And the award for the World's Best Cheese 2022 goes to Le Gruyère AOP surchoix from Switzerland and the second place to a Gorgonzola Dolce from Italy  - https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/worlds-best-cheese-awards-2022-wales/index.html  

221102160246-world-cheese-awards-2022-winner.jpg

Edited by krysady
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, krysady said:

You know that that's edible Penicillium, right? And you know that Brie and all soft-ripened cheeses are made by mixing mold into the milk during processing? So there's still mold in your favs too 

yes there is also Gorgonzola  that is the same :wink2:

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, krysady said:

You know that that's edible Penicillium, right? And you know that Brie and all soft-ripened cheeses are made by mixing mold into the milk during processing? So there's still mold in your favs too :wink2:

Never eating soft cheese again. 

Kidding, yes I know mould is part of the process. It's just, when it's actually visible, no thanks. Plus blue cheese tends to be strong, and I prefer a mild to mid range.

Do you have a strength rating for cheeses? Our supermarkets label them 1 (very mild, edam) to 5 (very strong, super mature cheddar). I usually hang around the 2-3 range. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Hero said:

Do you have a strength rating for cheeses? Our supermarkets label them 1 (very mild, edam) to 5 (very strong, super mature cheddar). I usually hang around the 2-3 range. 

That's interesting, we don't have that here. I only rate it on what does it taste the red wine after, and so far the blue cheese is the best :naughty:

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

Also why is no one talking about edam?! It's a ball! A food you can actually play with before you eat it! :naughty:

I've never seen it selling here as a ball (I checked though pictures on the net) but only as slices (and here it is called Edamer):

Edamer - Migros

Edit: Ok, I also found a piece:

www-leshop-ch-cld-res.cloudinary.com/image/upload/...

Edited by Prisca
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, krysady said:

That's interesting, we don't have that here. I only rate it on what does it taste the red wine after, and so far the blue cheese is the best :naughty:

I like your system better. :naughty: Doesn't that depend on the wine though? A light merlot or pinot will have a different taste combination than a rich malbec or a complex shiraz. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Hero said:

Ooh I don't think I've had gruyère yet. Tempting!

They are available in different strengths (don't know how many in the UK).

Edited by Prisca
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Hero said:

A light merlot or pinot will have a different taste combination than a rich malbec or a complex shiraz. 

From my experience Cabernet Sauvignon it's the best to complement a blue cheese, but I guess it depends on every one's taste.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, krysady said:

From my experience Cabernet Sauvignon it's the best to complement a blue cheese, but I guess it depends on every one's taste.

Ah. I don't like Cab Sauv either. Your favourites are safe from me! :lol3:

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Hero said:

@silver @mellody could this be resized please? 

Screenshot_20230225-151731_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.36f7dfa1e48adadb515e4afdce0c5b54.jpg

3 hours ago, silver said:

Not sure what the problem is - well within limits for picture size - but I've made it a bit smaller

1 hour ago, Hero said:

Weird, it's still doing it. Oh well never mind - we're on a new page now.

Fixed it, should work now.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

My favourite cheese that I've tried so far is an aged Red Leicester called Red Fox. It's quite a strong taste, very nutty and crumbly :licks_lips:

Seems not only you like this cheese :biggrin2::

Global Cheese Awards 2022:

image.thumb.png.c6c5911d62567726c1c3613cdabc11e3.png

https://www.globalcheeseawards.com/documents/10/Global_Cheese_Awards_Results_2022_n0QU2kE.pdf

• Like 2

4 hours ago, krysady said:

And the award for the World's Best Cheese 2022 goes to Le Gruyère AOP surchoix from Switzerland and the second place to a Gorgonzola Dolce from Italy  - https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/worlds-best-cheese-awards-2022-wales/index.html  

221102160246-world-cheese-awards-2022-winner.jpg

I'm glad you posted this, because by chance I heard on the radio a few days ago that the best Swiss cheese was ranked 28th in the "tasteatlas" (Gruyère). That hurts the Swiss heart, after all Switzerland is a cheese country: don't foreigners like our cheese? :crybaby:I mean what could be worse? Okay, if our best chocolate came in 28th place, that would be worse. :naughty:

https://www.tasteatlas.com/best-rated-cheeses-in-the-world

We even raced in the nineties with cheese suits at the Ski World Cup:

Swiss Ski: Käseunion, Swissair und Swisscom waren auf dem Dress

:lmfao:

Ok, Parmigiano Reggiano in first place is really good (Mika likes it a lot too :biggrin2:).

• Haha 6

4 hours ago, krysady said:

You know that that's edible Penicillium, right? And you know that Brie and all soft-ripened cheeses are made by mixing mold into the milk during processing? So there's still mold in your favs too :wink2:

You can't have cheese without mold, even if it's not visible.

I'm not sure how you can compare cheeses to find "the best".  I mean, I can understand how you could compare different cheeses of the same type - best cheddar, best brie etc - but how do you decide which is best overall?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hero said:

Never eating soft cheese again. 

Kidding, yes I know mould is part of the process. It's just, when it's actually visible, no thanks. Plus blue cheese tends to be strong, and I prefer a mild to mid range.

Yep same with me. I don't want to see anything greenish/bluish

4 minutes ago, silver said:

I'm not sure how you can compare cheeses to find "the best".  I mean, I can understand how you could compare different cheeses of the same type - best cheddar, best brie etc - but how do you decide which is best overall?

Best (*in the opinion of the people acting as judges for this given event. Your tastebuds may differ.)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, silver said:

It's like Mika's songs we all have our fav but there is no way to say one is the very best... :thumb_yello:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I went shopping but I couldn't get brie because I was going to my mother's after and I have no fridge in my car :crybaby:I bought babybel(which keeps out of the fridge)  instead though which is Mikaish too since YoYo video :lmfao:

Edited by crazyaboutmika
  • Haha 2