Don't know if anyone outside the UK knows about this but here we love cheese so much we have an annual cheese rolling event in Gloucester!

Here's a video from last years event:

The Cooper's Hill Cheese-Rolling and Wake happens every May bank holiday where a round double Gloucester cheese is thrown down the hill to roll and people chase after it. And you guessed it, the first person to cross the end line and catch the cheese wins the cheese! 😁

EDIT: In 2020 the rolling was cancelled due to the pandemic but on the day it should have happened a symbolic and somewhat lonely babybel was gently rolled down instead! :lmfao:

Another cheese joke:

Q: What do they shout out at Pantomimes?

Answer

Spoiler

He's Brie-hind you!

Edited by TinyLove_CJ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, silver said:

You can't have cheese without mold, even if it's not visible.

I didn't know that! I thought only for some types of cheese there's mold added during the making process but the rest are mold free. Here we buy a lot of cheese directly from the shepherds and they don't use any mold in the process :dunno:

• Like 1

Guys, do you know the PLAYLIST Ultimate Cheese - ‎Apple Music ?

"Ultimate Cheese" on Apple Music Pop

Because everyone should be allowed to enjoy their guilty pleasures.

https://music.apple.com/gb/playlist/ultimate-cheese/pl.ce771e35d1e24dafa39c0b5b573ded76

include Grace Kelly. :mikacool:

UltimateCheese.thumb.jpg.61d11d6e05a7a3d39cae0837ffc9e7d7.jpg

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, krysady said:

I didn't know that! I thought only for some types of cheese there's mold added during the making process but the rest are mold free. Here we buy a lot of cheese directly from the shepherds and they don't use any mold in the process :dunno:

Yes, as I understand it, there are white mould cheeses (Brie, Camembert, etc.) and blue mould cheeses (Gorgonzola, Roquefort, etc.) and that the other types of cheese have no mould (except harmful mould when they are no longer good). Then there are also red smear cheeses (red smear cultures are added there and not mould) such as Chaumes or Appenzeller.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Hero said:

Has anyone tried Casu Marzu? That's for strong stomachs only! It's actually illegal now I believe. 

Oh my, just read about it! :shocked:  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu_martzu

You're right, it's illegal and sold on the black market nowadays. 

This is  :insane: :

"Casu martzu is considered by Sardinian aficionados to be unsafe to eat when the maggots in the cheese have died. Because of this, only cheese in which the maggots are still alive is usually eaten, although allowances are made for cheese that has been refrigerated, which results in the maggots being killed. When the cheese has fermented enough, it is often cut into thin strips and spread on moistened Sardinian flatbread (pane carasau), to be served with a strong red wine like cannonau. Casu martzu is believed to be an aphrodisiac by Sardinians. Because the larvae in the cheese can launch themselves for distances up to 15 centimetres (6 in) when disturbed, diners hold their hands above the sandwich to prevent the maggots from leaping. Some who eat the cheese prefer not to ingest the maggots. Those who do not wish to eat them place the cheese in a sealed paper bag. The maggots, starved for oxygen, writhe and jump in the bag, creating a "pitter-patter" sound. When the sounds subside, the maggots are dead and the cheese can be eaten."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, krysady said:

Some mold is added, but most cheese starters contain yeast (which is a fungus).

EDIT:  have since discovered that some starters just acidify the cheese and don't contain yeast - eg for curd cheese and cottage cheese

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Hero said:

Mites are everywhere though. Everyone has mites living on them. 

Yep, we have mites on our eye lashes! And other places... 😬

Humans have more living organisms on/in our bodies than the number of cells that actually make up our bodies... not something that bothers me really but I'd rather not think about it all the same! :aah:

Anyway, to keep this back in track with cheese, my least favourite cheese is mozzarella. I will eat pizza with it on as long as there are plenty of other toppings but it's not a cheese I would actively choose to have. I find it leaves a strange after taste  :no:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

, to keep this back in track with cheese, my least favourite cheese is mozzarella. I will eat pizza with it on as long as there are plenty of other toppings but it's not a cheese I would actively choose to have. I find it leaves a strange after taste  :no:

Same, I find it very 'nothingy' - seems it's primary function is to keep other pizza toppings in place! I've had a mozzarella and sun dried tomato salad which was OK, but its not a cheese I'm going to buy for itself. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hero said:

Same, I find it very 'nothingy' - seems it's primary function is to keep other pizza toppings in place! I've had a mozzarella and sun dried tomato salad which was OK, but its not a cheese I'm going to buy for itself. 

6 minutes ago, silver said:

Ah, you've not had a good buffalo mozzarella.

There are two different kinds of Mozzarella: "hard" one for pizzas and soft one (white balls) to eat raw.

• Like 2

Brie has been acquired!

20230303_094831.thumb.jpg.674db12d5453c9535d6d8a7f92fd5597.jpg

I've not tried it yet. I will have some for dinner today, I'm just not sure how 😅

Shall I eat it straight from the packet or put in on something? I have crackers too!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

Brie has been acquired!

I've not tried it yet. I will have some for dinner today, I'm just not sure how 😅

Shall I eat it straight from the packet or put in on something? I have crackers too!

I love brie on a  fresh baguette. A slice of toasted bread is yummy as well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

Brie has been acquired!

It is good straight from the packet, good with bread and maybe red wine (totally optional), you could also eat it with grapes or with green salad.   Some people also butter their bread before putting a slice of brie on  it. Crackers with it sounds good too. Brie should be very creamy, soft and sweet. Sometimes it is too old for me and it tastes like camembert. I try to press it through the wrapper to make sure it is kind of elastic otherwise it is too strong for my taste (unless drinking wine it matters less) If you end up with  a very mature brie butter will help make it less strong. Or you could roast it and top it with honey that is the only way I like camembert: grilled with honey and spread on grilled meat. 

• Like 1