3 minutes ago, Prisca said:

In Switzerland you hardly find British cheese, cheddar, but otherwise. They sell mainly Swiss, French and Italian cheeses.

Same in Romania, we have mostly French and Greek cheese, apart from ours.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Hero said:

Oh, what's Pié d'Angloys like? I think I've seen that sold near me. 

it's a soft creamy cheese with a sort of honeyed taste.   I have been known to just sit and eat a whole one :baghead:

image.jpeg.e5f1d33b6fcb7fe22f202dd6a658da5d.jpeg

And it's French

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Cheddar used to be very hard to find in France. Now it's easier to find it. But there are mostly French and Dutch cheeses on sale in France. If you go to a shop that only sales cheese you get more choice though but they are more expensive too.. 

• Like 1

The traditional British hard cheeses were

Caerphilly (white, crumbly, great for toasting)

Cheddar (deep yellow, hard, can vary from mild to very strong)

Cheshire (white, crumbly, salty)

Double Gloucester (gold, hard, buttery)

Lancashire (white, crumbly, mild but rich)

Red Leicester (red, hard, mild)

Sage Derby (white/green, hard, mild, herby)

Shropshire (orange, hard, mild)

Wensleydale (white, crumbly, creamy)

but there has been an explosion of cheese-making and they reckon there are about 700 varieties now!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, silver said:

The traditional British hard cheeses were

Caerphilly (white, crumbly, great for toasting)

Cheddar (deep yellow, hard, can vary from mild to very strong)

Cheshire (white, crumbly, salty)

Double Gloucester (gold, hard, buttery)

Lancashire (white, crumbly, mild but rich)

Red Leicester (red, hard, mild)

Sage Derby (white/green, hard, mild, herby)

Shropshire (orange, hard, mild)

Wensleydale (white, crumbly, creamy)

but there has been an explosion of cheese-making and they reckon there are about 700 varieties now!

Sage Derby! I've not seen that for years. The Port Derby seems to be more popular round here. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hero said:

Sage Derby! I've not seen that for years. The Port Derby seems to be more popular round here. 

My dad liked Sage Derby.  You can get plain Derby cheese as well.  Wensleydale gets mixed with all sorts of horrors these days (apricots, cranberries, chutney).

• Like 2

Remember the Live in Cartoon Motion documentary, where Mika said "spray on the..." and someone behind the camera suggested "cheese?"? :roftl: And Mika answered "not the cheese, you fool! Spray on the glitter!" :biggrin2: Maybe he has changed his mind now. At least if it's Brie. :naughty:

I like cheese, but I'm not a cheese gourmet. I like my cheese right out of the fridge (I know you're not supposed to do that) and anything that smells too strongly isn't for me. And not keen on blue cheese either. Tho I did eat it at the MFC party in Paris, it was on the Pizza. :teehee: A mild Camembert is fine for me, just like Brie, but I also love Emmentaler, or some sorts of cheese with herbs and smoked cheese. Recently I tried a green Pesto cheese, that was delicious!

• Like 6

I can't believe we now have a cheese thread! This is like the camel obsession all over again! :lol3:

(Now imagine if we could combine the two... :lmfao:)

My favourite cheese that I've tried so far is an aged Red Leicester called Red Fox. It's quite a strong taste, very nutty and crumbly :licks_lips:

I love quite a lot if different cheeses though but there's a whole lot that I haven't tried, and I'll happily try anything at least once. My Mum though only likes cheddar, Red Leicester, gouda and edam. So if I got in lots of cheeses that I didn't end up liking it would be a waste. I'm going to get some brie next week though and give that a try! 

Also why is no one talking about edam?! It's a ball! A food you can actually play with before you eat it! :naughty:

This thread is also a perfect excuse for me to share cheesy jokes too!

Q. Did you hear the cheesy weather forecast?

Answer:

Spoiler

Rain with a light Bries!

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

can't believe we now have a cheese thread! This is like the camel obsession all over again! :lol3:

(Now imagine if we could combine the two... :lmfao:)

Well, actually we already have. :teehee:

image.thumb.png.61ecfecfd116239cf04a6d737275eebc.png

image.thumb.png.da267a4abf381fb76982aee23a7f5df0.png

Hummus with Tilsiter cheese! :biggrin2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Prisca said:

Well, actually we already have. :teehee:

image.thumb.png.61ecfecfd116239cf04a6d737275eebc.png

image.thumb.png.da267a4abf381fb76982aee23a7f5df0.png

Hummus with Tilsiter cheese! :biggrin2:

You've beaten me to it! I've only just logged back on now to go and find this post myself so I'm glad you've shared it! 😁

Now we need a camel actually eating cheese! 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

You've beaten me to it! I've only just logged back on now to go and find this post myself so I'm glad you've shared it! 😁

How about a camel on cheese?

Camelbert! :biggrin2:

Camelbert | Fromage Homage

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

13 minutes ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

Looks like he prefers the head. :teehee:

You made cheddar cheese out of what now? | The Courier Mail

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Prisca said:

Looks like he prefers the head. :teehee:

You made cheddar cheese out of what now? | The Courier Mail

Ha ha ha! it reminds an anecdote told by Alexandra Lamy (playing a camel doctor in Zodi and Tehu).

Just before starting the shooting with camels the director Eric Barbier showed her a video on YouTube.

A guy was not nice with his camel so the animal catched him by his head and thrown the guy in the air!

Then Eric said: you see, camels can be dangerous. Now let's star shooting.

Shocked Scream GIF

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

Also why is no one talking about edam?! It's a ball! A food you can actually play with before you eat it! :naughty:

Edam was my favourite cheese as a kid! These days I prefer something with a bit more nutty flavour, but I'll get mini babybels in sometimes too. 

13 hours ago, mellody said:

some sorts of cheese with herbs and smoked cheese. 

A garlic and herb roule is yummy. Great on hot crumpets! 

Supermarket here does a "Austrian style" smoked processed cheese. It's pretty much 50/50 cheese and butter. It is sooo good. But I don't let myself buy it anymore. :naughty:

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Hero said:

Eww, no blue cheese thanks. Just the thought of eating mould. Even if it's meant to be there! 🤢

You know that that's edible Penicillium, right? And you know that Brie and all soft-ripened cheeses are made by mixing mold into the milk during processing? So there's still mold in your favs too :wink2:

• Like 3