Car « quelqu'un qui joue au piano crée son propre univers, son propre monde, confirme Lang Lang. On se raconte une histoire de la vie avec des nuances, des contrastes, des contradictions. C'est une conversation avec soi-même à la fois philosophique et psychologique. »

Puis, c'est au tour de Lang Lang d'écouter la chanson Take it Easy de Mika, un de ses nombreux tubes. ­D'emblée, le concertiste lui pose des questions tech­niques sur le son très particulier du piano et de la guitare.

« J'ai découvert qu'il existait d'autres musiques que le classique quand j'avais 7 ou 8 ans. C'était avec Michael Jackson et des artistes pop chinois. Ce fut un choc, mais cela ne m'a pas incité à changer de genre. Ma seule inquiétude était le fait d'avoir ou non du succès, et quand. Je m'entraînais tout le temps. Je ne faisais que ça. »

Malgré des personnalités et des abords très dissem­blables, Mika et Lang Lang ont noué une véritable complicité, donnant à leur duo un charme irrésistible.

« Je me souviens d'avoir écouté Mika seul au piano devant le Duomo de Milan. Je dois avouer que j'ai pleuré !

- Je joue pourtant au piano d'une manière très simple ! s'étonne Mika.

- Mais c'est ce qui me plaît ! » lui répond Lang Lang, qui se souvient aussi avoir été impressionné par la voix de son complice lorsqu'il avait chanté avec le contre-ténor Jakub Józef Orlinski, accompagné par l'orchestre ­baroque de l'Opéra royal de Versailles.

Si les deux artistes ont en commun une enfance difficile, leurs phénoménaux succès respectifs les ont-ils consolés de ces années qu'on ne souhaiterait à aucun enfant ?

« Nous en avons parlé tous les deux. Est-ce que je peux le dire ? demande Mika à Lang Lang. Oui, nous nous ­sommes en effet posé la question de l'incidence de ces ­années sur nos vies actuelles. » « C'est vrai qu'on a un peu vécu la même chose », ajoute Lang Lang. « Est-ce pour autant une revanche ? interroge Mika, avant de poursuivre : Nous sommes, en tant qu'artistes, nés de ces difficultés. »

Si les parents de Mika ne poussaient pas la carrière de leur fils, il en fut autrement du père de Lang Lang, qui nourrissait des ambitions très personnelles à travers son rejeton. Était-ce trop pesant ? « Difficile à dire quand les parents vous poussent à essayer de trouver votre chemin, et le langage qui vous permettra de vous exprimer, nous ­répond Lang Lang. Mon père a su découvrir très tôt mon talent. La mémoire oublie les moments les plus cruels, car j'ai très vite adoré donner des concerts. » Et Mika de souligner : « Quand vous êtes sur scène, vous devez laisser votre liberté prendre le dessus. Tout ceci fait partie de votre être, et nous faisons preuve d'une incroyable résilience. Rien n'est moins créatif que la colère de la revanche. La musique et la poésie, au contraire, nous permettent cette résilience. » « Même si c'est un mécanisme un peu complexe, car cer­taines choses reviennent en mémoire quand vous jouez des pièces sur lesquelles vous vous êtes acharné enfant, comme certaines sonates de Beethoven, intervient Lang Lang. La musique agit comme un flash-back : vous vous entendez les jouer comme des années auparavant et vous vous rappelez ­immédiatement ce que vous ressentiez alors. »

Mika est à l'abri de ces dangereux souvenirs. Il ne joue que son propre répertoire, quand Lang Lang interprète celui des grands compositeurs. Les voilà à évoquer Jean-Sébastien Bach, « si compliqué mathématiquement et ­spirituellement. Combien de temps as-tu attendu pour ­enregistrer les Variations Goldberg que tu jouais en concert depuis si longtemps ? demande Mika.

- Vingt-huit ans, répond Lang Lang, en souriant, qui ­insiste sur le fait que le meilleur interprète de cette partition reste Glenn Gould, qui a tellement fait évoluer ­l'interprétation au fil des années.

- Moi aussi, j'aimerais changer les interprétations de mes chansons, mais ce n'est pas facile, avoue Mika. Les attentes du public sont phénoménales. Il aime réentendre encore et toujours les mêmes choses, comme pour se rassurer. Les gens payent un billet pour vivre une expérience. Ils ont ­besoin de reconnaître les tubes qu'ils ont aimés afin de se ­retrouver. Pourtant, refaire une chanson avec orchestre, c'est très jouissif. Même si elle est ainsi totalement différente. »

Sans doute est-ce pour cette raison qu'il a donné ce concert baroque à Versailles, dont il garde un souvenir enjolivé par la présence de sa mère, qui était venue alors qu'elle était au plus mal.

LA MUSIQUE DONNE UN MEILLEUR VISAGE AU MONDE

Si Mika a commencé à monter sur scène dès ses dix ans, « moyennant de petits cachets qu'[il] donnai[t] à [s]a mère », Lang Lang était, au même âge, une bête de concours avec obligation paternelle de les gagner. De cette période, ils ont hérité d'une véritable empathie pour les enfants. « Je me sens bien quand je suis avec eux, dit très calmement le concertiste. Nous avons des discussions très honnêtes, très vraies, et c'est chaque fois une grande expérience humaine. Ma chance est d'être citoyen du monde grâce à la musique. Je veux que d'autres en profitent. »

« La musique donne aux jeunes un meilleur visage du monde, ajoute Mika qui, au Liban, a connu la guerre. Elle peut changer la vie des enfants comme elle a changé la nôtre. Elle renforce la communauté humaine. Une communauté musicale est transsociale. Elle oblige à la réciprocité. Et cela donne des fondations aux hommes de demain. » 

FRANÇOIS DELÉTRAZ

Mika : son album Que ta tête fleurisse toujours (Island) vient de sortir. Il sera en tournée à partir du 26 février à Clermont-Ferrand, puis pour 20 dates dont l'Accor Arena, à Paris, le 25 mars.

Lang Lang : son nouvel album consacré à Saint-Saëns (Deutsche Grammophon) sortira en mars prochain. Il sera en tournée au printemps : à Bordeaux le 25 mai, à Lyon le 9 juin, à la Philharmonie de Paris les 12 et 14 juin.

(Google Translation)

:uk:

Mika/Lang Lang associated artists; Gathered in Cardiff on the occasion of a British television program, the pop singer and the classical pianist agreed to engage in a new dialogue, exclusively for "Le Figaro Magazine", on their childhood, their training, their relationship with the public… and the reasons for their mutual admiration. 

In one season, “The Piano” established itself as a flagship program on Channel 4, the BBC’s fourth television channel. The concept is known: a talent show for young talents with a jury made up of stars. Here, the pianist Lang Lang faces the pop star Mika. The novelty lies in the fact that the candidates play on the pianos made available to station users and not on a television set. This is how the channel's cameras arrived at the stations of Cardiff, Manchester, Victoria Station in London, Liverpool and Edinburgh to film the performances of the suitors. With, in memory, last year's moving winner, Lucie. Talented, blind, suffering from a genetic disease, Lucie knew all the music and had learned it by ear or by touching her teacher's fingers...

A SHOW FOR REAL FANS

The show only has one condition for the candidates: to be true amateurs. Suffice it to say that I have never received remuneration for playing the piano. The choice of music and genre is free: classical, jazz or variety. You can also sing while accompanying yourself on the piano, or even play your own compositions. At the end of the selection process, five candidates - one per station - appear for the final.

We traveled to Cardiff to attend one of these recordings. A Steinway upright piano, partner of the show, sits in the middle of the Salle des Pas Perdus. In complete discretion, the jurors Lang Lang and Mika sit in a room usually reserved for technicians to comment, in front of the cameras, on the musicians' performances. “We are not here to make stars,” Mika immediately warns. “It must remain very human,” adds Lang Lang. In fact, if the stress of the candidates is palpable, the general atmosphere remains very good-natured. Host Claudia Winkleman welcomes them, asks them a few questions then invites them to sit at the piano so that they can perform their score. The first candidate is a middle-aged woman, in life a double-decker bus driver. She came accompanied by an amateur choir of retired men. In this beautiful hall built in 1850, their music creates a special atmosphere. It feels like the miners' strike at the time of the inflexible Margaret Thatcher. The moment is so strong that Mika and Lang Lang come to congratulate the pianist and her friends. Emotion overwhelms the troop of amateur musicians, who ask the two stars to perform the Welsh national tune. The pianist's husband, who had stood aside, had tears in his eyes. We are very far from the atmosphere of “The Voice”.

Being in the DNA of music

Mika immediately warned us: “You are the first journalists to enter the delicate bubble of this show. Here, we are in the heart of music, with real fans. Even if the performances are not always excellent, they are authentic and convey a lot of emotion. We are in the DNA of music. It's not Carnegie Hall or Salle Pleyel, it's a train station with ordinary people. Moments can be magical. »

After an afternoon of recording, we asked Mika and Lang Lang to each listen to a piece performed by the other, to see their reaction. We begin with a Nocturne by Chopin, played by Lang Lang twenty years ago. The concert performer recognizes him immediately. Mika, out of humility in front of Lang Lang, and seeing him totally absorbed by the music, does not dare to comment. He will simply end up saying that this extract takes him back “to the years when [he] was doing classical.” And continues: “I listened to Lang Lang years before we met. »

These two got to know each other through Rich McKerrow and Ted Hill, the British producers who had the brilliant idea of bringing them together for a television show. “It was very complicated because we were both on tour, running from a train, from a plane to a concert hall. We knew little about this project, except that it would be about real-life people, pianos in train stations, with the guarantee that we could speak without any censorship,” says Mika. “What we liked,” adds Lang Lang, “was the simplicity of the formula. And then, there was, in addition, the meeting of two very different worlds…”

Both raised on classical music

Little by little, Mika becomes more talkative about his relationship to classical music: “When I listen to Chopin or Rachmaninov, I am in a familiar universe, but that requires me to have the greatest respect, because I very early understood that I would never be good enough to interpret these composers. That doesn't stop me from understanding all the nuances, from listening to the notes, from listening to what's between the notes. » And to tell us about his first attempts at the piano when he was a child. Private lessons with Alexander Ardakov, a very good Russian interpreter of Chopin. But the teacher, discouraged by the toddler's technical difficulties, ends up entrusting him to his wife. And she, in turn, ends up explaining to young Mika that he “had better sing”! Six months later, Mika sings, and with passion, as music has become the refuge of her difficult childhood. “Music was my recourse. So, obviously, this Nocturne by Chopin reminds me of the difficult moments of childhood. » When, for example, a teacher of whom he is the head of Turk forces him to remain seated without moving, without even being able to go to the toilet. “The chaos you feel inside at that moment, it was music that allowed me to overcome it. » It even gives him a meaning to the world, to life. Because “someone who plays the piano creates his own universe, his own world,” confirms Lang Lang. We tell ourselves a life story with nuances, contrasts, contradictions. It is a conversation with oneself that is both philosophical and psychological. »

Then, it's Lang Lang's turn to listen to the song Take it Easy by Mika, one of his many hits. From the outset, the concert artist asks him technical questions about the very particular sound of the piano and the guitar.

“I discovered that there was other music than classical when I was 7 or 8 years old. It was with Michael Jackson and Chinese pop artists. It was a shock, but it didn't make me change my genre. My only worry was whether or not I would be successful, and when. I trained all the time. That's all I did. »

Despite very dissimilar personalities and approaches, Mika and Lang Lang have formed a real bond, giving their duo an irresistible charm.

“I remember listening to Mika alone on the piano in front of the Duomo in Milan. I must admit that I cried!

- However, I play the piano in a very simple way! Mika is surprised.

- But that’s what I like! » replies Lang Lang, who also remembers being impressed by the voice of his accomplice when he sang with the countertenor Jakub Józef Orlinski, accompanied by the baroque orchestra of the Royal Opera of Versailles.

If the two artists share a difficult childhood, have their respective phenomenal successes consoled them for these years that we would not wish on any child?

“We both talked about it. Can I say it? Mika asks Lang Lang. Yes, we have indeed asked ourselves the question of the impact of these years on our current lives. » “It’s true that we experienced a bit of the same thing,” adds Lang Lang. “Is this really revenge? asks Mika, before continuing: We are, as artists, born from these difficulties. »

If Mika's parents did not encourage their son's career, it was different for Lang Lang's father, who harbored very personal ambitions through his offspring. Was it too heavy? “Difficult to say when parents push you to try to find your way, and the language that will allow you to express yourself,” Lang Lang answers us. My father discovered my talent very early on. Memory forgets the cruelest moments, because I very quickly loved giving concerts. » And Mika emphasizes: “When you are on stage, you have to let your freedom take over. It's all part of who you are, and we have incredible resilience. Nothing is less creative than the anger of revenge. Music and poetry, on the contrary, allow us this resilience. » “Even if it's a slightly complex mechanism, because certain things come back to memory when you play pieces that you worked hard on as a child, like certain Beethoven sonatas,” Lang Lang intervenes. The music acts like a flashback: you hear yourself playing them like years ago and you immediately remember how you felt then. »

Mika is safe from these dangerous memories. He only plays his own repertoire, while Lang Lang performs that of the great composers. Here they are, evoking Johann Sebastian Bach, “so complicated mathematically and spiritually. How long did you wait to record the Goldberg Variations that you had been playing live for so long? Mika asks.

- Twenty-eight years, replies Lang Lang, smiling, who insists on the fact that the best interpreter of this score remains Glenn Gould, who has made the interpretation evolve so much over the years.

- I too would like to change the interpretations of my songs, but it's not easy, admits Mika. Public expectations are phenomenal. He likes to hear the same things over and over again, as if to reassure himself. People pay for a ticket to have an experience. They need to recognize the hits they liked in order to find themselves. However, redoing a song with an orchestra is very enjoyable. Even if it is totally different. »

No doubt this is why he gave this baroque concert at Versailles, a memory of which he keeps embellished by the presence of his mother, who came when she was at her worst.

MUSIC GIVES A BETTER FACE TO THE WORLD

If Mika began to go on stage at the age of ten, “for small fees that [he] gave to [his] mother”, Lang Lang was, at the same age, a competition beast with paternal obligation to win them. From this period, they inherited a true empathy for children. “I feel good when I’m with them,” said the concert artist very calmly. We have very honest, very real discussions, and each time it is a great human experience. My chance is to be a citizen of the world thanks to music. I want others to benefit from it. »

“Music gives young people a better view of the world,” adds Mika who, in Lebanon, experienced war. It can change children's lives as it changed ours. It strengthens the human community. A musical community is transsocial. It requires reciprocity. And this provides foundations for the men of tomorrow. » 

FRANCIS DELETRAZ

Mika: her album That your head always blooms (Island) has just been released. He will be on tour from February 26 in Clermont-Ferrand, then for 20 dates including the Accor Arena, in Paris, on March 25.

Lang Lang: his new album dedicated to Saint-Saëns (Deutsche Grammophon) will be released next March. He will be on tour in the spring: in Bordeaux on May 25, in Lyon on June 9, at the Philharmonie de Paris on June 12 and 14.

Edited by NaoMika
added issue date
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, NaoMika said:

I too would like to change the interpretations of my songs, but it's not easy, admits Mika. Public expectations are phenomenal. He likes to hear the same things over and over again, as if to reassure himself. People pay for a ticket to have an experience. They need to recognize the hits they liked in order to find themselves.

Oh, I would love to hear new interpretations of any of his songs! I thoroughly enjoy when he starts “Relax” acoustically and with his lower register. It’s such a calm and soothing beginning, to then build op to what the song is. He has done it for the acoustic gig in Milan and for his symphonic concerts as well.
It would totally work for festivals! The core and energy of the song is still perserved, just a different build up. I hope he will change his mind for the upcoming tour and go some new interpretations anyway.

• Like 4

On 12/29/2023 at 9:06 AM, NaoMika said:

Le Figaro Magazine

29/12/2023

Mika/Lang Lang artistes associés; Réunis à Cardiff à l’occasion d’une émission de la télévision britannique, le chanteur pop et le pianiste classique ont accepté de se lancer dans un dialogue inédit, en exclusivité pour « Le Figaro Magazine », sur leur enfance, leur formation, leur rapport au public… et les raisons de leur admiration mutuelle. 

En une saison, « The Piano » s'est imposée comme une émission phare de Channel 4, la quatrième chaîne de télévision de la BBC. Le concept est connu : un télé-crochet pour jeunes talents avec un jury composé de vedettes. Ici, le pianiste Lang Lang face à la pop star Mika. La ­nouveauté tient au fait que les candidats jouent sur les pianos mis à la disposition des usagers des gares et non sur un plateau de télévision. C'est ainsi que les caméras de la chaîne ont débarqué dans les gares de Cardiff, Manchester, Victoria Station à Londres, Liverpool et Édimbourg pour filmer les prestations des prétendants. Avec, en mémoire, la bouleversante lauréate de l'année dernière, Lucie. Talentueuse, aveugle, atteinte d'une ­maladie génétique, Lucie connaissait toutes les musiques et les avait apprises à l'oreille ou en touchant les doigts de son professeur…

Aux candidats, l'émission ne pose qu'une condition : être de véritables amateurs. Autant dire n'avoir jamais reçu de rémunération pour jouer du piano. Le choix de la musique comme celui du genre est libre : classique, jazz ou variété. On peut aussi chanter en s'accompagnant au piano, ou même jouer ses propres compositions. Au terme du processus de sélection, cinq candidats - un par gare — se présentent pour la finale.

Nous nous sommes rendus à Cardiff pour assister à l'un de ces enregistrements. Un piano droit Steinway, partenaire de l'émission, trône au milieu de la salle des pas perdus. En toute discrétion, les jurés Lang Lang et Mika s'installent dans une salle ordinairement réservée aux techniciens pour commenter, devant les caméras, les prestations des musiciens. « Nous ne sommes pas là pour faire des stars », prévient tout de suite Mika. « Cela doit rester très humain », ajoute Lang Lang. De fait, si le stress des candidats est palpable, l'ambiance générale reste très bon enfant. L'animatrice Claudia Winkleman les accueille, leur pose quelques questions puis les invite à s'installer au piano pour qu'ils interprètent leur partition. La première candidate est une femme d'âge mûr, dans la vie conductrice de bus à impériale. Elle est venue accompagnée d'un chœur amateur d'hommes à la ­retraite. Dans cette belle salle construite en 1850, leur musique crée une atmosphère particulière. On se croirait lors de la grève des mineurs au temps de l'inflexible ­Margaret Thatcher. Le moment est si fort que Mika et Lang Lang viennent féliciter la pianiste et ses amis. L'émotion submerge la troupe de musiciens amateurs, qui proposent aux deux stars d'interpréter l'air national gallois. Le mari de la pianiste, qui s'était tenu à l'écart, a les larmes aux yeux. On est très loin de l'ambiance de « The Voice ».

Mika nous a d'emblée prévenus : « Vous êtes les premiers journalistes à entrer dans la délicate bulle de cette émission. Ici, on est dans le cœur de la musique, avec de vrais amateurs. Même si les interprétations ne sont pas toujours ­excellentes, elles sont authentiques et transmettent beaucoup d'émotions. On est dans l'ADN de la musique. Ce n'est pas Carnegie Hall ou Salle Pleyel, c'est une gare avec des gens ordinaires. Les moments peuvent être magiques. »

Après un après-midi d'enregistrement, nous avons proposé à Mika et Lang Lang d'écouter chacun un morceau interprété par l'autre, pour guetter leur réaction. On commence par un Nocturne de Chopin, joué par Lang Lang il y a vingt ans. Le concertiste le reconnaît aussitôt. Mika, par humilité devant Lang Lang, et le voyant totalement absorbé par la musique, n'ose pas commenter. Il finira simplement par dire que cet extrait le ramène « aux années où [il] faisai[t] du classique ». Et de poursuivre : « J'ai écouté Lang Lang des années avant que nous nous rencontrions. »

Ces deux-là ont fait connaissance par le biais de Rich ­McKerrow et Ted Hill, les producteurs britanniques à qui l'on doit la brillante idée de les réunir pour une émission de télévision. « Ça a été très compliqué car nous étions tous les deux en tournée, courant d'un train, d'un avion à une salle de concert. Nous en savions peu sur ce projet, si ce n'est qu'il s'agirait de gens de la vraie vie, de pianos dans des gares, avec la garantie que nous pourrions parler sans aucune censure », raconte Mika. « Ce qui nous a plu, ajoute Lang Lang, c'était la simplicité de la formule. Et puis, il y avait, en plus, la ­rencontre de deux mondes très différents… »

Petit à petit, Mika se montre plus volubile sur son rapport à la musique classique : « Quand j'écoute Chopin ou Rachmaninov, je suis dans un univers familier, mais cela m'oblige au plus grand des respects, car j'ai très tôt compris que je ne serais jamais assez bon pour inter­préter ces compositeurs. Cela ne m'empêche pas pour autant d'en comprendre toutes les nuances, d'écouter les notes, d'écouter ce qu'il y a entre les notes. » Et de nous raconter ses premiers essais au piano lorsqu'il était ­enfant. Des leçons particulières avec Alexander ­Ardakov, très bon interprète russe de Chopin. Mais le professeur, découragé par les difficultés techniques du bambin, finit par le confier à sa femme. Et celle-ci, à son tour, finit par expliquer au jeune Mika qu'il « ferait mieux de chanter » ! Six mois plus tard, Mika chante, et avec passion, tant la musique est devenue le refuge de son enfance difficile. « La musique était mon recours. Alors, évidemment, ce Nocturne de Chopin me rappelle les moments pas évidents de l'enfance. » Lorsque, par exemple, un instituteur dont il est la tête de turc l'oblige à rester assis sans bouger, sans même pouvoir aller aux toilettes. « Le chaos que vous ressentez en vous à ce ­moment-là, c'est la musique qui m'a permis de le surmonter. » Elle lui donne même un sens au monde, à la vie. Car « quelqu'un qui joue au piano crée son propre univers, son propre monde, confirme Lang Lang. On se raconte une histoire de la vie avec des nuances, des contrastes, des contradictions. C'est une conversation avec soi-même à la fois philosophique et psychologique. »

Puis, c'est au tour de Lang Lang d'écouter la chanson Take it Easy de Mika, un de ses nombreux tubes. ­D'emblée, le concertiste lui pose des questions tech­niques sur le son très particulier du piano et de la guitare.

« J'ai découvert qu'il existait d'autres musiques que le classique quand j'avais 7 ou 8 ans. C'était avec Michael Jackson et des artistes pop chinois. Ce fut un choc, mais cela ne m'a pas incité à changer de genre. Ma seule inquiétude était le fait d'avoir ou non du succès, et quand. Je m'entraînais tout le temps. Je ne faisais que ça. »

Malgré des personnalités et des abords très dissem­blables, Mika et Lang Lang ont noué une véritable complicité, donnant à leur duo un charme irrésistible.

« Je me souviens d'avoir écouté Mika seul au piano devant le Duomo de Milan. Je dois avouer que j'ai pleuré !

- Mais c'est ce qui me plaît ! » lui répond Lang Lang, qui se souvient aussi avoir été impressionné par la voix de son complice lorsqu'il avait chanté avec le contre-ténor Jakub Józef Orlinski, accompagné par l'orchestre ­baroque de l'Opéra royal de Versailles.

Si les deux artistes ont en commun une enfance difficile, leurs phénoménaux succès respectifs les ont-ils consolés de ces années qu'on ne souhaiterait à aucun enfant ?

« Nous en avons parlé tous les deux. Est-ce que je peux le dire ? demande Mika à Lang Lang. Oui, nous nous ­sommes en effet posé la question de l'incidence de ces ­années sur nos vies actuelles. » « C'est vrai qu'on a un peu vécu la même chose », ajoute Lang Lang. « Est-ce pour autant une revanche ? interroge Mika, avant de poursuivre : Nous sommes, en tant qu'artistes, nés de ces difficultés. »

Si les parents de Mika ne poussaient pas la carrière de leur fils, il en fut autrement du père de Lang Lang, qui nourrissait des ambitions très personnelles à travers son rejeton. Était-ce trop pesant ? « Difficile à dire quand les parents vous poussent à essayer de trouver votre chemin, et le langage qui vous permettra de vous exprimer, nous ­répond Lang Lang. Mon père a su découvrir très tôt mon talent. La mémoire oublie les moments les plus cruels, car j'ai très vite adoré donner des concerts. » Et Mika de souligner : « Quand vous êtes sur scène, vous devez laisser votre liberté prendre le dessus. Tout ceci fait partie de votre être, et nous faisons preuve d'une incroyable résilience. Rien n'est moins créatif que la colère de la revanche. La musique et la poésie, au contraire, nous permettent cette résilience. » « Même si c'est un mécanisme un peu complexe, car cer­taines choses reviennent en mémoire quand vous jouez des pièces sur lesquelles vous vous êtes acharné enfant, comme certaines sonates de Beethoven, intervient Lang Lang. La musique agit comme un flash-back : vous vous entendez les jouer comme des années auparavant et vous vous rappelez ­immédiatement ce que vous ressentiez alors. »

Mika est à l'abri de ces dangereux souvenirs. Il ne joue que son propre répertoire, quand Lang Lang interprète celui des grands compositeurs. Les voilà à évoquer Jean-Sébastien Bach, « si compliqué mathématiquement et ­spirituellement. Combien de temps as-tu attendu pour ­enregistrer les Variations Goldberg que tu jouais en concert depuis si longtemps ? demande Mika.

- Vingt-huit ans, répond Lang Lang, en souriant, qui ­insiste sur le fait que le meilleur interprète de cette partition reste Glenn Gould, qui a tellement fait évoluer ­l'interprétation au fil des années.

- Moi aussi, j'aimerais changer les interprétations de mes chansons, mais ce n'est pas facile, avoue Mika. Les attentes du public sont phénoménales. Il aime réentendre encore et toujours les mêmes choses, comme pour se rassurer. Les gens payent un billet pour vivre une expérience. Ils ont ­besoin de reconnaître les tubes qu'ils ont aimés afin de se ­retrouver. Pourtant, refaire une chanson avec orchestre, c'est très jouissif. Même si elle est ainsi totalement différente. »

Sans doute est-ce pour cette raison qu'il a donné ce concert baroque à Versailles, dont il garde un souvenir enjolivé par la présence de sa mère, qui était venue alors qu'elle était au plus mal.

Si Mika a commencé à monter sur scène dès ses dix ans, « moyennant de petits cachets qu'[il] donnai[t] à [s]a mère », Lang Lang était, au même âge, une bête de concours avec obligation paternelle de les gagner. De cette période, ils ont hérité d'une véritable empathie pour les enfants. « Je me sens bien quand je suis avec eux, dit très calmement le concertiste. Nous avons des discussions très honnêtes, très vraies, et c'est chaque fois une grande expérience humaine. Ma chance est d'être citoyen du monde grâce à la musique. Je veux que d'autres en profitent. »

« La musique donne aux jeunes un meilleur visage du monde, ajoute Mika qui, au Liban, a connu la guerre. Elle peut changer la vie des enfants comme elle a changé la nôtre. Elle renforce la communauté humaine. Une communauté musicale est transsociale. Elle oblige à la réciprocité. Et cela donne des fondations aux hommes de demain. » 

FRANÇOIS DELÉTRAZ

Mika : son album Que ta tête fleurisse toujours (Island) vient de sortir. Il sera en tournée à partir du 26 février à Clermont-Ferrand, puis pour 20 dates dont l'Accor Arena, à Paris, le 25 mars.

Lang Lang : son nouvel album consacré à Saint-Saëns (Deutsche Grammophon) sortira en mars prochain. Il sera en tournée au printemps : à Bordeaux le 25 mai, à Lyon le 9 juin, à la Philharmonie de Paris les 12 et 14 juin.

(Google Translation)

Mika/Lang Lang associated artists; Gathered in Cardiff on the occasion of a British television program, the pop singer and the classical pianist agreed to engage in a new dialogue, exclusively for "Le Figaro Magazine", on their childhood, their training, their relationship with the public… and the reasons for their mutual admiration. 

In one season, “The Piano” established itself as a flagship program on Channel 4, the BBC’s fourth television channel. The concept is known: a talent show for young talents with a jury made up of stars. Here, the pianist Lang Lang faces the pop star Mika. The novelty lies in the fact that the candidates play on the pianos made available to station users and not on a television set. This is how the channel's cameras arrived at the stations of Cardiff, Manchester, Victoria Station in London, Liverpool and Edinburgh to film the performances of the suitors. With, in memory, last year's moving winner, Lucie. Talented, blind, suffering from a genetic disease, Lucie knew all the music and had learned it by ear or by touching her teacher's fingers...

A SHOW FOR REAL FANS

The show only has one condition for the candidates: to be true amateurs. Suffice it to say that I have never received remuneration for playing the piano. The choice of music and genre is free: classical, jazz or variety. You can also sing while accompanying yourself on the piano, or even play your own compositions. At the end of the selection process, five candidates - one per station - appear for the final.

We traveled to Cardiff to attend one of these recordings. A Steinway upright piano, partner of the show, sits in the middle of the Salle des Pas Perdus. In complete discretion, the jurors Lang Lang and Mika sit in a room usually reserved for technicians to comment, in front of the cameras, on the musicians' performances. “We are not here to make stars,” Mika immediately warns. “It must remain very human,” adds Lang Lang. In fact, if the stress of the candidates is palpable, the general atmosphere remains very good-natured. Host Claudia Winkleman welcomes them, asks them a few questions then invites them to sit at the piano so that they can perform their score. The first candidate is a middle-aged woman, in life a double-decker bus driver. She came accompanied by an amateur choir of retired men. In this beautiful hall built in 1850, their music creates a special atmosphere. It feels like the miners' strike at the time of the inflexible Margaret Thatcher. The moment is so strong that Mika and Lang Lang come to congratulate the pianist and her friends. Emotion overwhelms the troop of amateur musicians, who ask the two stars to perform the Welsh national tune. The pianist's husband, who had stood aside, had tears in his eyes. We are very far from the atmosphere of “The Voice”.

Mika immediately warned us: “You are the first journalists to enter the delicate bubble of this show. Here, we are in the heart of music, with real fans. Even if the performances are not always excellent, they are authentic and convey a lot of emotion. We are in the DNA of music. It's not Carnegie Hall or Salle Pleyel, it's a train station with ordinary people. Moments can be magical. »

After an afternoon of recording, we asked Mika and Lang Lang to each listen to a piece performed by the other, to see their reaction. We begin with a Nocturne by Chopin, played by Lang Lang twenty years ago. The concert performer recognizes him immediately. Mika, out of humility in front of Lang Lang, and seeing him totally absorbed by the music, does not dare to comment. He will simply end up saying that this extract takes him back “to the years when [he] was doing classical.” And continues: “I listened to Lang Lang years before we met. »

These two got to know each other through Rich McKerrow and Ted Hill, the British producers who had the brilliant idea of bringing them together for a television show. “It was very complicated because we were both on tour, running from a train, from a plane to a concert hall. We knew little about this project, except that it would be about real-life people, pianos in train stations, with the guarantee that we could speak without any censorship,” says Mika. “What we liked,” adds Lang Lang, “was the simplicity of the formula. And then, there was, in addition, the meeting of two very different worlds…”

Little by little, Mika becomes more talkative about his relationship to classical music: “When I listen to Chopin or Rachmaninov, I am in a familiar universe, but that requires me to have the greatest respect, because I very early understood that I would never be good enough to interpret these composers. That doesn't stop me from understanding all the nuances, from listening to the notes, from listening to what's between the notes. » And to tell us about his first attempts at the piano when he was a child. Private lessons with Alexander Ardakov, a very good Russian interpreter of Chopin. But the teacher, discouraged by the toddler's technical difficulties, ends up entrusting him to his wife. And she, in turn, ends up explaining to young Mika that he “had better sing”! Six months later, Mika sings, and with passion, as music has become the refuge of her difficult childhood. “Music was my recourse. So, obviously, this Nocturne by Chopin reminds me of the difficult moments of childhood. » When, for example, a teacher of whom he is the head of Turk forces him to remain seated without moving, without even being able to go to the toilet. “The chaos you feel inside at that moment, it was music that allowed me to overcome it. » It even gives him a meaning to the world, to life. Because “someone who plays the piano creates his own universe, his own world,” confirms Lang Lang. We tell ourselves a life story with nuances, contrasts, contradictions. It is a conversation with oneself that is both philosophical and psychological. »

Then, it's Lang Lang's turn to listen to the song Take it Easy by Mika, one of his many hits. From the outset, the concert artist asks him technical questions about the very particular sound of the piano and the guitar.

“I discovered that there was other music than classical when I was 7 or 8 years old. It was with Michael Jackson and Chinese pop artists. It was a shock, but it didn't make me change my genre. My only worry was whether or not I would be successful, and when. I trained all the time. That's all I did. »

Despite very dissimilar personalities and approaches, Mika and Lang Lang have formed a real bond, giving their duo an irresistible charm.

“I remember listening to Mika alone on the piano in front of the Duomo in Milan. I must admit that I cried!

- But that’s what I like! » replies Lang Lang, who also remembers being impressed by the voice of his accomplice when he sang with the countertenor Jakub Józef Orlinski, accompanied by the baroque orchestra of the Royal Opera of Versailles.

If the two artists share a difficult childhood, have their respective phenomenal successes consoled them for these years that we would not wish on any child?

“We both talked about it. Can I say it? Mika asks Lang Lang. Yes, we have indeed asked ourselves the question of the impact of these years on our current lives. » “It’s true that we experienced a bit of the same thing,” adds Lang Lang. “Is this really revenge? asks Mika, before continuing: We are, as artists, born from these difficulties. »

If Mika's parents did not encourage their son's career, it was different for Lang Lang's father, who harbored very personal ambitions through his offspring. Was it too heavy? “Difficult to say when parents push you to try to find your way, and the language that will allow you to express yourself,” Lang Lang answers us. My father discovered my talent very early on. Memory forgets the cruelest moments, because I very quickly loved giving concerts. » And Mika emphasizes: “When you are on stage, you have to let your freedom take over. It's all part of who you are, and we have incredible resilience. Nothing is less creative than the anger of revenge. Music and poetry, on the contrary, allow us this resilience. » “Even if it's a slightly complex mechanism, because certain things come back to memory when you play pieces that you worked hard on as a child, like certain Beethoven sonatas,” Lang Lang intervenes. The music acts like a flashback: you hear yourself playing them like years ago and you immediately remember how you felt then. »

Mika is safe from these dangerous memories. He only plays his own repertoire, while Lang Lang performs that of the great composers. Here they are, evoking Johann Sebastian Bach, “so complicated mathematically and spiritually. How long did you wait to record the Goldberg Variations that you had been playing live for so long? Mika asks.

- Twenty-eight years, replies Lang Lang, smiling, who insists on the fact that the best interpreter of this score remains Glenn Gould, who has made the interpretation evolve so much over the years.

- I too would like to change the interpretations of my songs, but it's not easy, admits Mika. Public expectations are phenomenal. He likes to hear the same things over and over again, as if to reassure himself. People pay for a ticket to have an experience. They need to recognize the hits they liked in order to find themselves. However, redoing a song with an orchestra is very enjoyable. Even if it is totally different. »

No doubt this is why he gave this baroque concert at Versailles, a memory of which he keeps embellished by the presence of his mother, who came when she was at her worst.

If Mika began to go on stage at the age of ten, “for small fees that [he] gave to [his] mother”, Lang Lang was, at the same age, a competition beast with paternal obligation to win them. From this period, they inherited a true empathy for children. “I feel good when I’m with them,” said the concert artist very calmly. We have very honest, very real discussions, and each time it is a great human experience. My chance is to be a citizen of the world thanks to music. I want others to benefit from it. »

“Music gives young people a better view of the world,” adds Mika who, in Lebanon, experienced war. It can change children's lives as it changed ours. It strengthens the human community. A musical community is transsocial. It requires reciprocity. And this provides foundations for the men of tomorrow. » 

FRANCIS DELETRAZ

Mika: her album That your head always blooms (Island) has just been released. He will be on tour from February 26 in Clermont-Ferrand, then for 20 dates including the Accor Arena, in Paris, on March 25.

Lang Lang: his new album dedicated to Saint-Saëns (Deutsche Grammophon) will be released next March. He will be on tour in the spring: in Bordeaux on May 25, in Lyon on June 9, at the Philharmonie de Paris on June 12 and 14.

Thanks a lot for posting.

Le Figaro Magazine

29/12/2023

LeFigaroMagazine-29Dcembre2023-6061.thumb.jpg.20b2c3220e8dd34089c04ec6fd94cb8a.jpg

LeFigaroMagazine-29Dcembre2023-6263.thumb.jpg.f503db2c9c466fb2f8593a9dea18e930.jpg

XVMceff28e8-9dba-11ee-9230-53bd2d62416d.thumb.webp.c139229b8408beb9c1fe226d8cf0a4b3.webp

mika-langlang-figaro-02.thumb.webp.3232d9b4c0e89e4c0ee4f503426c08ed.webp

mika-langlang-figaro-03.thumb.webp.910dd677d137d482452b33d79bf50c68.webp

mika-langlang-figaro-04.thumb.webp.5c399da144a22419e95be054f28d36f5.webp

Edited by Kumazzz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Le Figaro Magazine

29/12/2023

WEB - https://www.lefigaro.fr/musique/mika-et-lang-lang-comment-la-musique-a-change-nos-vies-20231229

Mika et Lang Lang: «Comment la musique a changé nos vies»

RENCONTRE - Réunis à Cardiff à l’occasion d’une émission de la télévision britannique, le chanteur pop et le pianiste classique ont accepté de se lancer dans un dialogue inédit, en exclusivité pour «Le Figaro Magazine», sur leur enfance, leur formation, leur rapport au public... Et les raisons de leur admiration mutuelle.

En une saison, «The Piano» s’est imposée comme une émission phare de Channel 4, la quatrième chaîne de télévision de la BBC. Le concept est connu: un télé-crochet pour jeunes talents avec un jury composé de vedettes. Ici, le pianiste Lang Lang face à la pop star Mika. La nouveauté tient au fait que les candidats jouent sur les pianos mis à la disposition des usagers des gares et non sur un plateau de télévision.

C’est ainsi que les caméras de la chaîne ont débarqué dans les gares de Cardiff, Manchester, Victoria Station à Londres, Liverpool et Édimbourg pour filmer les prestations des prétendants. Avec, en mémoire, la bouleversante lauréate de l’année dernière, Lucie. Talentueuse, aveugle, atteinte d’une maladie génétique, Lucie connaissait toutes les musiques et les avait apprises à l’oreille ou en touchant les doigts de son professeur…

Une émission pour les vrais amateurs

Aux candidats, l’émission ne pose qu’une condition: être de véritables amateurs. Autant dire n’avoir jamais reçu de rémunération pour jouer du piano.

17 hours ago, NaoMika said:

Le Figaro Magazine

29/12/2023

FRANÇOIS DELÉTRAZ

(Google Translation)

A SHOW FOR REAL FANS

FRANCIS DELETRAZ

12 hours ago, Kumazzz said:

Le Figaro Magazine

29/12/2023

LeFigaroMagazine-29Dcembre2023-6061.thumb.jpg.20b2c3220e8dd34089c04ec6fd94cb8a.jpg

LeFigaroMagazine-29Dcembre2023-6263.thumb.jpg.f503db2c9c466fb2f8593a9dea18e930.jpg

Mika et Lang Lang dans la salle des pas perdus de la gare de Cardiff, où sera enregistrée l’émission «The Piano».

Vincent Boisot/Le Figaro Magazine

XVMceff28e8-9dba-11ee-9230-53bd2d62416d.thumb.webp.3ae31b3367181060b2182e3806c65b89.webp

• Like 1

10 hours ago, crazyaboutmika said:

Screenshot_20231229-115448_Gallery.thumb.jpg.49e0919c90be186b358f372444f47d59.jpgfrom Nathalie @mikaclip on instagram

One hour radio interview of Mika by Bernard Montiel on Saturday January 6th from 12 AM to 1 PM on RFM radio

Thanks! Is it prerecorded or live?

VSD

Décembre 2023 (No. 2192)

vsd-decembre-2023.jpg.bd26937eb0207cc489351b2875d1315a.jpg

Mika

Un artiste à la responsabilité d'être engagé et connecté

Avec ses 20 millions d’albums vendus en quinze années de carrière, il est une véritable star internationale. Mais si ses origines sont américaines et libanaises, son coeur penche définitivement pour la France.

Il est l’un des artistes francophones les plus aimés. Après avoir ouvert la retransmission de la finale de la Coupe du monde de rugby en direct du Stade de France, Mika animera cette année encore « The Voice ». Dans cet agenda chargé, il a néanmoins trouvé le temps d’enregistrer son sixième album, « Que ta tête fleurisse toujours » (Universal), entièrement en français.

"Ma musique, c’est d’abord un médicament personnel."

TOUTE UNE PANOPLIE

« Pendant longtemps, ma mère collaborait avec des marques pour élaborer mes costumes de scène, c’était notre secret. Depuis sa disparition [Joannie Penniman est décédée au mois de février 2021, NDLR], j’ai monté mon propre atelier en Italie, où sept personnes travaillent pour moi. L’une de ses premières réalisations, c’est le costume de lumière pour la finale de la Coupe du monde de rugby. Il était constitué de petits miroirs découpés au laser et cousus à la main sur une toile, puis repiqués par-dessous pour que ce soit encore plus solide : il y en avait 9 500 ! Je voulais être entouré de couleurs mais en même temps invisible, comme une illusion. »

INSPIRATION INATTENDUE

« L’idée de la chanson Bougez est venue de Valérie Lemercier. Je l’avais invitée pour faire quelques choeurs dans le refrain du morceau Jane Birkin, ce qu’elle a immédiatement accepté. En arrivant au studio, elle m’a dit : “Tiens, j’ai écrit ça en entendant ces pubs à la radio et à la télé dans lesquelles ils ne cessent de nous vendre de la junk food tout en affirmant que c’est sous notre responsabilité, qu’il ne tient qu’à nous de bouger et de ne pas grossir. Il faut réagir !” Elle en avait vraiment marre et voulait écrire une chanson sur ce sujet. J’ai gardé son idée en tête, et un soir aux Folies Pigalle, alors que je m’ennuyais un peu, j’ai eu comme une vision. Je me suis demandé comment je m’y serais pris si je devais jouer dans cette salle, et me suis soudain transporté au Palace, la fameuse discothèque parisienne des années 1970. J’ai pensé à un orgue d’église et j’ai trouvé l’intro : “Mes bien-aimés/Nous sommes ici pour partager ce qui nous lie/À la télé, à la radio/Vous entendez les mêmes mots… Pour votre santé, bougez !” Le morceau est né comme ça, il sera sans aucun doute le point de départ de la prochaine tournée. Le début d’une grande fête. »

"C’est primordial de ne pas se perdre et d’éviter de jouer un personnage éloigné de soi."

DANS L’INTIMITÉ

« S’il y a dans ce disque une grande tendresse qui correspond à une envie de positiver, je n’oublie pas pour autant le monde qui m’entoure. Je n’imagine pas ma musique comme une récréation, c’est d’abord un médicament personnel. Le fait que j’écrive pour la première fois uniquement en français tout un album m’a permis de raconter des choses plus intimes qu’en anglais : Jane Birkin, qui était encore vivante et que j’adorais, ma mère qui me manque dans C’est la vie, mon conjoint qui déteste Paris et ne veut vivre qu’à la campagne entouré de vaches et de moutons dans Moi, Andy et Paris, ou encore des choses plus sensuelles comme Apocalypse Calypso voire sexuelles dans Sweetie Banana.»

PETIT ÉCRAN

« À la télévision, Il faut trouver une manière de s’exprimer tout en préservant l’artiste, rester soi-même devant la caméra. C’est primordial de ne pas se perdre et d’éviter de jouer un personnage éloigné de soi. Avec son show du “Comeback” en 1968, Elvis Presley racontait quelque chose de très fort, le résultat est exceptionnel. D’autres ont transcendé la télé :

Nat King Cole, Bing Crosby ou Glenn Gould avaient leur émission, Sacha Distel aussi… Et ils ne se sont pas trahis d’une quelconque manière. Surtout, je n’oublie jamais que mon rêve d’enfant restait de chanter. »

COMME UN BLUESMAN

« J’étais encore gamin lorsque ma famille a quitté la France pour l’Angleterre. À cause du changement de vie, j’ai développé ma dyslexie. À l’école, je ne parlais plus, je ne lisais plus, j’avais même oublié comment écrire. J’ai donc été viré de l’établissement et ma mère m’a dit : “On va recommencer à zéro, tu ne vas pas aller à l’école le temps qu’on trouve un nouvel équilibre.” Cela a duré presque un an. J’allais au parc le matin et l’après-midi, je faisais de la musique. Six mois plus tard, j’avais mon premier job à l’Opéra royal de Londres, dans un opéra de Strauss. Je suis ensuite devenu soliste pour eux, et j’enregistrais aussi des pubs, comme pour la British Airways. Je chantais toujours en italien et c’est ainsi que j’ai appris la langue. Je suis alors retourné à l’école tout en continuant à chanter de l’opéra jusqu’à ce que ma voix mue. J’ai voulu continuer au conservatoire mais j’étais recalé à tous les examens de solfège à cause de ma dyslexie. Aujourd’hui encore, je ne lis pas la musique, je joue comme un vieux bluesman, d’instinct.

J’ai supplié le professeur qui m’avait recalé à l’examen de solfège de me redonner une seconde chance. Ce qu’il a fait. J’ai été pris mais je ne suis pas allé au bout du cursus, puisque j’ai enregistré mon premier album. »

LE LIBAN

« J’ai beaucoup d’attaches là-bas. Mon identité, c’est le Liban. Depuis que je suis enfant, j’en entends parler de manière presque mystique. C’est un pays où, dans la même rue, il y avait une synagogue, une église melkite, une église maronite et une mosquée, souvent deux pour les différentes factions. Cette coexistence était possible, pourquoi ne l’est-elle plus ? Mon père, qui est né à Jérusalem, et ma mère, qui était moitié libanaise, moitié syrienne, ont connu ce pays toute leur jeunesse. Aujourd’hui, la menace est partout. On vit une situation où les gens qui perdent le plus sont ceux qui ont le moins de pouvoir et le moins d’accès à l’aide. Ce qui s’est passé en Israël et en Palestine était d’une violence stupéfiante et je crains tellement pour la suite... Un artiste a la responsabilité d’être engagé et connecté, mais également de provoquer plus d’empathie, de toujours ouvrir plus grand la porte à un discours humaniste. Vivre ensemble ne peut être une utopie : ce doit être une réalité et une normalité. »

"Au conservatoire, j’étais recalé à tous les examens de solfège à cause de ma dyslexie."

Spoiler

Mika

An artist with the responsibility to be engaged and connected

With his 20 million albums sold in fifteen years of career, he is a true international star. But if his origins are American and Lebanese, his heart definitely leans towards France.

He is one of the most beloved French-speaking artists. After opening the broadcast of the Rugby World Cup final live from the Stade de France, Mika will host “The Voice” again this year. In this busy schedule, he nevertheless found time to record his sixth album, “Que ta tête fleurisse aussi” (Universal), entirely in French.

“My music is first and foremost a personal medicine.”

A WHOLE RANGE

“For a long time, my mother collaborated with brands to develop my stage costumes, it was our secret. Since her death [Joannie Penniman died in February 2021, Editor's note], I set up my own workshop in Italy, where seven people work for me. One of his first creations was the lighting costume for the Rugby World Cup final. It was made up of small mirrors cut by laser and sewn by hand onto a canvas, then stitched underneath to make it even more solid: there were 9,500 of them! I wanted to be surrounded by colors but at the same time invisible, like an illusion. »

UNEXPECTED INSPIRATION

“The idea for the song Bougez came from Valérie Lemercier. I invited her to do some backing vocals in the chorus of the song Jane Birkin, which she immediately accepted. When I arrived at the studio, she said to me: “Hey, I wrote this after hearing these commercials on the radio and TV in which they keep selling us junk food while claiming that it's under our responsibility, that it is up to us to move and not gain weight. We must react !" She was really fed up and wanted to write a song about it. I kept her idea in mind, and one evening at the Folies Pigalle, when I was a little bored, I had a vision. I wondered what I would do if I had to play in this room, and suddenly transported myself to the Palace, the famous Parisian nightclub of the 1970s. I thought of a church organ and I thought the intro: “My beloved/We are here to share what binds us/On TV, on the radio/You hear the same words… For your health, move!” The song was born like that, it will undoubtedly be the starting point for the next tour. The start of a big party. »

“It’s essential not to get lost and to avoid playing a character far from yourself.”

IN PRIVACY

“If there is a great tenderness in this record which corresponds to a desire to be positive, I do not forget the world around me. I don’t imagine my music as a recreation, it’s first and foremost a personal medicine. The fact that for the first time I wrote only in French an entire album allowed me to tell more intimate things than in English: Jane Birkin, who was still alive and whom I adored, my mother who I miss in It’s life, my partner who hates Paris and only wants to live in the countryside surrounded by cows and sheep in Me, Andy and Paris, or even more sensual things like Apocalypse Calypso or even sexual in Sweetie Banana.”

SMALL SCREEN

“On television, you have to find a way to express yourself while preserving the artist, remaining yourself in front of the camera. It is essential not to get lost and to avoid playing a character far from yourself. With his “Comeback” show in 1968, Elvis Presley said something very powerful, the result is exceptional. Others have transcended TV:

Nat King Cole, Bing Crosby or Glenn Gould had their show, Sacha Distel too... And they didn't betray themselves in any way. Above all, I never forget that my childhood dream was to sing. »

LIKE A BLUESMAN

“I was still a kid when my family left France for England. Because of the change in life, I developed my dyslexia. At school, I no longer spoke, I no longer read, I had even forgotten how to write. So I was kicked out of the school and my mother told me: “We’re going to start from scratch, you’re not going to go to school until we find a new balance.” This lasted almost a year. I went to the park in the morning and in the afternoon I played music. Six months later, I had my first job at the Royal Opera in London, in a Strauss opera. I then became a soloist for them, and I also recorded commercials, like for British Airways. I always sang in Italian and that’s how I learned the language. I then returned to school while continuing to sing opera until my voice changed. I wanted to continue at the conservatory but I failed all the music theory exams because of my dyslexia. Even today, I don’t read music, I play like an old bluesman, instinctively.

I begged the teacher who had failed my music theory exam to give me a second chance. Which he did. I was accepted but I didn't complete the course, since I recorded my first album. »

LEBANON

“I have a lot of ties there. My identity is Lebanon. Since I was a child, I have heard about it in an almost mystical way. It is a country where, on the same street, there was a synagogue, a Melkite church, a Maronite church and a mosque, often two for the different factions. This coexistence was possible, why is it no longer possible? My father, who was born in Jerusalem, and my mother, who was half Lebanese, half Syrian, knew this country throughout their youth. Today, the threat is everywhere. We are living in a situation where the people who lose the most are those who have the least power and the least access to help. What happened in Israel and Palestine was astonishingly violent and I fear so much for what happens next... An artist has the responsibility to be engaged and connected, but also to provoke more empathy, always open the door wider to a humanist discourse. Living together cannot be a utopia: it must be a reality and a normality. »

“At the conservatory, I failed all the music theory exams because of my dyslexia.”

page 100 + 101

VSD-Dcembre2023100101.thumb.jpg.4b0c6994e1f9da8462cf3c4fa4826674.jpg

page 102 + 103
VSD-Dcembre2023102103.thumb.jpg.dd43d01d1de74645f34b46b3c4371b95.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Kumazzz said:

or even more sensual things like Apocalypse Calypso or even sexual in Sweetie Banana.

interesting that he sees it this way. Sweetie Banana plays with double meanings - it's Mika, so it was pretty clear that it's not about an island and food... but it could be interpreted that way. While Apocalypse Calypso is very explicit in the lyrics, no room to interpret anything different into it. And you can hear it in the music and in his voice as well. I wonder if that's what he means by sensual - this song pulls you into the situation, it's not like in SB, Ice Cream or Lollipop where I can just ignore the explicit meaning of the lyrics.

“I was still a kid when my family left France for England. Because of the change in life, I developed my dyslexia. At school, I no longer spoke, I no longer read, I had even forgotten how to write. So I was kicked out of the school and my mother told me: “We’re going to start from scratch, you’re not going to go to school until we find a new balance.” This lasted almost a year. I went to the park in the morning and in the afternoon I played music. Six months later, I had my first job at the Royal Opera in London, in a Strauss opera. I then became a soloist for them, and I also recorded commercials, like for British Airways. I always sang in Italian and that’s how I learned the language.

Huh? Bit of a different story than the one we know. Maybe he didn't want to say it all again in detail, or they shortened it to this.

He also sang in German often back then, but that doesn't mean he learned the language. :teehee: The pronunciation, of course - but he also gets that right in languages he didn't sing in as a child.

What happened in Israel and Palestine was astonishingly violent and I fear so much for what happens next... An artist has the responsibility to be engaged and connected, but also to provoke more empathy, always open the door wider to a humanist discourse. Living together cannot be a utopia: it must be a reality and a normality.

That's true, and I love that he shares his opinion on this. Except that he should've said something like "what happened in Israel and what's happening in Palestine", but I assume that's what he means, just without making it too obvious. The violence keeps happening every day in this area, and he's very right, it's about the people. You don't have to be interested in politics to know that people who just want to live their life in peace get hurt and killed every day and that this is wrong. :tears:

I wanted to be surrounded by colors but at the same time invisible, like an illusion. »

Interesting to hear that this was his intention with the mirror suit. Still trying to be invisible in front of millions of viewers. Luckily it didn't make him become an illusion, but it made him shine as the bright star that he can be on stage. :wub2:

• Like 1